• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2013/06/06/license/

Like I mentioned before, there's obviously caveats, and it's obviously much more limited than "give or sell your disc to whoever you want at any time", but compared to "your Steam disc is tied to your account forever even if you don't want it anymore", the above is an improvement. I don't get why this is difficult to understand. And of course, we're both just discussing proposals here, as the console was never launched.

Sorry, "you can give a game once and solely at a publishers discretion" is... well, I really can't see how you can say with a straight face thats 'worth it' with the downside being literally everyone is treated like every game they purchased is a rolling 24 hour rental.

Uh, they matter to people who have bought them over the years, such as myself? And also, some of those retail boxes contain discs as well, and aren't just codes in a box.

I legitimately don't see why a code in a box - or an installer on a disk that cannot be used without registering the code in a box has anyone caring about the box part of that transaction.

Why that's considered such a shocking preference, to the point where people think I could only feel this way because I'm paid off by MS, seems odd to me.

Okay?
I mean, I might suspect it, but I never accused you of that.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Steamworks discs were digital codes in a box, even if they included some installation files. Once you activated them, they were tied to your account, forever.

For all intents and purposes, they were digital purchases. They are not in the same category as a console cartridge or disc.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I guess my response to that is that just because MS was the first to propose tying all of that together using a 24 hr check in, that does not mean it is in any way required to do so. All it means is that MS wanted to do it that way. Whether they decided to go that route out of necessity, ease of implementation, or greed/for control is entirely speculative.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
damn, so tempting to respond, last one for real this time? Maybe? lol

Why do you keep bringing up Steam discs in a discussion about MS trying to disrupt a decades old physical game market that hasn't existed for Steam, ever? It has literally nothing to do with this discussion.

Uh, physical games without internet-based DRM existed for a long time on PC before Steam came along as well. Steam "disrupted" that as well, it didn't just spring fully formed out of nowhere. These are pretty obvious parallels to discuss when another major gaming company is attempting to do a similar thing. I know it seems obvious now that little to no physical game market ever existed on PC, and everyone just fell in love with digital distribution immediately, but that would be a pretty ahistorical claim.

And of course, the entire rationale for attempting to disrupt the "decades old physical game market" is precisely because XB1/PS4 is the first generation where the physical media isn't actually needed to run the game (since the entire game is copied to a hard drive). Previous consoles needed the game to run off the physical media out of necessity, whereas XB1/PS4 don't (it does not read game data from the disc after it's been installed). Which also happens to be similar to PC, and it's why a discussion on how this has worked on PC is directly relevant.

Sorry, "you can give a game once and solely at a publishers discretion" is... well, I really can't see how you can say with a straight face thats 'worth it' with the downside being literally everyone is treated like every game they purchased is a rolling 24 hour rental.

And give a game once solely at a publisher's discrection is still better than "you buy it once, now it's stuck with you forever". And if "internet connection going down for days on end" and playing offline is not part of my actual typical use case, why would I be bothered by it? If I'm willing to take that risk, why do I need to somehow lessen my own preferences?

I legitimately don't see why a code in a box - or an installer on a disk that cannot be used without registering the code in a box has anyone caring about the box part of that transaction.

Not sure I follow.

Okay?
I mean, I might suspect it, but I never accused you of that.

Wasn't speaking to you specifically, but that's definitely the tone from a lot of other posts.

Steamworks discs were digital codes in a box, even if they included some installation files. Once you activated them, they were tied to your account, forever.

For all intents and purposes, they were digital purchases. They are not in the same category as a console cartridge or disc.

Uhhhhhh, that's the entire point. For all intents and purposes, Xbox One games on disc were digital purchases. They are not in the same category as (previous) console cartridges or discs. With the one exception that there were proposals to allow them to not tie them to your account forever. Yes, this was a huge change from past consoles, which is why it was being introduced on a brand new product and brand new generation, and not added onto an existing console.

The difference is that for you that's a massive drawback, where for me that would be a big benefit. I already buy most of my games digitally anyway, so being able to buy "digital" games from Best Buy, Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target, etc., and use my gift cards and rewards accounts, while still getting some benefits of quicker reinstalls, and still getting some benefits of trade-ins (even in a limited fashion), is an improvement over, well, not being able to do those things at all with my "digital" games that I'm forced to buy from Xbox Live or sketchy key resellers or download cards that don't even exist for every retail game.

I guess my response to that is that just because MS was the first to propose tying all of that together using a 24 hr check in, that does not mean it is in any way required to do so. All it means is that MS wanted to do it that way. Whether they decided to go that route out of necessity, ease of implementation, or greed/for control is entirely speculative.

