• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So you're playing the game, it's challenging enough, you die a bit, you make some mistakes and it's ok, that's how games are.
And then you get at the boss. You fight the boss, 3, 4, 5, 20, 30 times.
You get frustrated, you finally win after 40 tries.
Do you feel good about you? Well, I don't. I usually feel bad about how I wasted my time because the boss wasn't balanced enough to match the difficulty from the previous area. Difficulty spikes are bad design.
That's why easy/assist mode on the fly is so good, you can make the badly designed boss easy or manageable if you want to. And then you can go back to the original difficulty. So good.
"Git gud"? Git gud my ass. I have a lot going in my life to waste hours upon hours grinding because the developer threw in a badly designed boss in the middle of the game.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Not that options are a bad thing, but this sounds more like advocating for games to not be designed poorly rather than easy/assist modes being jammed into all games.

EDIT: fixed a typo

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that options are a bad thing, but this sounds more like advocating for games to not be designed well rather than easy/assist modes being jammed into all games.

Some of us legit have disabilities that make it difficult to deal with bosses of this nature, hence why the suggestion of this, and can help us brute force it in situation's like this. It's not inherently the boss is designed poorly, per-say (though there are legit cases of this), but some of us can't deal with this due to our disabilities. It's the reason why minigames for me can be hell, same with QTE/QTAs, as I don't have the response time, my brain freezes up on certain actions, etc., so options like this are absolutely wonderful for accessibility.

So yes, he's asking for more options.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed 100%. I'm in the game for the story most of the time, and play most of my games on Easy. I can understand wanting to play a game for challenge, mechanics, etc, but if I'm struggling that much it's not going to be fun for me, and I don't have the patience (or time) to stick with a game if it's not fun. I'll move on to something else instead.

One example is Icewind Dale. Was a great game, then there was a boss (Yxunomei) for whom I had to turn on Story mode (which makes you invincible), then beat her, crank up the difficulty and proceed. I don't regret doing that because it let me continue to play the game and I really enjoyed it. God of War 1 (the HD version on PS3) is another example. Between the camera and being swarmed by enemies who keep stunning you (thus preventing you from acting, I tried it for a few hours and dropped it, and will never pick it up again.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Healing in games that let you avoid damage is more than enough assistance to me.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think options are always good, but I disagree about losing being a waste of time. Learning from your mistakes and getting better is one of the joys of videogames that other entertainment doesn't really provide.

OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Some of us legit have disabilities that make it difficult to deal with bosses of this nature, hence why the suggestion of this, and can help us brute force it in situation's like this. It's not inherently the boss is designed poorly, per-say (though there are legit cases of this), but some of us can't deal with this due to our disabilities. It's the reason why minigames for me can be hell, same with QTE/QTAs, as I don't have the response time, my brain freezes up on certain actions, etc., so options like this are absolutely wonderful for accessibility.

So yes, he's asking for more options.
I wasn't even thinking of this, but yeah I agree.
And I definitely think a lot of good games have badly designed bosses in it. The developers and play testers don't get this and you can see it's true when you have a lot of talk in forums about said boss being too hard.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think options are always good, but I disagree about losing being a waste of time. Learning from your mistakes and getting better is one of the joys of videogames that other entertainment doesn't really provide.

Unless you can't get through it with because of your disability. At that point, it's more like crying and frustrated with yourself, and beating yourself up "why can't I do something this simple?". This includes games with forced motion control mechanics. Mind, Breath of the Wild gave able-bodied people issues here, but I was crying because I couldn't make sense or understand, or coordinate the gyro/motion control puzzles.

This happened with my with Super Mario Galaxy, where the Spider boss requires a mixture of normal and motion controls, including using the point to grab onto things, and ebcause my brain freezes up on complex functions like this, it took me so many fucking lives to get through it. I got a little further, but that was where it effectively was done by me.

So yes, difficulty, assist, and other options help people like me and make the stuff more enjoyable. So don't say this. Please.

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like some people don't realize that easy mode(s) can still be challenging, just to a lesser extent.

OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Not losing, but taking more than 10 times is a waste of time. Specially when the boss is a difficult spike coming from a reasonably difficult area.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
"From software fans, assemble! "
Joke aside, yes. And the best you can do about accessibility.
Learning from your mistakes and getting better is one of the joys of videogames that other entertainment doesn't really provide.
Yes, it is "one of". That means some player will preferred others (story for exemple, or being powerful, or stress-free, ...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And I definitely think a lot of good games have badly designed bosses in it. The developers and play testers don't get this and you can see it's true when you have a lot of talk in forums about said boss being too hard.

