Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Didn't it say 2023 for Kuro?
Kuro releases in Japan this year, there's no western release announced yet and it won't be for 3 years at this rate.
the only gatekeeping is to make sure all platforms release at the same time. there's no way three major kiseki games hit in roughly a year of each other if they weren't being worked on all at once.

depending on the original platforms and development timeline, i'd expect kuro in 2024 and as long as it's not a ridiculously complex script, something like ys x to come out in 2023 or 2024 as well.

Why do they need to release at the same time, though? If the PS4 localization work is done and the game is ready to be released why make people wait? They haven't had any problems doing this up until now and all it does is annoy people who were never planning to play the game on Switch/PC in the first place.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the only gatekeeping is to make sure all platforms release at the same time. there's no way three major kiseki games hit in roughly a year of each other if they weren't being worked on all at once.

depending on the original platforms and development timeline, i'd expect kuro in 2024 and as long as it's not a ridiculously complex script, something like ys x to come out in 2023 or 2024 as well.

I was being facetious.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
That said, it's kind of ironic people said "oh NISA is going to release the games so much faster" while XSEED dropped four Trails games in the span of like 3 calendar years, and now NISA is leaving a huge gap in releases.
They're going to release 3 Trails games + Nayuta in the span of a single year. Sure, there's a big gap to get there (simliar to the one from FC to SC), but it's not like they're not putting the work here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I was being facetious.

i think there are people who genuinely share the belief that the reason hajimari isn't happening any faster is solely due to crossbell. crossbell probably pushes things back a bit, sure, but the more likely culprits are games like monark and disgaea 6 (talking only localization resources).

to be clear - this is not to say those specific games are the reason why, but rather that there are a lot more games than just falcom-brand games that nisa works on. if nisa was actually falcom international, then i'm guessing it's possible to see hajimari earlier.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
They can't kill what the Erebonia Arc already killed

I thought CS3 was the highest grossing game in the West?

i think there are people who genuinely share the belief that the reason hajimari isn't happening any faster is solely due to crossbell. crossbell probably pushes things back a bit, sure, but the more likely culprits are games like monark and disgaea 6 (talking only localization resources).

Yup. Even in a world where NISA goes all in on the Trails games, there's a pileup. Doing other games, including two of their own text heavy games (Galleria...) makes the pipeline ever more jammed.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
i think there are people who genuinely share the belief that the reason hajimari isn't happening any faster is solely due to crossbell. crossbell probably pushes things back a bit, sure, but the more likely culprits are games like monark and disgaea 6.

And the whole 2020 thing + having a huge plate of releases as-is, probably also have something to do with it.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
No one believes that it's solely Crossbell, but Crossbell definitely has an affect on Hajimari. Which is why I wished Hajimari was the priority over Crossbell.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kuro releases in Japan this year, there's no western release announced yet and it won't be for 3 years at this rate.

Why do they need to release at the same time, though? If the PS4 localization work is done and the game is ready to be released why make people wait? They haven't had any problems doing this up until now and all it does is annoy people who were never planning to play the game on Switch/PC in the first place.

I imagine because the PS4 share has been shrinking, and is only going to get smaller in the next year or two, and a staggered releases means staggered marketing which is going to be more expensive and less effective.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Well, this fucking sucks. This was my biggest fear with Crossbell games localizations. Yeah, they're amazing games but why do you even care now Falcom, after Cold Steel 3 and 4.

Now we have to wait for fucking 2023 to play Hajimari and god knows how many years for Kuro. Nice way to kill the momentum. Can't wait to have all the Calvard arc spoiled and get the first game in the West when Japan is already done with it, lmao.

Yeah, i'm super mad. Fuck.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly from what I hear, Hajimari has been considered one of the best games in the series by those who've played it, while Cold Steel was...Cold Steel.
tenor.gif

:P

This gif might also apply to how NISA's localizers feel.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I imagine because the PS4 share has been shrinking, and is only going to get smaller in the next year or two, and a staggered releases means staggered marketing which is going to be more expensive and less effective.
Yeah but a lot of those PS4 owners already have or will be upgrading to PS5, and you can play the game on there with no problems.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this fucking sucks. This was my biggest fear with Crossbell games localizations. Yeah, they're amazing games but why do you even care now Falcom, after Cold Steel 3 and 4.

Now we have to wait for fucking 2023 and god knows how many years for Kuro. Nice way to kill the momentum. Can't wait to have all the Calvard arc spoiled and get the first game in the West when Japan is already done with it, lmao.

Yeah, i'm super mad. Fuck.

Mad about some beloved games finally getting official releases? This really isn't worth anger.

