• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Steamforged has a shoddy track record. Resident Evil 2 The Board Game was probably their best project, and even that had some disappointing elements. I recall the Dark Souls lineup was initially a bit of a mess too, though it does sound like they put in work to address the issues there.

I'm not surprised that Steamforged picked up the license, given the existing relationship that's there with Dark Souls, but I hope they do take to heart the many criticisms that their Dark Souls board game got, especially since the potential for expansions to this property is not only tremendous, but likely very, very expensive since each region of the game can justify a base game-style $100+ price tag.

Oddly well-timed news with the Monster Hunter World board game getting a slight delay into the new year for fulfillment.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not surprised that Steamforged picked up the license, given the existing relationship that's there with Dark Souls, but I hope they do take to heart the many criticisms that their Dark Souls board game got, especially since the potential for expansions to this property is not only tremendous, but likely very, very expensive since each region of the game can justify a base game-style $100+ price tag.

Oddly well-timed news with the Monster Hunter World board game getting a slight delay into the new year for fulfillment.
Did they say how far before they start fulfillment?

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, Steamforged. I hope they can level up their license games to the next level because being just competent shouldn't be enough.

It's going to be minis galore with all-in price tag in the $500 range, but the base pledge might be good value once again. Not that you should be buying anything if the game isn't up to par.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarter? The game sold like 15 million copies. They can't scrape together a few hundred K in funding or whatever it costs to make the goddamn game themselves?

Kickstarter? The game sold like 15 million copies. They can't scrape together a few hundred K in funding to make the goddamn game themselves?
One of the more open secrets out there is that board game crowd funding really is just a big round of pre-orders, largely for indie board game sellers, that sweeten the pot with exclusive pieces and expansions as well as what winds up being a priority shipping that gets it into the hands of said sellers before the official retail release of all the sets and modules that are bound for normal retail distribution.

Did they say how far before they start fulfillment?
Today's email to backers said it would be somewhere between January and February before they start shipping them out. They already have their samples in, so nothing looks to be off in terms of timing right now, but I certainly don't need to speak to anyone with a thing for board games about how tough the Covid era has been to get anything on time anymore.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
You land on another Tree Sentinel - this one has electric get fucked. The game Jumaji's itself closed.

OP
OP

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
Steamforged has a shoddy track record. Resident Evil 2 The Board Game was probably their best project, and even that had some disappointing elements. I recall the Dark Souls lineup was initially a bit of a mess too, though it does sound like they put in work to address the issues there.

They just announced standalone Dark Souls expansions with new rulebooks that incorporated community feedback, so I'm looking forward to seeing those too!

You land on another Tree Sentinel - this one has electric get fucked. The game Jumaji's itself closed.
If for nothing else, they can certainly save a lot of money on not needing to make as many pieces since all they would need are cards to call out all the variants. Why make separate pieces for Ulcerated and Rotten Tree Spirits when the one will suffice!

Ferrera

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2022
I bought the Dark Souls one and NEVER played it. Think I'm waiting for kids to get a little bit older.

Thing is beautiful though.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Bummed it's Steamforged like Dark Souls was. I know they recently released new rules for DS, but they have a spotty track record at beast. Minis will be great no doubt.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Folks seem to like their RE3 board game as well.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
One of the more open secrets out there is that board game crowd funding really is just a big round of pre-orders, largely for indie board game sellers, that sweeten the pot with exclusive pieces and expansions as well as what winds up being a priority shipping that gets it into the hands of said sellers before the official retail release of all the sets and modules that are bound for normal retail distribution.
Then they should open pre-orders with offers for exclusive pieces and expansions and priority shipping? They certainly should have the funding to be able to make the game without having to take customers' money a year+ in advance while being able to pocket every single cent if something goes wrong between now and the game shipping. You can do preorders where the customer is at least entitled to their reservation back instead of being entitled to absolutely fucking nothing.

