• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
To drop my hat into this ring, I find the existence of SNK Heroines to be an insult to the legacy of SNK itself, which has almost always had, at least in its fighters, fantastic (and sensible) female character designs that don't needlessly pander to this kind of shit. See this thread for evidence.
Yeah, I think this is even worse than a Peach Beach Splash's creepy pandering because in this case, it isn't a franchise set up entirely around said creepy pandering, it's taking a bunch of characters from respectable games and creep-ifying them. If I were a SNK fan, I'd be pissed, I can't imagine how I'd react if that happened to some of the characters I liked. Shit's garbage.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Re: SNK Gal Fighters, I think there's a huge difference between its sexualization being explicitly non-consensual and just plain sexualization. The first part is the problem.

Vonbon

Jun 4, 2018
Regardless of how you feel about the content (I don't like the fan service either) there are far better ways to address it than putting people down. There are people out there who are angry because they want a reason to be angry and they'll be spewing hatred wherever they're posting, but there are people who feel put down by a throwaway comment from Damiani. Words matter and on the internet, a passing comment can alienate people. It wasn't showing L&R in that moment as there were far better ways to express his thoughts on the matter.

I hope people drop this topic soon. It's getting back into territory of different EZA communities trashing each other and is pitiful to watch.

What a sensible fellow you are, ohyes <3

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone be interested in doing a community Hall Of Greats? 8 or 9 of us could write 2 or 3 paragraphs about a game not in HoG and then we could run a vote. I've got a game I think deserves a place but I know is never going to make it into the actual stream.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Would anyone be interested in doing a community Hall Of Greats? 8 or 9 of us could write 2 or 3 paragraphs about a game not in HoG and then we could run a vote. I've got a game I think deserves a place but I know is never going to make it into the actual stream.
I'd prefer something more along the lines of a proper hall of fame. Have a giant list of games, everyone votes for like 10 games each and then any games that get like 50% (or a higher limit) of the vote make it in. You could still make pitches to encourage people to vote for a game you want in, we just wouldn't be limited to whichever games the 8 or 9 people pick.

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I feel like a lot of the things that have led to their recent success have been ideas suggest in this very thread, have I got that wrong? I don't really go to any of the other EZA communities so it's not like I would know if the same ideas were there too.
It's not like they have a weekly show, where they take suggestions from patrons. The elitist mentality in this thread is baffling to me.

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I was literally asking if I was wrong, hardly elitist but you do you mate.
The idea alone that their recent success has anything to do with this thread is ridiculous.

Also, I find it very annoying when other communities like the one on Reddit get looked down upon (I'm not necessarily talking about you) as a whole, because there are some people you don't agree with. I'm not even talking about the current 'controversy', frankly, I don't think Damiani's comment was such a big deal (although it was unlucky), but in general. I've read many comments in the past that disregarded the Subreddit, and I don't think that's fair at all. There are a lot of good people and discussions, who tend to be more critical with the Allies, sure, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The idea alone that their recent success has anything to do with this thread is ridiculous.

It isn't ridiculous because a large number of changes have come through the suggestions of various EZA communities and this is one of said communities. At the end of the day, I think part of their success has to do with how they handle their community. They don't turn on a dime, looking to pander to them at any moments notice, and they don't ignore their suggestions and ideas. They listen and consider.

Also, I find it very annoying when other communities like the one on Reddit get looked down upon (I'm not necessarily talking about you) as a whole, because there are some people you don't agree with. I'm not even talking about the current 'controversy', frankly, I don't think Damiani's comment was such a big deal (although it was unlucky), but in general. I've read many comments in the past that disregarded the Subreddit, and I don't think that's fair at all. There are a lot of good people and discussions, who tend to be more critical with the Allies, sure, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

The Reddit community has lots of great people in it. There are lots of excellent postings there. But it can also be extremely toxic. It isn't a matter of there simply being people we "don't agree with", because bullying and bigotry aren't opinions that you agree or disagree with. The Reddit has, in the past, targeted Allies. There have been threads on the Reddit dedicated to demeaning Ian and Damiani. There are definitely some fairly unsavory elements to the Reddit community. Some Gamergater shit goes down there and it certainly isn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing.

Don't get me wrong, if the moderation was looser, Resetera would have the same problem. It isn't like this community is perfect, we are FAR from that, but we don't have the low lows that the Reddit does.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The Reddit community has lots of great people in it. There are lots of excellent postings there. But it can also be extremely toxic. It isn't a matter of there simply being people we "don't agree with", because bullying and bigotry aren't opinions that you agree or disagree with. The Reddit has, in the past, targeted Allies. There have been threads on the Reddit dedicated to demeaning Ian and Damiani. There are definitely some fairly unsavory elements to the Reddit community. Some Gamergater shit goes down there and it certainly isn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing.

