• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
Cover is Ghostwire Tokyo

Horizon Forbidden West - 7/10
Rather, its in the great outdoors where Forbidden West comes to life. When the story's leash is off and we're free to luxuriate in its world and the wider casts personal tales, its not hard to understand why the first game was so popular. This is, then, more of the same in every sense and your feelings towards the first will determine whether you see that as a recommendation.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human - 7/10
It wouldn't be accurate to say that Techland has delivered on its initial vision for Dying Light 2 - nor to say its flunked the exacting test set for itself, either. Instead, that vision has come through slightly blurred - just clear enough you can make out the shape, and admire the vision.

Sifu - 8/10
It's never easy. But somehow, when we fall, it only makes us all the more keen to dust ourselves off and get up again. Once we've taken that calming breath at least.

Rainbow Six Extraction - 7/10
In a game that succumbs a little too often to 'numbers go up' design, its much more of a thrill to see them go down occasionally, then have to strive just to get back on an even level. Even battle passes and XP bars, it seems, can benefit from a little absence.

Pokemon Legends Arceus - 7/10
While this isn't likely to be the default template for future mainline entries from now on - nor should Game Freak leave behind the younger players that are its core audience - this fruitful offshoot is too good not to return in some form. If you've found yourself thinking Pokemon has been showing its age as of late, Pokemon Legends Acres proves, like members of its player base, its more than capable of maturing too.

OlliOlli World - 9/10

Strange Horticulture - 8/10

Wanderer - 7/10

Not for Broadcast - 7/10

Please, Touch the Artwork - 7/10

Hype

Baldur's Gate 3
Triangle Strategy
Citizen Sleeper
Vampire Survivors
Mask of the Rose
Afterlove EP

Features

The Evil Without (Ghostwire)
On Deck (Gabe Newell talking about the Steam Deck)
Automatic for the People
The Making of Overboard
Studio Profile on White Paper Games
Time Extend on Florence
The Long Game on Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection

Knowledge

Discussing Microsoft's acquisition of Activison blizzard
Commodore Horizons
Talking to Akihiro Suzuki about Dynasty Warriors

Last edited:

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
The sum of the scores in this issue might be the highest I've ever seen. It's rare not to have at least one 4 or 5 game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
We might need no elden ring review in the tilte lol. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Edge's next 10.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for adding some text for each review score, hopefully that might calm some people when looking at certain review scores... Its a really good score month though, then again its a great group of games. I'm most interested in seeing what they have to say about Olli Olli World, I've not played the second game in so long, but remember loving it. Nice to see they liked Sifu as well, such a great little game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Strong month for reviews! All high.

Go OlliOlli!

Interested in the Ghostwire feature.

MegaMetroid

Alt-Account
Banned
May 16, 2021
I guess some reports of Horizon being more like an expansion were not entirely untrue.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Insert joke about edge being edgy or something because a game I like got scored too low

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see they enjoyed Sifu. I should buy OlliOlliWorld at some point - right now i won't have enough time to play it.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I agree with those scores. I think people were a bit too eager to call Arceus the next coming of Pokemon, when it gets old very quickly even though it has a lot of good ideas.

And Horizon is a 7/10 with a 9/10 coat of paint slapped across it.

Oct 25, 2017
I know, different reviewers and all I assume, but Forbidden West basically improves upon everything in ZD, which got a 9 in Edge. 7 feels a bit harsh to me. FW fixes most of the problems I had with ZD (better traversal and melee combat, a better, more varied and more lively world, much better direction in the cutscenes etc.). And gyro is a gamechanger in the ranged combat for me.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Horizon II is 7/10, Horizon is 5, 6 at best. I call bullshit on that score, Edge. Opinions and all but don't see it myself after playing 30 hours of it (with merely 20% done).

Edit: They gave first one a 9? Hue hue hue.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I know, different reviewers and all I assume, but Forbidden West basically improves upon everything in ZD, which got a 9 in Edge. 7 feels a bit harsh to me. FW fixes most of the problems I had with ZD (better traversal and melee combat, a better, more varied and more lively world, much better direction in the cutscenes etc.). And gyro is a gamechanger in the ranged combat for me.

Key words "for me." That reviewer didn't feel the same apparently

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised Extraction got such a high score from Edge. I'll have to give it a try.

I also still need to get Olli Olli World. I feel this game is getting the short end of the stick because it released in such a packed month, it looks wonderful though.

Oct 28, 2017
Totally get these scores. I'd give Horizon an 8 myself but EDGE being EDGE, a 7 was predictable. Great to see Sifu getting recognised for its greatness!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm surprised Extraction got such a high score from Edge. I'll have to give it a try.

I also still need to get Olli Olli World. I feel this game is getting the short end of the stick because it released in such a packed month, it looks wonderful though.

Yeah, it definitely fell the out the cracks for me. I am curious about trying it out at some point at a quieter time.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
And Horizon is a 7/10 with a 9/10 coat of paint slapped across it.

