• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GalaxyPixel

Jun 21, 2021
I attempted to play Final Fantasy VI Advanced on my old DS Lite both with and without the music and color restoration patches. When trying to boot the game it just goes to this white screen after language selection. All other GBA roms work with no issue and I cannot seem to figure out the cause or a fix for the issue. Anyone know anything about this?
97WKF8f.jpeg

Last edited:

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you need the procure the bios in a legal means and put it in a folder or something

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
test the rom on a computer or sth/mgba etc.

How are you running this? Off a flash cart? Or an R4 running a homebrew GBA emulator or sth? On rare occassion flashcarts might not support a random rom, or might generate the wrong save file size, or any other number of issues.

OP
OP
GalaxyPixel

GalaxyPixel

Jun 21, 2021
test the rom on a computer or sth/mgba etc.

How are you running this? Off a flash cart? Or an R4 running a homebrew GBA emulator or sth? On rare occassion flashcarts might not support a random rom, or might generate the wrong save file size, or any other number of issues.
I'm using an R4 Cart with GBARunner2. I've tried roms from several sources both patched and no patches applied not sure if that matters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GalaxyPixel

GalaxyPixel

Jun 21, 2021

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I'm using an R4 Cart with GBARunner2. I've tried roms from several sources both patched and no patches applied not sure if that matters.

Afaik gbarunner2 is quite hit or miss especially when not running on a cfw dsi/3DS, but even then there can be issues.

Would recommend grabbing an everdrive or ez flash slot 2 flashcart to avoid issues, or a retro emulation handheld etc like an rg35xx.

If you have access to 3DS custom VC injects I think are a generally more stable way to play gba games as well.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
0604-C094-8-F86-48-D6-A7-F6-1534-D47-A7347.jpg
On the compatibility list, there's an "x" for "works without cache" (first column) and a check for "works with cache" (2nd column)
I honestly don't know what that means but is there some sort of setting to enable a cache?

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure your ROM version matches the version needed in the patch? I remember something about headers needing to match but it was a very long time ago.

OP
OP
GalaxyPixel

GalaxyPixel

Jun 21, 2021
I have fixed the issues!
IpFgyy1.jpeg
For future reference and for anyone else that has trouble with this in the future what you need to do is have a GBA bios file in your _gba folder on the sd card and make sure it is labeled bios.bin all lowercase. You then have to make sure that center and mask setting is turned on in GBARunner2 specifically for Final Fantasy 6 Advance.