• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I honestly think that if they do top 10s again (which Jones seems to despise after working on them for years), they should do it each month or maybe even each 2 or 3 months or so. Not every week.

It is impossible to keep creating new quality lists each week and it's way too much work as it's probably hours of discussion to come up with a list for which works for everybody (think about the GOTY's stream).
Then you have to capture footage of the thing you are talking about and edit it.

I know it seems like an easy thing to create at first glance, but I think it's more work than you would expect to keep creating those lists.

edit:
Also, there are tons of channels which have those lists. I am not convinced creating top 10s will net you a lot of new Patrons. It will get you more views and probably youtube subs, but I don't think it will get you a lot of new Patrons. What makes them different from all those other lists/channels?

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
If they were to do top 10 in some form, the idea i had was to merge it with the Huber gameshow idea. Take Huber's concert idea but work it with the crew in a fast and loose show and show the group dynamics/debates in a 10-15 minute slice

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Top 10s would only be an interesting thing if they streamed the deliberations. As much as I don't care for the lists, I'd love to see those arguments.

TheMadMan007

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Top 10s would only be an interesting thing if they streamed the deliberations. As much as I don't care for the lists, I'd love to see those arguments.
Those deliberations always spawn the best conversations about games. There is a reason why I love top___ lists. It has nothing to do with the rankings themselves, its the picking apart the game and evaluating the best and worst parts of a game and comparing them to another game.

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is the place to vent:

It does suck to see Reaction Shots and Friend Code gone for April, I've been a constant Patreon and Twitch supporter for a long time now and seems like a slap to the face. I feel those in the $7+ tier are being punished for something that a sponsor have a hold on. With that said, having no announcements at the 2 year was pretty illogical when you want people hyped for the upcoming year. Maybe it was my fault (and others) for expecting something - but to be in a "cruise control" state isn't the best when you have a 50K goal.

I really want to see them get an office, but like others have said you have to put fuel into that fire if you want to make it a reality with content that people actually want. At the end of the day, I'm just a fan and I trust their vision. I just hope lessons can be learned with the recent slip under 40k and feedback received recently.

Last edited:

Zarmander

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't see the appeal of Top 10 lists. They were really scraping the bottom of the barrel at GT and seemed to waste a lot of time capturing footage. Their thoughts are well known about which games they love, I don't see how adding Top 10s is either fun or a good use of their time.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Since this is the place to vent:

It does suck to see Reaction Shots and Friend Code gone for April, I've been a constant Patreon and Twitch supporter for a long time now and seems like a slap to the face. I feel those in the $7+ tier are being punished for something that a sponsor have a hold on at the end of the day. With that said, having no announcements at the 2 year was pretty illogical when you want people hyped for the upcoming year. Maybe it was my fault (and others) for expecting something - but to be in a "cruise control" state isn't the best when you have a 50K goal.

I really want to see them get an office but like others have said you have to put fuel into that fire if you want to make it a reality. At the end of the day, I'm just a fan and I trust their vision. Just hope lessons can be learned with the recent slip and feedback received after the 2 year.

The more I think about it situation with the $7 patrons the more it annoys me too. I don't use any of the things that unlock at the $7 level BUT I understand how frustrating it must be for someone who donates that amount specifically to get the rewards and instead you get nothing. There is nothing stopping you from lowering your pledge to a lower tier until reaction shots comes back. It might seem counter intuitive but if you don't feel like your getting your money's worth than do what you think is right.

I would hope that the allies would do something different to replace the rewards unlocked at that tier since they are useless this month but they have not announced anything yet. At the same time spending money you don't on a replacement thing because you had to drop a show because you don't have the money seems like a bad idea too. It's a flaw in the system that will hopefully get fixed this month when the patreon gets reworked.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Top 10s should stay dead

Unless they want to do gag ones on stream and then cut them down to a short video. I would be OK with that.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, I thought it was a really negative joke that hurts the whole group, but I don't think that changes my point. Kyle clearly struggles with self-promotion.
You weren't stating that Kyle struggles with self-promotion. You were saying it would be hard to Kyle to take the group seriously and work hard.

