• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I've been playing a bit on Xbox cloud on my steam deck and unless I'm losing my mind it's been a far superior experience compared to the Switch port. Based on the latest comments from R&B, I don't think a significant performance update is coming anytime soon for Nintendo, if at all. I hope they prove me wrong!

I mean they originally when the KS first was announced they were targeting the Next Gen Nintendo device rather than the Switch. The PC version was the source development platform with ports for rest.

While a better performing Switch port would have been ideal, I guess this was one of those case despite the game being 2D Sprite based, it's doing a bit more mechanically under the hood that is giving the Switch issues hit an adequate performance target. Same issues seemed to arise with the Bloodstained: RoTN port too which much like Eiyuden was a late addition to include the Switch.

Although considering stuff like Octopath Traveller II and Unicorn Overlord existing and having decent Switch performance, I don't see why their can't be some performance improvements for Eiyuden. It may just come down to the fact that Unity isn't that easy to optimize compared to Unreal Engine projects. On Switch at least.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I just beat it and was about to come and post something very similar. You took the words right out of my mouth. My biggest complaint:

All of the mysteries go unsolved/unaddressed, even stuff from eiyuden rising. They gave us a basic war story with bad writing and a bad villain and we what...wait another 4-5 years for a follow up to address the other stuff? Not what I pictured when I backed this game. The game is mid honestly, I don't think there's going to be a sequel.
Oof.. Guess I'm dropping this for good. I'm already pushing myself to play the game, but the writing, pacing, and recruitment have been meh so far. A great story with emotional moments is all I need, but hearing this just shatters all my hope for this game. I just want to go back playing my favorite games.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to get Hogan (the lizard trader guy) fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks😩😩😩😩
So the best way to get him is to buy all of the trade goods before you talk to him and get the quest. Then when you sale it's all considered profit. If you talk to him first and then buy the trade goods it takes the costs of them into the equation.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't want to start another game, but I couldn't help myself. Only played for an hour, but it's scratching every itch so far!

Mar 8, 2024
Is there any good resource for how the heck the auto battle behavior-setting works? I have idea how the priority skills work or even what a bunch of the conditions mean.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
24 hours in, and I'm having a blast. I managed to successfully recruit the bugged character, so that's one less stress on my mind.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's been discussed already, but I gotta give props to Rabbit & Bear for the sheer amount of excellent sprite work in this. I always appreciate it when they don't just mirror sprites as a shortcut to create 4 or 8-way character movement, and the vast amount of different animations, big/small portraits, combat specials, poses/expressions, etc. per character (on top of all the monsters) kinda blows my mind. I hope they make a follow-up with the knowledge they've gained from this game.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I mean they originally when the KS first was announced they were targeting the Next Gen Nintendo device rather than the Switch. The PC version was the source development platform with ports for rest.

While a better performing Switch port would have been ideal, I guess this was one of those case despite the game being 2D Sprite based, it's doing a bit more mechanically under the hood that is giving the Switch issues hit an adequate performance target. Same issues seemed to arise with the Bloodstained: RoTN port too which much like Eiyuden was a late addition to include the Switch.

Although considering stuff like Octopath Traveller II and Unicorn Overlord existing and having decent Switch performance, I don't see why their can't be some performance improvements for Eiyuden. It may just come down to the fact that Unity isn't that easy to optimize compared to Unreal Engine projects. On Switch at least.
I'm just surprised how much better it seems to look and feel to play via cloud streaming vs natively. I totally understand the development stuff you laid out and the vast differences in hardware, but I don't understand how streaming this is a more pleasant experience.

Making games is hard and this getting any sort of release is a borderline miracle so I'll take it, but like you said Unicorn Overlord, Octopath exist and are much more performant. They're an indie joint in the end, I just hope they find a way to improve it.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Just started but kinda confused on the rows mechanic. Normally this affects either chance of getting attacked, damage, or something. But I can't figure out what the deal is here. I feel like I missed a tutorial. I have one character in my front row that can attack characters in the enemy backrow, but others can't. And mine seem to get hit just the same.

That aside, I'm enjoying it well enough so far. Shame to hear the story isn't living up for some people. I gotta get to Suikoden 1/2 one day, hoping those HD remasters stop being MIA.

Feb 16, 2022
Just started but kinda confused on the rows mechanic. Normally this affects either chance of getting attacked, damage, or something. But I can't figure out what the deal is here. I feel like I missed a tutorial. I have one character in my front row that can attack characters in the enemy backrow, but others can't. And mine seem to get hit just the same.

