KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't confuse thinking joining UAW is bad with thinking unionizing is bad. It's like assuming you hate food because you don't enjoy broccoli.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An employer thinks unions are okay until his employees start unionizing. Definitely didn't see that one coming.

Goldtones

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're literally taking a billionaire at his word.

And you also need to substantiate your claims about the UAW. The UAW is a powerful group and you need a powerful group to take on billion dollar corporations if they are involved in abusing workers. Conditions at Tesla are problematic.

To say the least.

Not taking his word. I just know that California has very strict rules on unions and safety regulations. People on here are saying there is all this abuse going on and the evidence is clear yet there has been no crackdown on them by California. Why is that if it is so obvious?

No one can be certain UAW will act against their interests. If Tesla is successful though then the legacy automakers and Detroit will lose a lot of jobs. Can't really see them fighting for Tesla. I doubt the other workers would take any sort of coordinated action with Tesla. At this point there barely in the same industry.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Elon Musk is a great person. Once I was starving, cold and sleeping in the streets. He walked up to me and I could see tears in his eyes. He handed me a few hundred thousand dollars and whispered how it was the best he could do at the time. I will never forget everything he's done for me.
Yeah?

I saw Elon at a grocery store in LA yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word but Elon Musk would definitely know better than me I suppose. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly. He even threw the rapper to one of the bars out the window of his Tesla as he drove off.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Not taking his word. I just know that California has very strict rules on unions and safety regulations. People on here are saying there is all this abuse going on and the evidence is clear yet there has been no crackdown on them by California. Why is that if it is so obvious?

No one can be certain UAW will act against their interests. If Tesla is successful though then the legacy automakers and Detroit will lose a lot of jobs. Can't really see them fighting for Tesla. I doubt the other workers would take any sort of coordinated action with Tesla. At this point there barely in the same industry.
That should be closely looked into.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The only claim against UAW is from Elon himself who seems to blame it for the downfall of the Detroit-based automakers without really substantiating his claims.

And what does it matter that California has stringent laws? Tesla employees are still more likely to be injured than the industry average, despite Elon's claims to the contrary. The industry average is largely made up of UAW members as well so obviously the union can help lower injury rates by calling on Tesla to stop overworking their employees.

Are you seriously suggesting that UAW is in the pockets of big combustible auto? That is again contrary to what Elon says, where he blames them for bankrupting the big 3.

Goldtones

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The only claim against UAW is from Elon himself who seems to blame it for the downfall of the Detroit-based automakers without really substantiating his claims.

And what does it matter that California has stringent laws? Tesla employees are still more likely to be injured than the industry average, despite Elon's claims to the contrary. The industry average is largely made up of UAW members as well so obviously the union can help lower injury rates by calling on Tesla to stop overworking their employees.

Are you seriously suggesting that UAW is in the pockets of big combustible auto? That is again contrary to what Elon says, where he blames them for bankrupting the big 3.

In the official numbers Tesla is on par with the other automakers in safety. What you are saying is that they are faking their numbers. I'm saying it would be hard to fake numbers in California and if they were there would be a crackdown.

Elon Musk claims that they abondoned the California factory in favor of their Detroit based factories. It is really not that unlikely that they would act in favor of whoever makes up the majority. Which definitely would not be Tesla.

Also go Google UAW, they are currently undergoing a federal investigation for corruption and their vice president just had their home raided. It's not just Elon making claims against them.

Last edited:

Yuri_G

Oct 30, 2017

Here's Tesla's rebuttal to the Reveal article: https://www.tesla.com/blog/not-so-revealing-story

There are multiple damning articles about the UAW with a simple google search of UAW and NUMMI. Here are a few.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2010/02/numm-f06.html

http://laborpains.org/2018/03/30/nummi-anniversary-puts-spotlight-on-uaw-woes/

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/nummi-workers-upset-uaw/

This American Life also did a whole episode on the UAW and NUMMI, which is eye opening: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/403/nummi

The idea that unions are automatically good is flawed today. The reality is union membership has been decreasing because most employers have the proper safety checks, healthcare, and their employees well being in mind from the get go. There's little need for a middle man and the UAW knows this, which is why they've been scrambling to unionize any major car factory for the past few years.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Yuri_G - Member Since: Oct 30, 2017
30/31 posts about Tesla / Elon Musk

Goldtones - Member Since: Oct 29, 2017
35/38 posts about Tesla / Elon Musk

Ryno23 - Member Since: Dec 13, 2017
46/51 posts about Tesla / Elon Musk

giphy.gif
commissioner-gordon--68.5.jpg

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah?

I saw Elon at a grocery store in LA yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word but Elon Musk would definitely know better than me I suppose. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly. He even threw the rapper to one of the bars out the window of his Tesla as he drove off.
You're lying! Tell me you're lying!

