Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
He pointed out the obvious that was talked about in the article. If you don't think that post was motivated out of weirdo defensive fanboyism, you're a weirdo fanboy.

THere's no way that dude read the article, he saw the Smart Delivery mention in the OP and had a fit.

Sort of like all of you responding to him saw Sony and crossbuy mentioned and had a fit. OMG everyone who posts any thing in this thread is a weirdo fanboy /s

But seriously I took the infographic of crossbuy as a response to the posts following the OP questioning if Sony would implement such a thing.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Because the hardware on PS5 and Xbox Series X are more powerful versions of the hardware on PS4 and Xbox One, I'm expecting another PS4 Pro / One X situation. The game software is the same but the game changes graphics settings depending on which console it's being run on.

And maybe unlocking higher res textures which probably wouldn't be on the original disc/download

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Any game that released on all platforms (from the moment the Vita launched). Last of Us was a special case indeed cause that was more of a remaster needed to be rebuild due to different architecture. With PS5 that won't be needed anymore. They can just up the sliders and work through backwards compat.

One of the first things they said was "to have the PS4 user base transition to PS5 at a pace never seen before". Not supporting their own cross-buy initiative would not only be a step back but also counteract that statement.
A quick search shows Little Big Planet 3 was not cross-buy even though it was cross-platform and launched after the PS4 was out. It looks like pretty much all others were PS Network games.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I hope everyone doing crossgen doesn't mean we won't be getting the first real next gen games until 2023

That's pretty much what I expect. Major 3rd party devs aren't moving to next-gen for 2-3 years IMO. There won't be nearly as many early next-gen adopters because of the pandemic, higher price, and limited supply.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hopeful that EA will just use Xbox's Smart Delivery terminology and system, as opposed to doing their own, identical thing, just causing brand confusion.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A quick search shows Little Big Planet 3 was not cross-buy even though it was cross-platform and launched after the PS4 was out. It looks like pretty much all others were PS Network games.

The case and point is still that both those version were completely different (PS3/PS4 architecture not similar at all so extra work to port it to the new platform). PS4/PS5 doesnt have this issue.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It would be pretty weird if PS5 had separate versions of games, considering PS5 has BC and games can easily be patched (or designed in development) to take advantage of PS5, just like Series X will.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sort of like all of you responding to him saw Sony and crossbuy mentioned and had a fit. OMG everyone who posts any thing in this thread is a weirdo fanboy /s

But seriously I took the infographic of crossbuy as a response to the posts following the OP questioning if Sony would implement such a thing.
There is difference between offering crossbuy on indie game's (flower) and big games (last of us)

as long as there is no last of us 2 remastered on ps5 I'm sure the world won't burn.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume EA are adopting Smart Delivery specifically for thier Xbox games.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The case and point is still that both those version were completely different (PS3/PS4 architecture not similar at all so extra work to port it to the new platform). PS4/PS5 doesnt have this issue.
Yeah, I think it will happen and I mentioned the differing architecture when I mentioned The Last of Us for both platforms.

However I don't think it's absolutely 100% certain. You said it will happen because they did cross-buy in the past, however the cross-buy that they did in the past isn't exactly the same as the cross-buy that Microsoft promised, or that EA seems to be talking about here. Previous Sony cross-buy seemed to be focused on smaller PS Network games, and excluded their few big name releases.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I love how in every thread like this we get to hear about how Sony did it first, yes they technically did and nobody cares, people want to know if they're gonna do it now. Plus because it was only for indies some are worried and want to know, Last of Us wasn't free, BF4 wasn't free, Resogun wasn't free except for PS3/Vita, PS2 games weren't free, is it really so hard to hear praise for EA or MS.

The iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, look how that turned out. People just want to hear it from them.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
There is difference between offering crossbuy on indie game's (flower) and big games (last of us)

as long as there is no last of us 2 remastered on ps5 I'm sure the world won't burn.

If there is TLOU 2 Remastered, I'm sure people won't buy it in tons like the first because the original game will be BC.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yup!
Battlefield_upgrade.png
I remember being really happy about this but in retrospect, $10 for the equivalent of somebody going into the graphics settings for you was a rip off.

Love that Microsoft is pushing for free upgrades as a standard and looking forward to when Sony eventually has to follow.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They were the first to made you pay for The Last of Us on PS4 even you had it on PS3.

Again, not the same architecture and engine. Improvements were confirmed at Cerny talk. And I'm sure MS sells remasters as well.

