• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Luke from Tales of Abyss is kind of an edge lord but the narrative actually uses it really well to showcase his character growth.

Some of my favorite unironic edge lords: Alex Mercer from Prototype, Aiden Pierce from Watchdogs, hell, even Wrench and Sabine are kind of edgy.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Why can't we have edgy characters with glasses that ooze the smarty feels?

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Vex_Base.jpg

the new LOL champion, Vex. Her design is cool but her dialogue is so dumb and tryhard I can't really think of it as charming/good.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
The developers definitely thought he was super cool.

How so? He appears in one game, and in that game he is consistently portrayed as petty and cringe, with in-universe characters saying how he should be embarassed of himself. Both your party members and the player character (and not even as a dialog choice. Shep always says this) comment on how pathetic and full of himself he is.

The illusive man and Saren's death are given gravitas and hubris. Leng dies in a quick time event while shepard is sitting in a hair with their back turned. A quick time event that is arguably even more humiliating for him if you fail it because he dies anyway.

Characters in game treat him like a petty cringe bitch. He dies like a petty cringe bitch. Not a stretch to think that was the intent. In a game whose central theme is overcoming prejudice and working together to solve problems, what makes you think that the racist mall ninja who keeps losing is supposed to be some kind of aspirational figure.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think at the very least, SOMEONE thought Kai leng was cool. At least at first. He does kinda feel like "specific writer or designer with sway A really wanted this in but nobody else did". But he didn't make it through implementation.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
This is Masaki Andow
KnItR9r.png

One of the first original characters from the Super Robot Wars series all the way back to the SNES/Gameboy days. He pilots the Cybuster.

xaniGnz.jpg

Move over to the PS2 era and Super Robot Wars Z debuts Asakim Dowin
MS0D4Ni.png

His mech Shuroga
oD7xglG.jpg

And his upgrade the Shuroga Sin
SUn2cYI.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
latest

This douchebag right here. The game frames him as being right in hunting the gods but everything that happened to him was self-inflicted due to his cowardice during his fight with the Barbarian King.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Or at least we all kinda looked like that back then (I used a goatee and sideburns though, I've always hated the soul patch).

Now we mostly look like papa Marcus Fenix.

IMG_6288.jpg

We are all grumpy because our backs hurt. All of our back hurts. Literally. Must be the mosh pits.
All of our backs, absolutely. I was sore for days after standing for the entirety of the big Megadeth tour a bit back. My edge is gone. Worn away by the sands of time.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
All of our backs, absolutely. I was sore for days after standing for the entirety of the big Megadeth tour a bit back. My edge is gone. Worn away by the sands of time.
I bought tickets for a festival next year and I'm really gonna be on ibuprofen for a week.

But I really want to watch Queens of the Stone Age again.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I've seen people clown on this and I've clowned on it myself, but I also kind of love it. It's exactly the kind of shit my 16 year old self would have been obsessed with. Its a little less bold after FF XV: Broad Trip to Kill God, but it would have been an ace scene in Final Fantasy 7 or 8, I would have lost my mind.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
This is Masaki Andow
KnItR9r.png

One of the first original characters from the Super Robot Wars series all the way back to the SNES/Gameboy days. He pilots the Cybuster.

xaniGnz.jpg

Move over to the PS2 era and Super Robot Wars Z debuts Asakim Dowin
MS0D4Ni.png

His mech Shuroga
oD7xglG.jpg

And his upgrade the Shuroga Sin
SUn2cYI.jpg

No.

Mechs are exempted from any rule that would limit their edginess.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
ReykjavĂ­k, Iceland
This irritating little dweeb from The World Ends with You:

dweeb4okrx.jpg
That one's on purpose though and not supposed to be an Edgy Cool Guy. His whole arc is about letting go of the aloof edginess and by the halfway point he's well on his way to being a well adjusted young man. And then there's, like, all of Another Day. For all of its super hip mid-late 00s aestheticry TWEWY's writing is very self aware.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That one's on purpose though and not supposed to be an Edgy Cool Guy. His whole arc is about letting go of the aloof edginess and by the halfway point he's well on his way to being a well adjusted young man.

I've been told this before, and while I totally get it... boy, it's a tough hump to get over early on. He's so fucking annoying.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
latest

It's even in his name.... Edgeworth.......

Just updated the autopsy report... nothin personal kid
jesus christ why are his hands drawn so big

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
Vanitas from Kingdom Hearts.

778ccc1c8cc87cf9a9eb6a6efcc44554.png

It's not enough that he's a literal dark half of another character.
It's not enough that he looks like a black haired Sora.
And it's not enough that he's able to summon creatures based on negative emotions.
No what really pushes over (or to) the edge is how he was revived.
He was able to rebuild himself by using sadness and fear from the children his monsters scared.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Neku, like Squall, is the way he is so the game he's in can deconstruct his aloof attitude. It's a coming of age story and the entire point of the game is making him realize that his "friends suck" attitude is self-destructive and that he's keeping himself from growing as a person by closing himself off.

Also I know every edgelord has an excuse blah blah but Another Day literally tells you his attitude stems from losing his only friend and blaming himself for his death. He's an awkward teen with no social skills and survivor's guilt.

GerruFin

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people clown on this and I've clowned on it myself, but I also kind of love it. It's exactly the kind of shit my 16 year old self would have been obsessed with. Its a little less bold after FF XV: Broad Trip to Kill God, but it would have been an ace scene in Final Fantasy 7 or 8, I would have lost my mind.
It's a bit less funny when you notice he's using earbuds, so others don't actually hear the music

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That fact that it's on purpose doesn't make it much more palatable to me, personally. But I get that they were going for a specific thing and it's not just edge for the sake of edge.
While I get your point, Neku growing out of his close-mindedness is so much the entire point of the game that it's what its cryptic title actually means, as explicitly namedropped by Hanekoma:

DGKbyvZU0AAl4FF

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
latest

It's even in his name.... Edgeworth.......

Just updated the autopsy report... nothin personal kid
jesus christ why are his hands drawn so big

For someone with Edge in his name Edgeworth really isnt. Not even during his brief "evil rival" phase. He's just blunt. Apollo in DD though, now that hurts specially with the game banging POWER OF FRIENDSHIIIIIP all around it. And well, Simon freaking Blackquill with literal TRAINING THE BLADE quotes. He lightens up in SJ though.