kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
variety.com

Edgar Wright in Talks to Direct ‘Barbarella’ Starring Sydney Sweeney

The Sydney Sweeney-led "Barbarella" film is taking shape, with Edgar Wright in talks to direct for Sony. Jane and Honey Goldman are in talks to write.
The Sydney Sweeney-led "Barbarella" film is taking shape, with Edgar Wright in talks to direct the picture for Sony. Jane Goldman and Honey Ross are in talks to pen the script.

Wright, best known for directing the satiric zombie film "Shaun of the Dead," is next set to direct Glen Powell in an adaptation of Stephen King's "The Running Man." Wright's other directorial credits include "Last Night in Soho," Hot Fuzz," "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" and "Baby Driver."
The project also marks another step in Sweeney's continued relationship with Sony Pictures — she's most recently starred in "Anyone But You" and "Madame Web" for the studio. While "Madame Web" was largely panned by critics, Sweeney says her involvement in the film was a "strategic business decision" that's since paid off.

"To me, that film was a building block, it's what allowed me to build a relationship with Sony," Sweeney said. "Without doing 'Madame Web' I wouldn't have a relationship with the decision-makers over there. Everything in my career I do not just for that story, but strategic business decisions. Because I did that, I was able to sell 'Anyone but You.' I was able to get 'Barbarella.'"
Adapted from French writer and illustrator Jean-Claude Forest's comic series, the original 1968 "Barbarella" starred Jane Fonda as the titular space-traveling heroine. Although the film wasn't a box office smash at the time, it has garnered a cult film status in the decades since, with Barbarella widely seen as one of Fonda's most iconic on-screen roles.

Last edited:

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
How many times have they tried to get this off the ground
Wasn't Nicolas Winding Refn attached at one point

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
They've been talking about this for years with Wright directing Sweeney. How the fuck have they still not started writing a script yet?

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how they could even pull this off without tainting the core of it, the main selling point of the original wouldn't even fly today.(Unfortunately)

PS_Snake

Jun 11, 2023
Might be a hot take but I don't think Edgar has done anything great since Scott Pilgrim. Hope to be proven wrong but I think he seems to learn the wrong lessons from his failures at the box office. His choices especially when it came to casting Baby Driver were very off to me.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a hot take but I don't think Edgar has done anything great since Scott Pilgrim. Hope to be proven wrong but I think he seems to learn the wrong lessons from his failures at the box office. His choices especially when it came to casting Baby Driver were very off to me.
Baby Driver was a lot of fun despite almost the entire cast getting cancelled.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
The director who has never handled a female character well even once in his 20 year career doing a Barbarella reboot is a CHOICE. I know Sweeney really wants this. She's trying to make this a franchise film with her hands on the wheel. Hope it works out for everyone; would be nice to have a fun, space adventure for adults.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Sexist & Misogynist Commentary
She is pretty enough and ... well the obvious, but she is an average one note actress at best.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed last night in Soho. And since we're talking about 70s homages, why not Barbarella?

Feb 20, 2024
Oh the memories of discovering this film in my teenage years in the 80s….

They'd better no butcher it. I'm not sure how exactly you'd do it straight with modern sensibilities though.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The director who has never handled a female character well even once in his 20 year career doing a Barbarella reboot is a CHOICE. I know Sweeney really wants this. She's trying to make this a franchise film with her hands on the wheel. Hope it works out for everyone; would be nice to have a fun, space adventure for adults.
Why would she not push for a female director then? Like Margot Robbie pushed for Greta Gerwig to direct Barbie.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I have seen the original last year and was bored out of my mind. Hope they can come up with something more interesting for this reboot.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Curious how they'll handle this. Seems like a real tightrope between modernizing it and keeping Barbarella Babarella

What was wrong with Last night in soho?

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
It's weird to me that one of the best working directors seems to be doing remakes of cult movies featuring the stars of Anyone but You for the foreseeable future. I guess Last Night underperforming put him in light director jail.

Will still see anything he makes. This one is bound to be way better than it has any right to be because of him.

fzburner

Jul 3, 2023
Terrible pairing, Wright can't direct women and Sydney doesn't have the range at all to do the role properly

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I love most of Edgar Wright's films (plus Spaced is like top 5 favorite shows for me), and Barbarella is a wild ride, but I don't know if I can see those two flavors mixing particularly well.

Barbarella is an important film because it has genuinely great set design and special effects for something from the 60s, the soundtrack is incredible, and it has some interesting ideas when it's not showing Jane Fonda in various states of undress/post-coitus, but it's genuinely awful. I love it, of course, from an iconic-in-the-gay-world way - but it's not a good movie. The writing would absolutely make or break a re imagining of it, and I really don't know if Wright could manage to replicate the overwhelming horniness of the original.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I know about Barbarella is that it is the origin of Duran Duran's name. Should I watch it?

Chippewa Barr