And some people are concerned about TLOU 2 remastered when they aren't even buying the game once lol

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They were the first to made you pay for The Last of Us on PS4 even you had it on PS3.
I really have no idea what you are getting at. Every platformholder made you pay for "enhanced ports" around that time. The Last of Us released a year later on PS4 with a complete technical overhaul and all DLC included. It's a different SKU, not a cross-gen game releasing at the same time on 2 platforms.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Again, not the same architecture and engine. Improvements were confirmed at Cerny talk. And I'm sure MS sells remasters as well.

And some people are concerned about TLOU 2 remastered when they aren't even buying the game once lol

MS have confirmed they're not selling remasters. Beyond that it's up to the individual publishers.

The idea says that if you buy a Microsoft game for your Xbox One or One X, and then later decide to upgrade to a Series X, you will not have to rebuy that game, you will simply have access to the "highest quality" version of that game on the Series X from your singular purchase, even if an entirely separate version has been relesaed.

While Microsoft can only guarantee that their own games will follow this practice (like how every Xbox first party game comes with a PC version these days), they have opened up the system to allow for third parties to do the same. And now we have our first major player jumping in, CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-series-xs-remaster-free-utopia/#2cecda66614b

So hopefully Sony (and third parties) will follow suit on this as well.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Very nice. I hope with EA Access and Smart Start or whatever its called the games update and are ready to roll the day you change out your one for a series x etc.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Wow, this is amazing. Expected a lot of this to happen but EA are probably the people I last expected to do it.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
HA! There it is. PS5 has it too. Thanks EA! Made no sense to do it for one and not both. Would look dumb for third parties to do that.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Because the hardware on PS5 and Xbox Series X are more powerful versions of the hardware on PS4 and Xbox One, I'm expecting another PS4 Pro / One X situation. The game software is the same but the game changes graphics settings depending on which console it's being run on.

That's essentially BC. Cross-buy, "X Enhanced", or Smart Delivery gets you new assets and display options entirely.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
They were the very first to do cross-buy. There is 0% chance they will not do it again.
Cross buy is not the same thing as smart delivery though. With that you buy one disc and it works on both, but downloads different files.

PS4 cross buy was a digital only thing, you couldn't buy a ps3 version of TLOU and have it work on ps4.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'm pretty sure I had to buy gears 1 and Forza Horizon 2 twice as well.... I mean not to go off topic but let's not create some false narratives that Sony is the devil here...

On topic this is great news and means I can buy FIFA without worry

That is really immaterial to this discussion. This is about announced policies from this gen To next gen. It's of no import what anyone did 7 years ago. What's important is what's going to be in place by November

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Honestly, i think this is the only Next Gen feature where the conversation around it makes it even more stupid and complex to understand something that was supposed to be simple.

Remasters will still be sold.
However, Crossgen titles you just have to buy one to get the other.

Not that hard to grasp so far. Ok.

However, with Retrocompatibilty, you can already play the previous console game on the new one. Albeit, probably no enhancements. Or minor ones. So, if you are buying the console at launch or just early, this feature is not that huge for you. You either already have the game playable or you are just buying it for the new console anyways.

Regardless if you have it on Physical or DIgital, once you put the old disc into the new console, it would "upgrade" which essentially means it will download a patch (most likely) with enhanced stuff. Or maybe it will just unlock Graphical options internally. ( Nioh's different modes is a more clear example).

This tells me the most obvious thing... They are opting to not sell you the game again and instead give you a minor boost for console leaping for free and turn that into a Marketing positive.

They are not putting any extra work for the "Upgraded" versions of any game. They Spec for the big boy, and lock stuff back down until it's the best it can be on the older consoles. THey don't expend any extra money on it, but get the added benefit of Positive marketing of "We are giving you the upgraded version of the game for FREE!! It's like buy 1 get 2!!!"

Thus... it's fucking stupid to be arguing over any of it, in less than 6 months it will be a non-issue to be discussed anyway.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
This needs it's own name for Sony, should call it smart play. One version for all.

I'm sure they'll have some kind of branding for it. I know a lot of people have doubts that Sony will even do this, but I'd be surprised if they don't. With more and more publishers seemingly getting behind it, I imagine Sony will follow suit.

Personally I'm hoping Activision use Smart Delivery on Series X so I can get the best version of COD 2020 out of the box. I had my doubts they'd do it, but with EA jumping on board...well, maybe there's a chance.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
So much misinformation in this thread already.

