RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Stop trying to be friends with me, I only want to interact with another person to crush them and prove my superiority. Stop congratulating me on my victories and complimenting my strength, it doesn't feel good unless I've made people angry or sad through my actions.
cd411404a2ad8d444340f5f68d0c80b949981718_hq.jpg

Need more rivals like Paul or Silver. Someone who has an edge but doesn't fully look the part.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
If I was supposed to like anyone in Final Fantasy X, just one character, then that was a pretty spectacular fail on Square's part. The only character I didn't mind was Kimahri, and that was because he just stood in the background and shut the fuck up for 95% of the game.

Stop trying to be friends with me, I only want to interact with another person to crush them and prove my superiority. Stop congratulating me on my victories and complimenting my strength, it doesn't feel good unless I've made people angry or sad through my actions.
Lol savage.

I like Lillie though.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London

Yeah I miss Gary and Silver, these guys get on my nerves.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Gregg from Night in the Woods reminds me way too much of someone i used to know, and i find everything about his character completely offputting as a result.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Everything nintendo, except for samus and, to an extent, kirby. I honestly don't know why, but its trademarked design really, really annoys me.
P.s: I do like inklings and the callamari sisters, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Ellie from Last of Us. I don't care about her so the game failed at that. Best parts were the ones you play solo or even winter where you play as her because of the gameplay.

New Sonic and friends. Classic Sonic is still cool but the new one? God damn. I hate the fact they gave him a mouth that talks, hedgehogs should stick to moaning and making animal voices instead.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the same, I have no issue with silent protagonists, I just really hated how Destiny 2 handled it and that awkward pause is one of the issues I had. In fact, this is the only game where I actually cared enough to hate having a silent protagonist. Anyways, just waiting for the next expansion so I can hate it all over again.

I kind of get the hint that they are going to kind of try to change it based on feedback, though I don't know how realistic it is to expect a lot of story changes. I guarantee we aren't getting a voiced guardian for the rest of the game, but Destiny 3 I imagine they'll look into it.

ahh uhh hmm.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Riki and Moogle hate makes me sad. Tora and Tatsu though, go for it.

Tales of is affected by this pretty hard. While the animal mascots aren't the sole reason I stopped playing Abyss and Berseria, they sure didn't help. Tales of Hearts' protagonist is the absolute worst though, I just remember them using his naivete as an excuse to let him be a sexist weirdo with no consequences and turned it off.

And while I like Teddie and Morgana from Persona 4 & 5 most of the time, their gross fetishization of women is really irksome. Here's hoping they never give Koromaru a voice because he is perfect & pure.

Also controversially I couldn't stand this bird for a while...

aorwjl5t6uglsqgfvg8m.png

Entirely because of that red moon shrine where you have to camp out and hear his looping ambient music for hooours. I didn't want to see him again for months, after which I wrapped up his questline and now I like him, but sheesh, they could have made that song less repetitive.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hate these puffballs tbh

gHh7UPq.jpg

Nopons is the very worst thing about the entire Xenoblade series. I have never been able to finish a game, and it's exclusively due to these great balls of shit. XC2 had many other reasons for making me quit, but the constant "mememe" drove me nuts to the point of my temperament making me feeling clinically insane. Yeah, I had to stop playing.

Moogles became absolutely intolerable the moment they got voice actors. Up until that point they were fine, so basically FFIX was the last time moogles didn't suck.

I used to love moogles, and in parts I still do, but it's mainly the FFIX kind. The voice actor they hired to do moogles is just awful, and the design in modern games is really bad too. They are trying so hard to make them adorably cute that they're just offputting. They used to be cute teddy bears with wings, but not any more. They should just make them silent characters, and instead have them do the chirping that they do in FFIX. Treat them like R2-D2/chewbacca characters that just speak a different language but are still understood by the people around them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta, everyone loves her here, but I don't. Like stuff where she randomly starts dancing, I just don't find funny.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Lemmings
lemmings.jpg

No, dont just jump off that cliff you f*cking c*nt...

Also design wise; Iota from Tearaway and Sackboy from LBP.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised I haven't seen Tingle from The Legend of Zelda mentioned yet, unless I skimmed over it.

People have already mentioned the worst offenders in Destiny but I'd say just about every character I'm supposed to like I end up hating. The writing just rubs me the wrong way. Every character is a caricature, and none of them are particularly interesting.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recent friends in pokemon, xy was the worst at this like damn if one is not enough here have a whole group!

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017

It's saying something when the modern attempts at making Sonic self aware result in less enjoyable stories than Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06. At least those were an enjoyable bad because they tried and failed. In the more recent games, they just know they're gonna have a terrible story, yet they decide to have a bunch of cutscenes anyways.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Daxter from the Jak series. Insufferable and terrible character.

Sometimes Teddie from Persona 4. It's kind of part of his character to try too hard though so I guess it sort of works.

Junkrat. I just hate characters like him.

Waluigi. His lack of character for years was at its best inoffensive and I just don't care for the weird casanova thing they've been doing with him lately. Hate his design and hate that he's still around.

Literally any Borderlands character.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD THAT THIS GUY LOOKS LIKE A POTATO!? BUT HE SAYS HE IS NOT FOOD!!!!!

c8ef60f5eeb98aa1b2d0268c5d3afc65-da104i0.jpg

LET'S RUN THAT JOKE A HUNDRED MORE FUCKIN' TIMES CAUSE IT IS HILARIOUS BEYOND GODDAMN BELIEF!!

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I really don't like Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. I found her personality and how she reacted to things kinda grating.