Kyle can't promote their patreon without laughing and encourages people to scam them so expecting him to actually go into specifics like that would probably be a really hard mountain to climb.
We all know that he cares about Easy Allies and works hard. This comment was silly spite, not meaningful criticism.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
As long as noodles and broth is back for E3 I'm good. Noodles and broth is top tier EZA content.

I gotta say, there's been a lot of good suggestions in this thread over the last week or so, but I've also seen some stuff that's kind of upsetting. Things like cutting Huber Syndrome, cutting or changing Easy Update, and streaming more popular games would, in my opinion, start to take away from what makes EZA special.

I understand making tweaks and changes but at it's core EZA is a handful of extremely creative individuals sharing their creativity in ways unique to them with a small but passionate audience and I would hate to see some of their most unique content disappear.

Deimo5

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think that if they do top 10s again (which Jones seems to despise after working on them for years), they should do it each month or maybe even each 2 or 3 months or so. Not every week.

It is impossible to keep creating new quality lists each week and it's way too much work as it's probably hours of discussion to come up with a list for which works for everybody (think about the GOTY's stream).
Then you have to capture footage of the thing you are talking about and edit it.

I know it seems like an easy thing to create at first glance, but I think it's more work than you would expect to keep creating those lists.

edit:
Also, there are tons of channels which have those lists. I am not convinced creating top 10s will net you a lot of new Patrons. It will get you more views and probably youtube subs, but I don't think it will get you a lot of new Patrons. What makes them different from all those other lists/channels?

It doesn't need to be 10 things nor the 'top' of those things (soften the messaging) and not doing it weekly is fine.
It shouldn't have to represent all 9 allies views although more opinions is always nice. A lot of Huber Syndromes are pseudo lists already and Kill Your Babies wasn't weakened by having 2-3 people. You could look to how review scores are presented too.
There are also a ton of channels that do reviews and podcasts but who would want to get rid of those? Would you say the Easy Allies Podcast is 'just another' podcast? Why exactly do people pledge anyway? It's interesting.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Top 10s should stay dead

Unless they want to do gag ones on stream and then cut them down to a short video. I would be OK with that.
That's kind of what i was thinking when having the Huber gameshow idea

This was a really fun Q&A last week. I recommend a watch. There's a mix of fun banter, GT lore in how they got into streaming, kyle car lore, and I believe this also includes Huber's first pitch of Huber hype. Check it out

Last edited:

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Don's Design Lab being one of the tournament stream picks really irritates me. It's likely going to win too.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Can I vote for a veto of Design Lab being a poll option instead? I feel like it doesn't fit a tournament setting, and it's going to win by default because people see "Don" and vote it.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all on Monday can we just agree to switch our vote to what is in second place? Cause the Design thing is winning otherwise.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
It annoys me too. I love the gimmick streams but we don't need one every week. The stadium mini games should win imo.

The gimmick streams are great (it would be hypocritical of me to say otherwise!) but it seems impossible for anything to best them in the poll, making it seem redundant if there is one there every week. Tournament week seemed like one you could guarantee would be a game-ass game.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think there should be a per month limit to gimmicks or Design Labs.

Yes, Jones and his Raccoon City were neat, but not "hey, creating levels would be a great tournament" neat.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all on Monday can we just agree to switch our vote to what is in second place? Cause the Design thing is winning otherwise.
Yea this gimmick voting is getting absurd. I voted samurai gun at first, moved it to sonic since it had the largest second place lead. And it shouldn't be allowed to have Dons name if he doesn't oversee it.

I'm ready for The Allies to stream what they want for a while. These patrons don't seem to understand the concept of moderation. If it's not a gimmick, it's something Nintendo. They're both can produce great streams but you need to spread them out. If these voters had their way Hall of greats would be every other week

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just looking at the current goals, I think there should be some shake-ups.

