• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Some questions before buying:
- Is the dialogue more Fallout 4 or Fallout NV? ie Dialogue wheel versus text choices, more than four dialogue options
- Can you turn off quest markers and still find your way to objectives using directions and landmarks, like in old cRPGs?
- How varied can builds be? Can you multi-class?
- Are there many smaller towns and settlements outside of larger cities? Do the cities feel large? (ie Novigrad versus a city in Skyrim)
- Will skills and choices lock you out of quests and options, like in Age of Decadence? Do you have to commit and specialize? (I prefer that over being a jack-of-all-trades like in the Bethesda games)

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some questions before buying:
- Is the dialogue more Fallout 4 or Fallout NV? ie Dialogue wheel versus text choices, more than four dialogue options
- Can you turn off quest markers and still find your way to objectives using directions and landmarks, like in old cRPGs?
- How varied can builds be? Can you multi-class?
- Are there many smaller towns and settlements outside of larger cities? Do the cities feel large? (ie Novigrad versus a city in Skyrim)
- Will skills and choices lock you out of quests and options, like in Age of Decadence? Do you have to commit and specialize? (I prefer that over being a jack-of-all-trades like in the Bethesda games)

-Very few dialogue options, but closer to NV than 4. You usually only have 3-4 options, but they're VERY distinct, not just variations on 'I agree' like FO4.
-Sometimes. It's not consistent, though.
-You can vary your build a little, but it's primarily a melee game. Until you reach mid-late game, you can't really go entirely ranged, though you can start melee and gradually shift more ranged.
-Yes, lots of small settlements/towns. There's about five bigger cities that are all, I'd say, around as big as Solitude in Skyrim. Nothing remotely Novigrad sized.
-Yes to choices, no to skills kind of. You can get a lot of attribute/skill points to multiclass more, but the more you do it, the more it affects your 'cold meter', which turns you emotionless and locks you out of some dialogue/skills/stuff. Generally, you lock yourself out of stuff through choices. You can only join one faction, the others are locked forever. Quest choices have a lot of significance, too, at least as much as New Vegas if not more.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The feeling when you go from a pathetic sack of shit to an unstoppable god in this game is just so rewarding. You have to WORK for it, and that's not something that any other developer offers the player.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
-Yes, lots of small settlements/towns. There's about five bigger cities that are all, I'd say, around as big as Solitude in Skyrim. Nothing remotely Novigrad sized.
-Yes to choices, no to skills kind of. You can get a lot of attribute/skill points to multiclass more, but the more you do it, the more it affects your 'cold meter', which turns you emotionless and locks you out of some dialogue/skills/stuff. Generally, you lock yourself out of stuff through choices. You can only join one faction, the others are locked forever. Quest choices have a lot of significance, too, at least as much as New Vegas if not more.
The part about the towns is great, but I'm impressed by the comment on quest choices. That was one of NV's biggest strengths; if this can match that, I'll be happy.

What about the feel of the world? Do the NPCs and the settlements feel lively and reactive?

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The part about the towns is great, but I'm impressed by the comment on quest choices. That was one of NV's biggest strengths; if this can match that, I'll be happy.

What about the feel of the world? Do the NPCs and the settlements feel lively and reactive?
I don't know what to compare it to. People react to you sneaking around, going into places you shouldn't be and such. Berserkers react to you using your jetpack or "Pip-Boy" in their town. They move around during the day and sleep during the night. It's nothing super advanced.

Edit: Don't get caught stealing or draw your weapon. It's on a decent level if you ask me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this lives up to the praise. This protagonist already seems like the most generic and dull I've seen in any RPG I've ever played. Default Shepard looked equally bland but at least he had an interesting backstory.

If you're going to have the player control a preset character in an RPG, they have to be more interesting than this

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks incredibly interesting but I heard the combat is atrocious Eurojank and the game controls terribly and I'm not sure I want to have to deal with that.

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
I kept my eye on it since it was released. Reviews being not that positive refrain me from getting it.