I admit, I'm not into board games so I don't know about the culture surrounding this, but I would be pissed if I had to drop $50 or whatever back in 2019 to get a release day copy of Advance Wars 1+2 Boot Camp only for my money to vaporize when the game is indefinitely delayed because of the invasion of Ukraine. Nintendo doesn't need my help funding games. A new dev with a new IP? Sure. It just seems fucked up when attached to these massive blockbusters.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I played Horizon: Zero Dawn by them and it honestly wasn't bad. But I can see being turned off of the game if you only had the based game.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Then they should open pre-orders with offers for exclusive pieces and expansions and priority shipping? They certainly should have the funding to be able to make the game without having to take customers' money a year+ in advance while being able to pocket every single cent if something goes wrong between now and the game shipping. You can do preorders where the customer is at least entitled to their reservation back instead of being entitled to absolutely fucking nothing.

I admit, I'm not into board games so I don't know about the culture surrounding this, but I would be pissed if I had to drop $50 or whatever back in 2019 to get a release day copy of Advance Wars 1+2 Boot Camp only for my money to vaporize when the game is indefinitely delayed because of the invasion of Ukraine. Nintendo doesn't need my help funding games. A new dev with a new IP? Sure. It just seems fucked up when attached to these massive blockbusters.

You're not wrong and yet here we are. The board game KS crowd has way too much money to spend.

You're not wrong and yet here we are. The board game KS crowd has way too much money to spend.
Yep, this has been too winning a business model to not keep it up, regardless if they have a big license involved or if they're making it hard to resist going all-in on a spinoff of an already popular board game. I definitely do not have the money to stay on top anything other than the stuff where I feel the pieces are to my liking (hence getting Bloodborne and MHW), and I'll look into what they have to offer here since I do love the world of Elden Ring, but it cannot be overstated that the crowd for the KS campaigns are not necessarily intended to be for normal folks looking for a quick pick up and play experience based on their favorite IPs.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
[draws a card]
"You jump on an incline and get stuck in the geometry. Lose 2 turns. Then, on your third turn, die instantly."

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to choose to believe this is Steamforged because of working in the past with Bandai Namco
How I wish it would be the same quality as Bloodborne :/

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Bummer. I don't like Steamforged games, in general.

Same.

I backed Dark Souls on the everything tier. My friend also backed it, but just the base game. We played it at his house, and I hated it. It felt like the focus was on some meta game about bonfire refreshing and effing around in the menus. Even the Bloodborne game mistakenly focuses on the repeated death concepts, but the Dark Souls game is managing an item lottery. It just sucks, and I didn't like the minis or the barren maps.

What these board games don't seem to grasp is that the video games are more about engaging and tactical combat than the minutia of dying and restarting. You do that in every video game and it's hardly the most interesting thing about Souls games.
For the tabletop experience, set up your characters at the beginning of the game, and then get in there and fight some mother fucking monsters. If you die, you're done. You failed that attempt. Sure, when you play the videogame, you can play endlessly, returning back to the dungeons and trying again and again. I'm actually seen people argue that the board games need to have that to feel like souls games. Are you kidding me? I'll have 8 hour play sessions involving multiple attempts across different areas. But come on, that's not the distilled experience. The central experience in going into an area, summoning a pal or two, getting invaded, fighting monsters, and trying to survive all the way to a boss. That takes about an hour or less. For a board game experience, that's all it needs to be. One solid attempt at a run to a boss through a dungeon. Focus on the exciting push your luck combat.

Anyway, Steamforged games... eeh. They just announced a couple new Dark Souls core boxes, with updated rules based on community input, and I'm tempted but eh.. I have my doubts.

Their Resident Evil games have been a bit sloppy too, though I think those are more fun than Dark Souls, despite being overly long and broken down into uninteresting little campaign missions. I feel like making a campaign game is an excuse to not design a tight, replayable and variable game.

