• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
ypEAt25.png

Welcome soldier to the EDF, we need YOU to stop the invaders that have been terrorizing our homes. Use this thread to discuss strategies for exterminating giant insects or share stories of your victories over the enemy. It will be a tough battle to overcome, but i have faith that we can do it. EDF! EDF!! EDF!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the Earth Defense Force ?

Earth Defense Force is a 3rd person shooter franchise made by Sandlot games. You are a soldier tasked with saving the world that has been invaded by giant insects. But fear not as you have the whole weapon arsenal of the EDF at your disposal to blast the invaders back from where they came.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great, so how do i join?

============================================================================================
Monster Attack

oLEhKve.jpg

Released:
June 26, 2003 (jp) / February 27, 2004 (EU) / N/A (NA)
Platform: PS2

=============================================================================================
Global Defense Force

sniKKij.jpg

Released:
July 25, 2005 (JP) / June 29, 2007 (EU) / N/A (NA)
Platforms: PS2, PSP(JP)

=============================================================================================
Global Defense Force Tactics

nG8NXyJ.jpg

Released: July 26, 2006 (JP) / June 29, 2007 (EU) / N/A (NA)
Platform: PS2

Earth Defense Force 2017

ujInwoH.jpg

Released: December 14, 2006 (JP) / March 30, 2007 (EU) / March 27, 2007 (NA)
Platform: XBOX 360

Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon

yIyYSWE.jpg

Released: July 7, 2011 (JP) / July 22, 2011 (EU) / July 5, 2011 (NA)
Platform: PS3 - XBOX360 - PC

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable

WWHQGsQ.jpg

Released:
27 September, 2012 (JP) / 16 January, 2013 (EU) / 8 January, 2013 (NA)
Platform: PSVITA

Earth Defense Force 2025

FmIK5ib.jpg

Released:
July 4, 2013 (JP) / February 21, 2014 (EU) / February 18, 2014 (NA)
Platform: PS3 - XBOX360

Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space

Zs5VLia.jpg

Released:
December 11, 2014 (JP) / February 12, 2016 (EU) / December 8, 2015 (NA)
Platform: PSVITA

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair

iZ4F5wr.jpg

Released:
April 2, 2015 (JP) / February 12, 2016 (EU) / December 8, 2015 (NA) / July 18, 2016 WW (steam)
Platform: PS4 - PC(steam)

E3 2015 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8zeKPcodeQ&t=1s

Super Scout News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1eff1xvLg

==============================================================================

That's great and all, but how about a new challenge?

Earth Defense Force 5

pqOoVUQ.png

Release Date: December 7, 2017 (JP)
Platform: PS4

Screenshots

Trailers

TGS 2016 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Xo_CW7zgw

2nd trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwyFaOy6ok&t

3rd trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_R0_nL5zDE&t=

Livestreams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63Hc5Xnu0c&index=8&list=PLOH-hjjr1nOrBxXXMWFKghTAF1tfvd2iq

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain

suQAawX.jpg

Release Date:

Screenshots

Trailers

Reveal trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlH0xpH-GBA

Gameplay trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbQuiUJ8kjo&t

Earth Defense Force 4.1: Wing Diver The Shooter

p1D4UcD.jpg

Release Date:
Fall 2017

Screenshots

Trailers

Reveal trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL-8n3u2Wiw

It's my first time posting a community OT. Tips on how to improve are appreciated. I'll include more info about the games as well as screenshots later. If you want to contribute to the OP with artwork and whatnot, feel free to PM. Now, troops of the EDF, go forth and defend mother earth. EDF! EDF!! EDF!!!

TO SAVE OUR MOTHER EARTH FROM ANY ALIEN ATTACK!
FROM VICIOUS GIANT INSECTS WHO HAVE ONCE AGAIN COME BACK!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Added some screenshots from EDF 5, iron rain & wing diver the shooter to the OP. Also, roadworker Fencer is best fencer,

