• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 6, 2022
What did he expect would happen after the lukewarm reception it's had since it was first revealed?
CEO's expectation:

raining-money-5.gif

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
To be honest, I think a big reason is the marketing. I felt like the game was announced and in a blink of an eye the next thing I knew it was released, which is saying a LOT considering how few big games are releasing right now.

Mar 14, 2022
probably will eventually. Embracer on the whole are very much a backlog company with a few solid sellers, and massive hits that blow everything else away in a year. rn Coffee Stain has been having the biggest releases, because they release underpriced for what is on offer, and quickly amass legions of fans. see: Valheim, Deep Rock Galactic.

Saint's Row probably wasn't going to be the latter when it had such prevalent bugs at launch. would've sold much better without those considering the lack of other AAA releases at the time, but that's obvious.

what I am curious of, is if they view the Epic payout as having been worth it for the PC release. and I also wonder if they will invest in patching heavily so that this can do better when it rereleases on Steam.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
It means it sold lower than expected and didnt make a profit yet.
Sounds like it sold enough for them to expect to make a return on it, yet nowhere near what they were expecting it to.
Thanks. I was unsure if they were just referring to critical reception or not. Since they said they were confident the game would make money. Their statement on the future of the franchise felt unclear to me, like they were still deliberating on what to do with it.
I've enjoyed the Saints Row franchise in the past and was interested in it, but the game came off as a half-baked, buggy mess in reviews. Maybe give your devs more time if you want a stronger release?
Well they did have five years lol.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Tone felt completely off to me, even early on. Game played well enough, but it just didn't have the feel/spirit of the series that I was expecting. Do want to give it another go, but not sure when that's going to happen.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game is fine, but lots of people see a glitch and declare it the worst thing ever. It should have released in a better state. The cultural BS is a small fraction of the issue. The state of the game at release was the issue.

IMO, it's not so much glitches but this:

The game hasn't evolved at all, it's a 2012 game that released in 2022, the fact that the gameplay has arguably gotten worse since the previous installments is hilarious considering that gameplay was never a strong suit of Saints Row in my opinion, and when you combine that with some of the worst writing in recent AAA gaming you've got a disaster

Its almost the same thing Crackdown 3 was dinged for.

...but I liked Crackdown 3 more than the Saints Row reboot...

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Part of me has this expectation that Embracer will chose to have Volition pivot and focus on a new Red Faction rather than provide long term support for Saints Row 2022. I mean, Embracer doesn't have a big FPS franchise right now, do they? I figure that a Red Faction reboot would be a good place to start for them.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
It looked like SR3 with nicer graphics. No cool abilities or superpowers is what chased me off from buying it. I can't go back to slapstick gta after you gave me amazing super powers guys

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's wild. I spent about 70 hours in this game, finishing the story and doing most of the optional activities, and I had fun.

Sure it's not a game of the year, but it was well worth the asking price and my time.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I've sadly just been burned one too many times recently by grabbing a game I was excited for at release only to have it be buggy and have game breaking bugs. (Looking at you Cult of the Lamb) When word started going around that this was coming in hot, I figured I'd wait and give it a few patches before pulling the trigger. Seems like the first of those patches dropped recently?

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I'm enjoying the game on Xbox but on every game session I found a variety of bugs of different severity and even progression blockers that require looking up workarounds.
I think, writing-wise and tone-wise, its my favourite entry in the entire saga so far, and I'm having great fun, but it angers me that:
  • The game launched so unfinished.
  • The game has such poor performance.
  • The game launched as an Epic exclusive (ended up buying on Xbox to avoid this).
  • The game's tone, premise and diversity were so criticized. I am enjoying it a lot and really don't get the outrage.
It's a shame because there's a very good game there... once its finished, polished and on Steam. As it is, its very enjoyable but buggy, but pure Saints Row IMO.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me has this expectation that Embracer will chose to have Volition pivot and focus on a new Red Faction rather than provide long term support for Saints Row 2022. I mean, Embracer doesn't have a big FPS franchise right now, do they? I figure that a Red Faction reboot would be a good place to start for them.
I feel like that would make even less money than Saints Row. Both Red Faction Guerrilla and Armageddon underperformed enough that Thq announced formally they wouldn't make any more of them. I can't see Embracer bringing the series back as anything near AAA.

www.engadget.com

Red Faction franchise won't continue 'in any meaningful way'

Red Faction: Armageddon has signaled the end of not just a familiar red planet, but an entire, transmedia universe. Speaking during an investor call this evening, THQ CEO Brian Farrell described the franchise's reach as "niche," and consequently no longer worth pursuing. "Given that that title...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Volition just can't seem to get past the mid to late 2000's style of games. They refuse to innovate and it bit them in the ass with this game. I honestly do not know what people see in the SR games, they've never been particularly good.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is that you have such a divided fan base.

"Hardcore" fans ironically wouldn't care if the gameplay was ass if the story was about "serious gangsters" like in SR2, even though it was full of humor and very silly stuff. There are people on the subreddit saying SR1 is better than the new game, solely because of the story.