Well sure, it's all speculative to some extent, until maybe someone does interviews with DRM experts and communicate the rationale behind different DRM approaches and what would make someone choose one approach over another. And I would love to read discussions from professionals on that. But like with anything else, it's up to me to decide if that drawback would be worth it or not, just as it's up to every customer to decide if a product works for them or not. If someone looks at the Xbox One and says "this shit sucks, I don't want it", that's perfectly valid. If someone looks at the Xbox One and says "you know what, based on how I use my console, the big drawback actually wouldn't affect me that much, and I like the other features, so I'm interested", that's valid too.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
The issue here is that the pros you saw weren't enabled by check in. The check in is a separate issue that by itself is not beneficial. Those pros could have come without a check in.
I mean, I can't really think of a way to make sure you aren't just giving your disks to other people and having both of you play at once.
The entire pro of the initial setup was that I could go buy a game at a physical store, get the physical disk, yet have the game itself be treated basically like a digital title. If I could do that today, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, physical games without internet-based DRM existed for a long time on PC before Steam came along as well. Steam "disrupted" that as well, it didn't just spring fully formed out of nowhere. These are pretty obvious parallels to discuss when another major gaming company is attempting to do a similar thing. I know it seems obvious now that little to no physical game market ever existed on PC, and everyone just fell in love with digital distribution immediately, but that would be a pretty ahistorical claim.

You really don't seem like someone who actually uses a PC because you're recounting all these claims about the PC market like someone who read a wiki entry or something rather than seeing how things actually went.
The advent of 'digital only' gaming on the PC was fucking Doom. In 1993. People were paying a monthly subscription fee to play Meridian 59 and never having a physical product or anything to resell. In 1996.
That's how long PC gamers have been comfortable with digital purchases for.

I don't know why you keep bringing up "steamworks retail disks" as though anyone had any expectation of resale for them.
There hasn't been resellable PC titles for-fucking-ever.
You keep trying to make this point that people are claiming there is no such thing as a retail presence for PC.
They're not.

They're telling you that reselling a physical copy of a PC game has basically not existed since the advent of the internet.
It is not a customer expectation that they will be able to do that.
Because there is no other DRM on owning a PC.
Some kind of anti-piracy copy protection (DRM before it was even called DRM) has been present in PC gaming since the very start.
And any copy-protection that does not involve a physical dongle inherently cannot be easily resold.

Like... I honestly don't know why this is debatable, other than a seeming desire to push the original X1 plans as a brave attempt to change a market, and not what they actually were: a cynical attempt to control a market.

I mean, I can't really think of a way to make sure you aren't just giving your disks to other people and having both of you play at once.
The entire pro of the initial setup was that I could go buy a game at a physical store, get the physical disk, yet have the game itself be treated basically like a digital title. If I could do that today, I would do so in a heartbeat.

I mean... I don't get the desire to have a physical disk that is not a physical disk in utility. Whats the point?
Great, you have a physical product to say that you have a physical product, but it doesnt behave in any of the ways a physical product actually would behave.
That was like, the entire point of the backlash.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I mean... I don't get the desire to have a physical disk that is not a physical disk in utility. Whats the point?
Great, you have a physical product to say that you have a physical product, but it doesnt behave in any of the ways a physical product actually would behave.

I don't buy physical games, but if I was able to have them function as digital titles, then I would in a heartbeat. It would also have had digital sales competing directly with physical.
The main thing for me would have been being able to take advantage of physical game sales, which are still almost always better than digital ones. The second thing would have been some kind of "used digital game" marketplace. Dunno how they would have made it work, but I'm sure something was going to happen.
The third thing for me was the family sharing. Back then I didn't really care for it that much, but today I'm gamesharing and getting pretty much every major game half off right away (if not more with sales). If I could have taken that to the next level, then it would have been a major pro for me.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy physical games, but if I was able to have them function as digital titles, then I would in a heartbeat. It would also have had digital sales competing directly with physical.

So how Steamworks retail disks work then, where what you buy is a code in a box and thats what you're buying, the disk has nothing to do with it, and there is price competition between retailers because there isn't a single authority solely selling cd keys?

The third thing for me was the family sharing. Back then I didn't really care for it that much, but today I'm gamesharing and getting pretty much every major game half off right away (if not more with sales). If I could have taken that to the next level, then it would have been a major pro for me.

I mean, I don't know what you mean by "taking family sharing to the next level", but if you think anyone would allow for 10 people to split the cost of a game and then play it simultaneously forever without any additional restrictions beyong a 24 hour check in, I have a bridge to sell you.
Publishers won't even sign up to Play Anywhere where you lose 1 sale on a different platform.
But they'll sign up to losing 9 sales on a platform?

come on...