djlLq2Bjl0QzCimSPDiIu9zHGrddUMqbfP-L0Qv5ke8LL-lRXKf0A7NsT5gdVhMk_uyRTDISckCCb0esW9r71csZxL8OXin5qscP4hdWsp94AAgrXsvwGLFYYOjqHYDc5KMKTMgf3YB6ipVuqmJmD3R9UFYofWngBSM_riwHwKlLjAoKN4KBEJY2SmnIdzJP8S9XNwjpNUM4BLt8e1ad4G0k57K5gtN9h13I4jaL-5QAkdGxq7GfzP0ABymUeecnCD2ysBEaIXctJ5Htnwqhb67AOJSuxelX4DBWnF-Rbp2FaWzgVwjNwNOqQTi9eLoRq_S1B1T-hQLD3wFOuiWPXEqppc1OxJhJGAnqr0DmRDPB-fpI-bZcJSUuDWY-NOgmIlaprdFse4i4aai3TsA_FltuOQWpeOK56pPF5CVn_3A9-PLWybBojX-5g8MNaxaWUwpQVia4T3SxrCpS3JY669eDS6QMWJT-QsfV1auS8dPLSEHPyFzS26_55f4Z0yQXt8tSw5qk6f_DxOIHrKjL7lHtvgl7AEe9-7XwqT6OxHUJyavX-pH6wfXyEJ87YmXXojW02fePcBz2pPnjr4LE16FO-hfDGoAlQ5k0qjGyF247Ar9Hss6219uWkp4els-Eq8PHsxc5kKYiFPn6i5z703GmAXPY32nEzoc=w1280-h720-no

BarrelofPunis

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for EDF 5 to release. I suppose I will try the Wing Diver game when it comes out, but I am not sure where I stand on Iron Rain. The footage from TGS looked alright, but Yukes reputation from those WWE games is a bit concerning.

OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for EDF 5 to release. I suppose I will try the Wing Diver game when it comes out, but I am not sure where I stand on Iron Rain. The footage from TGS looked alright, but Yukes reputation from those WWE games is a bit concerning.

Iron rain can definitely go both ways. It looks like they're going to try something like Insect armageddon again and i'm not sure i'm excited for that.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Cool OP. EDF is my favorite series in recent times and I'm buying everything they release with that name on it. Even have the crap tapping game on my phone.

Anyone importing EDF5? I can't wait for a western release, so gonna pay through the nose to get it shipped to Denmark.

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
EDF! EDF! EDF!

I only played a bit of 4.1 on my brother's computer (my laptop doesn't have the processing power to handle that!) but I absolutely loved what I played. Should I give the other titles in the series a shot? Unfortunately, out of all those the only ones I can play are the PS2 ones, are they still worth it?

(Also, wasn't there a PSP title?)

OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Cool OP. EDF is my favorite series in recent times and I'm buying everything they release with that name on it. Even have the crap tapping game on my phone.

Anyone importing EDF5? I can't wait for a western release, so gonna pay through the nose to get it shipped to Denmark.

There's a mobile game? Didn't know about that. I'm not sure if i'm going to import EDF5. I'm still having fun with 4.1, so i'm debating on just waiting until 5 releases in the west. We'll see if i cave in once december comes around though.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

I only played a bit of 4.1 on my brother's computer (my laptop doesn't have the processing power to handle that!) but I absolutely loved what I played. Should I give the other titles in the series a shot? Unfortunately, out of all those the only ones I can play are the PS2 ones, are they still worth it?

(Also, wasn't there a PSP title?)

Yeah you're correct, global defense force did release on PSP (but only in japan according to wikipedia)

I haven't played any of the games on PS2, however i did play the vita games which are remakes of the PS2 titles. EDF2 (global defense force on PS2) is my favorite out of the franchise as well. I'm sure that if you can pick it up cheap, you'll have a lot of fun with it.

BarrelofPunis

Oct 27, 2017

I'll be importing it as well.

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
I haven't played any of the games on PS2, however i did play the vita games which are remakes of the PS2 titles. EDF2 (global defense force on PS2) is my favorite out of the franchise as well. I'm sure that if you can pick it up cheap, you'll have a lot of fun with it.
This is great to hear! I'll see what I can do.

It's only on PAL tho, eh? Guess I might be better emulating it than trying to run on real hardware...

Dwayne

Oct 27, 2017
I'm right at the end of EDF2 on Vita atm (normal difficulty). Can someone explain to me how farming works? I'm a bit weak against the stage 72 boss, and I see online that users are going back to earlier levels. Besides collecting armour, how do you farm weapons? Do I play earlier levels on harder difficulties to get better stuff? Do those weapons carry back over to normal difficulty? Cheers

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm right at the end of EDF2 on Vita atm (normal difficulty). Can someone explain to me how farming works? I'm a bit weak against the stage 72 boss, and I see online that users are going back to earlier levels. Besides collecting armour, how do you farm weapons? Do I play earlier levels on harder difficulties to get better stuff? Do those weapons carry back over to normal difficulty? Cheers

I haven't played the Vita version of EDF, but I assume it works the same as the games on console. You just go back to earlier levels and complete them on harder difficulties. The weapons enemies drop will be better than the weapons you get on lower difficulties. Weapons are not restricted to the difficulty that you found them on.

