• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy moly. That is a really drastic move.

Not sure if it's the right way to move forward for Tesla, but it would certainly create a buffer against fickle public opinion.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be devastated if this pans out. Tesla is the best stock to actively trade of all time. It's been range-bound for years now. Buy at $250-$280, sell at $350 and over.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand it would be a good move for the company since it would allow Musk to tweet like an idiot and not make the company suffer because of it, but who in the world has the cash on hand to do this?

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure that less public accountability will surely lead to nothing but great things.

I'm seriously struggling to see what the connection is between going public/private and ethics. If anything, going public causes companies to act much more unethically to satisfy the short-term bottom-line because share holders are greedy and myopic.

With private companies, at the very least they aren't beholden to investors and can plan for the long term.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Probably for the best so they don't have to have constant negative news cycles about their sales performance but I'd feel like announcing it like this has to be illegal? If he doesn't do it couldn't this be considered blatant marker manipulation?

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
It's the best move possible if you have a company that is struggling to make profit but you believe in the long term goals.
In general i think companies are healthier when private, public means pressure to grow "no matter what" and that no matter what often means bad stuff for employees and customer.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Who has $70 Billion+ in cash?

Well he already has 20% so only $56 Billion to find...

Musk will get loans then put the debt onto Tesla. His underwriters must feel confident that Tesla will be able to finance the debt or be able to re-float at a much hgher value in a few years.

Oct 26, 2017
This is either market manipulation or a hack tweet. I'm going with the latter. Such a batshit insane tweet. the 420 looks like a joke. Not sure if the tweet is even legal.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Probably for the best so they don't have to have constant negative news cycles about their sales performance but I'd feel like announcing it like this has to be illegal? If he doesn't do it couldn't this be considered blatant marker manipulation?
I'm not sure. Seems like driving up the price before buying a company would be dumb.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So I've never owned stock which went from public to private before. How does that even work? If I ever wanted to sell my shares then would it even be possible?

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Board threatening to take him out maybe?

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
The way he announce this, isn't this illegal for manipulating the stock price?
Considering doing something versus saying you're going to do it are two very different things.

The stock market is driven by rumors and speculation, not sure why this is such an issue for this thread.

Apple was CONSIDERING making a car and commented on it. They aren't anymore. No one is going to prison for that.

Oct 25, 2017
not sure if serious

it his personal twitter he is talking about himself, why would he talk in third person and say "musk is considering"

"Tesla is" is very different from "Am considering"

"Tesla is" implies the company is moving forward with something
Musk tweeting "Am considering" means he's thought about it, and that's it. It would still require board approval.