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
They still aren't the point is that it needs/ed to be a choice and not a system/platform wide mandate. I can still do plenty of things with my console without internet and that's important as fuck instead of the stupid vision they wanted to sell. Pretty sure we still have a lot of places that still don't have the infrastructure to support the always online that was sold to us by MS in 2013.

There is a clear difference in some games with big audiences requiring always online vs all games/services/basic functionality requiring always online. But sure it's always easy to argue if you live with the privilege of great internet.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
You know it's about time for a new gen when the media starts to preemptively carry water for a console manufacturer. It's going to be the same corporate ballwashing cycle of the media telling consumers we are entitled for not wanting something that has real drawbacks and nebulous benefits again, isn't it? Do people not remember that garbage, where (mostly the US) media bought MS's entire spiel wholesale with SonyToo rhetoric until Sony maintaining the status quo and overwhelming negative gamer sentiment forced them to maybe admit that MS was wrong months later? Is the corporate shilling by the games media already beginning so soon?
Exactly right.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
You know it's about time for a new gen when the media starts to preemptively carry water for a console manufacturer. It's going to be the same corporate ballwashing cycle of the media telling consumers we are entitled for not wanting something that has real drawbacks and nebulous benefits again, isn't it? Do people not remember that garbage, where (mostly the US) media bought MS's entire spiel wholesale with SonyToo rhetoric until Sony maintaining the status quo and overwhelming negative gamer sentiment forced them to maybe admit that MS was wrong months later? Is the corporate shilling by the games media already beginning so soon?

This is why I can never take the media seriously, the media has begun their used car salesman speech, more articles are bound to pop up. Their opinions will never factor in my choice.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So how Steamworks retail disks work then, where what you buy is a code in a box and thats what you're buying, the disk has nothing to do with it, and there is price competition between retailers because there isn't a single authority solely selling cd keys?

I mean, I don't know what you mean by "taking family sharing to the next level", but if you think anyone would allow for 10 people to split the cost of a game and then play it simultaneously forever without any additional restrictions beyong a 24 hour check in, I have a bridge to sell you.
Publishers won't even sign up to Play Anywhere where you lose 1 sale on a different platform.

come on...
Naw, I never really bought the whole 10 person sharing thing, though I did think it would be an improved version of the system we have today. Which still would have been a positive for me.

As for Steamworks retail disks, I'm actually not really sure how it works. I'll be looking into it. Though the ironic thing there is that when it comes to PC sales, digital sales are almost always better.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, let's just take this bit by bit.

The DRM policies of CD's are not the same as blu-rays are not the same as games. We can be reductive and say it's an issue of cost to produce, cost to implement and cost to replicate. However it is kind of funny that Ultraviolet exists so we have a universe where it's possible to "download" the rights to a movie without losing the consumer right to resell the blu-ray.

Furthermore, even if we want to be overly simplistic and say physical game discs are just DRM, that are DRM that is freely exchangeable because they don't need to be tied to a piece of hardware or an account to function, and therefore practically the designation of calling it DRM doesn't change that it's a complete product that can be freely sold or lent. Any change to this system is not done out of necessity, and factually limits the previous rights of the consumer, so therefore it is objectively anti-consumer. This is not a debate.

And I'm sorry, but you are the one trying to move the goalposts. When I made my comment this morning it was very specifically and clearly about the rights of ownership of physical media and the folly of a semantic, technicality-laden argument centered around licenses.

What is so gosh dang difficult about the concept that I can currently sell my copy of God of War on eBay if I want, and if Sony wanted to prevent that from happening in the future it's just flat out, inarguably anti-consumer? You are trying so hard to do everything but address that very simple concept because I think deep down you know you're wrong. That's why you keep bringing up DRM polices for PC when we are talking about the Xbox One.

There's nothing difficult about the "concept" that you can freely sell you physical game under the current console physical model. At no point have I argued that you can't... you talk about changing the topic at hand, but your post focuses on something that you couldn't possiblly go back to quote me on, because I'd never once made the claim.

You accused me of "whataboutism" for citing examples that directly answer a question that was in contention ("are current console discs a form of DRM"). Seeing as this was something that cakely disagreed was the case I provided two example comparisons that illustrated how they are. The first was an example everyone tends to agree IS reliant on DRM (a Steamworks disc), and another that I would assume everyone would agree ISN'T reliant on DRM (your average music CD). Using these it's possible to illustrate how a physical disc can provide you with all the data required for a game to run, and yet lack the license to run it... or how if a specific license isn't required to run it, how the disc's presence isn't required at all once the data has been copied to the device that plays it.