Don't get me wrong, if the moderation was looser, Resetera would have the same problem. It isn't like this community is perfect, we are FAR from that, but we don't have the low lows that the Reddit does.
Yeah. For me, if a community tolerates the sort of stuff you mention at all, then it's not a community I want to be a part of, I don't really care how good some posters are.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. For me, if a community tolerates the sort of stuff you mention at all, then it's not a community I want to be a part of, I don't really care how good some posters are.

This. 100%. It's isn't worth trawling through a river of shit just to get a few decent nuggets.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really interested to hear kyles reaction to those Google rumours. He was very bullish about Amazon's gaming potential way back at the start of GT Time.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

Say what you want about this particular thread but I do think people who post daily in this thread have been instrumental in making easy allies a much bigger deal on this website than it was on gaf. Look at how huge the better stuff before E3 thread is and even the E3 thread itself. Non-fans see threads like that with tons of activity going on and they decide to check in and see what all of the fuss is about. This outreach matters a lot. There's someone in the thread about top 10s who recognized the "gametrailers guy." Putting EZA in front of new faces is how EZA grows and I think we do a pretty good job at it on this site.

Jan 11, 2018
There's no game more deserving than Metroid Prime to be the first Western game to make it in the Easy Allies HoG. I was pulling for Tropical Freeze to make it in along with it, but TTYD absolutely deserves it as well.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer something more along the lines of a proper hall of fame. Have a giant list of games, everyone votes for like 10 games each and then any games that get like 50% (or a higher limit) of the vote make it in. You could still make pitches to encourage people to vote for a game you want in, we just wouldn't be limited to whichever games the 8 or 9 people pick.
Nitpick: HoG is just as close to a "real Hall of fame" than this process is. The 50% threshold of a list is reminiscent of how the baseball hof works (and fans always bitch about players being in when they shouldn't be, lol). I think kyle got the hog idea from the NFL HoF selection process?

(That is not to say a NFL hof/hog style process necessarily works great over text..)

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Not trying to harp on about this but I can think of two recent examples of allies directly responding to posts in this thread. One was ben responding to someone saying that they thought his podcast sponsor reads were boring and ben has since tried to spice up that segment. The other was blood has had several back and forths about youtube thumbnails with people on this thread and at one point posting examples and asking people what they thought. As another example I made a post in here saying that I thought they should separate buissness and personal questions in cup of Jones. While nobody responded to that directly it was implemented the next week.

I'm not saying that this thread is drawing thousands of people to easy allies but the allies are reading this thread and making changes based off of feedback. It's not a stretch to imagine that those changes have had some impact on the allies success.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
For the Top 10 I was really hoping #1 was gonna be Sophie standing by the balloon and barking a single time. Other than that good show, if a little safe, hopefully future Top 10's will be a little wackier.

Also, maybe they should just start the total shitshow and do a Top 10 Easy Allies communities, what could go wrong :P

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Just started the Hall of Greats. Yeah... ummmm.... at least all the Allies should play the damn games of nominees suggestions or if one hasn't... dont ask questions you know nothing about.

At least play a portion of the damn game or you're just blindly asking questions hoping to disencourage a vote.

Discussion just struggles and halters.

And dont say its not possible when they do Easy Living and constant streams.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just started the Hall of Greats. Yeah... ummmm.... at least all the Allies should play the damn games of nominees suggestions or if one hasn't... dont ask questions you know nothing about.

At least play a portion of the damn game or you're just blindly asking questions hoping to disencourage a vote.

Sure, but how can they know what to ask or talk about if they all keep their nominees a secret from each other?

Also, it's not that serious.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

that would be nice if they all knew the games and had all the time in the world to play the 9 games nominated, kyle alone doesn't have even personal time with all the work he has.

the questions are sometimes a little bit forced because they need to make a cross examination of the game the ally just presented, don't be so hard on them.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017

That is actually expecting too much work. Also, a big part of the fun (for me) is that the other Allies don't know what someone is going to bring. Plus it's really not that serious. The questioning is supposed to be used to poke and prod at a game so that the presenter has to defend it, but a lot of the time Allies that really like the game will throw soft balls or just set the presenter up to go on more about the game's strengths, lol.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's not serious man

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Also, saying it should be possible because they have Easy Livin' (which they've held only once) & are streaming constantly is just...no. There would never be enough time to go through every potential HoG candidate one could think of.

