Status
Not open for further replies.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Edmond Tran did an anonymous interview with Devs on whether its worth bothering with Xbox and even consoles outside Switch even. Also talks about ps plus and such.

Disclaimer: Edmond posted this in the Patreon of Reviewer who cannot be posted here but Edmond has over a decade of experience in the game industry at gamespot and other sites before being hired by the YouTuber so i believe this article should still have some value irregardless of his current employment. I will not be linking directly to the Patreon for obvious reasons. I found this article quite interesting so i hope you give it a chance.

Do game developers still want to publish on Xbox?
May 13
Once upon a time, Xbox consoles were leading the charge. They had first-party games that were cultural events in themelves. The online multiplayer community was unparalleled. And Xbox Live Arcade pioneered digital distribution, giving a platform to groundbreaking titles from small, independent studios.
That's not quite the case anymore. Exciting exclusive games are few and far between. Other platforms have caught up on the online front. And while Xbox consoles still see dozens of new independent games published each week through its ID@XBox program, it no longer seems to be the must-be destination for developers it once was.
From the outside, bits and pieces in the news have raised questions – like a planned multiplatform release dropping Xbox support, in tandem with Xbox's declining console hardware sales. And what of Microsoft's new focus on both Xbox consoles and Windows PC, which has now expanded into the beginnings of a multiplatform publishing strategy?
1.jpg

Xbox's direction is undergoing a clear change, and as much as the company tries to divert our attention with new controller skins and odd marketing partnerships, it's difficult to ignore the feeling that the console's "X-Factor" – that which might push someone to jump into ecosystem – no longer exists. That much feels obvious from the outside – aside from the value proposition of Xbox Game Pass, what advantages do you get by owning an Xbox console over a rival platform? What advantages do you get by owning an Xbox console if you have a Windows PC?
And if you're a game developer, why would you work to bring your game to Xbox, especially if you already have a PC release?
We were curious to see whether these same quandaries existed on the other side of the coin, leading us to survey a dozen game developers to get their perspectives on the current state of the Xbox, and how viable they saw it as a potential platform for their work to live.
We spoke to individual gamemakers from around the world, all of whom had published games on Xbox consoles in recent years, and had new titles in development. They ranged from solo developers to mid-sized independent studios, though all requested anonymity in order to speak more freely on the subject. Some rescinded comments about the platform following the news of Microsoft's closure of Arkane Austin, Tango Gameworks, and Alpha Dog Studios.
The overall takeaway was this: Though the perceived value of porting games to Xbox consoles differed, depending on the size of the studio and types of games a developer was making, one thing thing was clear: Developers are seeing very few people buy their games on Xbox consoles, that's largely to blame because of a behavioral shift that Xbox Game Pass has caused, and it's created a vicious cycle.
"Our Xbox sales have been the weakest, without a doubt," said the developer of a much-celebrated, award-winning title which was ported to the Xbox more than two years ago, after initially releasing on other platforms. "With the exception of our Game Pass revenue, the games have sold less than 5% compared to our other titles."
This was a universal experience, with all the developers we spoke to sharing similar breakdowns or alluding to similar statistics anecdotally. Xbox sales always came in last, and the overwhelming frontrunners for sales in all cases were PC and/or Nintendo Switch.
"You just aren't going to sell the same units as you would elsewhere," said one developer, who led a studio responsible for multiple titles that had achieved commercial and critical success. "It's a bit like trying to sell a DVD to someone who uses Netflix. Sure, people still do that from time to time but you're not targeting the right audience."
The next natural question: if Xbox console sales almost always tracked last for the developers we spoke to, was it even worth the time, money and effort to bring them over?
1.jpg

The responses varied, depending on the type of games developers were working on. For small teams working on less technically demanding games (relatively speaking), porting wasn't typically a big blocker. "The difficulty of making games for Xbox is low on the list of reasons why anyone should consider the platform," reasoned one developer, who had shipped both 2D and 3D titles, "especially in a world where the Switch or Steam Deck is going to be your optimization target."
For others, seemingly those behind games with more complex 3D designs, multiplayer components, and online infrastructure, the issue was far bigger. "If you need to spend USD $20,000 out of pocket to port and get on a platform, you have to hope to make more than that to just break even – and that's not even factoring in time."
Another developer framed the task of a port this way: "When we shipped [on Xbox], there were five different hardware profiles to consider. Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and Windows PC. I don't think it's healthy for small indie game developers to do the juggling act of porting to five different platforms, when doing a multiplatform port is something a AAA studio will invest millions of dollars into doing. You must really consider that you are doing a job which usually has an entire division allocated to."
And we know that even for well-resourced studios, this kind of work can be taxing. The Xbox Series S is commonly believed to be a pain point when it comes to porting a game for the Xbox platform, requiring significant tinkering to run smoothly on the less powerful console. Even Larian Studios was delayed in getting Baldur's Gate 3's Xbox release out the door, seemingly because of this issue.
Something that was surprising in the discussions concerning effort versus value, however, was that some developers flagged the same concerns with PlayStation. After all, though it consistently ranked above Xbox in finding sales and players for games, it still trailed significantly behind PC and Switch.
"It makes little sense these days to ship on all platforms," said one developer. "It's better to just move to them afterward, when you get some incentive to do so."
Those incentives, it seems, are key.
1.jpg