What a physical PS4 game in this case then represents is a combination of both the game's data AND the license required to play it. So yes, it then follows that this is easily transferable because when you sell or give the game to someone else, you are transferring both the content and the rights to play it simultaneously. the difference with something that actually doesn't rely on DRM, is that selling the disc doesn't make the local copy of the data unusable, because it doesn't require that you prove your right to access it each and every time you attempt to.

This is relevant to a discussion about the user's rights to access the content, because it's literally the mechanism that provides it. Physical DRM is easily transferable, but very rigid in regards to where you can access it. Digital DRM is typically less transferable (generally not at all), but provides greater flexibility in regards to where you can access it. The proposed Xbox One plans sat somewhere in between. License transfer was more rigid than physical games are today, but not as a rigid as today's digital licenses. Access was simultaneously more and less rigid than both of today's models. It was more rigid in that you had to connect to reauthenticate periodically, but less rigid in that it could be accessed online in more than place simultaneously, with less limitation on which devices these both were.

You have multiple times emphasized as a retort that the DRM policies BluRays are not the same as physical games. You've also driven down to establish that one type of physical game (say a PS4 game) is not the same DRM policies as another type of physical game (a Steamworks disc). What puzzles me, is that you then can't seem to make the logical leap that their could be two types of console physical games, each with different DRM policies. If comparing the policies of a PS4 physical disc to a Steamworks disc is simply "whataboutism", then the same would then apply to comparing a pre-180 Xbox One disc to a PS4 disc. It's not though, because such comparisons ARE relevant to the topic in both cases. This is also the case with you mentioning Ultraviolet. It's not irrelevant to the discussion simply because it applies to BluRay and not game consoles, because functionally it would be possible to apply to both.

The mention of Ultraviolet is actually a legitimately good point to bring up, and would actually be something that would leave me reasonably content as a widespread alternative. The thing here though, is that it's not actually an alternative that would be provided by the platform holder. As far as I can tell, there is currently nothing today preventing any existing publisher from offering you both a download code ala PUBG AND a separate physical disc in the same box under any of the current digital platform models. I'm not surprised that this doesn't happen though, as unlike a BluRay, a physical video game disc doesn't provide a higher quality product to its digital counterpart, and so there would be a huge incentive for a user to immediately sell either the physical disc or the digital license whilst retaining full access to the game themselves.

Last edited:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
No, because people who go all digital on a non-fucked-up system aren't fucking trading anything.

Disk DRM:
- must have disk in drive
- freely resellable to anyone
- 'just works'

Steam:
- single account check verification once on install
- go offline as long as you fucking want, game still works
- items bound to account, can only resell by reselling account (actively against TOS)

Xbox One BOHICA:
- Disk don't mean shit, go online
- Can't resell to anyone not authorised by MS at prices fixed by MS and that reseller
- Can't play shit if any of the links in the chain break between you and a remote authentication server that may or may not even exist doesn't respond every 24 hours

Your imaginary idiocy:
- All the benefits of digital!
- None of the drawbacks!
- Split the cost of a game amongst 10 people and all play that game simultaneously against each other!

There was literally never any indication that users would be able to transfer licences to other users.
Like... you're literally saying its 'better' because everyone was an equal footing because nobody ever actually owned any of their games.

What?
Nobody is saying retail disks that are just a download redemption code don't exist.
I'm saying retail oxes that are just a digital redemption code don't fucking matter to the end user.
They are well aware that it is a redemption code in a box.
The "physicality" (or more accurately - complete lack thereof) doesn't matter.
They are buying a digital good and they are well aware that they are buying a digital good. They have zero fucking expectations that they can give that code to someone else and it will work.

You really don't seem like someone who actually uses a PC because you're recounting all these claims about the PC market like someone who read a wiki entry or something rather than seeing how things actually went.
The advent of 'digital only' gaming on the PC was fucking Doom. In 1993. People were paying a monthly subscription fee to play Meridian 59 and never having a physical product or anything to resell. In 1996.
That's how long PC gamers have been comfortable with digital purchases for.

I don't know why you keep bringing up "steamworks retail disks" as though anyone had any expectation of resale for them.
There hasn't been resellable PC titles for-fucking-ever.
You keep trying to make this point that people are claiming there is no such thing as a retail presence for PC.
They're not.

They're telling you that reselling a physical copy of a PC game has basically not existed since the advent of the internet.
It is not a customer expectation that they will be able to do that.
Because there is no other DRM on owning a PC.
Some kind of anti-piracy copy protection (DRM before it was even called DRM) has been present in PC gaming since the very start.
And any copy-protection that does not involve a physical dongle inherently cannot be easily resold.