Huber Syndrome - $4,000 per month
Tabletop Escapades - $6,000 per month
Easy Update - $8,000 per month
Frame Trap - $10,000 per month
Reviews - $15,000 per month
Game Sleuth - $20,000 per month
Retrospectives - $30,000 per month
Reaction Shots AND Friend Code - $40,000 per month
Trailer Jones - $45,000 per month
A New Studio - $50,000 per month

The few Game Sleuth's and Retros that they've released have been great (Let's not talk about Dragon Boosters), but they hit those goals day one, but we're at 2 Retros (2 more in the works, right?) and 5 GS (with some in the works too). I understand that they require more work in them, but should they be that low on the goals then? There was more work put in to those than Trailer Jones, but Trailer Jones is worth more. I think they should be shifted up higher, above $40k, and become a focus, or at least be more communicative about them, if they hit the goals. Someone mentioned having more goals in between $40k and the Studio, those types of pieces, consistently released, would help it.
Even a goal that shows when another Ally can work full time would help push the amount.
Throw some goals after the Studio too, show what would be possible with that Studio and what to look forward to.

Edit: Also, how have stream numbers been since the switch to community suggestions compared to new games?

Oct 26, 2017
I know the allies work hard but I think some or all of them should try out making Jones' garage their office. By that I mean have them get together and go to work for 8 or so hours at the garage multiple days a week. Right now it feels like they all get together on tuesdays and then scatter for the rest of the week, and that hurts their greatest strength of being together.

Otherwise I'm not sure what good a studio ultimately offers them if they are all doing separate things. Maybe many of them have other jobs? But that also doesn't get resolved by a studio. I feel weird talking about things like this when we don't know the full picture, but that's part of the problem as well. I just wish they were together more often.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It doesn't need to be 10 things nor the 'top' of those things (soften the messaging) and not doing it weekly is fine.
It shouldn't have to represent all 9 allies views although more opinions is always nice. A lot of Huber Syndromes are pseudo lists already and Kill Your Babies wasn't weakened by having 2-3 people. You could look to how review scores are presented too.
There are also a ton of channels that do reviews and podcasts but who would want to get rid of those? Would you say the Easy Allies Podcast is 'just another' podcast? Why exactly do people pledge anyway? It's interesting.
While I understand where you are coming from. It's indeed an interesting question on why exactly people are pledging.

Reviews and especially the podcasts have their personality mixed into them. Which makes podcasts different between different channels (not only EZA).
Top x lists or lists in general are just a list with some footage under them. To be clear, I enjoy watching lists like that from time to time, but I am not sure it will help EZA except for getting more views and exposure on youtube.
I don't think it will necessarily translate to Patreon as it's usually people who quickly watch a top 10 when they see it on youtube, but getting those people to subscribe or pledge on Patreon is a whole different thing.

Maybe the exposure on youtube is worth it, I don't know. Maybe I am wrong, but if you hear how Brandon is talking about those lists, I don't think it is worth killing their mental health over them.

Edit:
Imo asking them to do shows they clearly don't want to do / don't want to do anymore isn't the solution.
I am sure they have thought about a lot of options to do. Just wait and see what they come up with.

They clearly have decided not to announce too much at a time until and only announce it when it's ready to be announced (after the Souls Retro last year), so we just have to be patient. It is clear they have some things in the works.

They also showed 2 new shows on their anniversary (even though we already knew about Box Peak, it was still a new show).

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Reaction Shots doesn't work at all. Maybe it would if it was just a new movies review/discussion show, but as it is, it's not really something that most people would want to consistently tune into. It doesn't really have an identity, IMO.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it situation with the $7 patrons the more it annoys me too. I don't use any of the things that unlock at the $7 level BUT I understand how frustrating it must be for someone who donates that amount specifically to get the rewards and instead you get nothing. There is nothing stopping you from lowering your pledge to a lower tier until reaction shots comes back. It might seem counter intuitive but if you don't feel like your getting your money's worth than do what you think is right.

Patreon isn't a store. People should not look at it like they paid X to get Y. They are giving X in hopes that the Allies can do A, B and maybe C. I have no idea what my contribution level entitles me to because it's not about me, I spend the money to liberate the Allies from the traditional requirements of covering games for a living.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Patreon isn't a store. People should not look at it like they paid X to get Y. They are giving X in hopes that the Allies can do A, B and maybe C. I have no idea what my contribution level entitles me to because it's not about me, I spend the money to liberate the Allies from the traditional requirements of covering games for a living.

