• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
UK
After seeing Bloodstained and lots of other delayed/inferior/not as optimised ports, I could believe it.

I'm glad they're being this transparent with it. You see it too often with other campaigns.

Ashrak

I don't really believe it. Team Cherry consists of 2 people (3 if you count in Chris Larkin who made the OST) and did an absolutly amazing port of Hollow Knight. And that game is based on Unity, which is infamous for mediocre console performance.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I can't think of many japanese KS games that wouldn't fair much worse on Nintendo systems. so the Switch being so out of the way for the devs (not these in particular) makes me believe that their priorities are a bit skewed

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
"Lower spec hardware" is more likely in reference to, eg, 3DS and/or Vita ports that were initially planned for MN9 and Bloodstsined. It's good for them to manage expectations now — if they find a NSW port is feasible down the line, great! If not, they don't have people bemoaning the failure to meet initial plans or promises.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I don't really believe it. Team Cherry consists of 2 people (3 if you count in Chris Larkin who made the OST) and did an absolutly amazing port of Hollow Knight. And that game is based on Unity, which is infamous for mediocre console performance.

They are not japanese.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
They're talking about games that target higher performance machines that then have to be "down-ported" to Switch.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The title is not at all what they are saying. I'm not even many/any Kickstarters have promised Switch versions...

They are quite clearly referencing all those Kickstarters that promised Vita and Wii U versions with no realistic chance or intention of actually releasing there.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
They imply that is what will happen if they port to Switch and not Switch 2, but "porting-game-to-switch-cost-have-been-too-expensive-in-just-about-every-major-japanese-crowdfunded-game" is simply not what they ere saying

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
OP they didn't say porting to Switch. They were referencing generally lower power hardware like the times 3DS, Vita, and Wii U were promised.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The only real frame of reference I can think of for this is Bloodstained. Which was treated like an afterthought, it was later Iga panicked and had to spring for Wayforward to try and fix their subpar port after they realized a huge chunk of their audience wanted that version.

Most western indie Kickstarters don't seem to have much issue with their Switch ports. But then most of them are smart enough to include the platform in their base project scope too.

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see they say it will come to Switch with obvious porting but asking for Switch 2 is kinda random.

I don't see a Switch 2 until 2022 holiday at the earliest, probably 2023. A Switch Pro could potentially alleviate the power gap but would have zero users day 1 so its kinda a non starter and likely wouldn't have any exclusive games outside of a random Nintendo project like on New 3DS.

I'm hoping Switch can deliver almost PS4 level performance in portable mode, or close to it, and ideally it has a foldable screen to increase portablility (one that folds without making a crease like those Apple patents) but that may not happen knowing Nintendo.

At the least, 8 cores @2Ghz+, 1.5TFs+, 8GBs LPDDR5 should be do-able by holiday 2022 or spring 2023 but I could be wrong. Would be great if they could put a graphene battery in there too because from what I've read (and I could be wrong) that can allow them to go up to a higher power consumption (so more horsepower) at the same battery life of previous models. So say instead of 7W, 15W but 3-4 hours on both. I could have misinterpreted that very, very wrong tho!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
They are quite obviously talking about 3D games. A game like Hollow Knight would be incredibly easy to port, relatively speaking. Games featuring 3D art are another beast entirely.

Also as a note, Unity has improved a lot on consoles.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
They are quite obviously talking about 3D games. A game like Hollow Knight would be incredibly easy to port, relatively speaking. Games featuring 3D art are another beast entirely.

Also as a note, Unity has improved a lot on consoles.
No they are quite obviously talking about kickstarters that had as extra goal 3DS/Vita/Wii U. I can't think of any "major Japanese crowdfunded campaign" that had Switch as as extra goal (excluding Bloodstained that was a shit show because Switch was an afterthought even though most supporters wanted a Switch version).

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
The title is not at all what they are saying. I'm not even many/any Kickstarters have promised Switch versions...

They are quite clearly referencing all those Kickstarters that promised Vita and Wii U versions with no realistic chance or intention of actually releasing there.

If that's not what they're saying, i think they need to reword the post. It reads to me like a switch port is exactly what they are referring to. If they weren't, why would they not promise a switch version, then explicitly say they hope there's a switch 2 that they can bring it to?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

In this context they are obviously talking about Switch version.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
This feels like baiting for Switch users to invest in the kickstarter with the promise of maybe a port to next console.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Common sense the thread xD Of course it's gonna be easier to bring the game to a more powerful Switch 2 compared to the OG Switch.

Feel like they've been pretty clear with the messaging from the start - especially when this game might not be out for 2 or 3 years.