That aside, I'm enjoying it well enough so far. Shame to hear the story isn't living up for some people. I gotta get to Suikoden 1/2 one day, hoping those HD remasters stop being MIA.
Each character also has their own effective attack range(S/M/L)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Athleon

Oct 28, 2017
Is it explained anywhere what dexterity, agility and luck actually do? Move order is agility obviously, crit chance is based on luck from what I can tell since Lian is a crit machine.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
this game's been looking so interesting but how are the bugs/performance issues now on either PC or Xbox? I got Game Pass so I'd love to give this a shot but I saw quite a few messages over the last few days about some issues the game was having.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Can it really be worse than the race shit? I just experienced this last night and it's utterly miserable. A recruit is locked behind getting first place and that suuuucks

Controls are weird for that here. If I mess it up and end up facing in slightly the wrong direction, its like left/right swap on the controller and I make the mistake worse because the turning direction is eh? I gave up trying before I got too annoyed to want to play the game at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Controls are weird for that here. If I mess it up and end up facing in slightly the wrong direction, its like left/right swap on the controller and I make the mistake worse because the turning direction is eh? I gave up trying before I got too annoyed to want to play the game at all.

Yes, they're really weird. It's like the controls just stop working if you spin out, and there's no way to reverse and get back on track (which is maybe reasonable for a sand ship). But I found that there's plenty of time to just play carefully to win the story race and to recruit the character. I won't bother with it beyond that unless I have to.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I beat the game earlier and thought it was... fine. There are things I liked about it, but overall I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone unless you really love Suikoden and are desperate for another similar game even if it's worse than most of those. I enjoyed it more than Sea of Stars, which is not a high bar, and I only bring it up because I backed that too. Praying for Armed Fantasia/Penny Blood.

Entire game spoilers ahead:
  • I really appreciate the emphasis on resource management. It's not as much of a concern later in the game, but I used a bunch of items the whole way through and even had to dip out at the end of an early dungeon to restock.
  • The Proving Grounds was a fantastic dungeon, and others are generally pretty good. Solid assortment of dungeon gimmicks all around.
  • I wouldn't say Hard mode is hard, but it felt good enough. The AI is noticeably very mean, to the point where I was questioning whether low defense characters are even viable at one time. They are, they just need some accessory/rune/party support. I ended up running a low defense character in the front row for most of the game and she was great.
  • The HQ development grid is nice, and a huge improvement over previous games.
  • The theater is amazing. I normally don't really care about voice acting in JRPGs, but it adds so much here. Absolutely love it.
  • I actually think it's interesting in the context of other Suikoden games that Perrielle chooses Nowa as the leader of the resistance because he's a nobody. Usually the MC is the child of a war hero or royalty and are chosen by fate to bear a True Rune. They didn't really stick the landing with the story, but it's at least an interesting angle.
  • Perrielle is actually a good character, and the scene where she's laying the groundwork for the resistance as everyone knows Eltisweiss is doomed is great. Probably the best moment in the game story-wise. It's a shame what happens afterward.
  • The game consistently undermines its dramatic moments and it sucks. Your home town gets set on fire, but nobody is hurt and no apparent damage is done. Grum gets conquered, but you can go back anyway immediately. Perrielle gets cornered and Aldric lets her walk away for absolutely no reason. You can just teleport back to the imperial city where Seign parts ways with his family. It's all nonsense.
  • Because of that stuff, it takes forever for anything of actual consequence to happen. It isn't until like 40 hours into the game when Yarnaan gets overrun by undead out of nowhere that a location actually gets locked off because of the enemy's actions. It happens to another city shortly after, but the game is rushing to the end at that point, so it all gets resolved off-screen Xenogears style.
  • The shark arc is among the worst segments in any of these games. The story finally feels like it's building some momentum and starts to resemble Suikoden in Euchrisse, but it just grinds to a halt by sending you away to negotiate with the shark people who have no beef with the empire, don't even seem to know the empire, and who aren't interacting with the empire in any way. No imperial subterfuge going on, no surprise attack, nothing. It's just completely disconnected from the rest of the game, all so you can recruit goofy shark people and play a bad racing minigame.
  • Aldric is a terrible villain. The most impressive thing he does is send the empire's most competent general off to war so he can safely carry out the off-screen assassination of the emperor we know nothing about and have never seen. Everywhere else, his MO is just throwing dumb brute force and/or numbers at the problem and screaming about it when he fails. There is an okay angle they could have leaned into more with him being upset about inequality created from lens aptitude and him striving to address that through extreme measures, but that explanation is given so late and so much about lenses in general is just completely unexplained that it's hard to feel like it's genuine.
  • Despite being so prominent in the game's marketing, Marisa isn't really an important character at all.
  • The minigames suck shit. They are mandatory for character recruitment, and two have extremely long quest lines featuring the Four Kings of their respective games (plus some extra). I have plenty of other complaints about the game, but this is the #1 reason I'll never replay it. I saw Dr. Beyblade in a room in the final dungeon and immediately walked out.
  • Magic is bad on multiple levels. A lot of spells aren't affected by stats, and even the ones that are don't really feel worth the cost. The strongest spell I saw in the game hit for ~2x the damage of a normal attack, for 100 MP. It's fine on bosses, but worthless the rest of the time. The swap to MP also had a disastrous effect on advanced runes. Previously, getting a new tier of rune would shift the old spells down a level while keeping the same effect. The previous level 1 spell would be removed, but you end up with much more charges on the old level 2-4 spells, and that was sometimes more important than the big new capstone spell. Here? You remove the 2-3 lowest level spells that are reasonably affordable to cast by midgame and replace them with spells that are never really affordable. I kept the basic water rune on most characters by the end, even when the more advanced version was available to purchase. It just wasn't actually an upgrade, and it feels really bad.
Great post. Couldn't agree more with all of these points, and I've been waiting to get more specific with my own thoughts until more people had finished, but I had the exact same reaction to the Shi'arc section.

