RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they are adding light flora to the traditional ice/rock planets we could already land on that we can find and scan for profit. Maybe some wind patterns and perhaps volcanos and other surface features that will react to the hot/cold temps that come with a the day/night cycles? But it looks like no weather or dense flora anytime soon and fauna at all yet, so I'm getting the feeling that weapons will be not a big part of this expansion. Outside of shooting other players, I guess? More hand held exploratory and discovery instruments. Still hoping we get dense alien jungles before this game reaches EOL.
The video already mentions cryovolcanoes. But would we get lava volcanoes? Are we gonna be landing on metal-rich worlds?

When they first showed off the teaser footage I expected we'd be able to land on everything except Earth-likes, Water worlds, and Ammonia worlds.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
Will we be able to walk inside our ships or space stations? They didn't touch that part in the video at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Will we be able to walk inside our ships or space stations? They didn't touch that part in the video at all.
I don't think we know yet.

Okay, that makes my choice whether to continue my journey on Xbox or on PC using VR far easier.

I'm looking forward to Odyssey and I hope Elite Dangerous gets a next-gen update because the loading times on Xbox One when exiting frameshift are atrocious.
The reason why I switched to PC in the first place.
FYI: they said it won't be there *at launch*. Assume it will come at some point.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
FYI: they said it won't be there *at launch*. Assume it will come at some point.

Ohh, okay. That's ... making it harder.
I wish Microsoft would just announce VR or Oculus support for Xbox... *sigh*
I have more hours sunk into the Xbox version.

Or FD should introduce cross-save, that would be big. But they backpedaled on cross-play, so I doubt that there'll be any "cross"-stuff in the future.
But never say never.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still waking up and scrolled passed this on my phone. Thought it said Ellen Degeneres Odyssey and was so confused lmao.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If I had to guess, Odyssey will be a separate launch the same way Horizons is and it just won't support VR at all.
No need for guessing, they already confirmed Odyssey and any content arriving with it will not support VR. It "may come at a later date", but the community on Reddit and their forum agree it's likely the Elite VR experience begins and ends with Horizons, given previous "maybe later" statements. You will still be able to play Horizons/Vanilla in VR though, of course.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
No need for guessing, they already confirmed Odyssey and any content arriving with it will not support VR. It "may come at a later date", but the community on Reddit and their forum agree it's likely the Elite VR experience begins and ends with Horizons, given previous "maybe later" statements.
Oh yeah, we knew that. The question I think Hylian was asking was do they make you just take the headset off for the on foot stuff? I'm saying my guess is Odyssey as an .exe won't let you use VR at all even in the ships.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Oh yeah, we knew that. The question I think Hylian was asking was do they make you just take the headset off for the on foot stuff? I'm saying my guess is Odyssey as an .exe won't let you use VR at all even in the ships.
Yeah that's what I mean :) Odyssey will be a seperate launch item, same as Horizons.
So if you start Elite Odyssey, you don't get VR modes at all, even in the ship. If you start Elite Horizons, you do, but none of the Odyssey changes. So you're right :)

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road to Odyssey Part 1 - One Giant Leap

Also for whatever reason, it only just struck me that this is coming out just after the new consoles launch.

I assume that means a nice meaty upgrade on the graphics, right? E:D has always seemed to scale well to hardware.

It looked great on One X, but I think between this and a performance bump, I'd finally jump back in for a few hundred hours more next gen.

Well that certainly looks boringly barren, can't imagine there'd be heaps of things to do and find if Horizons is any indication.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I've tinkered around with Elite here and there but had trouble because I wasn't very good at the space combat and that space combat is the bread and butter of the game. Have they added more meat to the bones beyond that?
A bad first impression is given by the tutorial: after a balance update, the ship you are dogfighting against became veeeeeeeeeeeery strong. And they never modified the tutorial mission, so you are basically istantly in an expert mission with no hope if you are, well, someone who is playing a tutorial to learn the basic!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Game desperately needs the ability to fly over and explore on foot earth-like planets.
The problem is figuring out the alien flora and fauna in a way that feels scientifically plausible using procedural generation, at 1:1 scale. Just rendering 1:1 scale forests and shit will be hard as hell, though Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 might be a good preview of what that's like from a tech perspective.

