• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Great OP, thanks for the detailed writeup!

Am I right in assuming that PPSSPP could function as a (limited) PSX emu as well? I'd still prefer a dedicated one but just curious.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Love this thread, thank you OP!

I'm thinking about getting an 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller - I specifically want to find the US SNES version which I know is out of print/stock but not sure if that had hall effect sticks.

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else having problems with Rhythm Heaven on DS or similar rhythm games? Can't tell if sound is off or if it's that much more difficult using a finger instead of a stylus

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
I love that there's options for cheats in Delta, got all my Pokémon Emerald event tickets ready to go! Don't think I ever had any of those as a kid.

Side note - is there any sort of workaround for Pokémon evolutions that require trades or am I just sol?

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I love that there's options for cheats in Delta, got all my Pokémon Emerald event tickets ready to go! Don't think I ever had any of those as a kid.

Side note - is there any sort of workaround for Pokémon evolutions that require trades or am I just sol?

The ROM Randomiser tool has checkboxes that allow you to evolve trademons at either a set level or with other methods:

image.png

So providing you haven't gotten too far in and are happy to mess around with it and start over, that's the best option really!

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
The ROM Randomiser tool has checkboxes that allow you to evolve trademons at either a set level or with other methods:

image.png

So providing you haven't gotten too far in and are happy to mess around with it and start over, that's the best option really!
Ah great I haven't gotten that far in so I'll give this a go, thanks!

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I've downloaded a bunch of skins, but most of them don't seem to work. I guess because I'm on an iPhone SE and the skin creators didn't support it? Anyone know of good SE skins? I mainly want minimalist and/or buttonless ones with the largest screen area possible. I also like the ones that look like translucent consoles/controllers.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Any suggestions for DS games? Screen seems too small and landscape does not look good.
given the actual size of DS screens irl, I feel like the portrait mode is perfect. only problem is I need to put it on a stand and connect a controller to play that way

though I guess this is where we get into variable size iPhones lol. I have a 14 pro max, it's probably much different on other models if that's what you have

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I've put like 8 hours into Pokemon Emerald and have been having a great time. Sure, touch screen controls aren't great for action games but they're fine for slow-paced RPGs. And the convenience of having it in your pocket wherever you go can't be beat.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone else having problems with Rhythm Heaven on DS or similar rhythm games? Can't tell if sound is off or if it's that much more difficult using a finger instead of a stylus
Emulating rhythm games, no matter how old the system is, will unfortunately always be off in multiple ways. Often the audio will be off by some ms (a lot of emulators let you configure that, but it could be as much as 128ms) because the audio needs to be converted from analogue to digital and needs to be stored in a buffer and synced to the video. Your input will also always be off by a minimum of 1 frame, maybe even more (again some emulators offer features to mitigate this).

It's possible to adjust but games like Rhythm Heaven will always be much more difficult on emulator.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if It would be possible to sync saves between an emulator and a wifi-enabled memory card like the MemCard Pro 🤔

That could be a fun weekend project. If it's possible it should be doable on any device that has Wifi and filesystem access. Synced saves across emulators and real hardware could be pretty neat.

OP
OP
SixtyTwoMike

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Emulating rhythm games, no matter how old the system is, will unfortunately always be off in multiple ways. Often the audio will be off by some ms (a lot of emulators let you configure that, but it could be as much as 128ms) because the audio needs to be converted from analogue to digital and needs to be stored in a buffer and synced to the video. Your input will also always be off by a minimum of 1 frame, maybe even more (again some emulators offer features to mitigate this).

It's possible to adjust but games like Rhythm Heaven will always be much more difficult on emulator.

Yeah I didn't realise this until I tried Elite Beat Agents. I will treasure the physical editions (and of Ouendan 1/2) and my multiple DS!

SiegeDamage

Sep 23, 2020

View: https://www.threads.net/@brendonbigley/post/C56ve08OKt5/?xmt=AQGzW1VhB15C7uMjO1wc5RO6JSkOA6sMEpRuMyiqElcIaA

I saw this photo on Threads (second image) Any idea how he got the top DS screen on his TV and the bottom on his phone? When I do Airplay and plug in my Kishi controller, my phone just has the Airplay message on it.