Though looking at the game and screens - it doesn't really look like something that would be impossible to run on Switch especially when it's part of the initial development plans. Seems a bit weird...but who knows how things will shape up. Regardless of a more powerful system you would think they would like to target the 100m OG Switch owners compared to whatever install base a Switch 2 would have.

Developing for Switch and up porting to other systems doesn't seem like an option for them.

This feels like baiting for Switch users to invest in the kickstarter with the promise of maybe a port to next console.
Weird that they are even mentioning the console when they are obviously not interested in targeting the Switch specs with this game.

They def. wanna attract that audience but not the console lol.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Use the Switch version as the base version. Stretch for xbox and sony. Your main (Console) market is on the Switch for these games.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

There's a difference in complexity between a metroidvania and a full blown rpg. Not counting all the other variables such as 2D and 3D graphics, animations etc

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So just develop primarily for Switch then port up to PS4, etc. :P

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After seeing Bloodstained and lots of other delayed/inferior/not as optimised ports, I could believe it.

I'm glad they're being this transparent with it. You see it too often with other campaigns.

It still baffles me that Bloodstained didn't target switch to begin with and make improvements in textures and whathaveyou for the other platforms based on that. The igavanias had been almost entirely Nintendo exclusive for a long time already at that point.
Use the Switch version as the base version. Stretch for xbox and sony. Your main (Console) market is on the Switch for these games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is to be a spiritual suikoden sequel right?

I don't know why you'd assume for a franchise that as far as I can tell, has its roots in playstation history, the audience would be on Nintendo hardware in this case.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If that's not what they're saying, i think they need to reword the post. It reads to me like a switch port is exactly what they are referring to. If they weren't, why would they not promise a switch version, then explicitly say they hope there's a switch 2 that they can bring it to?
In this context they are obviously talking about Switch version.

They're not promising a Switch version for their project but "porting game to Switch cost have been too expensive" is not accurate because they are basing it on past examples of lower specced hardware and as I said I'm not even sure there's been many Kickstarters which offered Switch versions at this point?

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Most major Kickstarter VGs take like 4-5 years to cook up, so this makes quite a bit of sense.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Uhh, i guess its better than the old "were targetting wii u/ vita players even though we know we cant deliver" but with the switch

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
They're not promising a Switch version for their project but "porting game to Switch cost have been too expensive" is not accurate because they are basing it on past examples of lower specced hardware and as I said I'm not even sure there's been many Kickstarters which offered Switch versions at this point?

I mean they are making their own game so I assume they know what they are talking about when they say that they feel like Switch version could be a problem for them cost wise.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
I understand not developing for the Nintendo Switch if they believe the game will be out by the time the Switch successor is out/will be out soon.

What wouldn't make sense is them stating that making a Switch version would be too expensive. If that is the case, why not set the Nintendo Switch version of the game at a higher threshold, so that if it is met, the Switch version is made, but that it also takes into account the development costs for a Switch version?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they are making their own game so I assume they know what they are talking about when they say that they feel like Switch version could a problem for them cost wise.

I'm not arguing that, but the the wording of this title is inaccurate to what they have actually said.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Not a good example:

Switch

This is the next big thing for Team Cherry. We're working our hardest to get the game ready for Nintendo's sleek new console. But as hard as we work, Team Cherry is only two people (Plus Leth!) so we've taken a big step to speed things up!

Please welcome Shark Jump Studios. They're an Adelaide based coding/development team, and we've brought them on-board specifically to help us get Hollow Knight's Switch version tested, polished and ready for it's console debut. Between the two teams, expect Hollow Knight to land on Switch in a not crazy (though still unspecified!) period of time.

teamcherry.com.au

HK DONE QUICK! OVER 100,000 SOLD! ART! PIZZA! THUMBS UP! — Team Cherry

Buckle in Gang! This is a big one.

Might not be feasible for other companies to do something like this.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I mean they are making their own game so I assume they know what they are talking about when they say that they feel like Switch version could a problem for them cost wise.
You are missing the point. The title Of this thead says they said Switch version porting has been too expensive in all Japanese kickstarters, while the passage shown is talking about lower power hardware in general.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand not developing for the Nintendo Switch if they believe the game will be out by the time the Switch successor is out/will be out soon.

What wouldn't make sense is them stating that making a Switch version would be too expensive. If that is the case, why not set the Nintendo Switch version of the game at a higher threshold, so that if it is met, the Switch version is made, but that it also takes into account the development costs for a Switch version?

Because then you'll have people bitching about holding a switch version hostage.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
No they are quite obviously talking about kickstarters that had as extra goal 3DS/Vita/Wii U. I can't think of any "major Japanese crowdfunded campaign" that had Switch as as extra goal (excluding Bloodstained that was a shit show because Switch was an afterthought even though most supporters wanted a Switch version).
Dude, I'm trying to express that using a 2D sprite-based game as an example to demonstrate that they're not telling the truth is wrong (the guy I replied to literally said he didn't believe them). The difference in difficulty of porting a 2D game like Hollow Knight compared to porting 3D games like Bloodstained or Mighty No. 9 to lower spec hardware cannot be understated.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I remember when the Switch just came out people started talking about how easy it was to port games to the Switch, stating that it wouldn't take more than 2 weeks (?) for a direct unoptimized port. Shortly after that Sumo had Snake Pass playable on Switch within 4 days. What happened to this? Obviously different engines take different methods to be ported, but we've seen very small teams port their games without any problems.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Dude, I'm trying to express that using a 2D sprite-based game as an example to demonstrate that they're not telling the truth is wrong (the guy I replied to literally said he didn't believe them). The difference in difficulty of porting a 2D game like Hollow Knight compared to porting 3D games like Bloodstained or Mighty No. 9 to lower spec hardware cannot be understated.
Ah ok. For the record I don't think they are not saying the truth, it's just that what they are saying is not what the thread title is saying... :-) The implications of what they are saying though are indeed for the Switch version of their game.

This is clearly a team where even the Switch 2 will be an afterthought. It is nice that they are being transparent about it, but it is clear that people who are interested in playing only on Switch/Switch 2 should stay away from this kickstarter. Any Switch only player that does not ignore this campaign is ignoring the writing on the wall.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when the Switch just came out people started talking about how easy it was to port games to the Switch, stating that it wouldn't take more than 2 weeks (?) for a direct unoptimized port. Shortly after that Sumo had Snake Pass playable on Switch within 4 days. What happened to this? Obviously different engines take different methods to be ported, but we've seen very small teams port their games without any problems.
probably the devs trying to aim higher with higher end games. The Witcher 3 took a year to port and a lot of modifications to the engine to get around the Switch's limitations

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
And those plattforms won't have any issue running a game developed for Switch.
I agree but it's clear they don't want to compromise their vision to the extent possible so I get why they're not treating the Switch as a baseline.
In the west they'd generally led sales on Switch. Most are AA and midsize efforts though, we don't really have a point for comparison on things like FFXV or KH3.
There's definitely a huge JRPG market on the Switch, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was just responding to the idea that the Switch is the ONLY JRPG market when we have so many recent examples demonstrating the opposite for PS4 and PC.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Ah ok. For the record I don't think they are not saying the truth, it's just that what they are saying is not what the thread title is saying... :-) The implications of what they are saying though are indeed for the Switch version of their game.

This is clearly a team where even the Switch 2 will be an afterthought. It is nice that they are being transparent about it, but it is clear that people who are interested in playing only on Switch/Switch 2 should stay away from this kickstarter. Any Switch only player that does not ignore this campaign is ignoring the writing on the wall.
Yeah, for their game it's naturally about the Switch! Don't disagree with you there! Sorry if I sounded a bit heated for a sec. <3

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree but it's clear they don't want to compromise their vision to the extent possible so I get why they're not treating the Switch as a baseline.

There's definitely a huge JRPG market on the Switch, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was just responding to the idea that the Switch is the ONLY JRPG market when we have so many recent examples demonstrating the opposite for PS4 and PC.

Whilst true it's funny that the game they namedropped(Octopath Traveler) as an influence in terms of visual style and showing JRPGs are viable is a Switch game first and foremost.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Yeah, they did an astounding job with the port, but they took like an extra year of development time to optimize performance and made sure it was great. Luckily they had the bandwidth to take on such a task and the results were great, but to hand wave away what was surely a significant undertaking seems both unfair to the Hollow Knight devs, and the devs here.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yes and it basically consist of rewriting the whole game. Which is the point of what he is saying.
And Hollow Knight is mostly an exception with Ori.
And remember those two games already had a huge success commercially. So making a port when you already have the money isn't the same.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is the reality of it. I feel like by the time this comes out PS4 and XBO versions probably get cut.
At least if those versions do get made they would run on PS5/XSX anyway due to BC.

This mostly comes down to what tools/development SW they want to use and how long those offer support for current gen consoles.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Don't know why specifically mention Switch in the title...

They mention "lower spec" which right now means Switch, but previously meant 3DS, Vita and Wii U. And it's obvious too. Look at Mighty No.9 and not only the disaster it was, but the 3DS and Vita versions were never released. Or more recently Bloodstained, were they cancelled the Wii U and Vita versions in favor of a Switch version that ended with a ton of problems at launch.

So yeah, this is nothing new and not specific to Switch.

EDIT:
Title was changed.

Last edited: