• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
Cover is Flintlock

Reviews

Elden Ring - 10

Not for the first time, a Miyazaki game has arrived and the landscape appears transformed. As you play, there is a sense of plates shifting beneath you, of the T&C's of game development being rewritten. We haven't felt this way since breath of the wild.

Gran Turismo 7 - 9

Beyond its technical excellence, then, Gran Truism 7 feels deeply, idiosyncratically personal in a way first party games rarely do. It is strange and sometimes restrictive, resolutely uncool, and in its earnest celebration of car culture, occasionally even a little overbearing. But this is a racing sim with real soul, realised with genuine passion and no little eccentricity. Twenty five years on, Gran Turismo has never felt more vital.'

Tunic - 8

When Tunic gestures towards Zelda games of old, something it does with the subtlety of an air traffic controller, its indicating an attempt to chip away the intervening decades and get back to the feeling of playing those games for the first time, when they still held what seemed like bottomless mystery. Just RTFM, as they used to say. You're sure to be rewarded.

Triangle Strategy - 8

But it's hard to deny Square's most effective stratagem is the time it takes to invest you in the fate of this war stricken continent and all who there....

Destiny 2: The Witch Queen - 7

What should be an easy recommendation is instead laden with provisos: this is a good expansion, a solid foundation for the next year of updates, and a lousy place for newcomers to start.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 8

Not that Fromsoftware will be quaking in its boots., Indeed, those who've never understood the appeal of Kirby are unlikely to be convinced by his move into 3D. But otherwise this compact, imaginative adventure is a low key triumph, a work of great craft and wit that, unlike its lead, doesn't bite off more than it can chew. And it only leaves you hungry for more.

Martha is Dead - 4

This miserable wallow in the psyche of a traumatised young woman isn't so much horrifying, then, as simply unpleasant.

Total War: Warhammer III - 8

It brings one of gamings greatest licensed adaptations to a thunderous conclusion.

Norco - 7

Don't expect a tidy conclusion, exactly, or one thats much happier than its beginning, but the succession of increasingly strange moments that lead you there is irresistible. It's these that will live on in our memory we suspect, as the games rough edges are eroded by time.

Lost Ark - 7

No classic then, but Smilegate has delivered a big, silly, characterful romp thats best experienced with friends.

CrossfireX - 3
Far: Changing Tides - 7

Hype

The Wolf Among Us 2
A Highland Song
Neon White
The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story
Nintendo Switch Sports
Animal Well

Features

Lock And Load - Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn
Wanderlust - industry innovators talking about the impact of walking simulators
Time Extend on De Blob
The Long Game on Crytek's Hunt: Showdown
Collected Works on Ed Rotberg
The Making of Tales of Arise
Studio Profile on Upper Games

Oct 25, 2017
Epic scores. This gen is firing on all cylinders. Congrats to From for their second EDGE ten, well third if you count their reappraisal of Dark Souls.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
8 for Kirby is promising. Already got it preordered but looks like it could be the best in the series by a considerable distance. The demo was great. Bring on Friday.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved for elden ring. Happy to see triangle strategy score high too, game is great.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Gran Turismo 7 doesn't deserve that score if they've played previous mainline entries they could compare to or they've stopped to take a look at the single player endgame content or balancing even before the MTX were sneakely introduced. Game is great when you are driving and not being asked for money, though.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"Not for the first time, a Miyazaki game has arrived and the landscape appears transformed. As you play, there is a sense of plates shifting beneath you, of the T&C's of game development being rewritten. We haven't felt this way since breath of the wild."

Perfect snippet that captures the spirit of the game. A deserved 10 from Edge.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Souls spawned a number of games inspired by it, so is Breath of The Wild, but only a few nailed them and become their own identities. I'm not sure how many studios can afford to even put inspiration from Elden Ring to work, but we'll see.