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
So if this was not elon Musk but somebody else. And you would read the tweets again. Is everybody still salty?

Oct 28, 2017
I'm too stupid to understand why what he said was bad or wrong. I think some others in here are the same but like to act like they know what's what and all that. If he sat down and had a conversation with someone about this I'm sure it'd come across better than he presents himself on Twitter.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm too stupid to understand why what he said was bad or wrong. I think some others in here are the same but like to act like they know what's what and all that. If he sat down and had a conversation with someone about this I'm sure it'd come across better than he presents himself on Twitter.
So you don't understand why what he said was wrong and stupid, but you still feel that he's probably right on the issue and just was misunderstood?
That's an interesting take, but I guess it speaks about the fact that your belief in the man, at least in this instance, is not really rooted in facts.

Oct 28, 2017
So you don't understand why what he said was wrong and stupid, but you still feel that he's probably right on the issue and just was misunderstood?
That's an interesting take, but I guess it speaks about the fact that your belief in the man, at least in this instance, is not really rooted in facts.

Where did I say he's probably right or that I believe in him and he's misunderstood? Your powers of assumption could take us to Mars before he does.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where did I say he's probably right or that I believe in him and he's misunderstood? Your powers of assumption could take us to Mars before he does.
"If he sat down and had a conversation with someone about this I'm sure it'd come across better than he presents himself on Twitter".
Which is an interesting thing to say, if you are, in fact, don't understand what wrong with what he said on Twitter.

Oct 28, 2017
"If he sat down and had a conversation with someone about this I'm sure it'd come across better than he presents himself on Twitter".
Which is an interesting thing to say, if you are, in fact, don't understand what wrong with what he said on Twitter.

What I said is true of just about every person who uses Twitter to discuss things that have any semblance of nuance.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I said is true of just about every person who uses Twitter to discuss things that have any semblance of nuance.
Oh so you were just making a general comment about the nature of discourse on twitter, unrelated to Elon Musk?
Cool, and FWIW, I generally tend to agree that twitter is trash.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh so you were just making a general comment about the nature of discourse on twitter, unrelated to Elon Musk?

I've seen more than one Twitter tirade lead to a podcast where the person came across much more coherent and convincing than I would have initially assumed they were capable of, and seeing this just reminded me of that. I have no idea if he'd come across better or not, just know I've had my mind changed in the past after assuming the worst of someone based on how they used Twitter.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
That or paid propagandists. There are some Era posters who have 80% of their posts (or more) focused on Tesla/SpaceX or Musk. Either they're paid or they are true Kool-Aid drinking believers.
I dated a girl who was crazy about him. She read the Elon Musk articles on Wait But Why and I guess she bought into the hype.
I mean, on a surface level he seems passionate and has some interesting ideas on how to radically progress our technology, but on the other hand he's a fuck and lots of his ideas are unrealistic.

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
In one of the other Tesla threads someone posted the job posting for PR for Tesla and it involved, among other things, posting on message boards, social media, etc... to sway public opinion. In the same thread there were a few of the more outspoken Musk defenders called out for having the vast majority of their posts be related to Musk without any real discussion on other topics. It's certainly possible that their only interests in the world are Musk, Tesla, and SpaceX, but if that's the case it seems very odd to me that out of the thousands of topics, communities, etc... they only post in those.

1st, since the post you're referencing is talking about me you could as well mention me so I could answer instead of being a coward and avoid involving me directly.

Rest assured, I'm not a 'paid shill', and I don't see how I should justify the fact that I like something you don't, hence I supposedly can't be in good faith... You're just acting like irrational conspiracy theorists, scrutinizing and condemning the fact that I dare post about things I like and research in-depth more than other topics. Attacking the people instead of providing facts and arguments.

There's a cult here on ERA, a cult of irrationality, conspiracy and ignorance and it's the anti-musk cult.

If you want to know why I comment a lot on these topics, it's really simple: I'm a lurker here and one of the things that pushes me to intervene is when a topic becomes an anti musk circle jerk based on absolutely nothing factual.
It's clearly a lost cause, and reality will speak for itself, but I'm human and no ones likes it when something they like and know about deeply gets unfairly trash talked with ignorance and irrationality. This is what's happening a lot with Elon and his companies.

So yeah, rest assured I'll continue being 'a paid shill' and 'defending a billionaire' when I want to.
Please leave me alone and argue with arguments instead of post-history bullying me.

Cheers.

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Also one more thing: the whole 'Tesla hires people to sway opinions on the internet' is beyond silly, it's the essence on how wrong many people on this forum are on Tesla and anything musk by buying into a ignorant narrative that has no foundations in reality.
If you had even a little bit of knowledge about what you're talking about you would know that those PR jobs, which btw aren't a practice exclusive to Telsa, are intended to scout Tesla forums and people's queries on social media to offer them customer support and report user discovered issues to the management...

Turning that into 'Tesla hires people to sway opinions on the internet' is laughable, dishonest and well... good for you if you buy into this.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
1st, since the post you're referencing is talking about me you could as well mention me so I could answer instead of being a coward and avoid involving me directly.

Rest assured, I'm not a 'paid shill', and I don't see how I should justify the fact that I like something you don't, hence I supposedly can't be in good faith... You're just acting like irrational conspiracy theorists, scrutinizing and condemning the fact that I dare post about things I like and research in-depth more than other topics. Attacking the people instead of providing facts and arguments.

There's a cult here on ERA, a cult of irrationality, conspiracy and ignorance and it's the anti-musk cult.

If you want to know why I comment a lot on these topics, it's really simple: I'm a lurker here and one of the things that pushes me to intervene is when a topic becomes an anti musk circle jerk based on absolutely nothing factual.
It's clearly a lost cause, and reality will speak for itself, but I'm human and no ones likes it when something they like and know about deeply gets unfairly trash talked with ignorance and irrationality. This is what's happening a lot with Elon and his companies.

So yeah, rest assured I'll continue being 'a paid shill' and 'defending a billionaire' when I want to.
Please leave me alone and argue with arguments instead of post-history bullying me.

Cheers.

sounds exactly like what a paid shill would say

there is no anti-musk cult here, only the cult that sees light shine from every orifice and will gladly eat a plate of shit if dear leader said to.

Also one more thing: the whole 'Tesla hires people to sway opinions on the internet' is beyond silly, it's the essence on how wrong many people on this forum are on Tesla and anything musk by buying into a ignorant narrative that has no foundations in reality.
If you had even a little bit of knowledge about what you're talking about you would know that those PR jobs, which btw aren't a practice exclusive to Telsa, are intended to scout Tesla forums and people's queries on social media to offer them customer support and report user discovered issues to the management...

astroturfing is a real thing dude. you know that right?

if he were an anthropomorphic character in an animal cartoon would he be Elon Musk-Ox, or Elon Muskrat?

muskrat because his a disgusting capitalist rat.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
if he were an anthropomorphic character in an animal cartoon would he be Elon Musk-Ox, or Elon Muskrat?

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
sounds exactly like what a paid shill would say

there is no anti-musk cult here, only the cult that sees light shine from every orifice and will gladly eat a plate of shit if dear leader said to.

astroturfing is a real thing dude. you know that right?

Yeah ok. You prove my point that people here aren't even worth discussing with.

Tesla doesn't need 'astroturfing', and you have no evidence to back your accusations of them doing it. That Job listing posted on the other thread isn't for 'astroturfing' and anyone that follows Tesla knows how proactive they are on forums and social media and how they have dedicated personnel to address user issues. The intent is exactly that: to address and identity user issues, not to post misinformation.
You don't have anything to support what you say, thus you're just mounting conspiracies and baseless propaganda.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah ok. You prove my point that people here aren't even worth discussing with.

Tesla doesn't need 'astroturfing', and you have no evidence to back your accusations of them doing it. That Job listing posted on the other thread isn't for 'astroturfing' and anyone that follows Tesla knows how proactive they are on forums and social media and how they have dedicated personnel to address user issues. The intent is exactly that: to address and identity user issues, not to post misinformation.
You don't have anything to support what you say, thus you're just mounting conspiracies and baseless propaganda.

oh why dont they need astroturfing then?

Dunning-Kruger in full force.

oh cool i remember psych 101 too!

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Dunning-Kruger in full force.
There's nothing you can do, they're exactly what they project on others: irrational followers of a cult that see no value in facts and reality. It's a lost cause.

oh why dont they need astroturfing then?

Because people actually like their products. Also it's not just a matter of not 'needing' it, but mostly a matter of avoiding this kind of practices. They don't even advertise on TV/magazines...

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing you can do, they're exactly what they project on others: irrational followers of a cult that see no value in facts and reality. It's a lost cause.

It's amazingly consistent. Anyone rejecting or questioning any portion of any criticism leveled toward Musk or his companies is immediately dismissed because clearly (clearly!) they worship at his alter and lol what a weirdo so we can ignore you and everything you say.

Oh and if they accidentally let it slip that they simply hate capitalism and must necessarily hate anyone working within that system regardless of whether the arguments are good or not it'll just be a joke and why so serious??

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
Because people actually like their products. Also it's not just a matter of not 'needing' it, but mostly a matter of avoiding this kind of practices. They don't even advertise on TV/magazines...

the generation that their products (especially the model 3) are aimed at right now are the tech savvy kind of people who dont read magazines (lol who the fuck still buys magazines) or watches/has tv to see commercials.

easier and cheaper to buy online ads/astroturf on social media and get people caught up in the hype to do your work for you than normal ad buys.

and if you think they don't do any of that then I have a bridge in london to sell you.