kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
This is some reality bending on a level I have rarely seen. You start with 24h DRM checks and somehow end up at Sony crossplay. It watches like payola.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Just because the biggest games are online doesn't mean I don't want my console to play sp games offline.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Will be nice to see a new Xbox generation under the helm of Phil Spencer. Although to be honest Xbox's first 3 years were really good this gen.

Titanfall
Dead Rising
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
Halo MCC
Halo 5
Forza Horizon 2
It's 2016+ that sucked

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nah. An always online console forced on the user was stupid then and is stupid now.

My internet went out a few weeks back for around three days; what would have happened had the Xbox One required online checks? Locked out of my games?

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Their plan comes to fruition 5 years later and they were right all along? No. They were a gen ahead. Always online might work this upcoming gen, but we weren't ready for it and now it's clear their intentions weren't for the betterment of the gamer.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
But why?

Engadget supported their opinion. Are you able to as well?

I honestly don't think I need to go into how anti-consumer the approach is. We know what it was and we know why they didn't do it. The reasons have not changed. They still apply today and they certainly were not right in 2013.

Saying it could work 5 years after the fact does not mean they were right. It means they were wrong.

(And it's still wrong today.)

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure my console is online all the time, that doesn't mean it should be forced to connect every 24 hrs. I travel with my console a lot with no network whatsoever so I play what doesn't need a connection.

The others I'm still iffy about. I can see some benefits but also negatives.

DontRaff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they were right let's see their Nextbox try the same thing and have no disc drive, no blu-ray player.

Let's test this theory, Engadget and see how it works out for Xbox and Phil Spencer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
microsoft was right in 2013 for what would happen in the future

the console market wasn't ready in 2013 though

they read the tea leaves correctly but they scared the shit out of consumers in the process who needed to reach that conclusion on their own

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't think this video makes the case that Microsoft was right. I could've told you that an always-online system could've worked back then, as WoW existed well before that. I still think Microsoft should've stuck to its original vision and doubled down on making the online experience so good that people wouldn't have wanted an offline experience. That said, I think Microsoft's issue was that Microsoft told people where things were going, rather than allowing it to happen more naturally.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft was wrong then and they're still wrong now. Can't wait to see them go in the streaming direction in two years with increased internet service prices and everyone rejects them yet again. It will be classic.

Nov 30, 2017
Fuck this shit. Last year due to an ice storm my internet was down for a month, what was I gonna do stare at a brick underneath my tv for that whole month?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The way they presented the Xbox One was a disaster, as was pointed out in the video. The fact is the largest games are online, and the majority of consoles are connected to the internet. Next gen will be a continuation of this, and the next step as streaming becomes a major factor

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Completely disagree. If you announced the E3 2013 Xbox One today, it'd still be torn to shreds. What Microsoft was saying about the state of gaming and its future then is still wrong. Yes, most game players are now absolutely comfortable with an always-online system, but they still want --no, demand-- all of the traditional expectations of a console pre-internet, too. And those expectations trump the successes of online services and games, as impressive as they are.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Be online should never be forced without a strong reason (multiplayer games should require to be online).

So they were wrong in the past and they wrong today.

Be online should be always optional.. you choose to buy an always online game... it is your decision.

If MS wants to be always online with their machine then I choose not to buy it like happened with gamers in 2013 and it will happen today.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The issue is more than the online was mandatory for the machine to work instead of an optional feature

My ps4 is always connected like the video implies, but at least I don't have this problem where I think that I'm forced to have it connected

That's what Microsoft fucked up (And the price and used games)

Deleted member 42221

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
They really really weren't. As someone who doesn't have great internet - in consistency or speed - Xbox's vision would exclude me from playing a lot of the time. And make no mistake - there is no tangible benefit to Microsoft's attempted schemes, other than smoke and mirrors PR.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Due to the very nature that we don't currently require 24hr DRM right now but we still have games that are always connected as well as games that do not require any internet connection. Why can't we have both?

Forcing a draconian 24hr online drm check on consumers was stupid then and will be stupid next gen. I dare Microsoft to try it next gen since Engadget thinks they are right.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
No thanks.

Yeah, I'm connected 99% of the time. That doesn't mean I want all my shit to stop working when my internet connection drops out.

Yes, use the internet for things like multiplayer that require it to function, obviously.

No, don't make things that don't require it depend on it. That should be equally fucking obvious.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but I still don't think always online is a good thing. And I don't think I ever will. Yes online functionality is in a lot of games, but it will never be in ALL games. And I definitely do not want it to be.

I honestly feel for my friend who lives in Nevada who's internet isnt' even 300KBPS and cuts out all the time due to only having 1 ISP in his area. It's seriously the most anti-consumer thing. It's always online DRM if the game does *not* need it.

Deleted member 4541

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having to connect to the internet every 24 hrs or your console won't work was bullshit & im glad it got the blow back it did. I understand & even to some extent agree with the idea of your console always being connected to the internet, but not having access to the internet for a few days should not result in your console not working.

Nov 11, 2017
They were right based on the always online stuff...which basically happened anyways without the extra benefits that we would have gotten.

They were terribly wrong about Kinect 2 though. That was a huge misstep.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The market wants a choice.

To have a camera or not. (X1 originally included the Kinect camera, which raised the costs. PS4 Camera was optional, and sold well to the people who wanted it.)

Online or offline. Not everyone can be online all the time. Shocker, I know.

Digital or physical games.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
But why?

Engadget supported their opinion. Are you able to as well?
So they are right now. What of the original vision has survived?

TV Focus. No
Always online DRM. No
Kinect. No
UI. No
Cloud supported game computing. MIA

Microsoft has some good services right now. None of which were present in the 2013 vision, other than some nebulous games are a service now. No shit. Guess who also has this vision EVERY FUCKING MARKET COMPETITOR SINCE THE END OF LAST GEN.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying KH2 on my PS4 right now, why would I want to be unable to play this offline game if something fucked happened to my internet for an extended period?

Gaga Dead Aunt

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were so right. And their games lineup ended our faves. Platformers AND walking sims? Nintendo and Sony shaking. If they get next gen right, they've got this.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The entire argument of the video is disingenuous. Consoles being perpetually connected to the internet for online multiplayer and streaming apps has little to do with needing a networked connection to play Last of Us, God of War, Halo, and so on by yourself without worrying that a random maintenance period will remove your ability to play single player.

Microsoft wasn't right even if multiplayer games are everywhere because no one was talking about multiplayer.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
They could try it again today and the response from both Sony and the general public would be exactly the same.

You can write your cute contrarian video scripts and try to rewrite history all you want, but the fact is that Microsoft was so wrong they're still reeling from those mistakes five years later, and they know better than anyone that, no, they were not right.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
They're still wrong though. The video fails to mention that the likes of Dota, League, and Fortnite are free. PUBG is half the price of a standard retail release. Overwatch was the only real equivalent yet nothing is stopping someone from handing their disc to a friend or selling it on their own. Besides, the market already decided who was right in the end.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
To be fair, they said you'd be able to connect the original Xbox One using your phone as a hotspot for a short check in.

I think they should've waited until the release of the Xbox one X to propose such a "radical" idea and it would've had a much better response. Probably mostly positive as opposed to almost unanimously negative other than a small percentage that were holding a "wait and see" approach

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
There is simply no consumer benefit to mandatory log-ins every 24 hours in order to access your game. If your internet or the console's network shits the bed for over 24 consecutive hours it would turn your console into a very expensive brick.