I'd rather those streams just be a random assortment of games played for fun, not used to do constant homework for a group stream that would only happen 4(?) times a year.
Wouldn't get things like GAHBeastly otherwise.

Mediking

Sure, but how can they know what to ask or talk about if they all keep their nominees a secret from each other?

Also, it's not that serious.

that would be nice if they all knew the games and had all the time in the world to play the 9 games nominated, kyle alone doesn't have even personal time with all the work he has.

the questions are sometimes a little bit forced because they need to make a cross examination of the game the ally just presented, don't be so hard on them.

That is actually expecting too much work. Also, a big part of the fun (for me) is that the other Allies don't know what someone is going to bring. Plus it's really not that serious. The questioning is supposed to be used to poke and prod at a game so that the presenter has to defend it, but a lot of the time Allies that really like the game will throw soft balls or just set the presenter up to go on more about the game's strengths, lol.

It's not serious man

The Allies SHOULD know beforehand. Maybe the audience aka us dont hafta know but they should. The discussion just struggles and halters and its less enjoyable to watch.

About Kyle... ummm... in almost every Allies Clip video, he's playing some random old ass retro game and joking with chat. I think he has the time to play a damn nominee. Just saying.

What triggered my rant was the obvious (and IRONIC) struggle to discuss Blood's Dragon Quest nominee. Ian hasnt played it but he's like "uhhh.. doesn't this game take a long time to actually get started?". You haven't played but we're doing questions like this now? Yeah, no.

I see the Hall of Greats as a serious thing. Sorry if you guys don't but discussing the best and favorite games is serious business.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
About Kyle... ummm... in almost every Allies Clip video, he's playing some random old ass retro game and joking with chat. I think he has the time to play a damn nominee. Just saying.

kyle plays a single game on friday nights, that's his only stream.

I see the Hall of Greats as a serious thing. Sorry if you guys don't but discussing the best and favorite games is serious business.

o-ok bud...

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Excuse me, ma'am

C93lLxnWAAA609T.jpg

Has this videogame been approved by the Easy Allies Hall of Greats Official Quarterly Selection Committee?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodworth put up a what to expect on the first of the month with the Patron numbers. I suggest you read it, although I'm sure we'll still get panicky posts in here as is tradition.

Just turn it into a full comedy show if there aren't real discussion going on. And that would be fine. Dont try to be funny and serious because it doesn't work for me with this.

Kyle can play whatever he wants. Thats fine.

Or do be funny and serious, because it really , really works for me.

Sounds like the stream isn't for you. That's ok. Remember for next quarter.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What triggered my rant was the obvious (and IRONIC) struggle to discuss Blood's Dragon Quest nominee. Ian hasnt played it but he's like "uhhh.. doesn't this game take a long time to actually get started?". You haven't played but we're doing questions like this now? Yeah, no.

Yeesh

Last edited:

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodworth put up a what to expect on the first of the month with the Patron numbers. I suggest you read it, although I'm sure we'll still get panicky posts in here as is tradition.
Yep, it's an informative read (https://www.patreon.com/posts/about-1st-of-19754748):
About the 1st of the Month
Bloodworth here,

With 500 new patrons and the fact that we're currently above our $50,000 goal, there are a lot of you who are watching the Patreon numbers for the first time or more closely than ever before. So I want to provide some context so you know what to expect when the 1st of the month rolls around. Everyone on our Patreon gets charged on the 1st of the month, and logistically, that results in a lot of big fluctuations in the displayed number of patrons and pledges.

As Patreon prepares to make charges, payments and fees get recalculated, and for a few hours, you may see the number jump up or down by extreme amounts. This isn't a matter of anyone dropping or changing pledges, it's simply the math updating behind the scenes which can result in somewhat sudden and sporadic changes.

Pledges are locked in at the 1st of the month, and when you're charged, you can expect to receive an e-mail thanking you for your contribution. These charges roll out over the course of a full day. Some months they begin earlier, other months they start later in the day.

However, when Patreon attempts to make charges, many pledges may be declined for various reasons such as a bank's fraud detection systems, insufficient funds, or simply an expired date or typo on a credit card number. When a pledge is declined, Patreon will send that person an e-mail asking them to correct their payment information. As soon as that correction is made, it's added back into the pool of pledges. Keep an eye out for that message to verify whether your pledge went through or if you need to make corrections.

The public facing result of these declines is that the Patreon numbers appear to take a sharp drop of several thousand dollars. You'll see the numbers dip temporarily with declines, then bounce back up as payments are corrected.