I think there's a kernel of truth to bad boss design being fairly common in games, but I also don't necessarily think difficulty and quality are intrinsically linked.

A boss that's too easy is just boring, for example.

wars

Apr 26, 2020
Lisbon,Portugal
I agree 100%, options are always nice and gives every type of gamer the challenge they want. Every game should be accessible to everyone.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil

But the "learning" is just getting better in a game that when I finish it i'll never play it again (or maybe play it in a couple years later, and I'll definitely have to learn it again). How is that not a waste of time? I don't want to grind a game to get better, just let me play the thing. I don't see it as one of the "joys of the medium".

OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
But the "learning" is just getting better in a game that when I finish it i'll never play it again (or maybe play it in a couple years later, and I'll definitely have to learn it again). How is that not a waste of time? I don't want to grind a game to get better, just let me play the thing. I don't see it as a "joy of the medium".
Losing a few times is ok. Losing 20/30/40 times is not ok.

Nov 13, 2017
But the "learning" is just getting better in a game that when I finish it i'll never play it again (or maybe play it in a couple years later, and I'll definitely have to learn it again). How is that not a waste of time? I don't want to grind a game to get better, just let me play the thing. I don't see it as one of the "joys of the medium".

Some folks like the learning and grinding. Some folks don't. I'm all for options, as long as it means the only difference is damage and health and maybe timing windows, but you can't dismiss how other people feel, just because you feel it's a waste of time. Your feelings aren't any more valid than anyone else's.

So'najiz Temple boss in CrossCode. First time I used assist mode in the game.

Gotcha. Never played that game.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I like the challenge.
But my gf can only play with easy modes.
If she had to play different games because mine are too challenging, she wouldn't even bother playing at all.

It's great when games have options. We can both enjoy the same story/world, even with different skills.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, yeah. Sometimes you have a case where the mechanics either aren't working as intended (due to a bug/glitch or just poorly thought out/planned), or the game gives you absolutely no indicator how you're supposed to progress/fight against it. While all enemies will have a level of learning and exploiting weaknesses and stuff, there plenty of examples where the design process went really wrong and it makes it a legit barrier because of this.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
So you're playing the game, it's challenging enough, you die a bit, you make some mistakes and it's ok, that's how games are.
And then you get at the boss. You fight the boss, 3, 4, 5, 20, 30 times.
You get frustrated, you finally win after 40 tries.
Do you feel good about you? Well, I don't.
I do. That's the best part of a lot of games. If I'm playing a game where I can turn the difficulty down, and I do it after 4 tries, instead of 40, I feel pretty shitty.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Agreed. Glad that there are tougher difficulty levels for those that have the time or inclination to deal with that sort of thing, but for me personally, I'm glad that easier difficulties are an option, it's the reason I'm able to still make it through so many games.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it seems weird to me that more developers don't expose options that they very clearly use while developing the game, like invincibility modes, and clearly communicate that those modes should be used if needed but aren't what the game is balanced around.

with the proper communication in place this doesn't advocate sloppy design at all and its incredibly disingenuous or ignorant to suggest otherwise

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Some folks like the learning and grinding. Some folks don't. I'm all for options, as long as it means the only difference is damage and health and maybe timing windows, but you can't dismiss how other people feel, just because you feel it's a waste of time. Your feelings aren't any more valid than anyone else's.

But I'm not dismissing, I'm just arguing about the topic.

And why it only have to be just damage, health and timing windows? Why can't assist mode change other things?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely, those modes (or adjustable difficulty at any time) can be game savers.

I remember screwing myself over at a late-game fight in Dragon Age 2 because I didn't really have the best party (I think I might have lost a group member due to story reasons, can't totally remember), and I didn't have any recent saves.

The fight just starts off with you surrounded by like 10 fire demons.
The only way I was able to get past it was to figure out how to activate console cheats on PC (which wasn't easy), and even then all it did was make my main character immortal, so it still took forever to finish the fight.

Literally no other battle in the entire game had given me trouble, but that one random fight before one of the final bosses nearly hauled my progress.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The industry leader for how to handle difficulty spikes in games is From Software and Souls games. Should you ever struggle with those games, you can very easily summon another player and make the boss fight or level easy. This approach has many advantages compared to traditional easy modes:

1. The developers don't have to spend valuable resources developing other difficulty modes and can concentrate on the main experience. This makes for a more polished product and reduces the workload for the developers, which is very important considering how so many developers these days burn out due to crunch.