Also +1 to any and all friendly Pokemon "rivals". As someone earlier sad, I don't want my rival to be all "gee whiz, you sure are strong, but I'll get ya next time hehe!" Fuck Hau, and thank god for Gladion.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I legit hate the cast of Night in the Woods. Unbearable pandering trash.

Most Overwatch characters, as more often than not the pastiche of tropes put into their characterizations just has me looking at them as black holes of personality and lifeless. Tracer especially. The less I can hear "Cheers love, the cavalry's here!" in my life, the better.

This line winds me up every time I hear it.

Cheers Love is something you say as Thanks, so she's saying 'Thank You, the Cavalry's here'.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
hCK8Ljc.jpg

Please die in a fucking fire you rotten sacks of shit. Everyone says they're cute and endearing but I hate these vermin with every fiber of my being and then some.

Rabbids are weird, in the fact that going from the first game, you're not supposed to like them. Like, they're supposed to be irritating and insufferable.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tatsu from XCX was the worst. Just another problem from such a shitty game. Compared to Tatsu, I dont really find Tora annoying. I hated the way Rikki talked but I dont hate him either. Tatsu I hate and would like to run over with a car or a mech or a mech transformed into a car. Frankly they should just remove them entirely.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Any and all Tearaway characters, whatever their names are. Cloying, obsequious, hollow trash.

actually, other than sackboy himself (who, very wisely, is mute), just about any & all character & narrator dialogue in any media molecule game. it's all so extremely, desperately 'too clever by half', & it comes off as clumsy (&, yeah 'cloying') gibberish :) ...

Last edited:

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
The first game where he's perpetually pissed about Nate not making him rich, gets kidnapped for 3 quarters of the game and then does not much of anything until he reveals he jacked some gold? I guess you really liked his bride in a brothel joke?

Versus, say, Uncharted 3 where we see him fuck himself over to save a kid, become that childs father figure and then lovingly risk life and limb in situations he's too old to be in, because he'd never do anything to let that person down?

Lol can we start a Sully fanclub? This is perfect.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I feel like Naughty Dog thinks, mistakenly, that Nathan Drake is charming.
No, he is. He's morally good about life and death matters, but he's not just a friendly guy, he has some attitude to his friend and even strangers. I loved the silly touches with Jeff the camera man who Drake had no respect for and thus seemed dismissive of.

Very human character. Only part that sucks is the gameplay dissonance. Cracking one liners on violent headshots isn't in line with the tone of the cutscenes.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
nopons in any xenoblade game

after doing his quests I actually think tatsu is the best one, but that's not a compliment

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I'm fed up with Luigi's twee underdog bullshit. Any of the games that bother to give him characterisation have illustrated he's a petty, shit-talking jerk. In Paper Mario he's shown to be two-faced, jealous, and lazy. In Paper Mario 2, they make him more pro-active, and he bigs himself up whenever you see him, but talking to his partners re-contextualises his account of the events, often correcting his straight-up lies. In Mario & Luigi they repeatedly show off his laziness, cowardice and general buffoonery. Partners in Time even explicitly rates the fabric of his character, and says Luigi is unworthy. Heck, Luigi's own game series is about being afraid and falling for scams that even your gran wouldn't buy.

If we needed any more proof, the alt-universe Luigis are all horrible people too. Ingo from Ocarina of Time is a back-stabbing opportunist who made a deal with Ganondorf as soon as the chance presented itself. Then you have Louie from the Pikmin series, the piece of shit thief who has no qualms to sentence others to death through his selfish actions.

It's thematically fitting the Year of Luigi was one of Nintendo's worst years, because Luigi is the worst himself.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Agreed about Claptrap. I've never seen such a forced attempt to try and make a character funny.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD THAT THIS GUY LOOKS LIKE A POTATO!? BUT HE SAYS HE IS NOT FOOD!!!!!

c8ef60f5eeb98aa1b2d0268c5d3afc65-da104i0.jpg

LET'S RUN THAT JOKE A HUNDRED MORE FUCKIN' TIMES CAUSE IT IS HILARIOUS BEYOND GODDAMN BELIEF!!
If they ever make X2, I hope it is set after a timeskip and we find out that Tatsu got eaten by local fauna.

I haven't even played X, but that would be hilarious.

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The kid from God of War PS4. He is a hard headed unruly brat! I'll be happy when this story line is over, not to mention the norse setting. If they prolong this direction, I'm out.

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Any character that only talks in third person.

Also hate the baby voice they gave Yoshi.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Mario. The fucking dumb grin, moustache, big eyes... Oh and the way he speaks, itsa me... Fuck off! Everything about the character is over the top saccharin.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Everything Nintendo.
Especially Mario. Too bad his games are so damn exciting to play despite my distaste for the character.

Also, the "bro" character in every JRPG, who supposedly has a good heart but also happens to be a hopeless moron and is always getting everyone else in trouble.

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One mascot character I could take, since that's a jrpg staple ever, but make a whole race of them spanning 3 games that's too much.

But isn't this just a thing that sadly plagues most JRPGs? This obsessive need to have a mascot character/species? Nopons seem like this desperate attempt by Monolith to create this "enduring" creature that everyone will love, and they keep pushing them, giving them more stupid quirks every time in their meaningless attempt to make something people with like. Does anyone anywhere like Nopons?

How can the devs still live in the illusion that these characters are wanted in any capacity? I just don't get it. It frustrates me. It plagues so many series, and it's heavily impacting my enjoyment of a lot of games.