Crag

Oct 25, 2017
This is great, finally have motivation to play the sky and the rest of cold steel games if the rest are being localized. And it's great that I have until 2023 to catch up, probably wouldn't bother if reverie came sooner

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but a lot of those PS4 owners already have or will be upgrading to PS5, and you can play the game on there with no problems.

how long will retailers stock ps4 games? how long will sony push ps4 content? that's another wrinkle that makes the current method of playstation-first really difficult. if a ps5 version was on the way, it probably would be prioritized in advance of anything else. it's possible that it might even go that way for whatever kuro 2 or ys x or whatever is if falcom's on a ps4/ps5 bend and they're not doing switch versions by themselves at that point.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Mad about some beloved games finally getting official releases? This really isn't worth anger.
That's clearly not what he's disappointed about. It's great that the games are getting official releases for those who didn't play the Geofront releases, but it's unfortunate since we'll be significantly behind again. Kuro comes out this year and it'll be about 6 more years until we're finally able to play it. By then the Calvard arc will be well on it's way out if Falcom has a better handle on pacing this time around. I was expecting to keep the pace of us only being at most 2 games behind.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
how long will retailers stock ps4 games? how long will sony push ps4 content? that's another wrinkle that makes the current method of playstation-first really difficult. if a ps5 version was on the way, it probably would be prioritized in advance of anything else. it's possible that it might even go that way for whatever kuro 2 or ys x or whatever is if falcom's on a ps4/ps5 bend and they're not doing switch versions by themselves at that point.
I can't see there being that much of an issue with PS4 releases for the next couple years given how hard it is for most people to get a PS5 still, and with the chip shortages it's likely to continue well into 2022. Sony themselves are still releasing their big games like Horizon, GT7 and God of War on PS4 even. This is a very different situation than the PS3 -> PS4 transition was.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
That's clearly not what he's disappointed about. It's great that the games are getting official releases for those who didn't play the Geofront releases, but it's unfortunate since we'll be significantly behind again. Kuro comes out this year and it'll be about 6 more years until we're finally able to play it. By then the Calvard arc will be well on it's way out if Falcom has a better handle on pacing this time around. I was expecting to keep the pace of us only being at most 2 games behind.
Wait, why 6 more years?

Kuro releases this year, they will have access to the localization what, 3,4,5 months later? It should release in 2024 barring any issues.

Oct 25, 2017

Why exaggerate? You are literally just doubling the expected time to make a point. 2021->2014 is 3 years.

We were never "at most 2 games behind". Most of the time we've been in the 3 or 4 range, and the fan localizations are the only time it has ever dipped below that.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited for them! Good to have confirmation at least.

Hajimari in 2023 is an...interesting choice though.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see there being that much of an issue with PS4 releases for the next couple years given how hard it is for most people to get a PS5 still, and with the chip shortages it's likely to continue well into 2022. Sony themselves are still releasing their big games like Horizon, GT7 and God of War on PS4 even. This is a very different situation than the PS3 -> PS4 transition was.

Those games are being promoted as PS5 games though, and going by Horizon look like PS5 games. Even Kuro doesn't have a native PS5 version and is still a relatively low end looking PS4 game.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

What makes you think that NISA will wait until Hajimari's release to start work on Kuro? Back in 2015, XSeed released Sky SC and then Cold Steel 1 a month or so later. Since Cold Steel 1 was the start of a new arc, they could afford to put another team on it while the first team worked on SC without too much risk of conflicting writing/editing styles. It's very likely NISA will have an independent team start work on Kuro before Hajimari's released and it's not gonna be 6 years.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

it's possible i guess to peel off all the ps4 releases and just have them come out first, and also do all the marketing again for all the other games. but that's based on the off-chance that ps4 software is still doing well in 2022 and beyond when it should be in decline by then regardless of ps5 shortages or what have you. and as long as falcom is only making ps4 games... that strategy gets weaker and weaker. 2023 for kuro and 'ys x'? still possible, but far from ideal. 2024 for kuro 2? it really better have a ps5 sku at least.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
it's possible i guess to peel off all the ps4 releases and just have them come out first, and also do all the marketing again for all the other games. but that's based on the off-chance that ps4 software is still doing well in 2022 and beyond when it should be in decline by then regardless of ps5 shortages or what have you. and as long as falcom is only making ps4 games... that strategy gets weaker and weaker. 2023 for kuro and 'ys x'? still possible, but far from ideal. 2024 for kuro 2? it really better have a ps5 sku at least.
I think PS4 software probably will be in decline as time goes on, surely, but the games themselves can still be played on PS5 and it's not like Falcom even makes games that would take advantage of the extra power of the hardware. Their games already run at ~4k 60FPS on PS4 Pro and while Kuro looks a bit better I doubt they have the capability to make a PS5 version that would be much better looking for the eventual sequel.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why 6 more years?