Rather than suffering through dozens of boring campaign missions, I'd rather have a Resident Evil game that asked you to explore a modular mansion, find a number of objects that could help you complete puzzles that stand in your way of an exit, all the while trying to survive an ever increasing assault by enemies randomized at the beginning of the game.. and end it with a mystery boss fight. That's a game to me. You could play it again with a new board, new enemies, new goals showing up, and a new boss. That's the kind of replayability I desire. Campaign games are more like one and done scripted experiences. Eh.

So I'm troubled that Elden Ring went to Steamforged. Guh.

Well, I can always hold out for a CMON Demon's Souls. I was really hoping their Bloodborne game would be a dice chucking dungeon crawler, but it's more of a puzzley thing with ZERO dice. Monkey's Paw. Still, I think the game is of a higher quality experience than Steamforged Games' Dark Souls.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle

It's not being made by From or Namco, it's being made by a tiny(by comparison) boardgames maker who bought a license from those companies.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.
Shame it's not from CMON tbh.
They sure have issues with shipping delays and costs, but the games themselves, and the minis in particular, are just stellar.
I have the Bloodborne game (by CMON) and it is incredible, but what I have seen of the Dark Souls game (by Steamforged) is very underwhelming.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls was both late and bad. I can't recommend games by this publisher, even though I would love a good Elden Ring board game.

radiogra

Jun 27, 2020
i had to use house rules a lot (basically getting rid of redoing encounters if you could beat them w/o using estus, making the cards less random by having weapon, armor, spell dedicated decks, etc.), but i got pretty into the dark souls board game over the pandemic. the bloodborne game is a much more refined experience in that sense, but i come back to dark souls more, almost because of the flexibility.

excited for this. even if i have to fudge the rules a bit. their minifigs are always great, too. in the dark souls games at least.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Image up on KS

c84e37a04405cac4a64591410dea318c_original.png

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
steamforged.com

Pledge Level Details Revealed | ELDEN RING: The Board Game Kickstarter

Arise, Tarnished, and feast your eyes on the Kickstarter pledge levels for ELDEN RING: The Board Game! This November 22 from 18:00 UTC, we invite you to begin your journey to the tabletop Lands Between, and start upon the path of becoming an Elden Lord. More than 34,000 Tarnished are already...

$90 for Weeping Peninsula
$180 for Weeping Peninsula & Limgrame
$430 for Weeping Peninsula & Limgrame & Stormveil.

I might go in for the $90... But by golly this is a lot lol.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
steamforged.com

Pledge Level Details Revealed | ELDEN RING: The Board Game Kickstarter

Arise, Tarnished, and feast your eyes on the Kickstarter pledge levels for ELDEN RING: The Board Game! This November 22 from 18:00 UTC, we invite you to begin your journey to the tabletop Lands Between, and start upon the path of becoming an Elden Lord. More than 34,000 Tarnished are already...

$90 for Weeping Peninsula
$180 for Weeping Peninsula & Limgrame
$430 for Weeping Peninsula & Limgrame & Stormveil.

I might go in for the $90... But by golly this is a lot lol.

Whew, that is a lot of money for someone who's interested but doesn't have a regular board game group.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Kickstarter? The game sold like 15 million copies. They can't scrape together a few hundred K in funding or whatever it costs to make the goddamn game themselves?

This project is not being funded by anyone involved making the game. Steamforged games is making this, it is just a licensed product. Board games, especially huge ones with tons of minatures like this one, have an absurd production cost.

Then they should open pre-orders with offers for exclusive pieces and expansions and priority shipping? They certainly should have the funding to be able to make the game without having to take customers' money a year+ in advance while being able to pocket every single cent if something goes wrong between now and the game shipping.

No, kickstarters are not preorders exaclty for the reason you just stated. There is no funding. This does not work like a video game, where you pre-order a product that has been in development for years and is close to releasing. This game will not start being made until after the funding for it has been received from this kickstarter project.

