Mucha

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Amazing artist with a fantastic voice. I didn't know about the existence of 'If I can Dream' from him before this movie. His performance from the Comeback Special is something to behold. That was definitely the highlight for me in the movie. Such a beautiful and powerful song and now my favourite of his repertoire.

View: https://youtu.be/u-pP_dCenJA

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing artist with a fantastic voice. I didn't know about the existence of 'If I can Dream' from him before this movie. His performance from the Comeback Special is something to behold. That was definitely the highlight for me in the movie. Such a beautiful and powerful song and now my favourite of his repertoire.

View: https://youtu.be/u-pP_dCenJA

Unfortunately it's likely fabricated. He never was as political as it made it seem

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Been meaning to check this out for a while now. Movie was solid? Always down for more ELVIS-related stuff!

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I know this isnt really what the thread is about...but I really hope Austin Butler gets an oscar nomination, pretty incredible work.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me
you see Straight up racist that sucker was Simple and plain
Mother fuck him and John Wayne.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Is this a honeypot thread?

I like some of his music, was before my time though, must be in the mood for oldies.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I like his songs covered by other artists.

I found his weird accent thing distracting. Or whatever you call the way he talked and sang. He sang like he was running out of breath and having difficulty breathing all the time.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me
you see Straight up racist that sucker was Simple and plain
Mother fuck him and John Wayne.

And presumably as a nod to FTP, UK Punk/Hip Hop artists Bob Vylan...

Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me because the fucker was wack
Plus he hated blacks
And he never made one hot track, straight facts
I know they're gonna hate that
But their bar's low like take that, motherfucker, take that
I don't play, don't ramp
And none of my heroes appear on a stamp

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Ya, Elvis had his problems and his more "fun" music doesn't really hit for me but If I Can Dream, In the Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, man was tremendously talented.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
His work on the Comeback Special is something else. It's clear what an incredible talent the man was. I absolutely love this performance of Trying to Get to You:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ64T6gEdC4
He was 24, she was 14

It's difficult to get over this.

Yeah, it's hard. For what it's worth, according to Priscilla herself, their relationship didn't actually become physical until they got married when she was 18. Now she could just be trying to protect Elvis' image, but who knows.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's hard. For what it's worth, according to Priscilla herself, their relationship didn't actually become physical until they got married when she was 18. Now she could just be trying to protect Elvis' image, but who knows.
He waited 4 years huh ? Yeah, everyone bought that.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great voice and performer, but at minimum "a bit fucked" up individually, particularly when looked at from today.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Elvis was brilliant.

Elvis had a big resurgence when I was a kid in the 80s, kinda like the resurgence of Michael Jackson's 80s catalogue in the 2000s. He was very present when I was growing up, and less so now... although therre have been a couple Elvis movies in the last 10 years keeping him present.

Lesser known fact about Elvis (these days)... he had a twin brother who was stillborn, born 35 minutes ahead of Elvis, but was dead at birth.

The segment in Ken Burns Country Music on him is good... I think like episode 4 or 5.

Elvis is white, but family tradition has claimed some aspect of Cherokee. It's unclear whether that's true or not or just family myth. A major factor in Elvis' career is that he was a white person who started by singing gospel and worship music associated with black people because he grew up among other poor black people in Tennessee, and then music producers did the same thing with him professionally, singing hillbilly and rockabilly music "in the black fashion," which emerged into rock and roll, blues, country, etc. Radio stations that wouldn't have played Arthur Crudup were eager to blast Elvis Presley. Radio was segregated, but "Race radio" was popular in the Tennessee, and most of the hillbilly musicians would have listened to it.

Last edited:

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I never was the biggest Elvis fan (mostly because I just dont listen that kind of music), but I can appreciate the performer nonetheless. Seeing old concerts on YT, there is no doubt he could sing and perform on stage.

16bits

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
His work on the Comeback Special is something else. It's clear what an incredible talent the man was. I absolutely love this performance of Trying to Get to You:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ64T6gEdC4

At the very least, we can all agree he groomed a chid.

At worst, he is a child sex abuser and rapist.

As much talent as someone has, and Clearly Elvis did have a talent and charisma for singing the songs of others, I can never get over his abuse. It still shocks me when people talk about them casually in conversation, or see threads here about them.

See Jackson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Garry Glitter and so many 'stars' of an era

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Can't get into this guy. Growing up I also seemed to cross paths with families that had like Elvis superfans which just further cemented in my mind that everything about him is Fucking Weird.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
To be fair to OP you gotta search deep even in threads about the man's controversies to find out that man was almost definetly a nonce. Or to be extremely generous and best case scenario, a child groomer.

Surprised it isn't more common knowledge to be honest but then you could say the same about a lot of celebrity histories supposed greats.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The part about Elvis fandom that I find mind blowing is that I think a majority of the original demographic are no longer with us. He was my now deceased 90 year old grandma's music. Boomers had exposure to him via their parents.

Millennial exposure to him was a remix album in the 00s and that was it really.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Elvis is white, but family tradition has claimed some aspect of Cherokee. It's unclear whether that's true or not or just family myth. A major factor in Elvis' career is that he was a white person who started by singing gospel and worship music associated with black people because he grew up among other poor black people in Tennessee, and then music producers did the same thing with him professionally, singing hillbilly and rockabilly music "in the black fashion," which emerged into rock and roll, blues, country, etc. Radio stations that wouldn't have played Arthur Crudup were eager to blast Elvis Presley. Radio was segregated, but "Race radio" was popular in the Tennessee, and most of the hillbilly musicians would have listened to it.

Whoosh.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I mean, I like some of his singles and obviously he was talented. But when I was in junior high, I used to slick back my hair and got the nickname Elvis, and it was just constant harassment during the 7th and 8th grades. Shit was traumatizing.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm by no means an Elvis fan, but rumors of his racism have been overblown. By most accounts he was a decent person and always gave credit to the black artists that influe him, and supposedly that insistence in giving credit to those black musicians hampered his early career.

The whole "king of rock and roll" was more a PR move by white music industry professionals and journalists. Even Chuck D has elaborated on this about his lyrics, and that it was more a comment of how society props up white artists doing black music versus propping up the black artists themselves.