2. Co-op is less condescending than a traditional easy mode. You're playing exactly the same game as everyone else, just doing so while engaging in jolly cooperation. You still get the same sense of accomplishment after overcoming the challenge as someone who fights the boss on their lonesome

3. It makes the online mode more populated, which benefits EVERYONE playing the game.

4. Playing with others is a fun experience in and of itself

As the debate about difficulty in games rages on, I hope more developers consider following this example set by the industry leader, From Software.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand this. Why do you play games if you think getting better or 'learning' is waste of time?

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The industry leader for how to handle difficulty spikes in games is From Software and Souls games. Should you ever struggle with those games, you can very easily summon another player and make the boss fight or level easy. This approach has many advantages compared to traditional easy modes:

1. The developers don't have to spend valuable resources developing other difficulty modes and can concentrate on the main experience. This makes for a more polished product and reduces the workload for the developers, which is very important considering how so many developers these days burn out due to crunch.

2. Co-op is less condescending than a traditional easy mode. You're playing exactly the same game as everyone else, just doing so while engaging in jolly cooperation. You still get the same sense of accomplishment after overcoming the challenge as someone who fights the boss on their lonesome

3. It makes the online mode more populated, which benefits EVERYONE playing the game.

As the debate about difficulty in games rages on, I hope more developers consider following this example set by the industry leader, From Software.

I don't think the industry standard should rely on both online modes and hoping that specific content is still populated. Just look at like, every Soulslike game with an online function that isn't made by From. You'll be lucky to ever find a partner for a lot of stuff outside the launch window.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I don't understand this. Why do you play games if you think getting better or 'learning' is waste of time?

Because I like the interaction between me and the world it presents, the unique way games can tell stories that no other medium can. It doesn't need to be hard and make me grind for hours and hours just to "get gud".

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017

Me personally has no desire to play games with random people, and not everyone has groups of friends which play similar games at the same time. I am getting to age due my reactions getting slower and my gaming time being reduced I play a lot of games on easy these days. I have no desire playing any games by From Software as they do not suit my play style.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Me personally has no desire to play games with random people, and not everyone has groups of friends which play similar games at the same time. I am getting to age due my reactions getting slower and my gaming time
In from software games you can summon ai NPCs to help you.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Also on topic, if you're main concern/dislike of having to fail multiple times is that you're wasting your time, why not drop the game and play something that you feel respects your time?

Also, I think cheat codes would solve this problem. Cheat codes need to make a comeback.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In from software games you can summon ai NPCs to help you.

You mean babysit while they maybe hopefully distract the boss before dying, especially in some of the earlier games.

They're also not in Sekiro and weren't in many Bloodborne bosses before a late patch / dlc.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you can't get through it with because of your disability. At that point, it's more like crying and frustrated with yourself, and beating yourself up "why can't I do something this simple?". This includes games with forced motion control mechanics. Mind, Breath of the Wild gave able-bodied people issues here, but I was crying because I couldn't make sense or understand, or coordinate the gyro/motion control puzzles.

This happened with my with Super Mario Galaxy, where the Spider boss requires a mixture of normal and motion controls, including using the point to grab onto things, and ebcause my brain freezes up on complex functions like this, it took me so many fucking lives to get through it. I got a little further, but that was where it effectively was done by me.

So yes, difficulty, assist, and other options help people like me and make the stuff more enjoyable. So don't say this. Please.

Like I said, that's why options are important. Its obviously ridiculous to tell someone who is differently abled that they need to experience something the same way as everyone else. The pleasure of getting better is not and shouldn't be exclusive to the abled. Giving someone the tools to create their own tailored experience and achieve that same joy is wonderful.

"From software fans, assemble! "
Joke aside, yes. And the best you can do about accessibility.

Yes, it is "one of". That means some player will preferred others (story for exemple, or being powerful, or stress-free, ...

Of course, I never said it was the only way.

Not losing, but taking more than 10 times is a waste of time. Specially when the boss is a difficult spike coming from a reasonably difficult area.

I mean, this is just an agree to disagree. People value their time differently. Many would call us weirdos for spending time posting on a niche online video game forum. Are they right and we are wrong? I don't think so. I have a great time grinding and getting better at a game and I don't feel like improving at something is ever time I would consider wasted.

OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Also on topic, if you're main concern/dislike of having to fail multiple times is that you're wasting your time, why not drop the game and play something that you feel respects your time?

Also, I think cheat codes would solve this problem. Cheat codes need to make a comeback.
I'm invested in the story sometimes and I want to see how it ends.

OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Yeah nope, I shouldn't be tied to multiplayer for having easy mode. Hard disagree.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Personally, I love to die 30 times from a boss fight and then overcome it, if it's designed well.