Kuro releases this year, they will have access to the localization what, 3,4,5 months later? It should release in 2024 barring any issues.
What makes you think that NISA will wait until Hajimari's release to start work on Kuro? Back in 2015, XSeed released Sky SC and then Cold Steel 1 a month or so later. Since Cold Steel 1 was the start of a new arc, they could afford to put another team on it while the first team worked on SC without too much risk of conflicting writing/editing styles. It's very likely NISA will have an independent team start work on Kuro before Hajimari's released and it's not gonna be 6 years.
That's true. I at least expected it about a year after Hajimari, but I'm just caught up in my disappointment, that's way more reasonable. I didn't know that SC and CS1 released that close together.

RedNine

Sep 7, 2020
Considering that Zero/Ao already have fan translations and Hajimari is a game where literally nothing important happens and all the foreshadow for Kuro could be translated and included in a promotional website or something, it feels like the better decision would be to try to get Kuro (and its sequel) released as soon as possible to keep the Kiseki momentum going with the fanbase that plays these games in English.

I can definitely understand why some fans are disappointed that Kuro is probably going to take at least 3 more years to be released in English, as this was the perfect opportunity to finally get faster releases.

Nayuta getting an English release is cool though.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
2023 is a long way for Hajimari, but to get the Crossbell games in the pipeline it either this or get someone else to do Zero/Azure. Gonna suck when they're announced as Epic exclusives...

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Personally, I'm excited. Like, the wait until 2023 isn't the greatest, but I'm patient and don't mind too much.

And if these ports get a Switch/PS4 release as well, I'll buy them. I honestly really dislike playing games on my PC, and while I'll download the Geofront Azure port just in case, I'll probably revisit that game on a console if I can.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm looking forward to Trails of Nayuta, but I do hope they fix a bunch of the collision issues in that game. It's kind of annoying to put up with every time I go back to play the game on PSP.

Papo

May 7, 2020
Omg! 2023 for Haji means I can comfortably take my time with the series. I'm almost halfway through Azure now, taking my time talking to all npc's and just enjoying the saga.

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
Oohh nicee I've already been playing the asian version of zero and would be nice to have them all in english too!

I'm so sure these are also coming to switch, they already did the port in asia, would be absolutely stupid not to.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Nayuta is a fun game but it's not really a Trails game other than for marketing purposes. I liked it when I played it years ago but most of the Ys games (and Tokyo Xanadu) are better as far as Falcom ARPGs go.

Honestly that's why I'm interested in it the most lol. Any falcon ARPG is still better than most. I gave the original a shot on an emulator a while back but didn't get too far, interested in seeing the rest.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019

Did I say I'm mad about Zero/Ao getting official releases? Hell, those are the best Kiseki games in my opinion.

But I have the right to be pretty annoyed about waiting 2 years for Hajimari. Idk about you, but two whole years it's a hell of a long time for me. And lets not talk about Kuro, it doesn't feel nice at all to see PVs for a game releasing this year in JP and thinking how I might have the chance to play it at best in 4-5 years.

It feels like I'm being punished for the bad decisions Falcom had made in the past, when you would think now was the best chance to try to catch up to Japan and not the total opposite.

This is why I always say that being a Western Trails fan is suffering, always exposed to be spoiled in the Internet in such heavy-story driven games.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

What system stuff lands on is really interesting, and I think people underestimate how suddenly things can shift and why publishers are cagey about pushing the timeline.

Atlus got totally pantsed by the sudden transition from 3DS to Switch and basically still hasn't recovered. Vita went belly up and basically removed from store shelves long before some smaller developers and publishers gave up on it. Hell, even the Trails series itself had to have a PSP version cancelled because it took too long. There's stuff like the Pixel Remasters that, if console versions are coming (they probably are), Square wants to avoid having to do separate resolutions on Switch and would rather wait for something that does 1080p in either mode.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
This was such fantastic news to wake up to today! Sure, it's a bummer I won't be playing Hajimari for a few more years, but I'm also very happy to see the Crossbell duology get an official localization announcement. I've played them and they're amazing. And Nayuta is coming, too??? Now that one IS a surprise. I'll be picking up all 4 once they release.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine for a lot of people's disappointment, it doesn't help that a number of people seemed hopeful for later this year for Hajimari and fall next year at the latest.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Why exaggerate? You are literally just doubling the expected time to make a point. 2021->2014 is 3 years.

We were never "at most 2 games behind". Most of the time we've been in the 3 or 4 range, and the fan localizations are the only time it has ever dipped below that.
That's what I meant? This is the closest gap we've had between games, instead of like you said the 3-4 range. It felt refreshing compared to what we're used to. It's unfortunate since there might be a bigger gap if Kuro's sequels are a year apart.