Like... I honestly don't know why this is debatable, other than a seeming desire to push the original X1 plans as a brave attempt to change a market, and not what they actually were: a cynical attempt to control a market.

come on...

Over the course of the last page or so, you've basically demonstrated that you either don't know what you're talking about, or that you're deliberately misrepresenting facts for your own convenience. You've also demonstrated the you're either failing to comprehend much of what people are posting, or you're deliberately opting to misconstrue what people are posting because the strawman you're setting up requires it.

Now, those are some pretty strong allegations I just made, right? And so it would probably be best that I substantiate them. So here we go:

Deliberately misconstrued, or simply flat out failed comprehension: In last response you wrote directly to me, you claim that I suggest the proposed hybrid model would have "all the benefits of digital" with "none of the drawbacks". You also claim that I'm purporting that 10 people would all be able to play the same game simultaneously. So then, I challenge you to quote me on any post where I've stated either of these. I already know of multiple of my posts in this thread that explicitly contradict either of these claims, but linking to them in this post would be no fun. You shouldn't have any problems though, right?

Either you don't know what you're talking about, or you're deliberately misrepresenting facts: Firstly you tried to claim that "there was literally never any indication that users would be able to transfer licences to other users", which of course is a requirement to be true as part of your claim that going people choosing to go all-digital on the current systems "aren't fucking trading anything". soul creator shot you down with a direct link to a page that officially outlines plans for users to be able to transfer content, and whether or not you personally think that's worth an online authentication is irrelevant. There were plans to offer a benefit to digital content that doesn't exist in the current system.

Secondly, the nonsense you state about "there hasn't been resellable PC titles for-fucking-ever". This is quite frankly, horseshit. Doom wasn't the advent of "digital-only" on the PC back in 1993, AT ALL. I had a (somewhat shitty) IBM 486 SX-25 PC at the time Doom released in 1993. You know what I didn't have yet (and wouldn't have at home for another 6 years)?... The fucking internet. I'd buy my PC games from major high-street retailers like Electronics Boutique, HMV or Woolworths, where they sat prominently alongside console games. They would be largely delivered as floppy discs (and often available direct from the developer via mail order as well), and this continued as the games transitioned onto CDs for games like Tomb Raider and Quake 2. Up to this point, none of these games required any form of online authentication or even a CD key be entered. What some of them DID require however, was that the disc be in the drive when you went to load it up, very similar to how discs work on consoles today. Of course this was easily defeated with simple "No CD" cracks as more people found their way online, and this in turn lead to a decline in retail presence for PC games. With the rise of online gaming becoming something more average households had access to, we saw the increased prominence of the "CD key". The CD key was only really effective with the increased online gaming relevance, because locally it didn't discriminate between installations. So I can today download any copy of Quake 3 Arena for PC and use the CD key that I still remember from my original copy bought back in 2000 (bought used from Computer Exchange btw). The CD key was only effective at preventing me from playing Quake 3 online from multiple computers at the same time.. offline it was infinitely duplicable (which as you can probably imagine got massively abused for LAN environments).

So, in 2004 Steam debuts as a required client for the release of Half-Life 2, and everybody absolutely fucking despises it... but it's fucking Half-Life 2, and it's the only way, so they install it and authenticate anyway. At this point in time it is absolutely NOT clear to anyone buying physical PC discs that a disc that authenticates with Steam (with a similar looking serial number to the CD key they'd be used to seeing) will result in a game that can't be resold or given to someone else. Take a look at these two Amazon listings, for two games released around the same time, and tell me if without prior knowledge, the difference in DRM models is clear.

Half-Life 2 (PC DVD)
Doom 3 (PC DVD)

This is something that over time the PC community has learned to assume simply as a result of it becoming the status quo, and it certainly didn't occur overnight. Here's 2007's Sega Rally Revo for example, still not requiring Steam, and being freely resellable 3 years later. If anything the situation with Steam was far muddier and more confusing, because there was no clean transition point where one disc that was resellable was clear and easily identified as being so from another that isn't resellable. This confusion still extends into the current day where many games that are Steamworks locked are still regularly listed as used on eBay despite the disc being of little use to anyone else for anything other than installation.

So no... PC gaming hasn't always had restrictions in line with what Steam brought to the platform in regards to physical media, and the argument that "there's no customer expectation" for that is less sound than it was for the initial Xbox One (especially during the phase of it being introduced), because it wasn't applied consistently from the outset.

