• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see people are still enjoying the game. I got burnt out around 2.0 and haven't been back in...every major patch, I'll read impressions and nothing sounds worth jumping back in yet =(

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I am eagerly waiting for the Q1 2018 update. Everything I'm doing in game is just killing time until then. 2.4 has (so far at least) been a nothing patch for me. Except for the improved galaxy map route plotter, but that's just a nice minor quality of life thing and nothing major at all. I did recently take a four month break from the game though, that helped a lot, lol.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
I am eagerly waiting for the Q1 2018 update. Everything I'm doing in game is just killing time until then.

Why are you doing it then? I admire your stalwart persistence, but if you characterize your playing as merely "killing time" yourself, why are you doing it? Aren't there other things you'd like to play because you'd get a fresh experience out of it rather than compulsively killing time in Elite?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you doing it then? I admire your stalwart persistence, but if you characterize your playing as merely "killing time" yourself, why are you doing it? Aren't there other things you'd like to play because you'd get a fresh experience out of it rather than compulsively killing time in Elite?

Because I really wanted to go on this group circumnavigation expedition that I'm out on now just for the comaradarie of it, but the mere thought of flying a 340,000 ly exploration trip in the mundane beige normalized galaxy we have now filled me with so much dread and apprehension that I lost all will to play the game at all. However, sometime in early 2018 that is all going to change as the Q1 update will make planets great again, finally bringing color and interesting features to them. At that point I'll have plenty to explore out there, so for now I'm just flying along with the fleet, biding my time until Frontier fixes the planets once and for all.

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the Xbox One X to arrive before I jump back in. Also the 2018 update interests me a lot too.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My buddies lasted 3 days of Elite before uninstalling this past week. I always feel guilty talking about the game with anyone outside of the group here because people become interested...and then they play it. Only to be rightly shocked it's so underdeveloped content-wise.

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game, but haven't played it in a while and haven't been following the news on it. I thought 2.4 was going to bring back the Thargoids and have some type of war going on with them? Based on the lack of enthusiasm posted above, I take it that's not the case.

patbot

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about buying this game right now with the ongoing steam halloween sale. I´ve read about what the horizon season pass contains and tbh I´m not really interested that much in landing on planets, forging new weapons etc. but rather just exploration and cargo runs. Would it make sense for me just to buy the original Elite Dangerous? Or would I need Horizons for future updates?

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about buying this game right now with the ongoing steam halloween sale. I´ve read about what the horizon season pass contains and tbh I´m not really interested that much in landing on planets, forging new weapons etc. but rather just exploration and cargo runs. Would it make sense for me just to buy the original Elite Dangerous? Or would I need Horizons for future updates?

Considering the cost differential is around £13 in the sale I'd say get Horizons. If you don't, it won't really affect exploration but you would be denied access to any planet based outposts, severely limiting not only trading, but also curtailing your ability to take on a number of other mission types. It would also lock you out from accessing engineers who can be used to improve every system in your ship, opening up huge avenues for personalisation of the experience. Also, as you mentioned, it's likely that ED + Horizons will become the de facto base game at some point in the future, necessitating a purchase at that point anyway, assuming you're still playing.

tl;dr In it for a quick blast? Don't bother. Expect to be playing in the longer term? Get Horizons

patbot

Oct 28, 2017
Considering the cost differential is around £13 in the sale I'd say get Horizons. If you don't, it won't really affect exploration but you would be denied access to any planet based outposts, severely limiting not only trading, but also curtailing your ability to take on a number of other mission types. It would also lock you out from accessing engineers who can be used to improve every system in your ship, opening up huge avenues for personalisation of the experience. Also, as you mentioned, it's likely that ED + Horizons will become the de facto base game at some point in the future, necessitating a purchase at that point anyway, assuming you're still playing.

tl;dr In it for a quick blast? Don't bother. Expect to be playing in the longer term? Get Horizons

Thanks, excellent and very helpful post. Went for the CMDR edition as it was the same price as horizons. Hoping for a gentle learning curve...

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I would recommend anyone wanting to try out Elite today to also pick up Horizons. It really does add a lot to the game, especially the planet surface stuff which really opens up so much of the Elite galaxy. Playing the game without Horizons just isn't giving anyone a good indication of how the game actually is, IMHO.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is your post a different color?

Edit: Oh it highlights the post when selected from notifications.

RedRooster

Oct 27, 2017
Saskatoon, SK
This game intrigues me mightily, on PS4, but I've yet to catch it on sale.
So the Deluxe Edition in the PS store for $80 is just the regular game and Horizons Season pass, which are $40 each anyways? If I didn't dislike physical media so much, the Legendary Edition at Best Buy seems to be the best deal.