Sony had crossbuy for some indie titles and had the option to upgrade for a fee on some larger games.
It didn't apply to all releases.
They haven't confirmed yet that they'll support crossbuy for ps5 though they almost certainly will.

MS has committed to smart delivery for all first party releases.
The system is open for publishers to use.

Smart delivery is (and should always be) native versions. This is what MS is doing. It should not be enhanced BC. We already know the PS4 versions of TLOU2 etc. will work fine on PS5.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure I had to buy gears 1 and Forza Horizon 2 twice as well.... I mean not to go off topic but let's not create some false narratives that Sony is the devil here...

What narrative did I try and create? I literally said in that post that I think Sony will follow suit and do exactly the same. People just want to hear them make that commitment. I also didn't mention Microsoft at all, so I'm not sure why that's relevant here either.

You people need to chill out. Sony isn't being 'attacked' here, and not everything ties into console warz. This forum is getting increasingly tiresome.

TLOU PS3 is not the same game as TLOU Remastered. It's different with BC.

Oh stop this. It's the same game. Is Star Wars on VHS a different film than Star Wars on DVD, because the DVD is on a different player, looks better and has a directors commentary? Of course not.

If that kind of effort was needed today there's no way in hell EA would give it away for free.

Let's not pretend that either of us actually know the amount of effort that it takes to upgrade any game whatsoever, whether it's made by Naughty Dog or one of EA's developers. We don't.
What we do know is that, regardless of effort, we're not being charged for it anyway. So it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

score01

Oct 27, 2017

yeah it's odd, they all sold remasters at the start of and during the gen. should uncharted remasters /collection have been free for PS3 owners? What about the Halo remasters and collection? There's some odd arguments being banded about this thread.

In any case, though not official yet, it's good to kind of get a confirmation that Sony will be offering the same deal re cross gen games etc as many with any common sense predicted. I sure hope we can move on from this argument now...

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why I triggered so many people saying the oblivious.

The article says Playstion doesn't have that feature, but it actually has (even before Xbox).
We still need confirmation for this generation. A small number of examples of past precedence cannot be taken as read for the future. Just ask those of us who wrongly assumed PS4 would get PS1 support like every single system prior.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway, I believe EA did this with battlefield 4 correct? There was a program they implemented if you purchased that on 360 you either got the ps4/Xbox version for free or a heavy discount.
Sony had a $10 upgrade program offering upgrades for the big 2013 AAA releases:
blog.us.playstation.com

How to Upgrade Select PS3 Games to Their PS4 Versions

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch_Dogs, and Battlefield 4 are the supported titles for this program. When you buy the Blu-ray Disc or digital version of these select PS3 games, for a limited time, you will receive an entitlement to download a PS4 digital copy of the...

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly couldn't even name a game theyre working on that isn't fifa so...fun I guess.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was kinda hoping this'd be the standard. I actively do not want to see "Remastered" versions of current gem games, just print a new box for them like Microsoft did with a few 360 games

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Does this announcement tell me
- if I buy on PS4 I can also download that version for PS5
- if I buy on PS4 I can download an enhanced version for PS5
- if I buy on PS4 I can access a fully charged PS5 release

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping these policies will avoid a Bastion situation for myself this upcoming gen. Bought the Xbox 360 version but missed the one month window where the Xbox One version was available for free to those who bought on X360. I didn't miss the free upgrades on Castle Crashers and Mark of the Ninja...just Bastion.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Because people are always saying "but what about Sony" pointing out they already have a thing is pretty reasonable.
Not only that, but the 5th post explicitly bought up Sony....

This is good to hear. If individual publishers are doing it its good news for alot of games. A reminder there were a handful that did this for a fee the start of this gen so precedence is there.

Does this announcement tell me
- if I buy on PS4 I can also download that version for PS5
- if I buy on PS4 I can download an enhanced version for PS5
- if I buy on PS4 I can access a fully charged PS5 release
The biggest question, I would like to know too.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not pretend that either of us actually know the amount of effort that it takes to upgrade any game whatsoever, whether it's made by Naughty Dog or one of EA's developers. We don't.
What we do know is that, regardless of effort, we're not being charged for it anyway. So it doesn't matter.
I'm not pretending anything. ND has been pretty open about Last of Us PS4 development. Unless you're saying people at ND are lying.