Now with all that out of the way, I want to address a glaring contradiction in your posts (and to be frank, many that are made on this topic). You suggest that there would be nothing of note that would benefit a user such as myself, and that there would only be drawbacks applied to everyone universally, except the platform owner and publishers. However, you simultaneously argue that it's naive or fanciful to believe that publishers would allow some of the cited benefits to exist. So you're simultaneously arguing that the plans would be anti-consumer and at the same time details of them would be too pro-consumer to possibly be real. In regards to your main point of contention for this though, let me help you out by clarifying (again). Nobody here that was "for" the previous system believes that publishers would sign off on 10 people splitting the cost of a game and all jumping online together (shit, they got at Sony for allowing 5 concurrent digital users at the launch of the PS3). No, the details were (if you can to actually read them properly rather than make them up as you go along) that the account holder and ONE of the 10 family accounts could access the library at any one time. So, at max you'd have 2 people online playing the same game... or in fact any games from the same library. This is much like how Steam family sharing works, except you wouldn't have to sacrifice being able to play your own games online, in order for one other person to be doing so at the same time.

Seeing as you also apparently understand that as platform holder is still beholden to publisher demands, you should also now be able to see how what would effectively result in an easily duplicable solution (discs providing the console with a permanent offline license) would likely not be a realistic option for a platform holder to take. GoG offers a far less restrictive digital model than Steam does... but as a result most major publishers will refuse to publish new software to it. That's fine for a single storefront, but would outright kill any platform where that storefront represents 100% of its available library.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over the course of the last page or so, you've basically demonstrated that you either don't know what you're talking about, or that you're deliberately misrepresenting facts for your own convenience. You've also demonstrated the you're either failing to comprehend much of what people are posting, or you're deliberately opting to misconstrue what people are posting because the strawman you're setting up requires it.

Not really, but coming from the person who has written the posts that you have in this topic, I find the notion that I'm the one inventing my own facts pretty amusing.

- The implication being made was that end users could freely exchange licences.
Never planned, was never going to happen.
"A one time only gifting at the publishers discretion" is such a weak ass 'defence' of the concept of trading, selling and exchanging between customers is literally laughable to bring up as an example of trade.

- Exceptions don't disprove trends.
PC games have consisted of one use verification codes for well over a decade. Without that code the titles were useless.
Retailers would not buy 'second hand' PC games, because it was more effort than it was worth to maintain a database of which specific titles did or did not have a one use code, so they didn't offer trade ins for Pc games.

- Advent means 'beginning' not 'end'.
I don't really give a shit how you played Doom or when you got the internet. It spawned a giant uptick in BBS usage as a primary software distribution system.
The iPhone was the advent of smartphones. It doesn't really matter that you didn't own a smart phone until a Lumia.
Direct2Drive was the first major digital games distribution platform. It doesn't really matter that you think it was Steam with HL2.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap - that's a name i haven't heard of in a lonnnng time.

And they squandered their early mover advantage and market share lead by having restrictions that were worse for the end user compared to the competition (in D2Ds case that all games had to have a special D2D executable and D2D monitored patching, which frequnetly came in late if at all).

Feel free to draw your own parallels to MSs position as de facto generation leader and expectations that Sony were done in the console space at the start of this generation prior to MS throwing it all away with their shitty DRM and ad-server middleman kinect-voyeurism plans.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Can't watch the video right now but I'm guessing it has to do with the always online part? The answer is no. As someone who was without internet for 4 months after the wake of hurricane maria in Puerto Rico, how would I have played? I got my power back around the 45th day.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Not really, but coming from the person who has written the posts that you have in this topic, I find the notion that I'm the one inventing my own facts pretty amusing.

- The implication being made was that end users could freely exchange licences.
Never planned, was never going to happen.
"A one time only gifting at the publishers discretion" is such a weak ass 'defence' of the concept of trading, selling and exchanging between customers is literally laughable to bring up as an example of trade.

- Exceptions don't disprove trends.
PC games have consisted of one use verification codes for well over a decade. Without that code the titles were useless.
Retailers would not buy 'second hand' PC games, because it was more effort than it was worth to maintain a database of which specific titles did or did not have a one use code, so they didn't offer trade ins for Pc games.

- Advent means 'beginning' not 'end'.
I don't really give a shit how you played Doom or when you got the internet. It spawned a giant uptick in BBS usage as a primary software distribution system.
The iPhone was the advent of smartphones. It doesn't really matter that you didn't own a smart phone until a Lumia.
Direct2Drive was the first major digital games distribution platform. It doesn't really matter that you think it was Steam with HL2.