To farm for better weapons I usually find a level that can be completed really quickly and keep bumping the difficulty up on it as I get better weapons.

OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017

To add on what Crash said above, there actually is a great farming mission early on for Ranger. I think it was mission 52 or 53, it's called 'into the abyss'. It's the mission where you start on top of a bunch of spiders in a cave. You want to take the HG-13A grenade (lvl 6 grenade so you should have it) as well as you best assault rifle or shotgun. When the mission starts go a bit to the back and wait for 10 to 15 seconds. Afterwards go to the left edge of where you're on and start throwing the grenades. They take a while to explode so they should go all the way to the bottom. It will take a few minutes but once you've killed practically all the spiders, i usually left 1 or 2 alive. Drop down, collect your loot and kill the last few spiders to finish the mission. This method only works on hardest, as the spiders will climb up to the top of the cave if you play on inferno. But you can still get quite some good weapons from it.

Another strategy what many who play EDF use, is just playing online and tackle inferno missions together with other people. Weapons/armor carries over from online to offline and vice versa. Unfortunately the game is quite dead.

Last edited:

Dwayne

Oct 27, 2017
To add on what Crash said above, there actually is a great farming mission early on for Ranger. I think it was mission 52 or 53, it's called 'into the abyss'. It's the mission where you start on top of a bunch of spiders in a cave. You want to take the HG-13A grenade (lvl 6 grenade so you should have it) as well as you best assault rifle or shotgun. When the mission starts go a bit to the back and wait for 10 to 15 seconds. Afterwards go to the left edge of where you're on and start throwing the grenades. They take a while to explode so they should go all the way to the bottom. It will take a few minutes but once you've killed practically all the spiders, i usually left 1 or 2 alive. Drop down, collect your loot and kill the last few spiders to finish the mission. This method only works on hardest, as the spiders will climb up to the top of the cave if you play on inferno. But you can still get quite some good weapons from it.

Thanks a lot for the advice! Certainly a big jump up from Normal to Hard from what i've played since Crash's comment, I think I might just do this 'exploit' you've mentioned to get it over and done with. Love the game but already 20 hours in and i've got a lot of other stuff to catch up on.

BTW, I got to play EDF5 (twice) and Iron Rain at TGS this year. Can honestly say EDF5 is the most fun i've had playing a game. Can't wait for it to come out :) Iron Rain was fun too, but didn't quite capture the craziness/silliness of EDF.

OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a lot for the advice! Certainly a big jump up from Normal to Hard from what i've played since Crash's comment, I think I might just do this 'exploit' you've mentioned to get it over and done with. Love the game but already 20 hours in and i've got a lot of other stuff to catch up on.

BTW, I got to play EDF5 (twice) and Iron Rain at TGS this year. Can honestly say EDF5 is the most fun i've had playing a game. Can't wait for it to come out :) Iron Rain was fun too, but didn't quite capture the craziness/silliness of EDF.

Yeah, the EDF games are a massive grind if you want to tackle the harder difficulties.

Glad to hear you enjoyed EDF5. From the stuff i've seen, it's looking to be very good. Can't wait to kill some giant alien frogs.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh, so excited for EDF5. I wish the JP and US version could share save files. I'd totally double dip if so. Are the usual co-op options in EDF5? I'm hoping here's local split screen that can co-op with two more online...

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
Hey EDF Era, I started a new save file for 4.1 and could use some farming help.
Additionally I'd be happy with more advanced how to play videos, as I'm useless without a wing diver.

OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Hey EDF Era, I started a new save file for 4.1 and could use some farming help.
Additionally I'd be happy with more advanced how to play videos, as I'm useless without a wing diver.

If you're on ps4 i can give you a hand with that. (if you have the mutants DLC for the golden darkness mission it's even easier) Don't play it on PC sadly.

In my opinion the steam guide section has the best pool of resources. There are some great guides there that give you a breakdown of each of weapons and how to use them. This is especially useful when playing fencer/air raider as those are the harder classes to get into. When it comes to farming weapons/armor there are various ways to go about that, but having the mutants DLC has the best missions for farming.

Dwayne

Oct 27, 2017
Hadn't seen this live action ad for EDF3 Portable before! Can't find any subtitles around for it, still entertaining tho.

Dwayne

Oct 27, 2017
Finished EDF2 on Vita btw! Final level wasn't that great but I did like the ending ;) I've been hoping to pickup copies of the PS2 games while on holiday in Europe but have had absolutely no luck so far (though i've seen a lot of other goodies). Might have to import them when I get home :(

OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to try different combinations of support equipment on the Fencer, though it will make playing the Japanese version even more difficult when you don't understand the language.