A few of the developers we spoke to said that in the past, they had been the recipients of funds specifically allocated to assist in porting projects, but programs like these had all but dried up. Now, all eyes were squarely focused on Xbox Game Pass deals – which were also not as lucrative as they were just a few years ago, but still enough to consider putting the work in for.
One developer, who had received funding numerous times from Microsoft through Game Pass and Games With Gold deals, said, "It's not integral in the decision, but it's a massive help. It means we can be less stressed over whether we'll make our money back."
Another developer, who had also benefited from multiple Game Pass deals, echoed the sentiment: "As an indie, you have to weigh up every tiny expenditure against its potential impact on your vision, but knowing your minimum gains a year on from launch in advance makes that a lot less stressful."
A mid-sized developer was eager to caution other developers, however. "If [you don't have] a big game, and they know how much money you currently earn on the platform, they can really give you a lowball offer, saying, 'Well, this is 18-24 months of your current revenue upfront.'"
But beyond development funding and financial compensation, the common sentiment was that simply having your game be part of the Xbox Game Pass subscription service was the best incentive to bring your game to Xbox at all, because of the better potential audience.
"It's really not worth shipping on Xbox unless you get a Game Pass deal, because that is where the majority of the players seem to be," said one developer from a small studio.
"Xbox is a platform which we won't say no to if the price is right. But there is an expectation that we will only even consider this platform if Game Pass is on the table," said another.
"If you ship on Xbox without Game Pass, you miss out on the majority of the player base (who are only playing on Game Pass) from playing your game," said one solo developer. "Think it like when multiplayer games get DLC maps, and split the userbase."
And therein lies one of the biggest effects of Xbox's big subscription service push – creating an aversion to actually buying games on Xbox, which leads to less returns for developers, which discourages them from being on the platform.
Some developers also pointed to the deals regarding the PlayStation Plus Catalog or Free Essential Games as having a similar effect. "If you can't get one of those deals, and you don't have the resources or team scale to do all platforms, I can understand prioritizing other platforms," said a mid-sized developer. "That's what I would do."
1.jpg

"I feel like consoles in general are just becoming less relevant to indies," said one studio. "If you have a mega hit, then no matter what you do, you're set. But I'd be very worried about being able to recoup even USD $50,000 on the consoles with a small title, especially with porting costs.
Today, it's all about Steam and Nintendo Switch, and that's despite a common sentiment that when it actually came to the administrative side of publishing games, Xbox was by far the easiest platform to deal with, thanks to the ID@Xbox program.
"Historically I'd have said Microsoft were more difficult to work with for publishing, with a rough start to self publishing in the Xbox One era, but they've made huge improvements over the last decade," said one developer. "Generally I think they're in a pretty healthy place now with their tools and process and requirements," said another.
But short of uprooting Xbox Game Pass, how can the platform improve for developers who don't have the advantage of a AAA publisher behind them? Proposed solutions were varied, but all came down to one thing: better discoverability and incentives for people to play outside of Game Pass.
"Even without [Game Pass], we're still talking about reaching millions of players who've already invested in a gaming device and are actively looking for games to play," reasoned one developer. "I feel discovery and methods of reaching your audience feel stronger on Switch and Steam, as do the focus points of their themed events."
This developer pointed to the experience of stumbling across a game on Steam you may have never heard of, and discovering that it has hundreds of thousands of players and reviews.
"These are games that never had a platform deal with Valve, and just found their audience anyway. It feels like that doesn't really happen much on Xbox and I think it would benefit the platform to think about why that is."
1.jpg