Dude... if the mere existence of a digital content/subscription provider is supposed to be the catalyst of an "digital only" marketplace, and not you know... some that actually turns physical purchases into digital ones... then consoles reached that point in 1994 with Sega Channel. It took like 3hrs+ to download a 40mb Unreal Tournament demo on 56k, with a single CD weighing in at 700mb... do the math, physical was king in the PC realm past the turn of the century.

And yes, I'm asserting that you are making up your own facts because you very blatantly are, and I even offered proof of that being the case. You say stores wouldn't buy your PC game? I just told you that in 2000 (7 years after you claim PC games were "digital only") CeX not only bought someone's copy of Quake III Arena, but they then sold it to me. Hell, they'll still do this today
CeX_zpsmagglhyz.png

Now, don't get me wrong a lot of the larger stores wouldn't be assed carrying used PC games at this point... but that didn't mean they weren't resellable or giftable. That honestly doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, because major stores won't be looking to buy your used music CDs or DVDs either. If you wanted to give your physical PC game to someone, you still could, they'd just have to trust that you wouldn't still be attempting to use the CD key still for yourself online (offline would have no effect on them). And that consideration only even applied to games that actually even had a CD key. Pick up a copy of Tomb Raider or Quake II, and see if it even asks for one. The simple fact is that PC games didn't always have one-time use installs. That only really came into affect with the overarching digital clients like Steam and GFWL where the purchase became tied to a specific user account, and you now couldn't see someone the license to a single individual game, without effectively selling them your account with your entire library. There is a very definitive before and after situation with physical PC games... and no Direct2Drive wouldn't be it, because Direct2Drive didn't impact the physical software that sat on store shelves.

To be honest, even ignoring the specific details that you're managing to mangle, you wouldn't have much of a point with all this anyway. If your argument was that Direct2Drive ushered in the digital PC market, and prepared everyone for PC physical discs merely being download codes and installation files, back in 2004... then consoles themselves have a long history with digital distribution also.. even ignoring the earliest examples from the 90s, from the original Xbox Live Arcade back on the OG Xbox in 2004 also, expanded in the following generation to offer full retail games. Your argument pretty much boils down to download options just needing to exist long enough, before it's ok to move to the next step of turning the physical discs into digital purchases also. Steam was MONTHS after Direct2Drive launched, I've owned Geometry Wars on XBL for 13 YEARS. It's one of the flimsiest arguments you could possibly be making.

Oh, and again with the deliberate misconstruing to set up a strawman... go back and quote which of us you're arguing with implied that the proposed model would let you transfer licenses "freely" without limitations. You won't be able to, just as you weren't able to quote the posts where I supposedly claimed 10 people would all be playing online at once. We're all saying that even partially restricted license transfers would be personally preferable to the complete and absolute lack of digital transfers today. If you want to argue against that then that's fine, but quit literally making up shit to argue against.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and again with the deliberate misconstruing to set up a strawman... go back and quote which of us you're arguing with implied that the proposed model would let you transfer licenses "freely" without limitations. You won't be able to, just as you weren't able to quote the posts where I supposedly claimed 10 people would all be playing online at once. We're all saying that even partially restricted license transfers would be personally preferable to the complete and absolute lack of digital transfers today. If you want to argue against that then that's fine, but quit literally making up shit to argue against.

If you want to talk deliberately misconstruing something, saying "Its better because I can trade licences!" without the absolute necessary qualifiers "Once only and solely at publishers discretion" is where that lands.
Thats not fucking 'partially restricted'.

I really can't be bothered to argue with you because;
1) I really don't give enough of a shit. People that play Pc games know what the market looked like then, they know what the market looks like now, and their games aren't rolling 24 hour rentals.
2) You can believe what-the-fuck-ever you want about how MS would have treated your licences. MS are the same people that killed off the original XBL and your prized geometry wars is only usable because they added BC, which you can choose to believe would definitely have happened anyway and wasn't a hail mary to stay relevant but thats still a belief. Immediately following killing off the 360 they 'accidentally' killed off access to all GFWL customers purchases, and it was only after pressure to fix their shit they got around to allowing them to be redownloaded on a temporary basis. You might blindly trust MS, a lot of people do not.
3) Their shitty DRM plans were scuppered by public outcry. Nobody actually gives a shit how badly you personally might have wanted them. The public at large did not. Cry about that all you want.

own-games-longer-than-24-hours-counter-terrorists-win.jpg

Last edited:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
If you want to talk deliberately misconstruing something, saying "Its better because I can trade licences!" without the absolute necessary qualifiers "Once only and solely at publishers discretion" is where that lands.
Thats not fucking 'partially restricted'.

