tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
but hypothetically if there's no one in your level range available, would the game match you with people that are outside of your level range?

sometimes it takes a relatively long time to get matched and I get to thinking "there's no way I'm the only person online right now" which leads me to think there really is a strict threshold that the game will refuse to go past in terms of matching different levels.

I'm not sure. Summon sign matching using keyword wil scale you appropriately but effigy matching I cannot say as I don't have experience to draw from.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
but hypothetically if there's no one in your level range available, would the game match you with people that are outside of your level range?

sometimes it takes a relatively long time to get matched and I get to thinking "there's no way I'm the only person online right now" which leads me to think there really is a strict threshold that the game will refuse to go past in terms of matching different levels.

There's a strict rune level and weapon upgrade range for non-password co-op. If you're too high level you're less likely to get summoned as there's less people wandering around at level 200+ looking to co-op than at level 80. If there's no people in your level range then nobody will see your sign.

The summon calculator in the fextra wiki is inaccurate, this one has the correct level ranges.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
I'm in the mood of replaying the game usually I use a guide for the replay to get everything the game has to offer. The problem here is obvious: Elden Ring is just to fucking big in comparison to other Souls games. Is there a guide that concentrates on all "essential" content? I mean all unique bosses, quests, events and so on. What I don't want is a description of all dungeons, enemies and items in the world.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the mood of replaying the game usually I use a guide for the replay to get everything the game has to offer. The problem here is obvious: Elden Ring is just to fucking big in comparison to other Souls games. Is there a guide that concentrates on all "essential" content? I mean all unique bosses, quests, events and so on. What I don't want is a description of all dungeons, enemies and items in the world.

I'm not aware of a guide like that but I do approach my replays in that manner. My replays usually take about 9-12 hours depending on various factors such as how much I get invaded. What I consider as essential is

-Content that have the stuff I need for my build for that playthrough.
-Essential mats such as bell bearings and seeds/tears. Unfortunately you will hit a bit of repeat content while collecting these things.
-All Shard Bearers: Godrick, Rennala, Radahn, Rykard,, dragonlord, Mogh, Malenia in addition to the mandatory bosses from capital and onward.
-All side quests, which will add all of underground and relevant the side areas in liurnia/Caelid/Altus.
-Access deeproot depth via sewers instead of gargoyles as I feel that access is more organic.

Doing content this ways leaves things like burial guard dogs, elite turned trash (like cleanrot knight in that cave) instances mostly, gladiators, etc. I do go out of my way to hunt down fights that I like like Bell Bearing Hunters and Crucible Knights but they are hardly "essential" I think. I feel like this keeps repeats to a minimum, or at least to my taste.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not aware of a guide like that but I do approach my replays in that manner. My replays usually take about 9-12 hours depending on various factors such as how much I get invaded. What I consider as essential is

-Content that have the stuff I need for my build for that playthrough.
-Essential mats such as bell bearings and seeds/tears. Unfortunately you will hit a bit of repeat content while collecting these things.
-All Shard Bearers: Godrick, Rennala, Radahn, Rykard,, dragonlord, Mogh, Malenia in addition to the mandatory bosses from capital and onward.
-All side quests, which will add all of underground and relevant the side areas in liurnia/Caelid/Altus.
-Access deeproot depth via sewers instead of gargoyles as I feel that access is more organic.

Doing content this ways leaves things like burial guard dogs, elite turned trash (like cleanrot knight in that cave) instances mostly, gladiators, etc. I do go out of my way to hunt down fights that I like like Bell Bearing Hunters and Crucible Knights but they are hardly "essential" I think. I feel like this keeps repeats to a minimum, or at least to my taste.
Thanks. As I don't plan on replaying the game again, I want it to be a bit more complete (so not 10h but also not 100 hours. Probably around 20-40 would be ideal). I just had a look at https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route at this feels like it contains approx. what I expect.

Slyferious

Nov 27, 2017

I personally used this guide to get the plat and beat every unique boss and do the things you mentioned you wanted to do. Maybe give this a try?

View: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7RtZMiaOk8gdRf130w4gFYyhstL-5VRh&si=croW4V_wZNIyTYeN

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I think I'm overleveled. Finally made it to Malenia about 80 hours in and at SL175. I've saved up 62 Rune Arcs. Died about 10 times, each time using my Mimic Tear and a different Great Rune. Got her on my 11th try or so, after starting to learn the attack patterns. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have done it if not for my Mimic Tear distracting her. Definitely an easier time than some of the other bosses in Bloodborne or other games. Just have Crumbling and other endgame content to do, so I guess I'll hold here until the DLC comes out?

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
I'm doing a replay in order to get ready for the DLC and going straight Unga. No Unga+Faith, no Unga Quality, just Strength, Endurance, and Vigor.

Greatshield, Greatsword, Heavy Armor + defense charms.

I'm not very far into it yet, but holy damn it's satisfying being an unstoppable wall of death.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I think I'm about 3/4 through streaming my new intelligence build. Nobody's watching, but I've enjoyed being able to refer back to the videos. I've never tried sorcery/INT in a From game. I get what people mean about it being an easier way to play, I can see beginners or people intimidated by souls games getting on with this approach. Provided they don't skimp on vigor, haha

I don't think this is the character I'll take to the DLC, though. I'm divided. My most fun character was the arcane/dragon one, but some of the arcane stuff runs out of gas late game. Maybe I should start another? We'll see, I may have had my fill by the time this current playthrough is over.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what the significance is of requiring to have defeated Mohg and Radahn to enter the DLC.

Ugh I can't wait for this
Well for Mogh, I imagine it has something to do with the body in his possession that could not be shed while under his control.

For Radahn, I am running with the idea that what happens in the cutscene after you defeat him opens something else up as well. Perhaps these two things are what was needed for our elusive demigod to journey to the Shadow Realm.

Pure speculation, but makes sense to me.

manifest73

Oct 28, 2017
Started a new character to take into the DLC, and because I wanted to try a faith build. Pleasantly surprised with how quickly you can get to Mohgwyn Palace and the rune farming spot nearby on a subsequent play through.

Did it in about 15 hours really taking my time (and had to get to Altus Plateau for the Varre quest as part of it since I don't have an active ps plus membership for online play). Seems like if you followed a guide getting access to the DLC area in under 10 hours might be pretty feasible.

Jun 24, 2019

View: https://youtu.be/zZwct5XkWHA

It does line up. I can see the theory of Melina = Miquella due to ties to Torrent, healing incantations and her phasing out.

Increasingly lore points that the Gloam-eyed Queen is another character. Sure she could be an alias for St Trina, but likely perhaps she could be Placidusax God's or the woman in the painting of the DLC's trailer.

Considering she's the sworn enemy of Marika and mother of the Godskins, Melina doesn't match the description.

While Melina does quote "bringing destined death" and has that winged tattoo, it doesn't fully suggest she's the Gloam-eyed Queen. Ranni has the same tattoo on her eye, and Miquella may have the same if we see him. Maybe it's the mark of those who "divest their self from flesh" and roam between the planes of the dead and living.

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
I've got the platinum trophy for ER and getting ready for the DLC with a dip back in. With the platinum trophy's level of completion in mind, and not wanting to start another NG+ before the DLC, is there anything anyone would recommend doing I might've missed?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, duh. Never mind about that. It's been a while and I forgot you had to use an Arc Rune first to even activate your first Great Rune.

Also, I forgot they added Ray Tracing to this later. Got a 4080 and I suddenly started dropping down to the mid 40's at some spots in the open, and I had no idea why. Then I noticed in the options that the RT was defaulted to ON.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Last edited:
May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
That was an interesting read, thanks for posting. I would definitely like to see more Thorn Sorceries in the DLC. I am also fascinated by the Helphen and Deathbirds so more Ghost Flame please FROM, thanks.

I would very much like to see them delving into Int/Arc player archetypes. We have Str/Arc (Mohgs Spear, Marias Executioners Sword), Dex/Arc, and Int/Arc.

I find the Arcane style builds to be extremely fascinating and fun to use and would love an expanded Int/Arc spell selection and weapon selection.

Nov 14, 2023
I personally used this guide to get the plat and beat every unique boss and do the things you mentioned you wanted to do. Maybe give this a try?

View: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7RtZMiaOk8gdRf130w4gFYyhstL-5VRh&si=croW4V_wZNIyTYeN

Thanks. I already have all achievments and a 40 hour walkthrough is a bit much for my taste :D

I really don't like Fighting Cowboy's guide.

It's designed for beginners but it sucks for beginners, as it has them running around all over the map collecting shit, ruining a lot of progression and exploration on the way.

And it sucks for vets because it's spends precious time on basics and tutorials and extra hand holding.

I have yet to find a true beginner guide for this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I am level 182 and have over 300k runes from just randomly helping at end boss.

If I use that to level up for the dlc will I be able to help others and vicsa versa?

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
So in the middle of yet another unga playthrough I bit the bullet and switched to frost/bleed claws and wow

This is a super fun playstyle! I'm glad I'm not running a meta build because it's gonna need 17 faith, and plenty of endurance and mind to really make it shine (poise is required), on top of leveling str/int and vig.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I am level 182 and have over 300k runes from just randomly helping at end boss.

If I use that to level up for the dlc will I be able to help others and vicsa versa?

That depends on the average level of the player base, you don't get to level 150+ without explicitly farming runes unless you're in very, very late NG or into NG+ so I'd stay at that level if you want to co-op without password. At level 182 the player that is summoning you has to be at minimum level 157.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
That depends on the average level of the player base, you don't get to level 150+ without explicitly farming runes unless you're in very, very late NG or into NG+ so I'd stay at that level if you want to co-op without password. At level 182 the player that is summoning you has to be at minimum level 157.

It was mainly from helping randos and then just afking to be summoned at EB lol. I 100% the game.

Last edited:

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020

View: https://twitter.com/KaiCenat/status/1788298183279292899?t=KMvVKoCfNtHsTugRhMA2bA&s=19

This man made an entire trailer for this playthrough, I barely knew anything about him until the Drake/Kendrick beef lol, but he's the biggest streamer in the world I guess? More hype for the DLC I guess.

Curiosity got the best of me and he has spent the first hour and a half fighting the guy on the horse right at the start

Pure comedy. He's not beating this shit

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Curiosity got the best of me and he has spent the first hour and a half fighting the guy on the horse right at the start

Pure comedy. He's not beating this shit
Ahhh yes. Classic case of Sentinel Vision. Dude lives rent free in so many heads (while he collects them.)

Though I will say, if I want to beat him straight away, I just start as a vagabond or confessor. Square Off trivializes him so much.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Tuned back in

He's 6 hours in still fighting the tree sentinel at level 1

Someone please tell him

Many streamers do this, it's not that they don't know they can skip it and kill it later, they do, but doing this creates a lot of engagement.

I've watched a bunch of Japanese streamers do this, players that you'd swear would never manage to kill it end up doing so without even getting hit once, it's kind of impressive to watch the progress.

It's more or less the same reason why games like Jump King and Getting Over It are popular streaming games.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Wait he's actually playing through the whole game in a single sitting lmao (with sleep breaks I guess)

Good luck ;__;

Jun 24, 2019

View: https://youtu.be/_uwohcsBVHM

Neat parallel of the Tarnished crucible wings vs Messmer = Crucible Knights vs Gladiators (adorned as the Traiterous Serpent). The CK were allies to the Erdtree and led under Godfrey, but soon after Godfrey's banishment, the CK disbanded. Some choose to lament their purpose, some remain loyal to Lyndell, while few choose to betray the Erdtree that betrayed them (Tanith's bodyguard).

If you closely examined the Erdtree at the Throne of Lyndell, it reveals a normal looking stump encased in gold, serving further proof of the illusion.

The Shadow lands hidden by Marika's veil also reminds me of Rom's veil in Bloodborne. Upon discovering the blood moon, in ER you uncover the truth about the dead Erdtree, which Messmer had set ablaze.

Bodhi

Oct 5, 2022
Any chance From Software puts their games on sale? Or should I drop 80 buckaroos for the whole package.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
tryna play again but its possible to miss the dlc part n go past it making u HAVE to start all the way over from limgrave w ng+????

what do i do to ensure i dont miss or go past the part of no return? is it obvious or

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Any chance From Software puts their games on sale? Or should I drop 80 buckaroos for the whole package.
They do, but ER was pretty sale resilient for a long time. I expect the DLC to be similar.

The bundle is already 33% off the base game. I wouldn't expect too much better from Steam in the short to medium term. You may knock off another $5 or something from a different official keyshop though. But not all of them will guarantee you can play the base game today, instead sending you both at DLC launch.

tryna play again but its possible to miss the dlc part n go past it making u HAVE to start all the way over from limgrave w ng+????

what do i do to ensure i dont miss or go past the part of no return? is it obvious or
Don't think you can lock yourself out of the DLC. The only "risk" is starting ng+ by accident, but once you beat the last boss, the game asks you if you want to end the game, so it's pretty telegraphed.

Last edited: