• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

Wow. This is kind of first for a celebrity chef type to go vegan, right?

Much respect for Eddie though. More power to him.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda need a little more than that but ok thanks?

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
He should 1st actually look for more info and real stuff, because I live there and it's far from what's on TV with all these old vídeos and pictures... Even France's president used old photos and vídeos from fire in US forests saying that it was here... Give me a break ffs.

Although, it's always good to go Vegan! it's healthier and the animals thank you!

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good thing. But I hope he's truly ready and wont double back.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
He said he's quitting BEEF not going vegan.

I'm sure he's going to fail at some point since he made the decision all of a sudden. Best luck on it though, it's going to be tough

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda need a little more than that but ok thanks?

What? I think this is a pretty damn cool thing to do, and if he inspires others to make the change to eat less beef too that'd be fantastic.

He said he's quitting BEEF not going vegan.

I'm sure he's going to fail at some point since he made the decision all of a sudden. Best luck on it though, it's going to be tough

He literally says he's going vegan in the post

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good gesture but there's some caveats attached:

The problem is not any specific foodstuff, but the entire profit motive around agricultural industry that prioritizes short term profits over long term sustainability, which is the simply end result of free market capitalism. Until we reach the point where our food is literally grown in labs operated on offshore plantations this is unavoidable. What you eat matters less than where it's source from and how it fits into the entire production chain.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't eaten beef in years for environmental reasons /not so humble brag

And I haven't eaten pork since watching Okja /slaying this shit

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic, hope this prompts him to consider the ethical aspect of unnecessary animal exploitation too and that he uses his platform to increase awareness.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019

The problem is not any specific foodstuff, but the entire profit motive around agricultural industry that prioritizes short term profits over long term sustainability, which is the simply end result of free market capitalism. Until we reach the point where our food is literally grown in labs operated on offshore plantations this is unavoidable. What you eat matters less than where it's source from and how it fits into the entire production chain.

I'm sure corporations from both the fossil fuel industry and agriculture are ecstatic that people seem to be blaming each other for eating meat while they continue to destroy the planet and advertise said products to us.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm never going to go vegan. I already limit beef products for my overall health. I don't think asking a huge percentage of people worldwide to randomly change their diets is a viable direction to go. I see more benefit in finding alternatives to feed the masses what they like to eat.

Oct 28, 2017

The Amazon is just the most visible and alarming place where animal agriculture is having a detrimental effect on the environment. By switching away from animal products (including towards lab grown meat as you point out, but in general too) we can make a difference.

Also Brazil exports huge amounts of soy around the world, the majority of which is fed to livestock (which is then often exported too)

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, good intentions, but this is the height of generally useless, performative activism.

Markets are connected. There is overlap between US beef consuming countries and Brazilian beef consuming countries. Reducing beef consumption in the US definitely decreases Brazilian beef production.

Moreover, reducing meat/beef consumption is still a net positive for the environment, even if it did not directly impact the Amazon.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

My son told me that it's not about eating less meat but stopping deforestation of rainforests to create palm oil farms.

He was 8 lol

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Markets are connected. There is overlap between US beef consuming countries and Brazilian beef consuming countries. Reducing beef consumption in the US definitely decreases Brazilian beef production.

Moreover, reducing meat/beef consumption is still a net positive for the environment, even if it did not directly impact the Amazon.
Individual consumer choice ain't gonna do shit. I say this as a pescatarian who hasn't consumed red meat in over 15 years.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA

It's not nearly enough. This is effectively useless from an environmental perspective.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am going to take a wild guess but palm oil for vegan burger will use a lot less resource than beef burger

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I found the bolsominion

He should 1st actually look for more info and real stuff, because I live there and it's far from what's on TV with all these old vídeos and pictures... Even France's president used old photos and vídeos from fire in US forests saying that it was here... Give me a break ffs.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil has been the poster child for slash and burn farming for decades. Yes, that includes vegans and their cravings for delicious farmed fruits and vegetables.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the bolsominion
They actually sounded like my Bolsominion mother talking today at the lunch table.

"I have friends living in Rondonia, it's all fake news, things are not on fire at all and these europeans just want to colonize us using this excuse."

