• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Hi guys !

So I'm back to editing after a few years out of touch. Mainly 1080p clips and coverage (for friends, charity and myself).
Back in the days I used Premiere Pro but I don't wanna bother with a crack version of something again.
I tried a few softwares and felt in love with Da Vinci Resolve 15-free version. It's very smooth and easy to use until it keeps crashing when I'm adding something as trivia as a Fusion title.

I have a first gen Surface Book i5-6300U CPU, 8go Ram and using an external HDD. I haven't a GPU (so Intel HD Graphics 500 I guess ?). Is this the cause ? Should I give up on that software or even change my laptop ?

Thanks !

Oct 28, 2017
Can't speak to the specifics of Resolve as I've only used it a few times, but at one point I had a Surface Book 1st gen and it was incredibly undependable, and especially when trying to do any sort of motion graphics. (Adobe wise at least.)

GPU wise, there was one point when I was using a GPU dependent plugin in After Effects, and even tho I had the discrete GPU base, the SB would default back to running AE as an integrated intel graphics app, resulting in crashes. So a lack of the GPU might factor into what you're trying to do.

Unrelated to your problem, but I also went thru 3 replacements, as the build quality was horrible, and on occasion if I was editing anything using the GPU, and the SB got jostled the wrong way, it would cause it to think I had detached the screen, and the whole thing would crash.

Hate to say it because I spent so much on it, but I hated my surface book experience as a post-production guy. Too many moving parts, too "cleverly" designed to be dependable as an edit machine. (Sorry to vent. That laptop scarred me lol)

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding is Resolve is a pretty GPU reliant piece of software but i was checking the minimum specs for 15 and it says 16GB, for fusion it recommends 32 GB so that could also be part of the problem.

Minimum system requirements for Windows
  • Windows 10 Creators Update
  • 16 GB of system memory is recommended and 32 GB is recommended minimum when using Fusion
  • Blackmagic Design Desktop Video version 10.4.1 or later
  • NVIDIA/AMD/Intel GPU Driver version – As required by your GPU
  • RED Rocket-X Driver 2.1.34.0 and Firmware 1.4.22.18 or later
  • RED Rocket Driver 2.1.23.0 and Firmware 1.1.18.0 or later
you can also check out the configuration guide on their support page but basically you're going to need something much beefier GPU and RAM wise in order to really use Resolve

OP
OP
LhommeCornichon
Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Hate to say it because I spent so much on it, but I hated my surface book experience as a post-production guy. Too many moving parts, too "cleverly" designed to be dependable as an edit machine. (Sorry to vent. That laptop scarred me lol)

What are you using nowadays ?

My understanding is Resolve is a pretty GPU reliant piece of software but i was checking the minimum specs for 15 and it says 16GB, for fusion it recommends 32 GB so that could also be part of the problem.

you can also check out the configuration guide on their support page but basically you're going to need something much beefier GPU and RAM wise in order to really use Resolve

Yep I checked. I thought I would be fine with light editing. It's so strange that everything CPU related works so smoothly even with an i5 and 8go Ram but when I'm rendering a fade in title for three seconds it's a nightmare. I updated the Intel Graphic cards pilotes and it stopped crashing but now it takes ages to render the most simple task.

I'm torn because I hate editing solutions as VSDC, Magix, Vegas, and I'm enjoying my experience with my Surface Book. It seems that an eGPU solution is off the table, even if I did upgrade to a SB2 (it doesn't support thunderbolt 3) and a Surface Book 2 with a dGPU is a lot of money. Damn.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
it's probably fine if you're working offline or with proxies but not for delivery if that makes sense. I personally haven't used resolve 15, or any version of resolve for editing. I think i'm still on 13 or 14 at home, and I just use it for color work. I've heard good things about editing in resolve but those impressions are from people using more expensive hardware.

OP
OP
LhommeCornichon
Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
it's probably fine if you're working offline or with proxies but not for delivery if that makes sense. I personally haven't used resolve 15, or any version of resolve for editing. I think i'm still on 13 or 14 at home, and I just use it for color work. I've heard good things about editing in resolve but those impressions are from people using more expensive hardware.

You lost me, I don't get that sentence :)

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
You lost me, I don't get that sentence :)
so offline editing is editing without the source media, usually with proxy files that are lower resolution so not as resource intensive. some cameras automatically create proxy files. other times you would create proxy files if your original media is RAW or just super hi-res. for instance the camera I have can shoot in a RAW format where every single frame is 5MB so 1 minute of video at 24fps is over 7GB. way too big to work with for most systems.

Delivery is final file output, it's usually it's own page in Resolve.

OP
OP
LhommeCornichon
Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I'm on the fence on upgrading my Surface Book to a model with GPU.

Found a SB2, a used one, at 1600€ with a i7 proc, 512Gb SSD, 16Gb ram and a GTX 1050.
There's a way cheaper one with a GTX 965m and Gen 1 SB.

Still don't know if it's worthy.

On a side note something weird happened. Doing renders takes forever running across the timeline in resolve, but to gain some time I can do an export and go back to my project on Resolve and everything is rendered and works fine.

so offline editing is editing without the source media, usually with proxy files that are lower resolution so not as resource intensive. some cameras automatically create proxy files. other times you would create proxy files if your original media is RAW or just super hi-res. for instance the camera I have can shoot in a RAW format where every single frame is 5MB so 1 minute of video at 24fps is over 7GB. way too big to work with for most systems.

Delivery is final file output, it's usually it's own page in Resolve.

Ok I get it. At least I'm working with "light" files.

Boring answer, but I moved back to a MacBook Pro as my main edit laptop.

What spec is your machine ?