I just recognized your username. I saw a few of your youtube vids. You sure know how to play fencer man!

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks xZoneHunter . It's gonna be interesting to see how the characters are balanced this time around and with the amount of equipment and weapons it likely has, the number of strategies and different playstyles are gonna be enormous.

Do we know if EDF5 still has splitscreen? Tried to find a shot of the back of the box, but couldn't find one.

Dwayne

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't really looked closely at these until now, but here's the controls for EDF5 and Iron Rain. Photos aren't the best as it wasn't clear if I was allowed to take photos so I took them on the sly.
img_0351g4u74.jpg
img_0352o9u3d.jpg

Also here's the booth. Pretty cool! The robot animated too.
img_03531ruy4.jpg

OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't really looked closely at these until now, but here's the controls for EDF5 and Iron Rain. Photos aren't the best as it wasn't clear if I was allowed to take photos so I took them on the sly.

Also here's the booth. Pretty cool! The robot animated too.

Well i can already see the ranger having an extra button to call in vehicles? Also a much needed sprint(fly faster) button on both classes.

Booth looks awesome indeed.

Dwayne

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo... Wing Diver the Shooter is out today on Japanese PSN! There's some impressions over at shmups. Best part is bar the voices (which are subtitled) it's all in English. Hopefully a quick release for the West.

OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo... Wing Diver the Shooter is out today on Japanese PSN! There's some impressions over at shmups. Best part is bar the voices (which are subtitled) it's all in English. Hopefully a quick release for the West.

Yeah, it surprisingly has an english setting. So it'll probably be localized pretty quickly.

I've been watching a friend of mine play it. It looks pretty fun albeit rather short.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah! Will try over the weekend. I guess we should expect some framerate improvements?

The game is capped at 60fps and as long as you're looking away or far away from enemies, it hits it quite often on a normal One, but as soon as you get close to a group of enemies the framerate takes a hit. Been a while since I played it on 360, so I can't say how much of an improvement the BC version is. The most important part is that it's BC at all and still wonderfully playable, even if 4/2025 had many improvements this lacks. If One X can get closer to a consistent 60fps that's even better, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was CPU limitations holding it back like 4.1 on PC/PS4.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Woahhh...
I just started the process of setting up a JPN PSN account because i need EDF5 in my veins. And holy shit....the digital psn cards are crazy expensive....I want to play EDF5...but i don't know if i want it for $100...

Anyone have some leads on some cheaper PSN codes? i was expecting like...$75 bucks, not $100

OP
OP
xZoneHunter

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Woahhh...
I just started the process of setting up a JPN PSN account because i need EDF5 in my veins. And holy shit....the digital psn cards are crazy expensive....I want to play EDF5...but i don't know if i want it for $100...

Anyone have some leads on some cheaper PSN codes? i was expecting like...$75 bucks, not $100

Pcgamesupply has them for 3000 yen & 1000 yen each.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been watching some streams in anticipation of my copy to arrive. I'm hoping I get it before Christmas somehow.
Looks like they changed quite a bit, from equipable cores to how the weapons actually work. nice.
Also loving the new damage system with the various layers, both on buildings and on enemies.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I just got 4.1. First time playing this series. Pretty fun so far. I'm mostly using Air Raider right now, on mission 13 or so. All the power suits handle like ass. I get it's supposed to be slow and lumbering but the turning speed especially really seems like overkill. It takes ages to turn 90 degrees. Will this improve at all with higher level suits?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I just got 4.1. First time playing this series. Pretty fun so far. I'm mostly using Air Raider right now, on mission 13 or so. All the power suits handle like ass. I get it's supposed to be slow and lumbering but the turning speed especially really seems like overkill. It takes ages to turn 90 degrees. Will this improve at all with higher level suits?

It depends on what mech you're using. Some will be slow, some will almost be too fast. IMO Air Raider is the strongest character in the game in co-op, but being a support character he does have some drawbacks solo.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on what mech you're using. Some will be slow, some will almost be too fast. IMO Air Raider is the strongest character in the game in co-op, but being a support character he does have some drawbacks solo.
Guess I've just yet to unlock the fast ones then, cool. The lack of mobility wasn't that much of a problem when fighting, it's just that if my friend and I clear out a wave and have to move somewhere else, hoo boy. Might as well just jump out and run there while waiting for another drop to reload.

There's so many damn options with Air Raider I wish he had a fourth slot. Or maybe make the third slot not vehicles only. More new stuff unlocks than I can even try in the next mission or two. lol