I can see that it might be more interesting that it looks. Still an heavy choice. The last piranha entry was for me a dreadful experience.

Will keep an eye on it though. Benefit of the doubt.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like Jax. He starts out generic but he subverts it pretty consistently if you go the emotional route. He's kind of like Renegade Shepard in that respect, but less sociopathic and more impulsive.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm hungry for an expansive RPG and this thread has convinced me to pick this game up... but at a much lowered price point, not when it's $80 Canadian plus 15% tax.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For reference, this is one of the smaller (but plot relevant) settlements:

24724676958_824ba68d88_o.jpg

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So just purchased this game, currently downloading on stram.

I'm going in totally blind aside from accidentally reading about a jet pack and combat rythym. Wish me luck Era!

Deleted member 33567

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
So just purchased this game, currently downloading on stram.

I'm going in totally blind aside from accidentally reading about a jet pack and combat rythym. Wish me luck Era!

Hope you enjoy it, I'm having a good time with it. There is a real feeling of having to earn your way forward.

Also like having to make genuine choices regarding quest outcomes that block off other quests makes your actions consequential.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hope you enjoy it, I'm having a good time with it. There is a real feeling of having to earn your way forward.

Also like having to make genuine choices regarding quest outcomes that block off other quests makes your actions consequential.
Sounds good!

And I'm sure I'll find some enjoyment. I have a soft spot for janky rpgs. One of my favourites was divinity 2 eco draconis which was janky as fuck.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I beat it after about 60 hours on hard.

Not going to repeat the list of all the pros and cons the game has.
Just wanted to say I enjoyed it a lot. There's something about PB games that makes them really rewarding/addictive to play for me (I'm especially in love with Gothic / Gothic 2). Overall, Elex improves upon the last Risen games at least. Better difficulty curve, more interesting story and characters. More fun to play than most RPG's in any case, so I agree with the OP.

Really excited now for whatever game PB will be working on next.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Narrative intent doesn't excuse the dialogue and design

You can write and portray "brainwashed soldier" without the character looking like the default model in a character creator.

I disagree. He's an albed. They all talk the same, they have all lost their hair, pigmentation, emotions etc because of their interaction with elex. There's a compelling story reason why he looks the way he does and talk the way he does. It's intentional design and its not objectively bad. I like it, you dont its that simple.

irradiance

Oct 30, 2017
I disagree. He's an albed. They all talk the same, they have all lost their hair, pigmentation, emotions etc because of their interaction with elex. There's a compelling story reason why he looks the way he does and talk the way he does. It's intentional design and its not objectively bad. I like it, you dont its that simple.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. But overall the game feels more like someone just went crazy on an asset store weekend sale with little regard to how it all was going to fit together.

Last edited:

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
I did not know that Piranha Bytes made a new game. Thank you for making a thread to tell us all about the game, I doubt I would have heard of it anywhere else.

Loved Gothic, one of the first RPG experiences for me as a kid in fact. Was a bit sad to watch them lose their ways after Gothic 3 but it seems once they started working on their Risen series they got back into shape again. Nice to see.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. But overall the game feels more like someone just went crazy on an asset store weekend sale with little regard to how it all was going to fit together.

That's not far off from the mark I think, especially considering the fact that there are only two different female faces in the entire game, i.e. Nasty and every other female.

there must be a crazy amount of incest ongoing on Magalan

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The feeling when you go from a pathetic sack of shit to an unstoppable god in this game is just so rewarding. You have to WORK for it, and that's not something that any other developer offers the player.
This so much. I'm 16 hours in. Just made it to level 11 and finally have a nice sword and plasma rifle. Up until now I had to complete most quests by luring high level enemies into other high level enemies for some good ol fashion infighting (which is awesome that this is a viable tactic)

I'm at a point now where I
wiped out all the Alb soldiers in the Converter North East of the Domed City
and am so excited to start exploring more areas I was scared to go to before lol

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://kotaku.com/elex-is-the-biggest-trashfire-ive-played-all-year-but-1821053285

Patricia Herandez wrote about it for Kotaku and goes into what makes the game so compelling despite it also being a mess in many aspects. Interesting to see perspective of more people that weren't neccessarily used to the Pirahna Bytes style getting into it.