The important thing to note here is that Patreon allows several days for these corrections to be made, and doesn't issue our payout until roughly the 5th or 6th of the month. It's this amount which ultimately tells us whether or not we've hit a specific goal. For those worried about people trying to game the system, backing out, or not updating their pledges, there's little need to worry as 99.5% - 99.8% of pledges eventually go through, and we only ever see a handful identified as fraud.

Long story short, all of these factors combined make the public facing numbers nearly useless for the first few days of each month, and particularly on the 1st. If you ever want to track them and compare to past months check out the daily graph at https://graphtreon.com/creator/EasyAllies

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask, and thanks for your support.

-Bloodworth

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

There are plenty of posts on the subreddit looking down on this thread as well. I don't have a problem with the subreddit or posters on the subreddit in general. It's just that most of the time when I do take a look, there is always a lot of negativity in the top threads (also against this thread and resetera in general, so it comes from both sides), which isn't inviting at all. I am not judging anybody for posting there as I usually try not to judge other people, but it doesn't make me want to spend my time there.

As far as the Damiani thing goes, my 2 cents:
- I am not interested in the SNK game or something like DOA Beachvolleyball myself, but I personally don't mind people liking/playing them (as long as they keep that stuff in videogames and don't do shit like that IRL). I personally am not looking down on them for liking something I don't care for as long as they don't behave like assholes against other people.

- I understand the concerns a lot of people here have about those games, but I don't think people playing them are inherently bad people. I made this point before, but I listen to quite a bit of metal music, probably also from some artists of which I don't agree with (some or all of) their believes. I don't think that makes me a bad person, I just try to separate the art from the artist.

I personally don't feel that in general a videogame is that big of a deal for things like this (I haven't played this one, nor do I want to, so who knows). I would much rather have people do stupid stuff in videogames then in real life. I doubt that playing a game like this would make me want to treat women like shit in real life.

That said, I don't think people are wrong for detesting games like this, I totally understand why. It's just a difference of opinion. I don't care for the SNK game and am not interested in playing it, but I personally don't care that much that people play something like this. Different people think differently, different people like different things. As long as they don't hurt (physically or mentally) people in real life or behave like assholes, I am not too bothered with people thinking different then I do.

- I do have to say that if the story about the SNK game that was posted here is true, it's somewhat disturbing to say the least.

- I don't mind Damiani not liking games like this (he can like and dislike whatever he wants) and while I understand some people feel attacked by the way he said it, I don't think he did anything wrong and it was clearly not meant as an insult. People should have thicker skin when using the internet. That said, maybe he could have phrased it differently so less people would feel insulted.
I do have to say that I was somewhat surprised in his Persona 5 playthrough how much he seemed to detest that kind of stuff and how actively he tried to steer away from it (it didn't bother me too much in Persona 5 to be honest), but if he really dislikes it so much, I don't have a problem with that. I enjoyed the parts of the playthrough I saw a lot.

- I know it's somewhat contradictory and I always try to understand how other people think, but the way this blew up is mind-boggling to me. I had to find the (insulting, why do post people stuff like this) youtube clipout to see what it was about because I didn't even notice it when I first watched the podcast and I couldn't find it in the real podcast.

In the end, it's not the end of the world.
Let's hope it blows over quickly (although my post probably doesn't help this cause) and they don't lose too much patrons over this stuff.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I think the idea is that you are having discussions with people that are intimately familiar with the game, so you don't have to know everything, you are talking to an expert. I think the challenge is if that 'expert' is being objective with their answers, especially when it's someone that is discussing their own nominee.

It's all fun serious business

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Just turn it into a full comedy show if there aren't real discussion going on. And that would be fine. Dont try to be funny and serious because it doesn't work for me with this.

Kyle can play whatever he wants. Thats fine.
I really, really like it the way it is. The level of seriousness is perfect for me, and doesn't undermine it in my opinion. I wouldn't want it to turn full silly, either. I'm sorry that it bothers you so much, though (seriously, not trying to be condescending).

Mediking

I think the idea is that you are having discussions with people that are intimately familiar with the game, so you don't have to know everything, you are talking to an expert. I think the challenge is if that 'expert' is being objective with their answers, especially when it's someone that is discussing their own nominee.

It's all fun serious business

I really, really like it the way it is. The level of seriousness is perfect for me, and doesn't undermine it in my opinion. I wouldn't want it to turn full silly, either. I'm sorry that it bothers you so much, though (seriously, not trying to be condescending).

One thing I really like about Don is that he never tries to jump into discussing games he never played or dont wanna play. I appreciate that. Alot.

But yeah. Sorry for the rant. Its just I got frustrated with the Hall video and it didn't take long.

Status
Not open for further replies.