I've been thinking of doing this myself on an iPhone 15 Pro Max -> LG C2. Currently have the Backbone Gen 2 in my Amazon cart & about to pull the trigger. This is gonna be nuts.

onhold4u

Oct 29, 2017
Iowa

View: https://www.threads.net/@brendonbigley/post/C56ve08OKt5/?xmt=AQGzW1VhB15C7uMjO1wc5RO6JSkOA6sMEpRuMyiqElcIaA

I saw this photo on Threads (second image) Any idea how he got the top DS screen on his TV and the bottom on his phone? When I do Airplay and plug in my Kishi controller, my phone just has the Airplay message on it.

He's actually playing a GBA rom hack that uses Platinum sprites, you can tell cuz of the UI and the aspect ratio.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I could only get one of the bin files to unzip yesterday, none of the other zip files do anything when I click them in Files.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
He's actually playing a GBA rom hack that uses Platinum sprites, you can tell cuz of the UI and the aspect ratio.

Ah! That makes sense. I was tinkering for ages yesterday trying to figure it out.

True, but I've seen people saying that it's possible to mirror one of the DS screens and keep the other on the phone, but I'm not sure on how you do it.

Hopefully this is true. Would be a dream.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this is true. Would be a dream.
I used to do this a long time ago with my Shield Portable. It obviously doesn't work well with some of the games that require both screens to be within your peripheral view, but is neat for other games. The emulator used though (DrasticDS) had an option to specify which DS screen would be projected to your external display, so I'm not sure how an IOS equivalent would work (maybe an option on the emulator to specify which DS screen gets sent to an airplay display?)
8Eznoss.jpg

Edit:
Lol, I guess that's exactly how it works as mentioned above.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Here's a pretty nice DS screen for Delta, especially for games that mostly use one screen in landscape: https://www.reddit.com/r/Delta_Emul...y_first_skin_dynamic_island_friendly_ds_skin/
Thanks so much for posting this. I've been looking for something like this!

I've downloaded a bunch of skins, but most of them don't seem to work. I guess because I'm on an iPhone SE and the skin creators didn't support it? Anyone know of good SE skins? I mainly want minimalist and/or buttonless ones with the largest screen area possible. I also like the ones that look like translucent consoles/controllers.
Delta has been around long enough that I have to imagine these skin's exist. Maybe if you search before a certain date? I remember downloading skins that fit my iPhone 6 back in the day, so I know they existed at some point.

OP
OP
SixtyTwoMike

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm trying to figure out this DS thing. The landscape mode seems to work properly. Just need to try a few different skins or make my own lol.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017

So I'm playing the GBA version and knew something was off. It's almost impossible to play

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I created a custom skin for Delta emulator on iOS so we can play MaBoShi DS in style.

https://blog.gingerbeardman.com/202...he-delta-classic-video-game-emulator-for-ios/

- combines both screens into one
- normal portrait iPhone orientation
- leaves a gap at the top for notch/dynamic island
- nice big d-pad in the centre of the display
- most of the screen is actually a button
- new: instructions in landscape orientation
- let's aim for 1 MILLION points!

delta-maboshi-deltaskin.png

Last edited:

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Idk about you guys, but just normal Air Play Screen mirroring is a lag fest, I don't think you could play much games with a what feels like to me a 0.5 second delay. I don't know if it changes using this app though, I have the Apple TV plugged in to Ethernet and iPhone on 5Gh WiFi. The idea is a dream come true though!

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
I believe this can be played through USB-C to HDMI on HDTV or Monitor without any lag, right?

It would be awesome portable emulation station if true. I just don't know how it scales for bigger screen

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
Idk about you guys, but just normal Air Play Screen mirroring is a lag fest, I don't think you could play much games with a what feels like to me a 0.5 second delay. I don't know if it changes using this app though, I have the Apple TV plugged in to Ethernet and iPhone on 5Gh WiFi. The idea is a dream come true though!
I haven't done much testing yet on my set up but I didn't experience any lag on Airplay.