Last edited:

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
Holy shit that is a lot of plastic.

Looks cool for those into this style, but I am quite fatigued with Prestige fundraiser board games that take up obscene amounts of shelf space and take forever to setup. Look great in Youtube Unboxing videos and on shelves behind Youtube talking head videos to show your gamer street cred'.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I was a day one Dark Souls and Bloodborne board game Kickstarter backer. With that being said, I'm fatigued and will be sitting this one out.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'm disappointed that this is Steamforged because they make crappy games, or ecstatic because it means I don't have to back this

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This project is not being funded by anyone involved making the game. Steamforged games is making this, it is just a licensed product. Board games, especially huge ones with tons of minatures like this one, have an absurd production cost.

Seeing the crazy expensive marketing event they put on for this game and amount of advertising going on, it's hard to feel anything for SFG especially after the duds of games they keep putting out. And then they tried to mend things with Dark Souls "2nd edition", and that seems to be just another huge mess.

Ugh.
Shame it's not from CMON tbh.
They sure have issues with shipping delays and costs, but the games themselves, and the minis in particular, are just stellar.
I have the Bloodborne game (by CMON) and it is incredible, but what I have seen of the Dark Souls game (by Steamforged) is very underwhelming.

Minis and production values yes, but rule/game wise CMON games are a bit all over the place. Folks like to forget about many of their underwhelming titles as the focus is on cool minis

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, the minis do look good, if not great. Otoh this being just Weeping Peninsula+ Limgrave (with the first legacy dungeon) for $500 all-in makes me think the whole thing (if other zones ever release, which comments indicate they are already planning on expansions) will be well north of $1000, if not $2000.

We'd be looking at
- Liurnia + Raya Lucaria
- Caelid + Redmane Castle
- Undergrounds (Ainsel, Siofra...) + Mogwyn palace
- Altus Plateau + Leyndell
- Mount Gelmir + Volcano Manor
- Forbidden lands/ Mountaintop of giants/ Consecrated Snowfields
- Crumbling Farum Azula + Haligtree
- Ashen Capital/ Shunning grounds/ ending

Even grouping those by 2 (for a staggering amount of minis)...

As a completionist, gonna have to stay away I think, but I'll keep an eye on KSexclus for now.

On one hand, the minis do look good, if not great. Otoh this being just Weeping Peninsula+ Limgrave (with the first legacy dungeon) for $500 all-in makes me think the whole thing (if other zones ever release, which comments indicate they are already planning on expansions) will be well north of $1000, if not $2000.

We'd be looking at
- Liurnia + Raya Lucaria
- Caelid + Redmane Castle
- Undergrounds (Ainsel, Siofra...) + Mogwyn palace
- Altus Plateau + Leyndell
- Mount Gelmir + Volcano Manor
- Forbidden lands/ Mountaintop of giants/ Consecrated Snowfields
- Crumbling Farum Azula + Haligtree
- Ashen Capital/ Shunning grounds/ ending

Even grouping those by 2 (for a staggering amount of minis)...

As a completionist, gonna have to stay away I think, but I'll keep an eye on KSexclus for now.
Yeah, there's a definite potential for an entire retail set to cost thousands of dollars even before the KS exclusive expansions get figured into it. It's a hell of commitment for folks that want to have everything by the end.

It puts yet another underline on just how massive Elden Ring is as a video game in terms of sheer content. Even with the reused enemies and bosses, it's still a metric fuckton.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
This game, like any other Steamforged game, is a deal. Because after expending hundreds of your greens on it, and playing it one time with your friends, you will never be interested in playing this or other board game. I think it's a really good proposition for your wallet.

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Are they aiming doing the rest of the game ? If so,seriously what will be the total cost for someone who wants it all ? This is like 15% of the game

If they arent, what is the point for playing just the starting area ?

Im glad this exists,because more Elden Ring in every media is good,but this is a hard pass for me ,not even talking about the money perspective