SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Via: https://tech4gamers.com/xbox-blizzard-before-activision/

Tech4Gamers: It seems like this deal was a long-time goal for Xbox. In the most recent Xbox Era Podcast, we learned that Microsoft tried to buy Blizzard almost two decades ago. Episode 105 of the Podcast featured an Xbox veteran, Ed Fries. The information comes courtesy of Ed's answer to a question on the Podcast.

As the video shows, Ed was asked about an acquisition he had wanted to do. Interestingly, one of the studios he named was "Blizzard." He said,

I TRIED REALLY HARD TO BUY BLIZZARD. I WAS A HUGE BLIZZARD FAN. IF YOU THINK ABOUT THE ROOTS OF OUR PC GAMING BUSINESS, IT WAS REAL-TIME STRATEGY. WARCRAFT OF COURSE, WAS THEIR BIGGEST PRODUCT.

"THEY GOT ACQUIRED VERY VERY EARLY IN THEIR HISTORY, BY THIS COMPANY CALLED DAVIDSON. THEY WERE ALWAYS PART OF THIS BIGGER ORGANIZATION. WHAT HAPPENED WAS, THEIR PARENT ORGANIZATION PUT THEM UP FOR SALE ONCE IN THE 90S. I TRIED TO BUY THEM, AND I GOT OUTBID BY A COMPANY CALLED SENDIN CUC WHICH RUNS A TIMESHARE CAMPING BUSINESS."

However, it seems like this deal was a long time goal for Xbox. In the most recent Xbox Era Podcast, we learned that Microsoft tried to buy Blizzard almost two decades ago. Episode 105 of the Podcast featured an Xbox veteran, Ed Fries. Ed is one of the most prominent figures on the Xbox team. He led the team that made the original Xbox in the late 1990s, and he also played an important role in the acquisition of developers like Bungie and Rare.

"THEY WERE PART OF THAT FOR A WHILE AND THEN THERE WERE A BUNCH OF ISSUES AND THE WHOLE COMPANY FELL APART, THEN BLIZZARD GETS PUT UP FOR SALE A SECOND TIME. AND I BID AGAIN, AND THIS TIME I GET OUTBID BY A FRENCH WATER UTILITY.'

It should also be noted that this was before Blizzard became the big name that it is today. Ed explained that prior to Activision's buyout, Blizzard was sold three times. Once they developed World Of Warcraft, it became impossible to buy the company.

It is certainly interesting to learn about the past of gaming companies like Xbox. Perhaps, even back then, acquisitions were something that Microsoft would resort to as a newcomer to the industry. Currently, Microsoft is only moments away from buying Activision Blizzard. While the deal has been subject to attention from concerned authorities because of the $68.7 Billion sums, it is clear that Xbox has no intentions of stepping down.

Last edited:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
RAM.png

But with MS and Blizzard

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
The one that was more interesting to me was Westwood Studios almost being acquired.

Imagine if the C&C franchise was still alive and well....

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Just goes to show what a scrappy underdog like Microsoft Corporation can achieve when they refuse to give up on their dreams.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
The one that was more interesting to me was Westwood Studios almost being acquired.

i'd imagine they'd go the way of emsemble studios

but perhaps ra2 would be as healthy as aoe2 is and be on its 5th expansion with like russians on pluto or something

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
If it was bought by MS back then? Come on lol
I mean yeah there was the point by mid-360 where Westwood would of possibly suffered the same fate but it at least by now if they never got closed by MS then there could of been a possibility of a revival rather than the franchise essentially rotting under the hands of EA.

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Makes a lot of sense for Microsoft's early ventures into gaming revolving around PC.
They are now pretty big on PC as well, it's kind of paying off with the mix of Steam & Gamepass. Sony realized this, and has now entered the PC Gaming with titles like God of War, Horizon, and others.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

I think they bought ABK at the perfect time. Microsoft of today is not the same one as the past. If they would've acquired Blizzard/Westwood they probably wouldn't even have existed today.

They are now pretty big on PC as well, it's kind of paying off with the mix of Steam & Gamepass. Sony realized this, and has now entered the PC Gaming with titles like God of War, Horizon, and others.
Microsoft even without ABK is going to be one of if not the biggest PC publishers, throw in ABK and they're miles ahead of anyone IMO.

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
I think they bought ABK at the perfect time. Microsoft of today is not the same one as the past. If they would've acquired Blizzard/Westwood they probably wouldn't even have existed today.

Microsoft even without ABK is going to be one of if not the biggest PC publishers, throw in ABK and they're miles ahead of anyone IMO.
That's true. As a long time PC Gamer, my biggest concern was the shitty Xbox Store and their reckless bugs. Now, with games on Steam, it's just walk in a park to get any xbox game.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if MS has a list of developers they once tried acquiring and are just going with that now.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah there was the point by mid-360 where Westwood would of possibly suffered the same fate but it at least by now if they never got closed by MS then there could of been a possibility of a revival rather than the franchise essentially rotting under the hands of EA.

I mean just the quotes in the OP should be enough to convince anyone where Microsoft's priorities were at the time. The biggest company on the planet were getting outbid by random time share companies and investment firms.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft basically got its foot in the door into the game industry by buying Bungie, and Rare didn't hurt either. Imagine if they had an early exclusive deal for Bungie, Rare, *and* Blizzard games!