*proceeds to show me a video about a man who "clearly is not a bolsominion" who lives at Rondonia saying that things are very fine and that there are no changes at all at fire incidents since Bolsonaro was made president, meanwhile not showing anything aside from his face*

So yeah, there are people who believes this amazon fire stuff to be just a conspiracy theory. Not surprised at the post.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I'm never going to go vegan. I already limit beef products for my overall health. I don't think asking a huge percentage of people worldwide to randomly change their diets is a viable direction to go. I see more benefit in finding alternatives to feed the masses what they like to eat.
Like... vegan meat?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Veganism isn't protest, capitalism is the fucking problem.

Liberals thinking they can solve shit by eating less meat are delusional.

Brazil has been the poster child for slash and burn farming for decades. Yes, that includes vegans and their cravings for delicious farmed fruits and vegetables.

Yep.

Soy beans from Brasil in his Tofu, but good thing he stopped eating corned beef from juniors

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We cut off beef in our home about a month ago. It's not a huge deal but we're trying to help a little. Chicken is king anyways. No love lost

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, only vegans eat fruits and vegetables. 91% of the Amazon deforestation is for cattle rearing, we wouldn't need nearly as much space to feed people fruit and vegetables.

It's clear from the Instagram post that the Amazon burning was more of a trigger or the straw that broke the camel's back (sorry PETA for using that terminology). As Huang states, plant-based diets require far less land on average, and that's a benefit anywhrre on earth.

I definitely hope he'll talk about the ethical arguments against abusing billions of animals for our pleasure and convenience, those are even harder to dismiss.

Oct 28, 2017
Soy beans from Brasil in his Tofu, but good thing he stopped eating corned beef from juniors
Something like 8% of soy is consumed by humans, the majority goes to feed animals. We wouldn't need anywhere near as much land if we just ate the soy ourselves rather than filtering it through a sentient being who we then stab to death.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great move and I hope it inspires others. You can still have great culinary experiences without meat and dairy, and you will treat your body better and the planet. I hope he'll use his platform to showcase how far vegan restaurants/cuisine has come in the past decade.

That tweet from Planey is a bit whataboutism. Who says you need to substitute beef with processed fake meats? Eat veggies and eat tempeh/tofu, legumes, nuts, and seitan for your protein. This does not have to be a choice between one kind of negative environmental impact and another.

I agree that there is an aspect of Big Agro in this though, that's definitely part of the mix. Globalization has caused smaller countries to negatively impact their natural resources for the purposes of satisfying western market needs. It's the same irresponsible outsourcing of goods by western corps that has shifted pollution to places like China.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Veganism isn't protest, capitalism is the fucking problem.

Liberals thinking they can solve shit by eating less meat are delusional.

Yep.

So sick of this shit, it's mind boggling that people can be so uninformed after so long as to why soy is grown in the quantities it is.

Hint: animals have to fucking eat to grow and be eaten by us you know.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Good for him although it seems the gesture is empty as it pertains to beef no longer allowed to come in from Brazil. Wait, does that mean Brazilian steakhouses are all a lie since 2017!?

Also, it appears he has confused vegetarian and vegan.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia

A few weeks ago the United Nations came out with a report from an enormous number of scientists spread across 50+ countries that straight out stated the number one thing you can do to improve things as an individual is change your diet, it literally ranks the impact of every well recognized diet for people to easily see the difference.

They also stated that if people went vegan we could feed the projected population of 2050, over 9 BILLION, using LESS LAND than we currently use to feed ourselves.

People in this thread trying to find reasons why it's ok to make no change need to get over it, if someone comes out and says they like meat and won't change regardless of the facts that's perfectly fine with me, but people pretending we can't have an impact are just fooling themselves.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Being vegan/vegetarian helps.

Being anti-capitalist helps.

Being a vegan anti-capitalist is best.

There doesn't need to be a fight over this.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Isn't soy (some non-insignificant portion of which comes from Brazil?) used to feed quite a lot of US cattle? So while you don't import the meat, rainforests are still being burned/hacked away to feed the animals all around the world.

And no, what you eat very much matters when it comes to meat, no matter where it comes from. It isn't much better even if it comes from your near farm because it will still have used a fuckton of water, land and create about as much pollution & greenhouse gases as meat further away. If you're not eating Brazilian meat or Canadian or whatever, you're just not outsourcing all the negative effects to other countries, but just bringing them into your own.