Is it worth just getting the base version at all?

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

No. Horizons adds quite a bit and of course you'll benefit from any additions + changes to planetary surfaces in 2018. The Engineers, as grindy RNG-shitty and ill thought out as their implementation may be, also dictate the meta game and are exclusive to Horizons. Any narrative efforts Frontier does with crashed ships, Alien bases etc. also often play out in part on planet surfaces, which are inaccessible without Horizons.

The legendary edition seems to be your best possible bang for the buck, sales notwithstanding. Holiday season is around the corner after all.

StonedRider

Oct 27, 2017
Latvia, Riga
Speaking about engineers, I remember, Frontier promised to address engineers RNG issues, make it less RNG. Does somebody notice any change after 2.4? I played just couple of hours after 2.4 trying to hunt thargoids and did not open the game since.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking about engineers, I remember, Frontier promised to address engineers RNG issues, make it less RNG. Does somebody notice any change after 2.4? I played just couple of hours after 2.4 trying to hunt thargoids and did not open the game since.
That depends on what promise you're referring to. I can't remember or didn't hear about any general promise they made for 2.4. Do you have any source?

As for general reduced RNG-ness of Engineer rolls, they did that rather soon after 2.1 release in summer '16. Just as the number of dropped materials was increased. But that's an old hat. For the updates after (!) 2.4, that is the 4 announced "Beyond" updates in 2018 they' ve promised to make Engineers rolls progressive. That means the roll will always result in something better than you already have.

Their description was at best however brief. We have no idea how the actual implementation will look like.

Last edited:

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Engineers RNG was being addressed in the Q1 2018 update IIRC. They said that any engineer roll would be guaranteed to be better than the one you already have.

EDIT
Just read up, sorry Burny it's too early in the morning

Oct 25, 2017
Progressive rolls are a great step forward, but I always kinda wished that they'd ditch engineers completely and just add specialized vendors at their locations. Where you can buy expensive components that are already engineered one way in like 3 different grades for VERY large sums of money. Kind of like power play components and enhanced performance thrusters. And each of those components would come with an engineer slot and you can use the materials to craft little bonuses that are mostly just convenience things or feel more like minor tweaks that don't feel necessary.

I personally think it's more fun buying unique components and fitting them into a ship than it is rolling RNG and getting god rolls.

My main beef with the way engineers are set up now is that it feels like you can get everything on every ship due to them and because of that the only thing that ends up matters is the number of hard points on the ship. The cool ship to ship balancing pre horizons doesn't realllly exist anymore. Like yeah obviously some ships are gonna have better speed, defenses and FSD range, but the ships that were in a good place before engineers just end up being in a better place, and the niche ships just end up having no place.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
My main beef with the way engineers are set up now is that it feels like you can get everything on every ship due to them and because of that the only thing that ends up matters is the number of hard points on the ship. The cool ship to ship balancing pre horizons doesn't realllly exist anymore. Like yeah obviously some ships are gonna have better speed, defenses and FSD range, but the ships that were in a good place before engineers just end up being in a better place, and the niche ships just end up having no place.

Completely agree. It always makes me sad that FD have come up with a number of role specific ships that are comprehensively outperformed in their chosen role by multi role vessels. That surely can't be how they envisaged it

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This game intrigues me mightily, on PS4, but I've yet to catch it on sale.
So the Deluxe Edition in the PS store for $80 is just the regular game and Horizons Season pass, which are $40 each anyways? If I didn't dislike physical media so much, the Legendary Edition at Best Buy seems to be the best deal.

I started with the base version on PS4, telling myself that I'd wait for a sale to pick up Horizons. But I caved a couple of months down the line. Going surface prospecting and driving a SRV around in low gravity was just too tempting! If you can hold out, the Deluxe Edition may go on sale again. But otherwise if you're really keen, there's still plenty to keep you going in the base game.

Also first Reset post!

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, thanks for getting an OT started! I just got here a week ago. Looking forward to complaining on a brand new forum!

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Hello, all. I have the OG game on PC after the Kickstarter, but wondered about picking it up on PS4 to play with buddies, even if it is just for a bit of dogfighting. Any thoughts?

Any comparison with Valkyrie would be most useful, as one of my buddies has been playing that in VR, while two of us have been playing OG Dangerous on PC. Trying to decide on one to buy to play together on PS4. Cheers.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Want me to get ownership transferred back?

And have you joined the discord?