Despite the pedigree of the dev team, this really feels like an attempt to emulate Suikoden without understanding what made Suikoden great.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Great post. Couldn't agree more with all of these points, and I've been waiting to get more specific with my own thoughts until more people had finished, but I had the exact same reaction to the Shi'arc section.

Despite the pedigree of the dev team, this really feels like an attempt to emulate Suikoden without understanding what made Suikoden great.
And that's enough for me coupled with what has previously been said about the story to drop it. Limited time makes me choose more carefully these days. I applaud what they've done here, but if I don't have something of a better than average narrative compelling me through, all the other good bits won't make up for that.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto

Feels like they have no vision or ideas and just wanted to make a game for the sake of making a game. So they came up with a really basic story as an excuse to go do suikoden stuff. I don't think they even have answers to their own questions they raised in the story.

Also feels like they haven't really kept up with game development trends in the last 20 years or so. The game feels like a 90s game, I get that some of that is intentional but they kept all the awkward jank, unfun and tedious stuff that was mostly a result of limitations from the time. It's annoying.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021

And that's enough for me coupled with what has previously been said about the story to drop it. Limited time makes me choose more carefully these days. I applaud what they've done here, but if I don't have something of a better than average narrative compelling me through, all the other good bits won't make up for that.

Feels like they have no vision or ideas and just wanted to make a game for the sake of making a game. So they came up with a really basic story as an excuse to go do suikoden stuff. I don't think they even have answers to their own questions they raised in the story.

will you guys get excited and play if they ever made sequel? Im thinking if gamers will give them second chance. sad to see it like this

Mar 11, 2020
Idk i am quite enjoying the ride even if every little mystery doesn't get answered.

And i def want a sequel!

The fact it does feel like a lost ps1 game is awesome to me.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
will you guys get excited and play if they ever made sequel? Im thinking if gamers will give them second chance. sad to see it like this
I love the visuals and qol stuff that's an improvement from games of old, so it's not like they are bad at this. They just need a more compelling tale to pull me through. I'd certainly be interested in what they do next...I'd just wait on reviews to see if I'd care enough story wise.

Oct 25, 2017
the story is mad sus but i'm hooked gameplay-wise after the (early spoilers: boss around level 12) battle with
General Kogen
on hard mode

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hope we can get some confirmation of the encounter bug after new patch.

The Steam patch notes say this:

• Fixed a bug in the progression of free scenarios.
  • Adjustment of judges' evaluations in cooking competitions.
  • Other improvements and bug fixes.

No specific callout for the encounter rate bug but that might be included in the third bullet point, possibly. I can't test it myself because I don't actually know what my monitor's refresh rate is or how to change it. But my encounter rate has seemed "fine" while playing on desktop.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Im guessing I'm about 60-70% through the game at this point. I think I'll end up giving this a 8.5 or 9/10 in the end. Couldn't disagree more with Jason & co tbh. Great game with some rough edges that does manage to capture most ( not all) what made Suikoden games great.

The Steam patch notes say this:

No specific callout for the encounter rate bug but that might be included in the third bullet point, possibly. I can't test it myself because I don't actually know what my monitor's refresh rate is or how to change it. But my encounter rate has seemed "fine" while playing on desktop.
I hate vague patch notes so much. I think I'm gonna put this on the back burner and play SaGa in the meantime.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hate vague patch notes so much. I think I'm gonna put this on the back burner and play SaGa in the meantime.

Well, as someone who has done extensive QA testing on a number of games before, it's a tightrope you gotta walk. Some bugs are so minute and so specific that listing them in patch notes can sometimes be counterproductive. Better to just close them up and ensure nobody runs into them again.

We know for a fact this patch is meant to fix Lam's recruitment bug, which is the biggest issue the game is facing right now. The cooking minigame fixes are also welcome. They also might not want to write up a distinct/specific patch note list for each platform, considering some of the bugs hitting PC are unique to PC.

I do hope the encounter rate bug is cleared up for folks, though. The encounter rate has seemed fine to me since launch on both desktop and Steam Deck, so I honestly don't have a frame of reference for what other folks are experiencing. I would honestly be a bit nervous if it was much higher than it is, because some dungeons I'm doing lately have a 6-enemy encounter that can borderline wipe my entire party instantly and I would hate to run into that particular encounter more than 2-3 times in a single dungeon run.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Got the full cooking minigame 'quest line' done before the patch, thankfully.

I'm enjoying the game but was not vibing with the concept or the story of that one. I think it would have been worse for me if I couldn't just cheese it.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
567b9c26d94b6591f3887b3d222ee8b1_original.png

Was just looking at the Kickstarter page and lord, this one screenshot alone has a more compelling narrative than anything that actually made it into the game. What the heck happened to Nowa and Seign?

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the second dungeon this morning

Enjoying my time with the game so far! Francesca voice actor having the time of their life it seems

Oct 26, 2017
567b9c26d94b6591f3887b3d222ee8b1_original.png

Was just looking at the Kickstarter page and lord, this one screenshot alone has a more compelling narrative than anything that actually made it into the game. What the heck happened to Nowa and Seign?

Four years of development and along the way deciding that they didn't want to just mirror Suikoden 2?

Still playing, just did the
first solo Seign sidestory
and I'm quite relieved that they seem to be moving away from a potential
Jowy 2.0
situation.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Four years of development and along the way deciding that they didn't want to just mirror Suikoden 2?

Jowy 2.0
situation.
I'm thrilled they didn't mirror Suikoden 2, but both characters lost their personalities in the process.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Jowy 2.0
situation.

I am actually kind of glad they AREN'T just doing that again. As much as I love Suikoden II and it's a HUGE inspiration for my writing, I think it was for the best that they swerved Seign away from the kind of telegraphing the early trailers were doing with him.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yes, they're really weird. It's like the controls just stop working if you spin out, and there's no way to reverse and get back on track (which is maybe reasonable for a sand ship). But I found that there's plenty of time to just play carefully to win the story race and to recruit the character. I won't bother with it beyond that unless I have to.
You have to place first to recruit that character, which means zero mistake, and the controls are absolute dogshit. What were they thinking 🤢

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
You have to place first to recruit that character, which means zero mistake, and the controls are absolute dogshit. What were they thinking 🤢
I placed second and still got the character. They let you challenge them again and it is slower time then the race.

You are talking about Scarlet right?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Hope we can get some confirmation of the encounter bug after new patch.
Confirmed that it's fixed!

I'm playing on a 240Hz monitor, my fps is maxing out at 240fps, and I'm getting attacked in the open field at a rate of like once every 15-16 seconds. It only counts time if you're moving, so I did it a few times running in circles and it was pretty consistent. I also selected the half/30fps option (120Hz) and it was the same. MUCH better!

Edit: Also see that it got a Steam Deck Playable badge. All green checkmarks except for text size, which I agree can be pretty small depending on the UI screen you're looking at. I love playing it on there though.

Last edited:

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Finally got my copy yesterday and got right to the end of the Beta. Had a bunch of patches for the PS5 version before I was able to jump on.

Still enjoying this game. Looking forward to going into the unknown!