Oct 26, 2017
People are going to kill me for saying this but

The Legacy of Kain series. It is pure edgy poetry.
Defiance-Promotional-Morelok-F.jpg
Pure blasphemy.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone doubts the answer is Hatred, please watch the ending. Pay special attention to the password.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Edgy" being used to describe Devil May Cry 3's Dante just proves the word means little anymore.

tumblr_no9hm7Z5jg1rebirxo1_500.gif

He's a clownish glam rocker with a penchant for red leather, pizza, strawberry sundaes, heavy metal, and over the top fighting. He turns into this in Devil May Cry 4:

giphy.gif

Devil-May-Cry-4-Dante-dante-39278436-500-275.gif

giphy.gif

DMC-4-Gif-devil-may-cry-30450721-500-254.gif

0C5B67B204BA9DC3967BAEFCC9491C260D9559C1

In fact, Dante in DMC 4 is used to contrast Nero's more serious, no nonsense nature. He's a confident, fun loving goofball who flat out refuses to brood over his traumatic past. He doesn't drink, smoke, or swear and eats tons of pizza and ice cream instead. He's pretty much the opposite of edge in the games. The edgiest he gets in the OG series is the anime and the writing makes it a point of pointing out how much a dork he's being.

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness edge has its place, it's just sometimes the game tried too hard to identify itself as being edgy.

Like in a better game this will be an okay-to-goodish design, but trying to sell it as Bomberman for adults yeeeaahhhhh isn't particularly helping.
k0lCTuh.jpg

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
It's time I got hung by the town square:

Anything designed by Tetsuya Nomura! Yes, even his best characters are edgy as fuck!

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Handsome Jack in Tales of the Borderlands makes me never want to play a mainline Borderlands game.

Cover art doesn't help either:
latest

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
442-sega039s-madworldg3si8.jpg

Probably would have been better suited for a different platform than the Wii.
Maybe...that was the reason why it was on Wii?

Also yeah, the setting could be considered edgy, but even Jack has a morbid sense of humor.

You might as well also include Anarchy Reigns as well.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Eternal Darkness and Soul Edge at least have the excuse of being inspired by some pretty grimdark stuff, I think. Eternal Darkness is straightforward Lovecraft knockoff - probably closer to the original spirit than the usual use of the Cthulhu mythos. As for Soul Edge, I have the sneaking suspicion that it's heavily inspired by Berserk.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
The entirety of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
After a few minutes of Godsmack and some seriously over the top lines I actually turned this off and have not played it again since. I loved the hell out of Sands of Time and could not for the life of me understand why they felt like they had to go all DARK and BROODING for the sequel.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
After a few minutes of Godsmack and some seriously over the top lines I actually turned this off and have not played it again since. I loved the hell out of Sands of Time and could not for the life of me understand why they felt like they had to go all DARK and BROODING for the sequel.

Warrior Within actually gets a really bad rap. The first 20 minutes are embarrassing as hell, but once the Prince makes it to the island, the tone is really perfectly fine and the Prince's demeanor cools off considerably. He's still lacking a lot of his SoT-charm, but the story and writing in WW, if not great, is still woefully misunderstood.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
Warrior Within actually gets a really bad rap. The first 20 minutes are embarrassing as hell, but once the Prince makes it to the island, the tone is really perfectly fine and the Prince's demeanor cools off considerably. He's still lacking a lot of his SoT-charm, but the story and writing in WW, if not great, is still woefully misunderstood.
Well shoot. Maybe I need to give it a fair shake some other time then. I definitely did not get past the first boss.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 70s punk inspiration excuses DmC Dante. If you think his swearing is excessive, dig a bit into history.

DMC Dante and several related characters are edgelords though, Virgil especially.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not normally into the edgy aesthetic, but I've played and REALLY enjoyed a bit of Devil May Cry 4 on Steam and decided I'd pick up the HD collection for the 360 while it was cheap. It has to be the most gloriously edgy thing I have ever played in my life.

Here's the opening to the third game:

MAN. This is so over the top and edgy that it's fallen into the depths of things that are so horrible that they're actually incredible. The fourth game isn't even half as edgy as this.

I poke fun, but I'm actually really enjoying myself. I love style fighters, and the more over the top the better.

Ignoring the obvious targets like Shadow The Hedgehog, what other ABSURDLY edgy games have you played?

Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4 are so far from edgy. That's what I would call pure awesome cheese. DmC... now that game was trying hard to be edgy some of that stuff in that game made me cringe so bad. Dante in 1,3 and 4 is just a suave rock'n'roll clown that doesn't take anything serious.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Splinter Cell: Conviction was a try-hard edgy game that had me rolling my eyes 99% of the time. The part where I lost it was when Sam Fisher entered some sort of... super mode, for lack of a better term, and you could now shoot motherfuckers in the head without limit all while a "feels" electronica song plays in the background and some screen-shaking self-destruct sequence goes on. Yeesh.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4 are so far from edgy. That's what I would call pure awesome cheese. DmC... now that game was trying hard to be edgy. Dante in 1,3 and 4 is just a clown that doesn't take anything serious.
Dmc was always tryhard. The definition of cool for the trench coat crowd. Dante/Nero never stop preening like they're about to start vogueing.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
You can't call DMC3 edgy when it really isn't.

How about the fact that DmC has a sniper rifle abortion? Someone thought up that scene, they animated it, voiced it, and put it in the game.