Another developer reminisced about the days of the Xbox 360 and the conditions that fostered the indie boom in the mid-2000s. "I really miss the days of Xbox Live Arcade, where there'd be five games showcased, and if you bought four of them, you'd get the fifth free. They really made it feel like an event."
In the grand scheme of things however, for some of these small-to-mid-sized developers, many of whom have achieved consistent success to date, the declining viability of publishing games on Xbox and PlayStation were just a small part of the greater problems looming in the gamemaking and publishing space.
"The bigger issue is that everyone is playing the evergreen games like Call of Duty, Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, etc. Each one is soaking up a small percentage of players who never venture further out," said one developer.
Others were more hopeful and optimistic. Said another: "As long as there are players to reach and deals that offer benefits, I try not to worry too much about what's looming over the horizon."
And ultimately – as exemplified by some of 2024's biggest hits that seemingly came from nowhere – it's often those untroubled and unaffected attitudes that foster those great ideas for unique games that keep the medium so exciting, even when we think it can't get any better.
Maybe we'll even be able to play some of those games on consoles one day. Maybe.
Words by Edmond Tran. Quotes have been lightly edited for clarity and to preserve anonymity.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Copying and pasting articles wholesale, and without linking to the source, is a pretty big no-no here, isn't it?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Something that was surprising in the discussions concerning effort versus value, however, was that some developers flagged the same concerns with PlayStation. After all, though it consistently ranked above Xbox in finding sales and players for games, it still trailed significantly behind PC and Switch.
I think this is a key callout as well. This shows how big the market has grown for switch and PC.

Dec 11, 2017
"It makes little sense these days to ship on all platforms," said one developer. "It's better to just move to them afterward, when you get some incentive to do so."
I'm a little surprised by this, but maybe I shouldn't be because PlayStation Plus has similarities to Game Pass.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
the thread would get locked and its a free patreon article
Free or not, copying someone's article without linking to the source is kind of a low blow. It was on Patreon for a reason-- so that people would read it there, and then maybe decide to support him afterwards.

If Patreon links aren't allowed here (is that even an actual rule?) then I don't think his article should have been shared to begin with.

I feel really weird about wholesale stealing someone's work like this.
Agreed.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Not surprised, pretty much confirms Steam and Switch are the places to prioritize for independent devs. Indie hits may skip PS or Xbox but they hardly ever skip either of the former unless there are hardware limitations (for NS).

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
I had nothing but wonderful experiences with ID@Xbox from my indie days, they've always been the easiest and best to work with, but I can see why, without the monetary incentive upfront most of us got back then, many would hesitate to spend resources on it now unless Gamepass was guaranteed

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Free or not, copying someone's article without linking to the source is kind of a low blow. It was on Patreon for a reason-- so that people would read it there, and then maybe decide to support him afterwards.

If Patreon links aren't allowed here (is that even an actual rule?) then I don't think his article should have been shared to begin with.

Agreed.
Reading the OP it seems like it's the specific individuals Patreon that is a banned source, rather than Patreon itself, so linking to it would cause the topic to be locked anyway? That's what I gathered at least

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the OP it seems like it's the specific individuals Patreon that is a banned source, rather than Patreon itself, so linking to it would cause the topic to be locked anyway? That's what I gathered at least
If the specific Patreon in question is banned, then wouldn't this article have been banned in turn, whether the source was linked or not? This thread probably shouldn't have been made then...

OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
basically tho more specifically the youtuber in general is banned here and the article was posted in the patreon of youtuber who edmond was hired by recently patreon as a free article

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
If the specific Patreon in question is banned, then wouldn't this article have been banned in turn, whether the source was linked or not? This thread probably shouldn't have been made then...
Yeah it's what I gathered ⬇️
No idea on the ruling of it though you'd have to take that up with a mod
basically tho more specifically the youtuber in general is banned here and the article was posted in the patreon of youtuber who edmond was hired by recently patreon as a free article
As I thought thanks for clearing that up!

OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
if you want to lock the thread thats fine but its an interesting article that i thought some would want to read

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
if you want to lock the thread thats fine but its an interesting article that i thought some would want to read

It certainly is and at least in some more sensitive threads we've started to censor links from racist websites to avoid giving them traffic while posting whatever relevant info they might have shared.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
As expected, Gamepass has trained much of the audience on Xbox to just not buy games anymore.
And as I predicted, Xbox's insistence on their not-really universal platform has made things more difficult for developers. Can't wait to see them try to convince developers without the resources to make versions for console, PC, and both existing mobile platforms, that all have to be as close to complete parity as possible.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
I never really thought about "splitting the userbase" before, but it makes sense. If you're conditioned to play games for free, then you'll be less likely to go outside of that bubble and pay for games.

Interesting that it mentions both PS Plus (games catalogue) and Gamepass having the same effect of segregating the audiences into buyers and non-buyers. Thanks to these services I can play a lot more games than I would otherwise, but at the same time I don't feel the need to go out and buy as many games on the platform.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
These are games that never had a platform deal with Valve, and just found their audience anyway. It feels like that doesn't really happen much on Xbox and I think it would benefit the platform to think about why that is."