I think the next step might be letting players enter the atmospheres of Ammonia worlds, then maybe water worlds (for whatever reason), then un-colonized Earth-likes. Cities will probably be the last thing because that's the one thing nobody has really figured out how to procedurally generate yet and still get good quality results.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Despite having put 000s of hours into the oringal elite on the BBC-B and C-64, and then Frontier on the Amiga, I'm still on the fence about getting this, as I'm not sure I can manage the time commitment required, which is the main reason I dropped NMS too.

Which is a bummer, bc I've loved Elite since first playing it back in 1984 when I was 11 years old and would love to explore the galaxy in my MKIII given some of the YT videos I've seen of stellar objects, space stations and so on.

Altho I'm happy to learn that docking is easier than the 8-bit version - I remember the joyous moment I could afford a docking computer and never had to worry about the process again lol.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I hope walking around ships and stations is fully in development and just needs more time. Planets are amazing and awesome but I'm fine enjoying them from space since they take so much work to develop.

Small things like seeing people board your ship and having social areas that your crew can relax in would really compliment the game imo.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I hope walking around ships and stations is fully in development and just needs more time. Planets are amazing and awesome but I'm fine enjoying them from space since they take so much work to develop.

Small things like seeing people board your ship and having social areas that your crew can relax in would really compliment the game imo.
Depending on how the tech works getting people to be able to land on planets might not be more work than letting players explore cities and social areas on foot, or it might even be less work. It's probably largely a matter of advancing the procedural generation tech. Natural terrain is one thing, inhabited cities is probably a whole other challenge entirely.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how the tech works getting people to be able to land on planets might not be more work than letting players explore cities and social areas on foot, or it might even be less work. It's probably largely a matter of advancing the procedural generation tech. Natural terrain is one thing, inhabited cities is probably a whole other challenge entirely.

Any sort of open world exploration is a huge undertaking. That's my fear with everything about planets.

On a space station, Frontier could just model the landing pad and model a few levels like a traditional video game. Players imo would fully understand invisible walls and trams that only go to one destination. Don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of work, but it could happen in a single expansion.

I love the current planets in game and I love the improvements and additional planets in Odyssey, but progress is so incredibly slow due to the scope. Rivers, forests, full sized volcanoes, rain, animal migrations, plant seasons, atmospheric ship effects, tides, dust storms, etc. will all take so much work even before they get to inhabited cities.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Any sort of open world exploration is a huge undertaking. That's my fear with everything about planets.

On a space station, Frontier could just model the landing pad and model a few levels like a traditional video game. Players imo would fully understand invisible walls and trams that only go to one destination. Don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of work, but it could happen in a single expansion.

I love the current planets in game and I love the improvements and additional planets in Odyssey, but progress is so incredibly slow due to the scope. Rivers, forests, full sized volcanoes, rain, animal migrations, plant seasons, atmospheric ship effects, tides, dust storms, etc. will all take so much work even before they get to inhabited cities.
They'd still have to procedurally generate all that from station to station though. And I think the issue with procedurally generating inhabited spaces is there's much more scrutiny from players to make it look "natural". That's not as tough with terrain or even vegetation. No Man's Sky has space stations and on-planet stations but that game's art direction gives it some slack.

I think what you really want is the space stations and towns in Star Citizen -- if it ever gets done.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
They'd still have to procedurally generate all that from station to station though. And I think the issue with procedurally generating inhabited spaces is there's much more scrutiny from players to make it look "natural". That's not as tough with terrain or even vegetation. No Man's Sky has space stations and on-planet stations but that game's art direction gives it some slack.