We have anime Dark Souls and we have anime Breath of The Wild, I want to play anime Elden Ring.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, GT7 getting a 9 from EDGE is huge. The economy stuff sucks and I hate the rolling starts, but it's a fantastic game overall and I can't really disagree with the score.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Called it! It's an Edge 10 game if I ever saw one.. and in a good way :D

Edit: And I agree with the 9 for GT7 as well. I'm really loving that game too despite the economy concerns.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy month for games! Some high praise across the board there.

So much for Edge 'being edgy' or whatever boring people like to say so often.

Elden Ring, GT7 and Tunic are three of my fave games this year so far. A 10, a 9 and an 8!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yea, its a 10 even with the flaws. That's a surprisingly good score for Kirby.
GT7 seems to get a pass from most outlets despite its monetization.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I've spent more time playing games lately thanks to Elden Ring and GT7 than in a long long time. Both hooked me in in ways few games do these days.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
more than deserved for From.

GT7 needs to change but the core of the game really is just that good. Unfortunate timing though as I'm sure they would have gone full bore on the controversies

I've spent more time playing games lately thanks to Elden Ring and GT7 than in a long long time. Both hooked me in in ways few games do these days.
Same, addicted to both.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kudos to ER, well deserved.

more than deserved for From.

GT7 needs to change but the core of the game really is just that good. Unfortunate timing though as I'm sure they would have gone full bore on the controversies

Same, addicted to both.

GT7 is a racing game where you progress by earning credits and completing challenges to move on to the next one. The micro-transactions are intrinsically tied to your rewards, you can purchase with money what you'd earn with effort, they change how many credits you earn after each race and that in turns impacts the value of the credits you can buy. The core of the game has micro-transactions, even if the racing and graphics are excellent, GT7 is a game that is, quite unfortunately but literally, rotten at the core.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really gotta pick up Triangle Strategy, huh

Awesome to see Kirby off to a good start

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
8 for Kirby is promising. Already got it preordered but looks like it could be the best in the series by a considerable distance. The demo was great. Bring on Friday.

Yup!

Not that Fromsoftware will be quaking in its boots., Indeed, those who've never understood the appeal of Kirby are unlikely to be convinced by his move into 3D. But otherwise this compact, imaginative adventure is a low key triumph, a work of great craft and wit that, unlike its lead, doesn't bite off more than it can chew. And it only leaves you hungry for more.

Speak for yourselves, Kirby has been my most hyped game in forever!

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Elden Ring so far is a 10 for me as well. Haven't felt this way about a game since RDR2 or TLOU2. It's truly an amazing experience that I constantly think about it.

Also that Kirby score gives me hope that the game is great

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
How? Isn't it basically the critical consensus that it's one of the best games ever made? Edge is hardly an outlier here.
What has that got to do with the person you quoted. Edge is agreeing with the general critical consensus which Magic Mushroom is saying is deserved. They don't need to be an outlier for the 10 to still be deserved.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GT7 is a racing game where you progress by earning credits and completing challenges to move on to the next one. The micro-transactions are intrinsically tied to your rewards, you can purchase with money what you'd earn with effort, they change how many credits you earn after each race and that in turns impacts the value of the credits you can buy. The core of the game has micro-transactions, even if the racing and graphics are excellent, GT7 is a game that is, quite unfortunately but literally, rotten at the core.
I know, I play the game. The GT7 edge gave 9 to is still there, with some nerfed payouts. In that sense it's not an enormous change. It does of corse need to be fixed.

How? Isn't it basically the critical consensus that it's one of the best games ever made? Edge is hardly an outlier here.
No I mean they fully deserve it. Might have been a weird choice of words.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is Sam Barlow's last "Unreliable Narrator" column for EDGE which has been about storytelling in games, as the release of Immortality is looming and he talks about it's his "fullest effort at a deeper inquiry into storytelling". Will miss his column!

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, well deserved for Elden Ring. What a monster of a game. I can't stop playing it since the launch month ago.