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
This just shows how little MS cared about gaming if they were outbid by a fucking camping company.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's rational, they must have tried to purchase all big players, but not everyone is for sale, right?
They actually *turned down* Sega, who offered themselves to Microsoft before the XBox was a thing. Because they didn't think Sega could compete with Playstation, and thought they could do better by themselves.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if MS has a list of developers they once tried acquiring and are just going with that now.
We know they almost bought Midway and Square (price too high at the time) there might be others I'm missing I think Bloomberg had an article last year talking about the history of Xbox which highlighted most of them. So basically everyone lol

Edit: EA too which was worth $6 billion at the time.

Last edited:

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
No disrespect to Ed here -- he's a really good guy -- but as someone that worked at Westwood Studios for many years and now has worked at Microsoft for even longer, I'd opine that I don't see how the Microsoft of 20 years ago would have been able to work harmoniously with Westwood over the long-term, much like what happened with EA and Westwood. It was simply a case of incompatible cultures; something would have collapsed along the way on one side or the other.

The MS of today though is completely different culture-wise. For the better, IMO.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
No disrespect to Ed here -- he's a really good guy -- but as someone that worked at Westwood Studios for many years and now has worked at Microsoft for even longer, I'd opine that I don't see how the Microsoft of 20 years ago would have been able to work harmoniously with Westwood over the long-term, much like what happened with EA and Westwood. It was simply a case of incompatible cultures; something would have collapsed along the way on one side or the other.

The MS of today though is completely different culture-wise. For the better, IMO.
Agreed. Although I guess you don't need much agreement since you probably know about it more than anyone else 😂

Nov 6, 2017
Microsoft basically got its foot in the door into the game industry by buying Bungie, and Rare didn't hurt either. Imagine if they had an early exclusive deal for Bungie, Rare, *and* Blizzard games!

Microsoft have been in the games industry since 1982 - that's arguably the reason they've had the success that Amazon, Google, and arguably Apple (the success of games on the app store is in spite of, not due to them IMO - their big gaming push was the Pippin) haven't

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely baffled why a timeshare camping business and a French water company want to buy a game developer like Blizzard - especially enough to outbid the likes of Microsoft.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely baffled why a timeshare camping business and a French water company want to buy a game developer like Blizzard - especially enough to outbid the likes of Microsoft.
dot com bubble

pretty much was the dumbest investing time ever (outside of crypto) but sometimes there were good companies bought up amongst the bad

Even though it was largely an internet boom, it swelled into all forms of tech. So you had a bunch of strange companies investing into unrelated tech categories trying to get a piece of the pie.

Also... even though Microsoft has been one of the most cash flush companies since the mid 90s, they are still usually careful with their bids and kind of offer around a strict fair value (this ultimately changed later) so there was big potential for them to be outbid constantly. Also kinda helps to keep them out of trouble with the government since they aren't super competitive with takeovers.

Last edited:

Judau

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, me too. In terms of spending power, hasn't MS been at the top of the food chain since the original Xbox?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking up the "Davidson" company Ed mentioned that owned Blizzard, turns out they were the ones who made Math Blaster

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Glad Microsoft didn't acquire them back then, look at what they did to Ensemble when Microsoft was going through that "kill PC gaming" phase.

Deleted member 11086

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 16, 2022
Glad Microsoft didn't acquire them back then, look at what they did to Ensemble when Microsoft was going through that "kill PC gaming" phase.

I have come to peace with the fact that once a studios owners (who in small studio video games are usually people who were instrumental in making the games we love actually what they were) decide to sell the studio is already dead.

It doesn't matter if it's Square Enix, EA, Activision, Microsoft. Once the owners sell and the senior people either go and form their own small studios or retire from gaming all together you are never going to get the same games again.

So either everyone already moved on to greater things, or the place was so toxic it drove off all the talent, or the games weren't selling and will need to be changed to make money. All of these reasons are why people sell out. But it isn't the big company buying them that killed them, they were already dieing and the buyout just let's people squeeze whatever little bit of value left out of a place.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021

Even better look at them now! big difference 😂 but yeah I guess at least if MS had them now they would actually use the IP, use worlds edge and a partner studio to help build it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"In the 90s, Microsoft got outbid trying to buy Activision by a company called SendIn Cuc which runs a timeshare camping business."

"In 2022, Microsoft buys Activision for $70b."

I feel like the story of the gaming industry can be told in these two sentences :D

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah Westwood would have fallen apart in a similar way unfortunately. I think early 2000s Microsoft wouldve been pretty horrid for Blizzard also but maybe StarCraft Ghost wouldve survived?

god i could really go for some fries right now

really all i have to say
It is pronounced freeze, like Mr Freeze.

Get some freezer fries for the air fryer.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

You should be on a certain podcast to talk some more about this someday.. ;)

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Westwood would have fallen apart in a similar way unfortunately. I think early 2000s Microsoft wouldve been pretty horrid for Blizzard also but maybe StarCraft Ghost wouldve survived?

It is pronounced freeze, like Mr Freeze.

Get some freezer fries for the air fryer.
And throw a bit of olive oil on them right before. It helps keep them from completely drying out and gives them that golden brown crispy flavor too.

Nov 8, 2017

Unfortunately that would have been no guarantee of its survival. Microsoft was not a safe haven for studios between 2000 and 2015.

Companies they acquired in the 90s through mid 00s were Aces, FASA, Digital Anvil, Bungie, Ensemble, Rare, Lionhead and Press Play.

Only two of these eight studios still exist. Considering they shut down Ensemble despite the popularity of Age of Empires, Westwood probably would have needed to pivot to another genre and made a smash hit in order to survive at all.