Up to you! I'm still a junior since I joined after open registration, so couldn't have made it then anyway :P

I don't have the discord info, can someone PM me? Just got my computer hooked back up after a while being off PC, gonna catch up with the game.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Next week's Thursday livestream will have developer Anthony Ross as a guest, and will focus on the Stellar Forge! Hopefully we get some more previews of the improved planet surfaces coming in Q1 2018.

GroundCombo

Oct 27, 2017
Made it to Colonia via Sag A*, 77M from exploration data and a whole lot of first discoveries. That was satisfying. I'll probably take a break before starting towards the bubble.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Not strictly Elite related, but it's still the game that spawned it all for me: The triple monitor mount is taking shape. It's still flawed, as the adjustable angles leave a bit of room, resulting in the outer monitors hanging done some milllimeters. I'll think of a way to support them better. But it saves a hell of a lot of room on the desk.

img_20171104_000129_kh9s71.jpg

Really happy I got two monitors of my model used (still on their own stands). Ultra wide view for sim games is a bloody revelation:

img_20171019_215133wjpia.jpg

Started the planning in summer (MayCAD screenshot, used parts from ITEM system, instead of MayTech though). The rig itself is pretty much done now. In hindsight I'll admit that the "pedal 'pit" is overdone. The beams are heavy and stable enough, that all vertical beams but those supporting the angled bracket for the pedals are probably unecessary...

simrack_schreibtischubspk.png

I thought I wouldn't have to think about the monitor mount for some months, possibly years. Since I got the triple setup earlier than expected though:

monitor_staenderf2so6.png

Last edited:

Staab

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I admire your craftiness Burny, always enjoyed reading your posts about your setups getting increasingly sick !
Immersion really is the key to enjoying Elite and I bet you've got it good like that :o

Not diggin the Thargoid war too much for now, barely logging on to play these days, really hope the next update brings much needed updates to the base functionalities...

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys,

Just started this game and I'm somewhat enjoying it. Are there any decent resources for new people to learn best way to make some money before they go and do whatever they wish?

Also man this game needs some AOL improvements - having to, say, request docking every time I want to land gets tedious...

Im saving up for a Cobra (and a Viper?) and for now looking to just get a ship that does it all. Mainly only doing data missions as salvage/delivery missions fill up my cargo hold way to quickly. Not touch anything regards combat and staying on solo play until I've got a better ship and idea what I want to do. I have Horizons too which seems a good add-on but everything kinda feels shallow right now.

ps3ud0 8)

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys,

Just started this game and I'm somewhat enjoying it. Are there any decent resources for new people to learn best way to make some money before they go and do whatever they wish?

Also man this game needs some AOL improvements - having to, say, request docking every time I want to land gets tedious...

Im saving up for a Cobra (and a Viper?) and for now looking to just get a ship that does it all. Mainly only doing data missions as salvage/delivery missions fill up my cargo hold way to quickly. Not touch anything regards combat and staying on solo play until I've got a better ship and idea what I want to do. I have Horizons too which seems a good add-on but everything kinda feels shallow right now.

ps3ud0 8)

Data deliveries are the best way to go in a Sidewinder imo. It's a fun little ship to fly but the lack of cargo space precludes using it for much else. I use mine as a scanning platform now.

I agree with your choice of Cobra (mk III definitely) as a 2nd ship as it's far more capable of multiprocessor and is also extremely fun to fly.

It's one of the perceived failings of Elite that people have to go outside the game to external resources in order to find information that arguably should be in the game and this has resulted in a huge number of external websites and other resources. In terms of finding a specific piece of info or insight, the official frontier forums are pretty good, although searching via Google is more efficient as it'll take you right to what you want. Bear in mind that the game has evolved over time and what may have been true one or two years ago may not be now.

In the early stages the game can feel shallow, but as your understanding increases, the scope of what you can achieve also increases massively. More than any other there's no right or wrong way to play this

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thamk
Data deliveries are the best way to go in a Sidewinder imo. It's a fun little ship to fly but the lack of cargo space precludes using it for much else. I use mine as a scanning platform now.

I agree with your choice of Cobra (mk III definitely) as a 2nd ship as it's far more capable of multiprocessor and is also extremely fun to fly.

It's one of the perceived failings of Elite that people have to go outside the game to external resources in order to find information that arguably should be in the game and this has resulted in a huge number of external websites and other resources. In terms of finding a specific piece of info or insight, the official frontier forums are pretty good, although searching via Google is more efficient as it'll take you right to what you want. Bear in mind that the game has evolved over time and what may have been true one or two years ago may not be now.

In the early stages the game can feel shallow, but as your understanding increases, the scope of what you can achieve also increases massively. More than any other there's no right or wrong way to play this
Thanks for the response - not sure if this was the right thread. It's a good game just has a few quirks that as a beginner (I've only played for a solid day) makes me scratch my head as it's not obvious or explained or just plain missing. I'll definitely will use Google.

One question though, when it's comes to builds what's the best ship/setup for something that primarily will be used for data/bounties. Tried my first bounty and was swiftly dealt with so way underequipped so thinking I need a million credits to invest into a new ship.

I'm not sure how the game develops so just thinking that's a good way to make money for now. Perhaps the depth comes with forming clans and alliances etc?

ps3ud0 8)

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Once you get into a cobra and upgrade it a bit then bounty hunting is viable. Try looking at the Community Goals each week and see if they are something you can contribute to. Even a minimal contribution just to get onto the reward board is worth the time

StonedRider

Oct 27, 2017
Latvia, Riga
Hi guys,

Keep in mind, Frontier removed all exploits to make easy money (afaik). There is high probability you will find some old money making guide which is out of date now.

For starting capital, I would recommend you to farm High intensity resource extraction sites, just stick with system security ships and shoot pirates when they are almost done. You will earn several millions credits after hour or two.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I kind of wish that frontier would add some kind of aim correction / stabilization / magnetizem to HOTAS users. I was getting really into using fixed weapons because if you ask me they're the most fun way to fly and shoot but I had to switch to mouse and keyboard to make it work well. Well that or my alternative was dropping 200 dollars on a world class HOTAS setup that had insane precision, but even then it's not so much the precision. It's just way easier to track a target with my mouse than it is with a joystick. I know how much I have to keep dragging my mouse to maintain tracking and my left hand is free to do all sorts of maneuvering. I don't think it would be particularly gamebreaking either but I am sure people would complain / scoff at the suggestion lol.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone full gimbal so far because it's more forgiving while I'm still, a few dozen hours in, learning the nuances of combat. Next on the agenda is fa-off

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind, Frontier removed all exploits to make easy money (afaik). There is high probability you will find some old money making guide which is out of date now.

For starting capital, I would recommend you to farm High intensity resource extraction sites, just stick with system security ships and shoot pirates when they are almost done. You will earn several millions credits after hour or two.
Yeah think I've already come across that. Just hoping a million credits will be enough to get a maxed out Cobra together. I suspect not...

ps3ud0 8)

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Just hoping a million credits will be enough to get a maxed out Cobra together. I suspect not...

Not far off. There's a few things you can comfortably leave at D like sensors and life support.

Remember to leave enough spare cash for at least a couple of rebuys

EDIT

Memory playing tricks on me. To fully A rate a Cobra will cost about 5-6M but if you do it piecemeal you can get there

Fully D rating everything (if you can't get to A, D is next best as it's the lightweight modules) together with a 4c biweave shield will cost about 750k and this will be more than capable

Last edited:

StonedRider

Oct 27, 2017
Latvia, Riga
You know, I kind of wish that frontier would add some kind of aim correction / stabilization / magnetizem to HOTAS users. I was getting really into using fixed weapons because if you ask me they're the most fun way to fly and shoot but I had to switch to mouse and keyboard to make it work well. Well that or my alternative was dropping 200 dollars on a world class HOTAS setup that had insane precision, but even then it's not so much the precision. It's just way easier to track a target with my mouse than it is with a joystick. I know how much I have to keep dragging my mouse to maintain tracking and my left hand is free to do all sorts of maneuvering. I don't think it would be particularly gamebreaking either but I am sure people would complain / scoff at the suggestion lol.

Never played Elite with a mouse, do you setup mouse X-axis as Roll or Jaw? Frankly, I do not see the difference in aiming process between mouse and HOTAS if you setup it as Roll (I assume you're using relative input mode). I can see the problem when you use gamepad analog stick, but HOTAS stick has good motion range and you can consistently turn your ship as slow and smooth as you want to.

One thing I hate is stick twist for Jaw, but I have no place for pedals and usually play the game on my recliner in open position anyway :)

Hmm.. now I reread you post and see you keep dragging the mouse to turn, does that mean you turn off relative controls? It is hard for me to imagine how it works.

Oct 25, 2017

There is a bit of "last inch" locking even with fixed weapons Notice it when targeting modules or distant ship, it's a pretty tight circle around target but if you get close enough it moves to the target

Gun convergence though is another issue.