Right, but there are lots of people who can't afford to support someone JUST to support them, and that's why there are rewards for the tiers in the first place.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
If they were to do top 10 in some form, the idea i had was to merge it with the Huber gameshow idea. Take Huber's concert idea but work it with the crew in a fast and loose show and show the group dynamics/debates in a 10-15 minute slice

Normally I'm not a fan of the idea of Top 10s coming back, since it's something they don't seem to want to do (and pretty much admitted was just view bait back in the day) but this is a good idea. Something like...

Ally Feud. Huber hosts, he gives the community 3-4 topics on patreon a few days beforehand. People leave comments, answers with most hearts go on the list, etc. Then the other allies split into groups of 4 and basically play Family Feud with the lists.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If I give someone money for a service, I expect them to deliver that service, that's not a particularly weird stance to have. That's fine if you don't care about receiving your rewards but the person I was responding to clearly did care about the rewards and there's nothing wrong with being upset about not receiving the rewards they are entitled to.

noah rayne

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I guess I chose a pretty spicy time to sign up for Era, huh. Hi! I've been lurking for a few months now... and y'all seem marginally nicer than Reddit.

I'm saving my opinions on the Patreon situation until the event they've planned for this month, which will probably be some kind of pledge drive. They've clearly been thinking a lot about tiers and rewards and obviously know their own situation better than anyone, so I'm curious to see what they'll come up with. Plus, I'm not strictly worried about the dip, and neither are they- exciting times are coming up with E3 around the corner and Easy Living following that. What's so great about EZA is that they don't have to chase views or subscribers- they can pursue what makes them and their dedicated audience happy. I don't pledge to see them work for algorithms.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I guess I chose a pretty spicy time to sign up for Era, huh. Hi! I've been lurking for a few months now... and y'all seem marginally nicer than Reddit.

I'm saving my opinions on the Patreon situation until the event they've planned for this month, which will probably be some kind of pledge drive. They've clearly been thinking a lot about tiers and rewards and obviously know their own situation better than anyone, so I'm curious to see what they'll come up with. Plus, I'm not strictly worried about the dip, and neither are they- exciting times are coming up with E3 around the corner and Easy Living following that. What's so great about EZA is that they don't have to chase views or subscribers- they can pursue what makes them and their dedicated audience happy. I don't pledge to see them work for algorithms.

Hi! Welcome aboard! I think things will calm down in here before too long. I loved your performance with Ian at the concert.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Welcome!

And yeah, Patreon business usually ups the spicyness around here. It comes and goes.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Welcome Noah! You were fantastic at the Concert!

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, but there are lots of people who can't afford to support someone JUST to support them, and that's why there are rewards for the tiers in the first place.

If you can't afford to give money just to support the patreon I'm not sure how getting to submit questions on a certain podcast changes anything about that financial circumstance. I'm excluding the podcast sponsorship tiers in this equation, but even those have a number of people paying expecting nothing in return. Bottom line, and the Allies have always said this, don't pledge money you can't afford. Don't stretch yourself for higher tiers if it's a financial burden. Don't feel bad about reducing or stopping your pledge. That's the fundamental nature of patronage, and why I'm so uncomfortable with all the debate about ways to upsell current patrons with breadcrumbs of higher tier rewards. Easy Allies best path forward for sustainable growth is not squeezing more money out of current Patrons, it's converting more listeners and viewers to contribute.

If I give someone money for a service, I expect them to deliver that service, that's not a particularly weird stance to have. That's fine if you don't care about receiving your rewards but the person I was responding to clearly did care about the rewards and there's nothing wrong with being upset about not receiving the rewards they are entitled to.

OK, but that's not what a patreon is for and if that's the attitude someone has they are mistaken. You aren't entitled to a reward for a show that didn't get funded. That's pretty simple and has always been possible.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone! I was finally able to register and get approved after many years of lurking on GAF and Era. I'm really happy to be here and hope to have a lot of great conversations with you all.
Welcome!

Also welcome! And yeah, I've given a few thoughts already but I mostly agree with what you wrote. Looking forward to the reveal later this month!