I think what you really want is the space stations and towns in Star Citizen -- if it ever gets done.
The way I'm envisioning it is pretty much exactly how space stations work currently, where the same models are used over and over with minor changes. It would literally just be an updated hanger and pad model, the interior of a tram, and a plaza/concourse environment per station type. Procedural generation would be limited to the same functions it's currently used for; populating signs and npcs.

Again any sort of open world exploration is a huge undertaking. My perspective is all about avoiding the scope creep that has plagued Star Citizen. Planets need to be developed planet wide but space station interiors can be faked.

I guess I really just want friendly NPCs that I can talk face to face with as soon as possible. The reveal trailer gives me hope that we'll have squadmates when on foot (unless it's just telepresence shenanigans).

Grue

Sep 7, 2018

Man, I hope they get this right.

I think the E:D community often feels like the game is evolving too slowly; especially when things like NMS have changed so drastically from their base game, and already have on-foot exploration as part of the core gameplay.

And I won't lie, those static human models in the first shots of the 'pre-alpha footage' aren't encouraging - makes me curious why they even kept them in the trailer.

But personally, I think what E:D has set out to do is so much more ambitious, and I understand they will need and want to take their time making sure they don't break anything along the way. The idea we might get faction-based, dynamic NPCs out of this, which presumably might change depending on players affecting system alignments, is exciting to me.

I never actually engaged that much in the faction gameplay. But the idea the galaxy was alive and subject to player change made it feel so lived-in and alive, regardless of my own independence. The appeal of E:D to me is this immense, cold, apathetic simulation, which really doesn't care about insignificant old me tootling about the stars trying to make myself a living - but it did change depending on community action, which I was able to participate in if the whim ever took me.

I spent a crazy amount of time in this game when I first got my "cinder block" XBox One. In fact now I remember, it was the reason I bought the system in the first place.

I really hope it gets to the point where I feel able to lose myself in a few hundred extra hours into the game next gen.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Shit I didn't think they'd talk about actually spending a significant amount of time outside a ship. They make it sound like people might even be able to play without really flying at all.

From the sounds of it, it looks like my experience is gonna be grabbing samples off promising-looking planets out in The Black. At least that gives explorers an actual reason to land on planets.

Now I'm wondering if I should do my Sag A trip before or after this drops.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not keen on the airport terminal from hell look that SC uses and there's more of it here, but it'll be interesting to see how the on-foot missions stuff goes.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I haven't done much Horizons stuff. Are there already multiple settlements on planets? Right now I'm imagining on-foot gameplay would still involve SRVs and ships you'd use to get from place-to-place.

I really can't wait to see some uninterrupted gameplay of this in action.

Apparently new players will be able to choose between starting out on foot and in a Sidey. It seems like they're confident in the on-foot stuff.
Woah. I think ED would have to work really well as an FPS for them to be that confident.

I wonder what he trade-off will be -- will on-foot starters just start with the 30k that would've gone towards a Sidewinder?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Actually I haven't done much Horizons stuff. Are there already multiple settlements on planets? Right now I'm imagining on-foot gameplay would still involve SRVs and ships you'd use to get from place-to-place.

I really can't wait to see some uninterrupted gameplay of this in action.

Woah. I think ED would have to work really well as an FPS for them to be that confident.

I wonder what he trade-off will be -- will on-foot starters just start with the 30k that would've gone towards a Sidewinder?
It might only be a "cosmetic" choice, in that you're free to walk straight to your ship even if you choose to start out on foot.
But for them to allow that option, the on-foot gameplay (not to mention that first-time player impression) would still have to be strong.

As for the current settlements, they look very different to what was shown in the latest dev diary. They are a lot more dark and uninviting, but that's probably partly due to the lack of atmosphere, etc. They have varying degrees of security, and you can attack them or the sentinels/installations guarding them. Not sure if the existing ones will be added to or replaced.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all works in practice as well. The snippets shown look promising, and not only for alpha footage.