I'm glad it got some buzz, but man, a lot of this article made me facepalm. What is it with mainstream journalists and this whole "IT TOOK ME FORTY MINUTES TO KILL EACH ENEMY, THE GAME'S VERY SLOW"?

Like...if you can't kill it in ten hits, just run away. You don't -have- to beat everything you fight.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm glad it got some buzz, but man, a lot of this article made me facepalm. What is it with mainstream journalists and this whole "IT TOOK ME FORTY MINUTES TO KILL EACH ENEMY, THE GAME'S VERY SLOW"?

Like...if you can't kill it in ten hits, just run away. You don't -have- to beat everything you fight.

Yeah, indeed. People have been conditioned to expect to steamroll every enemy in the opening part of a game. Don't be ashamed to admit that you suck, just jetpack away for fuck's sake.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, indeed. People have been conditioned to expect to steamroll every enemy in the opening part of a game. Don't be ashamed to admit that you suck, just jetpack away for fuck's sake.

Yeah. I feel like a lot of them missed the fact that 90% of early quests really don't require you to fight, even if the quest item's surrounded by enemies. "Snatch and grab" was my go-to tactic for the first ten hours and it worked out great.

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Gothic 3 as much as I hate ELEX.

I'm sorry OP, but the Piranha Bytes magic didn't worked for me this time :(. It had a lot of potential, but I can't like this game at all. And I tried.

Last edited:

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To bad this game wasn't on sale lately, still $60 on the Xbox digital store. Looks interesting but not touching it till it hits around $20. I like their RPGs from the past and know what to expect but no way I'm paying full price.

It's on the Xbox One X Enhanced list I'll probably pick itup then.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on further patching?

I believe they did plenty of post release work on their older games but I checked their forums and couldn't find anything.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I would never expect Kotaku of all places to hype me the most about Elex but Hernandez did it. Apart from tech issues (which I am sure I will have no big problem with on PC) she made it sound exactly like what I am into. Once I get through my current backlog, Elex will be next.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've still yet to start this game. I've been waiting since release for the damn X patch and there hasn't been a peep about it. They were outspoken about the machine before release and was listed as a future enhanced title. I would have just bought the PC version if I'd known it was going to be this long a wait.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to do with the first cleric quest.
called "high tech allies", I'm supposed to find out who is selling chems. I accused a guy to Reinhold, he said thanks I'll look into it. Now when I try to tall to him he just says some generic phrase. He is the only thing marked on the map in the high tech allies quest, and the quest still says I need to find the chem dealers. What am I supposed to do now?

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is romance in this (like Witcher)?
Actually there is some optional romance with the female companions after going through their side quests, but it's not executed well as to be expected. I was surprised that romance options were a thing in the first place but it's definitely shoe-horned in.

Oct 26, 2017
Now at level 23, and finally feeling like a total bad ass blowing everything up with grenades (grenades are totally OP with the 2 skill-ups) and beating enemies down with my upgraded two-handed axe and tier 2 Outlaw armor. Finally beyond just 'trying to survive' and actually going out to harvest supplies and money to make advancement easier...and lay waste to my foes! I still have quite a bit of outstanding quests in the Hort & Dome to do at this point, as well as the other main quest lines.

I made it a point to note which enemies were giving me a ton of trouble earlier, and went back to grind them into a fine paste with much glee (and explosions).

I'd been using Ray up to now, but after meeting Caja I've decided to have her tag along to further the companion quest line there, seems a bit more inspired than Ray's at this point (though I'm at maybe 4/10 of those...maybe something better happens soon). Haven't really used the others much at all yet.

Fun times!