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Welcome and amazing job at the concert.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can only say that whatever they do I hope they manage to turn it around. My only wish is for something similar to GB's quicklooks, which I have always enjoyed. Maybe too hard to do logistically without a studio and without everyone being full-time I guess.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I'm not a fan of the idea of Top 10s coming back, since it's something they don't seem to want to do (and pretty much admitted was just view bait back in the day) but this is a good idea. Something like...

Ally Feud. Huber hosts, he gives the community 3-4 topics on patreon a few days beforehand. People leave comments, answers with most hearts go on the list, etc. Then the other allies split into groups of 4 and basically play Family Feud with the lists.

Yea. The idea was what's the best way to package up the group dynamics into a regular 10-15 minute video that EZA fans could send to others. Reviews is their best tool for game critique but It doesn't highlight their greatest strength which is their group dynamics. It shows up in the group streams and reaction streams but those are lengthy videos or they happen every so often.

Welcome Noah! Yea patreon tier talk, updates, rework, etc has been a hot topic lately and it comes up now and again but I'd say for the most part it comes from a good spot of wanting the group to grow. Even I do that but also know that they have an idea already in place for what they'll do and we're just brainstorming our own ideas here and there. Things usually calm down when the shows pop up

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It was just a joke. There's no reason to read into it this much. I agree it seemed that Blood wasn't happy with it but that's Kyle's sense of humor: self-deprecating and dry. And they know that.

In absolutely no way does it reflect how they are treating the business and it's clear by the Patreon post that they're aware that it's time to make some changes.

I get what you're saying but it's really not a big deal.
I know it was a joke but you can't call it self-deprecating when you're not just making fun of yourself but other people too. It's a really counter-productive thing to say and wasn't cool at all.

As for how it reflects on them, it isn't just that one thing but a number of things that have combined to make me pessimistic about their long term future. It often feels like they're unwilling or reluctant to do a lot of stuff (like good self-promotion) that other groups/companies do and it hurts them as a result.

You weren't stating that Kyle struggles with self-promotion. You were saying it would be hard to Kyle to take the group seriously and work hard.

We all know that he cares about Easy Allies and works hard. This comment was silly spite, not meaningful criticism.
You're reading way too much into what I said. I was implying that self-promotion is really hard work for Kyle, not that he doesn't work hard at all. Come on.

Hello everyone! I was finally able to register and get approved after many years of lurking on GAF and Era. I'm really happy to be here and hope to have a lot of great conversations with you all.

Welcome. If you've both been lurking for a while then I'm sure you know we have our ups and downs but it'll bounce back soon enough.

And great work at the concert, Noah. The Easy Update band were one of the biggest highlights of the show.

I can only say that whatever they do I hope they manage to turn it around. My only wish is for something similar to GB's quicklooks, which I have always enjoyed. Maybe too hard to do logistically without a studio and without everyone being full-time I guess.
That's basically what the Checkin' Out videos are, just edited shorter and with only one Ally (at this stage). It'd be cool if they could get 2-3 Allies together to do them (and remove the face cam, which are a distraction in a short video) but yeah, the logistics are probably difficult at this stage.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

Hi Noah, Welcome!

I loved your and Ian's concert performance at the anniversary. You + Me = Eternity got stuck in my head for a week after I saw the concert video.
I also agree with your sentiment about the EZA Patreon. I am sure it will be fine and I am sure they know what they are doing.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I've brought this up on other platforms multiple times (and Blood always shoots it down) but I'd love for there to be more interaction with the fans beyond Q&A. I had a blast playing Fortnite with Damiani and some other fans the other day and I'm sure people would be willing to up a pledge if it meant getting to play with one of the allies. The D&D with Ben patreon tier has almost always been maxed out right? And maybe each month the event is different, one month is racing against Blood in On Rush or Forza, another month is playing Tetris against Kyle, another is Battlefield with Brad and Huber.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it was a joke but you can't call it self-deprecating when you're not just making fun of yourself but other people too. It's a really counter-productive thing to say and wasn't cool at all.

He was mostly teasing Jones about having put his musical videos out there in Cup of Jones. Some of you are taking it way too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.