For me I don't have a tremendous amount of game time these days so I don't want to spend that time trawling through things I could buy.

If the game is on the front page or I'd heard of it through forums or twitter I'll go take a look.

I'd say Xbox, PS and Steam have hit the Netflix problem too much stuff to play and not enough time so you aimlessly search for half an hour before just watching a repeat of something you've already seen or in this case are already playing.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a key callout as well. This shows how big the market has grown for switch and PC.

Imagine showing these kind of numbers to someone back in the 360 days when it was on top and developers straight up skipped pc because it was dying. The Bounce back PC gaming had from those days people thought it was dying to now is pretty incredible.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
A mid-sized developer was eager to caution other developers, however. "If [you don't have] a big game, and they know how much money you currently earn on the platform, they can really give you a lowball offer, saying, 'Well, this is 18-24 months of your current revenue upfront.'"
just noticed that animal well is not currently on xbox... maybe they wanted to be able to point to strong sales on other platforms to be able to negotiate a better gamepass deal.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
just noticed that animal well is not currently on xbox... maybe they wanted to be able to point to strong sales on other platforms to be able to negotiate a better gamepass deal.
Probably a lot of games do that, but often with indies it's a matter of scheduling, they just have to focus on a few platforms first and then make more ports later. Maybe they would also have skipped PS if there hadn't been a PS+ deal, and maybe said PS+ deal prevented an Xbox (with or without Game Pass) port from happening immediately.

I would be curious to know if the Game Pass word of mouth effect still happens. Do games see an uptick in sales on other platforms once they enter Game Pass, even if the direct Xbox sales are low? If so that's still a pretty good deal for devs, but what does MS get out of it?

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Probably a lot of games do that, but often with indies it's a matter of scheduling, they just have to focus on a few platforms first and then make more ports later. Maybe they would also have skipped PS if there hadn't been a PS+ deal, and maybe said PS+ deal prevented an Xbox (with or without Game Pass) port from happening immediately.

I would be curious to know if the Game Pass word of mouth effect still happens. Do games see an uptick in sales on other platforms once they enter Game Pass, even if the direct Xbox sales are low? If so that's still a pretty good deal for devs, but what does MS get out of it?
Ah, didn't notice it had a ps+ deal. Actually it's vice versa for little kitty big city (on gamepass and not playstation).
I guess that's the indie meta: you release on steam and switch, and then you play xbox and playstation up against each other for a subscription deal.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I'd imagine launching on the PS Plus service has some sort of limited exclusivity going for it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That talk about PC and Steam…Xbox and PS are such a weird spot rn.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Interesting to see how much weight is given to Game Pass given that only like 25 million people subscribe to it. Compared to 60 million Xbox One sales and 25+ million Series sales, I wonder if that means the large majority who don't have Game Pass are also the ones stuck in black hole games? Makes sense I guess.

Also interesting that we are seeing all this negativity when third party support on Xbox has really never been better in a lot of ways. Tons of indie launch exclusives, much better Japanese support. Maybe it'll show up in droughts down the road? Or maybe there's so many games these days that missing out on 50% of them or whatever is hardly even noticeable when you still get the quality titles that get press coverage?

Idk just thinking out loud.

T0kenAussie

Banned
Jan 15, 2020
This is a good article but I kind of hate the headline? It seems that yes there is a perceived problem on Xbox for discovery and sales generation but this also seems to be an issue on PlayStation aswell when you read the text?

But this shouldn't be so much of a surprise when the sales by segment tracking shows that PC is now the lead high end platform for revenue generation at 50% above console. Switch is having a great time of its own accord but hardware limitations have hampered the big box studios from truly supporting it day and date which is its own problem but it seems AA and indie chugs along nicely there, will be interesting to see if that meta continues for switch 2

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
This is a good article but I kind of hate the headline? It seems that yes there is a perceived problem on Xbox for discovery and sales generation but this also seems to be an issue on PlayStation aswell when you read the text?

But this shouldn't be so much of a surprise when the sales by segment tracking shows that PC is now the lead high end platform for revenue generation at 50% above console. Switch is having a great time of its own accord but hardware limitations have hampered the big box studios from truly supporting it day and date which is its own problem but it seems AA and indie chugs along nicely there, will be interesting to see if that meta continues for switch 2

Agree but the headline is such because the "study" was intended to center on Xbox despite showing a somewhat similar situation on PS, so the latter is more of a side-finding if anything. Doesn't seem done in bad faith to me although it will certainly be used for console warring.

Only against Xbox? It's on Switch.

It would be way more expensive to pay for an indie dev to sacrifice potentially 20-40% of their expected sales as opposed to 5%.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
We do not allow people to copy whole articles and not link to other people's work. This is being locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.