You then have the more modern fans of 3 and 4, and they wanted it to get even more outrageous, so dialing it back reduced their interest.

The game is a blend between 2 and 3 for me, which I love, but sadly seems to have lost the people that only loved 1+2 or only 3+4

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember people were saying it bombed after the UK charts came out. Just cause it placed high does not mean it sold well.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is that you have such a divided fan base.

"Hardcore" fans ironically wouldn't care if the gameplay was ass if the story was about "serious gangsters" like in SR2, even though it was full of humor and very silly stuff. There are people on the subreddit saying SR1 is better than the new game, solely because of the story.

You then have the more modern fans of 3 and 4, and they wanted it to get even more outrageous, so dialing it back reduced their interest.

The game is a blend between 2 and 3 for me, which I love, but sadly seems to have lost the people that only loved 1+2 or only 3+4
This is a great observation.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Initial reveal didn't do it any favors and the game being a buggy mess on top of having dated design and graphics did the rest.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I feel like that would make even less money than Saints Row. Both Red Faction Guerrilla and Armageddon underperformed enough that Thq announced formally they wouldn't make any more of them. I can't see Embracer bringing the series back as anything near AAA.

www.engadget.com

Red Faction franchise won't continue 'in any meaningful way'

Red Faction: Armageddon has signaled the end of not just a familiar red planet, but an entire, transmedia universe. Speaking during an investor call this evening, THQ CEO Brian Farrell described the franchise's reach as "niche," and consequently no longer worth pursuing. "Given that that title...
Hasn't RF Guerrilla Remarstered done fairly well though? Red Faction 1 pitched its geo-mod tech as revolutionary and it was really cool for the time. Few developers these days do that kind of destruction and if Volition could make a modern version of that, I feel like that could draw a lot of players.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
"polarized fan reception"
How did they not expect this? Quite literary from the moment the first trailer dropped a lot of the older fans were complaining that it looked too similar to a certain other game and gave off too much of a "zoomer" vibe.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It just was not good in any way or shape. Its was a smallish, lifeless open world. It was not impressive in any technical aspect. The game design felt like one of the first 360 era open world games, when they were kind if figuring that stuff out. The story and characters and writing was just laughable and on top of all of that it was absolutely riddled with bugs. This is the first game that i truly regret buying in many years.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
If SR CEO is sadge and dissapoint in the #2 selling game last month, wonder how the rest of the CEOs feel - there was a list floating around on this forum.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Rebooting the series with a brand new cast of characters but not doing anything to improve or shake up the gameplay was a recipe for alienating old and new fans. RE7 managed to pull this off by doing genuinely new things.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
They shouldn't be surprised since:
- The game is definitely not polished. It's a damn bug fest.
- It's a departure from 3 and 4, which perhaps most of the fanbase likes now.
- On the PC front, you make the game exclusive to the Epic Games Store.

It's an okay game. Has its fun moments, aside from some of the annoying issues preventing it from being a smooth experience.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was willing to give it a shot despite the new cast but hearing how buggy and meh overall the game was convinced me I had better things to spend my money on.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've only played two Saints Row games long ago but just watching the game play of this one, it just looks to play as bad as I remember the ones I played, the gun play play, aiming, ugh it horrible in those Saints Row 4, one with aliens. Sure it has the bigger scale etc. but the core looked underwhelming to me.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
It's a pity this underperformed as in many ways it was a real return to form for the franchise. Probably my personal favourite since 2, but you can really feel the budget constraints in places, especially when it comes to side activities.

I think Saints Row is in an awkward spot. Too many different people have different views on what the franchise is supposed to be. In terms of tone/style the new game is still a little too over-the-top, but definitely closer to true Saints Row than the last two games. Yet, so many others saw it as too grounded and feel that the tone missed the mark. The series has too many identities.

I still liked it tho.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
He's saying they'll make money on it. The pre-orders may have been more front-loaded than expected but it doesn't sound like what y'all are painting it as.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't RF Guerrilla Remarstered done fairly well though? Red Faction 1 pitched its geo-mod tech as revolutionary and it was really cool for the time. Few developers these days do that kind of destruction and if Volition could make a modern version of that, I feel like that could draw a lot of players.
Even if it has I don't think it's done well enough to go and spend tens of millions of dollars on another game. Seems extremely risky to me. But I'm not sure what game Volition could make that wouldn't underperform now.

I've only played two Saints Row games long ago but just watching the game play of this one, it just looks to play as bad as I remember the ones I played, the gun play play, aiming, ugh it horrible in those Saints Row 4, one with aliens. Sure it has the bigger scale etc. but the core looked underwhelming to me.
Honestly the gunplay felt worse to me than any previous Saints Row game. No matter how I adjusted it, it felt bad. The sensitivity felt off, enemies seem to have invincibility frame dodge rolls, and they eat multiple headshots like candy even with their durability turned all the way down in settings.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I mean it looks decent and I will get it but only once it's reduced in price or a used copy.

The bugs, poor quality ( animations, graphics, physics) and some decisions don't warrant a pre order, let alone a day 1 for me.

Sangral