What does this even mean?

It's a 7/10 game that looks and plays like a 9/10 game. But deep down in my heart I know it's a 7 because I don't like it. Is that it?

It's either a 7/9 game or a 9/10 game.... or anything else really. But it can't be two scores at once. "A coat of paint" will either elevate the experience for you or not, it's that simple. For me, that coat of paint includes spectacular design, amazing acting, improved combat and a beautiful world to explore.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Love to see that Sifu score. Well deserved for an amazing game. Easily going to be a GOTY contender for me.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Forbidden West is better than the original but it certainly didn't improve everything. The game introduced new elementals and you have 11(?) different types now for no reason. The armour and weapon upgrading is also even more grindy than in the original and the skill trees are too big with a lot of upgrades that only make a marginal difference. The skill trees are also weird in the fact that bow upgrades can be found in 4 different skill trees.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Ah yes, that horizon score wasted no time in riling up some people who forget that others have opinions that may not align with theirs.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah yes, that horizon score wasted no time in riling up some people who forget that others have opinions that may not align with theirs.
Lets not comment on any opinion other than ours and just leave it at 'good for them'?

Inevitable. That's why forums exist and that's why people always argue: differences.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

Edge often ranks innovation and such higher than just execution and marginal refinement, and maybe the more of the sameness they talk about dragged it down for them. Or just different reviewers.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
OlliOlli World has been quite a lovely experience, until I try to do the challenges and ruin my thumbs 🥵

The more I play Sifu, the more I'm disappointed with several things but there's nothing else when the combat is firing on all cylinders as you waste whole rooms with style aplomb. So I can see why they gave it an 8 and I do enjoy getting better at the avoid moves, parries, and implementing the special moves.

Can't wait to read this when I get home. Curious on the White Paper Games profile, as they're quite local and are a good bunch of folks when I've chatted with them at EGX. Also want to read how Inkle made Overboard! during the pandemic. Their next game looks promising.

WriterInTheDark Thanks for adding the review blurbs!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Forbidden West is better than the original but it certainly didn't improve everything. The game introduced new elementals and you have 11(?) different types now for no reason. The armour and weapon upgrading is also even more grindy than in the original and the skill trees are too big with a lot of upgrades that only make a marginal difference. The skill trees are also weird in the fact that bow upgrades can be found in 4 different skill trees.

also, "improving" in itself doesn't mean the game itself as a whole will have as big of an impact. The first horizon was hard carried by the unique setting. The sequel adds some elemnts to it but it's hardly surprising this time around.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Happy to see Sifu getting the flowers it deserves.

Solid scores all around.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
What does this even mean?

It's a 7/10 game that looks and plays like a 9/10 game. But deep down in my heart I know it's a 7 because I don't like it. Is that it?

It's either a 7/9 game or a 9/10 game.... or anything else really. But it can't be two scores at once. "A coat of paint" will either elevate the experience for you or not, it's that simple. For me, that coat of paint includes spectacular design, amazing acting, improved combat and a beautiful world to explore.
I took the "9/10 coat of paint" line to mean "pretty graphics". That it's a 7/10 but with a 9/10 game's pretty graphics.

I haven't played FW (or ZD for that matter) so I have no opinion regarding this. I think Horizon looks interesting and I have both on my to-play list.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I took the "9/10 coat of paint" line to mean "pretty graphics". That it's a 7/10 but with a 9/10 game's pretty graphics.

I haven't played FW (or ZD for that matter) so I have no opinion regarding this. I think Horizon looks interesting and I have both on my to-play list.

Ok, makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Btw, I dislike this idea about "just graphics" because people usually mean "realism" or "textures". But in FW there is some spectacular design, as in, artistry - from costumes to locations. It really does elevate the experience and immersion. These are not the only improvements, but even if they were, I wouldn't call it "just graphics". This forum is known to downplay artistic direction and design as "pretty graphics" (not saying you did, it's just something that usually annoys me).

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
7 is good score for Horizon from EDGE.
I skipped it for good after checked Max Dood stream on launch day (don't think he is coming back to that game again). Opening is pretty much 2 hours ultra linear tutorial with clunky platforming. Max even joked ''everything's Uncharted'' lol. Why devs still do this on open-world games?

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Horizon and Pokemon both 7?
And OllieOllie World 2 points above?
Interesting. Edge is definitely an distinct voice in gaming.

I skipped it for good after checked Max Dood stream on launch day (don't think he is coming back to that game again). Opening is pretty much 2 hours ultra linear tutorial with clunky platforming. Max even joked ''everything's Uncharted'' lol. Why devs still do this on open-world games?
Really? maaan. Thats boring.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

The first two hours are the worst, yes, but that's just a bland tutorial, the game it's not that. A reviewer is not going to form a conclusion just by playing that segment.

If Horizon FW is "more of the same" then I wanna see a sequel that it's not.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

one of my biggest grips with HFW, it's grind for the sake of grind and making the player spend more time in your game.