• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously because she's kicking off her campaign.

New York Times said:
Senator Elizabeth Warren, the Massachusetts Democrat who is running for her party's presidential nomination, has apologized to the Cherokee Nation for her decision to take a DNA test to prove her Native American ancestry, a move which angered some tribal leaders and ignited a significant political backlash. The apology comes as Ms. Warren is set to formally kick off her presidential run this month after recent visits to early nominating states like Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. It also comes after repeated calls for her to apologize from tribal leaders, political operatives, and her own advisers, who said her October decision to take the DNA test gave undue credence to the controversial claim that race could be determined by blood — and politically, played into President Trump's hands.

On Thursday, Ms. Warren called Bill John Baker, principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, to apologize for the DNA test, said Julie Hubbard, a spokeswoman for the tribe. She called it a "brief and private" conversation. The apology was first reported by The Intercept. Ms. Warren's campaign did not immediately respond to requests for comment. "I understand that she apologized for causing confusion on tribal sovereignty and tribal citizenship and the harm that has resulted," Ms. Hubbard said. "The chief and secretary of state appreciate that she has reaffirmed that she is not a Cherokee Nation citizen or a citizen of any tribal nation." The apology is a break from Ms. Warren's previous public stance, where she refused to admit fault.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe she fell for that trap.

Makes me think that she won't win the primary, and even if she did she'd get destroyed by Trump.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Good for her. I hope she can move forward now. What a goddamn embarrassment.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Great timing considering the other thread about the DNA test leading to family drama lol.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing was such a PR disaster, and anyone who thinks this is just going to go away (especially if she's the Dem nominee) is insane.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This is still gonna hang over her head for the rest of her political career, but good that she at least apologized.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
She should have apologized for even thinking about such garbage, not actually for doing it.

Especially after her loathsome calculations on standing rock...to even think of trying to use Natives ancestry for such a thing after not standing up for those people in the most critical time they needed help is heinous.

I agree with Elizabeth warren on many economic proposals of hers but this kind of shit just pisses me off more than anything.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
This is still gonna hang over her head for the rest of her political career, but good that she at least apologized.
Actually most people from native communities didn't give a shit. Or they understood where she was coming from. Some wanted a clarification, but that's it. It was the GOP and specifically Trump who made it such a big thing and tried to turn it into a point of embarrassment.

Articles came out when journalists finally asked native people and they were like "its a non-issue". So it probably won't hang anywhere except in certain circles.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me think that she won't win the primary, and even if she did she'd get destroyed by Trump.
This is a given. Trump has been dragging her image through the mud with conservatives for years before she even announced a run. Doesn't matter if his charges are baseless, or even offensive; we are living in a "post-truth" society after all...

poseph

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that people continue to judge her for this political gaffe and not her values and policy proposals.

Can't wait til Donald Fucking Trump gives the next-most progressive candidate a stupid nickname and they breathe the wrong way when trying to articulate a response.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
To me, the problem wasn't the DNA test, it's that she didn't reach out to leaders of the Cherokee Nation first. That's pretty basic stuff, and she made a pretty dumb mistake with the whole ordeal.

She's still my first pick right now, though.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
As inconsequential as this whole heritage thing is, I legitimately think this is why she doesn't have a shot at the presidency which is a shame because she has some great ideas. She would certainly be an excellent member of the next Dem President's cabinet, but I can't see her having a realistic shot at being the head honcho.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the day Elizabeth Warren became a candidate for the democratic ticket to potentially be nominated to contend for the presidency.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the right thing to do. Warren shouldn't have released the test in the first place but apologizing does make me look at her more positively, and I like her politics. If she won the primary I'd be pleased.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Warren won't survive the primary.. if she does, Trump will have a field day... I say this while still knowing she is probably the best candidate running/rumor to be running.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
She waited long enough to apologize that this is also a reminder of what happened lol

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Such an unforced error, what a pity. She is great senator. If she wins the primary, I hope she can stand Trump bringing this up every fucking 5 seconds. Sigh...

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This is a given. Trump has been dragging her image through the mud with conservatives for years before she even announced a run. Doesn't matter if his charges are baseless, or even offensive; we are living in a "post-truth" society after all...

This would happen with literally any other candidate, but in her case she failed to snap back at him in the way someone like AOC or Obama would. It's not about what they throw at them, it's how they respond.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
She waited long enough to apologize that this is also a reminder of what happened lol

I wonder if this was more of a response to the Starbucks' dude's comments/retweet.

She didn't expect a potential primary candidate to be going the racial slur route like Trump does.

Either way, she's never going to get past this.

I don't know how she can get into any debates because every single opponent is well within their rights to bring it up and put her on the defensive.

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Sucks that people continue to judge her for this political gaffe and not her values and policy proposals.

Can't wait til Donald Fucking Trump gives the next-most progressive candidate a stupid nickname and they breathe the wrong way when trying to articulate a response.

Oh, she'll be judged waaaaaaaay more harshly than him.

She should have reached out to and got approval from the Cherokee Nation. She didn't, and she took a step here to make something right. I admit that I'm afraid that, simply because she's a woman who (gasp!) didn't do something the right way, she'll be dragged through the mud.

The standards are pretty uneven, and it shows here, too.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After Trump, I'm *never* going to say that a politician is finished again.

That said, I see other candidates that are going to take the wind that should have been in her sail... And this story won't die partially because she won't let it.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
She deserves to get slammed for that decision, and a months-late apology is far, far too late. It speaks volumes about her inability to read the political landscape in addition to her inability to not use minorities as political platforms. She's a very competent leader with many great ideas, but this goes beyond a "yikes from me" meme and well into "yeah, you have no idea how to run a campaign" territory.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Actually most people from native communities didn't give a shit. Or they understood where she was coming from. Some wanted a clarification, but that's it. It was the GOP and specifically Trump who made it such a big thing and tried to turn it into a point of embarrassment.

Articles came out when journalists finally asked native people and they were like "its a non-issue". So it probably won't hang anywhere except in certain circles.

You say that like it was the native population wanting to use the guillotine.

White conservatives are gonna call her Pocahontas until she drops dead, because lol at the old white woman trying to call herself red. Meanwhile the left's gonna have to figure out if her strong policy making is worth her weak political instincts, because her falling for such an easy bait bodes poorly for her ability to handle Trump.