I really can't be bothered to argue with you because;
1) I really don't give enough of a shit. People that play Pc games know what the market looked like then, they know what the market looks like now, and their games aren't rolling 24 hour rentals.
2) You can believe what-the-fuck-ever you want about how MS would have treated your licences. MS are the same people that killed off the original XBL and your prized geometry wars is only usable because they added BC, which you can choose to believe would definitely have happened anyway and wasn't a hail mary to stay relevant but thats still a belief. Immediately following killing off the 360 they 'accidentally' killed off access to all GFWL customers purchases, and it was only after pressure to fix their shit they got around to allowing them to be redownloaded on a temporary basis. You might blindly trust MS, a lot of people do not.
3) Their shitty DRM plans were scuppered by public outcry. Nobody actually gives a shit how badly you personally might have wanted them. The public at large did not. Cry about that all you want.

own-games-longer-than-24-hours-counter-terrorists-win.jpg

Lol... since we've reach the "you throwing your toys out the pram" stage of the discussion, yea it's probably best to stop here. What was suggested was "partially restricted"... because the only other options would be "fully restricted" or "fully unrestricted", and neither of those were the case. I'm fine, life goes on and I get by just find with the current model. I merely stated why I'd personally have preferred what was suggested before, which for some reason is enough to send you and many other posters into a rambling fit of contradictions and strawmen.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I said this before, but its a nonsense argument. Because most gamers play online, therefore online should be enforced? Like why are people stanning for blatantly anti-consumer practices?

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anthem is online only, the backlash is far less severe than what Microsoft had to endure at the time.

The DRM check-ins etc. may have been too much but the idea of always online is something that is here to stay. For example, Black Ops 4, one of the biggest releases this Fall, is based off online only gameplay...

Microsoft was ahead of it's time in this regard.

Games that require online is one thing, and may or may not be justified in context. There is no justification for an entire console to be online-only, however. There is no benefit.

(Plus, Black Ops IIII is a bad example, because it'll probably have local multiplayer...)

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"The world was ready for an online only console in 2013" what kind of revisionist history is this? It's 2018 and I still don't own a single thing that doesn't work if there is no internet. My phone can still function as a phone without internet, my PC can still play games etc without internet. But you're telling me my console HAS to be online to work. Honestly fuck off.

I'm sorry random tech journalist the market decides who was right not you.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I said this before, but its a nonsense argument. Because most gamers play online, therefore online should be enforced? Like why are people stanning for blatantly anti-consumer practices?

Tribalism. It was obviously a terrible choice at the time and even with the gaming landscape changing, it isn't a practical option for many.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I mean to me, this is a blatantly clickbait article; it doesn't make an argument really for WHY it would've been a good idea.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As someone with an Xbox One after they backtracked from their original policies, I'm much, MUCH happier with how Xbox One has turned out compared to its original always-online, Kinect-driven reveal.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
- Being able to install a game off a physical disc copy and then play it whenever you want without the disc being in the tray wouldn't work without online checks because otherwise an unlimited number of people could install off a single disc
- Loaning a digital game couldn't happen because without online checks the game can't be tagged as loaned / returned

And the worst part is everybody's XB/PS is always online anyways. We lost out on the potential benefits of always-connected machines *while having always-connected machines* because some people are hung up on hypotheticals they pretend are common.

"Would you like to run this game digitally? Your disk will be locked exclusively to this console, and an online check-in every 24 hours will be required."

Boom, easy as that. It would be a nice option, if it was just that - an option.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't right then, won't be right now.

Always online requirements are nonsense and having internet issues shouldn't lock me out of games I own.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When i dont have internet on pc, i dont even bother playing games that arnt from the last 15 year. I juast load up a snes rom or something and wait for the internet to come back. Steam gives me enough of a headache loading WITH internet

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
A big part of the reason we have paid online now is the army of people who were arguing it was a good thing because that happened to be the side they were on.

I had never seen people rooting for something bad en masse like that online. And it's only gotten worse since.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I don`t get what Engadget has been smoking. The always online was never implemented to improve our online experience with the Xbox One. It was necessary to prevent us from playing used game. They thought that they would get away with it because PC does, but in the end it was the restriction of PC`s without any of the benefits, and they still lack the benefits as of today (like Steam sales). And don`t get my started with "but Microsoft would allow us to trade and sell digital games". They probably never planned on doing that. That was some vision they threw in after the massive backlash, and they still weren`t able to tell us exactly how it was going to work. Optional offline mode will never ruin a game with great online features while playing online. Being a weak always online console they instead tried to sell us a lie. Always online would make the console that much powerful. One guy over at Microsoft even said that this would probably be the last console you had to buy because of the power of the cloud.

Last edited: