• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Screencapping in case this idiot decides to delete it:

dfUdXLd.jpg

Please bear in mind that Bolivia has one of the largest reserves of lithium in the world, and that Evo Morales' own party is currently being denied any participation in next year's election despite being the biggest party of any in the country by popular support.

I guess, to the US, every country is a banana republic.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People actually worship this moron.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man he really is an insufferable asshole.

Which means we should expect him to be booked on the JRE again any day now.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but his party is still standing for the election, if it ever happens, with Luis Arce as their candidate.

I haven't been following this closely. Is he deeply unpopular among the people? I thought dude fled after the first election results were disputed.

And I thought Tesla ( and other companies) largely sourced Lithium from the likes of Chile and Australia

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
As someone from South america, we know we just kind of have to deal with USA coups and there's not a lot you can do about it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Most billionaires will think this but you're not supposed to say it out loud, Musk!

Oct 25, 2017

dfUdXLd.jpg

Please bear in mind that Bolivia has one of the largest reserves of lithium in the world, and that Evo Morales' own party is currently being denied any participation in next year's election despite being the biggest party of any in the country by popular support.

Morales got his judges to strike down a referendum to launch an unconstitutional fourth term. That's not a stable democracy from jump.

Musk's comments are dumb as hell as usual, but your argument for everything being orchestrated by the US reads like you've been reading nothing but The Intercept.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
People here think Elon Musk has the CIA in his back pocket... embarrassing.

Stop allowing (justified) dislike of a person cloud your mind towards conspiracy theories. It was obviously a joke.

OP
OP
Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Morales got his judges to strike down a referendum to launch an unconstitutional fourth term. That's not a stable democracy from jump.

Musk's comments are dumb as hell as usual, but your argument for everything being orchestrated by the US reads like you've been reading nothing but The Intercept.
Morales was an idiot that overstayed his welcome too and his lack of flexibility with letting power go is part of the reason why the political climate became volatile enough to allow a coup to happen. Overthrows don't happen in a vacuum. Just because I criticise one side doesn't mean I agree with the other, and the fact that you are playing this card makes me wonder what interest you have in ignoring the historical precedence of US involvement in Latin America.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

papers.ssrn.com

Do Shifts in Late-Counted Votes Signal Fraud? Evidence From Bolivia

Shifts in late-counted votes often spark unfounded claims of electoral fraud. These claims exploit the early-count mirage: the expedient illusion that, absent f

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool

Yeah rely on more reliable sources like the New York Times...

Uh oh.

Uh Oh.

Uh Oh.

Cast doubt on the Intercept all you like, I certainly don't take them for their word on most issues and Glenn Greenwald has proven himself a self-interested creep on several noteworthy occasions. I'm not going to immediately assume that the CIA was directly involved like some people have - though I wouldn't rule it out - the main thing is that there's no feasible way to argue that what took place in Bolivia in 2019 was about respect for democracy or an attempt at stabilization. The interim president that took over literally hoists a bible over her head and speaks about preventing indigenous people from being in representative government because they are "savages."

Morales considered himself to have a popular mandate. He literally halved the poverty rate in his country in his time in office. I'm weary of criticisms of him that read like OAS talking points.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Evo Morales?

The guy that followed the Chavez playbook to change his country's constitution to remain indefinitely in power?

Fuck Chavismo.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

dfUdXLd.jpg

Some one needs his meds or his GF/Wife needs to talk some sense into him. That or he needs to get the SHIT of twitter. It is not healthy for him!

ON top of that: Yeah, it's neo colonialism, they abuse the Monroe Doctrine as an excuse if they have to, but eventually you'll get another uprising, revolution, and then another coup and another revolution, etc... so many people are dying from this crap. :(.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Evo Morales?

The guy that followed the Chavez playbook to change his country's constitution to remain indefinitely in power?

Fuck Chavismo.
I kinda doubt gonna look back on this in the future and say "the white right wing christians with the the giant bibles were in the right and the indigenous people with the cool hats ended up being the bad guys".

I think the right side of history is kinda easy to see here, and I suspect it's not the one with the dude who got rich from Apartheid and is advocating Latin American coups.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I kinda doubt gonna look back on this in the future and say "the white right wing christians with the the giant bibles were in the right and the indigenous people with the cool hats ended up being the bad guys".

I think the right side of history is kinda easy to see here, and I suspect it's not the one with the dude who got rich from Apartheid and is advocating Latin American coups.
You can be against US meddling in third-world countries and still recognize that Chaves, Morales, Noriega, Zelaya and all those that subscribed to Chavismo were demagogues that wanted to stay in power for their own financial benefit.

I'm fucking proud that my country kicked Zelaya out of office... call it a coup or whatever... but the man was a crook while in office and is still stirring up shit in the country because he was allowed to return.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Morales got his judges to strike down a referendum to launch an unconstitutional fourth term.
"his judges" = The judges which are chosen by congress, the representatives of the bolivian people.

Sigh.

your argument for everything being orchestrated by the US reads like you've been reading nothing but The Intercept

Can you like, not talk about one of our countries like you have full grasp of the political realities around here? Do i need to link you to the US-sponsored coups that have happened in our region during the last 70 years?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can be against US meddling in third-world countries and still recognize that Chaves, Morales, Noriega, Zelaya and all those that subscribed to Chavismo were demagogues that wanted to stay in power for their own financial benefit.

I'm fucking proud that my country kicked Zelaya out of office... call it a coup or whatever... but the man was a crook while in office and is still stirring up shit in the country because he was allowed to return.
I am against the coup in Bolivia and against the right wing christian government there who seem adamant on not have elections anymore. I have no idea what are you for.

If you want to talk about how the 2009 Honduran coup d'etat was actually great, you can probably start a thread about it.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Evo Morales?

Fuck Chavismo.
What is your point here? Is a constitutional change enough to justify a coup by a violent far right group that burned indigenous flags, which was in turn led by an authoritarian fascist that screamed about how the bible was back in the palace? Is Chavismo "dangerous" enough to justify the political massacres approved by Añez and her authoritarian policies, which includes arresting people for criticizing her on Whatsapp?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck?????????? Imagine being proud of a coup that fucked Honduras to this fucking day.

Status
Not open for further replies.