• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Elden Ring your top souls game - did you love BOTW?

• ER is the top souls - BOTW is a goat

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • ER is the top souls - BOTW was ok or worse

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • ER is a lesser souls - BOTW is a goat

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • ER is a lesser souls - BOTW was ok or worse

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
theres a thread that asks what you rank elden ring among souls games, and im wondering how often it being at the top of that list tracks with how much you enjoyed BOTW

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
ER is tops, BotW is good. It just has too many flaws I hope BotW 2 wil address. ER is the complete package.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean

I just voted the first option but I put ER above Botw at this point

That said BOTW is also amazing. They are both great games

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne > DS3 > ER >DS > DS2 > DeS > Sekiro > other games > BotW which is a fantastic game.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Elden Ring is a good souls game regardless of where it is in the ranking, havent thought about that. BOTW is a terrible zelda game, or terrible game in general i should say.

My opinion of course.

Oct 27, 2017
1 Elden Ring

2 other geemes

lol BOTW isn't even the best Zelda game let alone the best open world game.. nintendo fans legit be acting like that game invented open world games smfh.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Both of them fall short of why I loved each series in the first place, and honestly even with the meme comparisons of Elden Ring and BOTW, they both follow a similar progression in how each game expanded.

I don't like where either of them went to in the end. Really do not enjoy the "emergent gameplay" style of open world, in some regards they annoy me more than map bloat games just because exploring to find a quest/dungeon that ends up being shit just means I've wasted my time.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
ER and BotW are both great. I like BotW more, but they're complimentary. Both are the best games in their lineage.

I think BotW would have been better with a complete underground. ER has that. BotW's got better world interactions and provides more options for approaching situations. But ER's combat at its best is second to none. ER better integrates its dungeons into the overworld. BotW makes overworld locations more visible, and is thus more easily navigable. They trade blows when it comes to world design.

Both games have best in class map systems, that feel like natural sources of discovery. Both spur exploration in the same way.

I wish BotW would have leaned more into simulation aspects. If it included sleep and hunger mechanics, at least in master mode. Would've been all for that. I wish ER was a little more accommodating when it comes to lock on. Wish it had fewer big bosses in small arenas. Neither game is perfect. Both deliver so much on what I want though.

I think the strong interactivity and best-in-series puzzles are what make BotW for me. It's a more varied experience than Elden Ring, and I think in the end it will have sustained my attention longer. It's also more enjoyable to play, more fun to just get around the world. But I sure am hoping the world design in the next one takes a few cues from ER.

Last edited:
Weird poll...This game blows Zelda out of the water and it's not even a little close. I'm talking 13 billion light years apart. BoTW was and still is hot garbage compared to most games nevermind comparing it to Elden Ring.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's missing some middle of the road options for me. I think Elden Ring is in the upper echelon of Souls games but I like Bloodborne's more focused, singular, experience more.

I think BotW is in the mid-tier of Zeldas. It isn't as bad as Skyward Sword but the weapon durability and lack of dungeons drag it down massively for me.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
These games make me a believer in open world. Also elder scrolls. These 3 are making living worlds you care about. Worlds where everything isn't just a checklist. Worlds with layers. Layers of content that builds the experience. Exploring that you can enjoy.

95% of open world games are boring and just not fun.

Best part is all of them can be improved. Meaning they're on the right track and others are not

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Weird poll...This game blows Zelda out of the water and it's not even a little close. I'm talking 13 billion light years apart. BoTW was and still is hot garbage compared to most games nevermind comparing it to Elden Ring.

It does but its also newer

BOTW is aging and was a transition title for the franchise in many ways

It wasn't the first game of its type but it got attention similar to Mario 64 for being a flag bearer into these new design concepts for Nintendo games

I don't think beating down on it is super fair outside of just pointing out where the genre is evolving past what Nintendo accomplished

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I prefer linear style games over open world.

So the best previous Souls > Elden Ring, and the best previous Zeldas > BotW.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy... If this thread gets traction, it'll go places.

As for me, option 2.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This opinion is just factually wrong. ER is awesome but BotW is a magnificent and absolutely seminal piece of work as well. Very bold from both developers and they succeeded big time.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Both are very good and, in my opinion, represent the highest point of their respective lineages. It is also true that both are far from perfect and have considerable room for improvement.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Option 2. I love Elden Ring, I know BotW is a great game but it wasn't for me.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
This opinion is just factually wrong. ER is awesome but BotW is a magnificent and absolutely seminal piece of work as well. Very bold from both developers and they succeeded big time.
It's best not to respond to posts clearly lookin for attention. Like responding to a prank call. Don't give 'em the satisfaction. They are not worth even the seconds of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.