• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021

ELDEN RING - ESRB

ELDEN RING - Mature 17+ - This is an action role-playing game in which players assume the role of a character trying to retrieve a magical ring and become the Elden Lord.

Rating Summary
This is an action role-playing game in which players assume the role of a character trying to retrieve a magical ring and become the Elden Lord. From a third-person perspective, players explore environments, collect items, and battle various enemies (e.g., knights, fantastical creatures) in melee combat. Players use swords, spears, axes, arrows, and magic to enemies; combat is highlighted by cries of pain, splatters of blood, and impact sounds. The game includes depictions of gore: collectible items that include severed fingers and tongues; a boss character cutting off its arm; severed arms hanging from a ceiling. During the course of the game, a humanoid monster is depicted partially nude, with scales/scars covering its breast and pelvic regions. The word "sh*t" appears in the dialogue.

M.svg

Blood and Gore
Language
Suggestive Themes
Violence

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. I never pay full price for games anymore - but I think this is going to be a rare exception.

My only thing is it looks like bosses all over the place, and I SUCK at games like this lol.

It's so beautiful though, I can't help but be sucked in.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I just checked and Dark Souls 1 and 3 are rated M but Dark Souls 2 is rated T.... what? 😆

OP
OP
starfoxxxy

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Oh man. I never pay full price for games anymore - but I think this is going to be a rare exception.

My only thing is it looks like bosses all over the place, and I SUCK at games like this lol.

It's so beautiful though, I can't help but be sucked in.

You can team up with others who are tarnished

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I always wonder how they do this (determine a game's rating). Does someone at the board have to play through the entire game? Watch a playthrough of the entire game? Because for something like this it would take dozens or even hundreds of hours to see everything, and that seems to be what's happening, since they are counting the number of curse words, enumerating the characters showing bare breasts, etc..

Rating a two hour movie is easy mode by comparison! Any developers, publishers, journos or ESA people on the forum that have insight into this process?

OP
OP
starfoxxxy

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I always wonder how they do this (determine a game's rating). Does someone at the board have to play through the entire game? Watch a playthrough of the entire game? Because for something like this it would take dozens or even hundreds of hours to see everything, and that seems to be what's happening, since they are counting the number of curse words, enumerating the characters showing bare breasts, etc..

Rating a two hour movie is easy mode by comparison! Any developers, publishers, journos or ESA people on the forum that have insight into this process?

The ratings are determined by a combination of material provided by the game's publisher in both questionnaires and video footage of the game, and a review of this material by a panel of reviewers who assign it a rating.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Someone who has been involved can correct me but I believe the way it works is that publishers are required to report certain content in accordance to guidelines set by the ESRB. They also indicate the rating they would like to receive. The content you submitted is then reviewed in video form by the ESRB and as long as you don't exceed the limits of the rating you requested you receive that rating.

Oct 30, 2017

https://youtu.be/TaB-Tp4G6WI

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is the language rating because of all the curse words players will likely say.......or is Pot Bro going to uncharismatically call one of the bosses a piece of shit?

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
As long as they don't curse or take the lord's name in vain I'll play this 🤬😱😳