McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
No, because the DVDs aren't part of the Netflix service. You're now making an aren't regarding platform exclusivity.

"whataboutism" is only a valid retort if looking to deflect from a topic with an unrelated one to avoid addressing a point. Steamworks disc are directly related to the argument that console discs are a form of DRM. You chose to engage that discussion. Another type of disc directly connected to that topic is the CD, as I mentioned before. A general CD player also doesn't have the means to make changes to files and/or create copies of the content, but they typically don't function as a form of DRM either. The physical discs you have for consoles are the way they are, because they want you to prove you're not stealing it. That's what DRM is for. And a CD player is at least playing the content from the CD at the time.

I genuinely don't understand the point you're making and I question if you do. Because let's actually think about this. You buy a CD. Hey, guess what you can resell that CD no problem on eBay. Or, you can loan the CD to a friend.

Same thing with a blu-ray. Same thing with a PS4 game. Whattaboutism is not a valid form of discussion, and furthermore you keep trying to frame the discussion as being about DRM when the discussion is about consumer rights and more specifically about the practical implications of owning physical media.

Steamwork discs are not directly related because PC and consoles are so inherently different that it boggles my mind you can understand that basic concepts to why things function differently. As another poster put it consoles are in a way hardware DRM, and I could argue PC's have a built in, not even necessarily difficult way to supersede DRM. So even on your own terms the argument is flawed.

So again, instead of trying to contort the conversation into something it's not.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, the difference with those is that you chose to mention "digital benefits" at the point where it suited your stance, but ignore any benefit someone that chooses to buy into an all-digital system that trades permanent offline for more other digital benefits may find appealing.

No, because people who go all digital on a non-fucked-up system aren't fucking trading anything.

Disk DRM:
- must have disk in drive
- freely resellable to anyone
- 'just works'

Steam:
- single account check verification once on install
- go offline as long as you fucking want, game still works
- items bound to account, can only resell by reselling account (actively against TOS)

Xbox One BOHICA:
- Disk don't mean shit, go online
- Can't resell to anyone not authorised by MS at prices fixed by MS and that reseller
- Can't play shit if any of the links in the chain break between you and a remote authentication server that may or may not even exist doesn't respond every 24 hours

Your imaginary idiocy:
- All the benefits of digital!
- None of the drawbacks!
- Split the cost of a game amongst 10 people and all play that game simultaneously against each other!

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
No, because the DVDs aren't part of the Netflix service. You're now making an aren't regarding platform exclusivity.

Wait, why would Netflix tie the useability of a physical media to an always online, 24hr. checkin licensing service? Isnt the no fuss, stand-alone nature of disc-based media one of its strongest point?

Also, even those retail offline game CD's containing Steam keys can be played OFFLINE indefinitely after the first online activation because of Steam's Offline mode.

Are we circling back to where we were before?

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely don't understand the point you're making and I question if you do. Because let's actually think about this. You buy a CD. Hey, guess what you can resell that CD no problem on eBay. Or, you can loan the CD to a friend.

Same thing with a blu-ray. Same thing with a PS4 game. Whattaboutism is not a valid form of discussion, and furthermore you keep trying to frame the discussion as being about DRM when the discussion is about consumer rights and more specifically about the practical implications of owning physical media.

Steamwork discs are not directly related because PC and consoles are so inherently different that it boggles my mind you can understand that basic concepts to why things function differently. As another poster put it consoles are in a way hardware DRM, and I could argue PC's have a built it, not even necessarily difficult way to supersede DRM. So even on your own terms the argument is flawed.

So again, instead of trying to contort the conversation into something it's not.

The point is that if all the digital content of a CD is copy to a HDD, that content will play because the CD doesn't contain any additional DRM that dictates whether the digital content will run. This ISN'T the case for a BluRay (or DVD) movie, where the DRM will to verify that the owner has the right to play the content.. potentially even that they're in the correct region. If your PS4 game wasn't DRM, then your PS4 would run it after install without the disc present. It doesn't.

The conversation is regarding digital access rights for physical media, this is relevant regardless of how comfortable you are with it.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, in case you haven't realized it yet, Synth isn't attempting to have a discussion with you. This is just about twisting whatever logic necessary to come to the conclusion they wish to see. ie, you're wasting your time.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You know it's about time for a new gen when the media starts to preemptively carry water for a console manufacturer. It's going to be the same corporate ballwashing cycle of the media telling consumers we are entitled for not wanting something that has real drawbacks and nebulous benefits again, isn't it? Do people not remember that garbage, where (mostly the US) media bought MS's entire spiel wholesale with SonyToo rhetoric until Sony maintaining the status quo and overwhelming negative gamer sentiment forced them to maybe admit that MS was wrong months later? Is the corporate shilling by the games media already beginning so soon?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really do not understand how many people cape for all of these companies. They aren't your friends. They're in it to make money. Getting rid of used games, makes them more money. Period. Microsoft had no idea what they were doing, PR people were saying contradictory things. And yet you have more than one person in here willing to give them not only the benefit of doubt, but putting the most optimistic spin I can think of on everything.

If you asked Good guy Phil about this he would say "we made a mistake." It doesn't help that some in the media are acting like they were right even though they didn't even state what the policy actually was!

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The point is that if all the digital content of a CD is copy to a HDD, that content will play because the CD doesn't contain any additional DRM that dictates whether the digital content will run. This ISN'T the case for a BluRay (or DVD) movie, where the DRM will to verify that the owner has the right to play the content.. potentially even that they're in the correct region. If your PS4 game wasn't DRM, then your PS4 would run it after install without the disc present. It doesn't.

The conversation is regarding digital access rights for physical media, this is relevant regardless of how comfortable you are with it.

Ok, let's just take this bit by bit.

The DRM policies of CD's are not the same as blu-rays are not the same as games. We can be reductive and say it's an issue of cost to produce, cost to implement and cost to replicate. However it is kind of funny that Ultraviolet exists so we have a universe where it's possible to "download" the rights to a movie without losing the consumer right to resell the blu-ray.

Furthermore, even if we want to be overly simplistic and say physical game discs are just DRM, that are DRM that is freely exchangeable because they don't need to be tied to a piece of hardware or an account to function, and therefore practically the designation of calling it DRM doesn't change that it's a complete product that can be freely sold or lent. Any change to this system is not done out of necessity, and factually limits the previous rights of the consumer, so therefore it is objectively anti-consumer. This is not a debate.

And I'm sorry, but you are the one trying to move the goalposts. When I made my comment this morning it was very specifically and clearly about the rights of ownership of physical media and the folly of a semantic, technicality-laden argument centered around licenses.

What is so gosh dang difficult about the concept that I can currently sell my copy of God of War on eBay if I want, and if Sony wanted to prevent that from happening in the future it's just flat out, inarguably anti-consumer? You are trying so hard to do everything but address that very simple concept because I think deep down you know you're wrong. That's why you keep bringing up DRM polices for PC when we are talking about the Xbox One.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help that some in the media are acting like they were right even though they didn't even state what the policy actually was!

I mean... they did state what the policy was, and it was shitty.
Its the people that want to believe that actually MS were trying some brave new customer-focussed initiative if you'd just let them explain how great it was and #fakenews media stopped being haters.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know it's about time for a new gen when the media starts to preemptively carry water for a console manufacturer. It's going to be the same corporate ballwashing cycle of the media telling consumers we are entitled for not wanting something that has real drawbacks and nebulous benefits again, isn't it? Do people not remember that garbage, where (mostly the US) media bought MS's entire spiel wholesale with SonyToo rhetoric until Sony maintaining the status quo and overwhelming negative gamer sentiment forced them to maybe admit that MS was wrong months later? Is the corporate shilling by the games media already beginning so soon?
I actually think there is a secondary storyline behind this behavior on the part of the games media.

Everyone wants to be that forward thinking smart guy in the room, so when Microsoft introduced the idea of digital games and an always online console, many people in the games media didn't want to look like some old man against change. They bought into the idea that "well, this is the future after all, right?". Even today you'll hear games media types of podcasts floating the idea that game streaming is the new future, and just around the corner. Everyone wants to be that person who called it first, and embraced the future. These things just move far slower than people want to believe, so while it may one day be true, it's not happening anytime soon.

Physical games media will be around another decade. That much I'm sure of.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The actual trick to getting customers to embrace an all digital library is to make the benefits of going all digital outweigh the negatives - a.k.a The Carrot.

MS just loves the fucking Stick too much when trying to push new things.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think, fundamentally what is soooo frustrating about this conversation is Microsoft can implement essentially all of the benefits of what they wanted without the anti-consumer policies. Yet...disingenuous arguments run rampant. I honestly don't understand.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think, fundamentally what is soooo frustrating about this conversation is Microsoft can implement essentially all of the benefits of what they wanted without the anti-consumer policies. Yet...disingenuous arguments run rampant. I honestly don't understand.
No man there are reasons we can't have good things without bad things. We don't know the reasons, so just trust the huge corporation. They always know best and have our best interests in mind.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
No man there are reasons we can't have good things without bad things. We don't know the reasons, so just trust the huge corporation. They always know best and have our best interests in mind.

The ironic thing is over the last few years Microsoft has implemented some good policies and features while Sony is taking a lot of flak, deservedly, for the lack of cross platform play.

But you are right, I need my shit sandwich to eat my apple pie I guess. For some reason. Can't have your pudding until you eat your meat I suppose.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peop!e who still believe this nonsense 5 years on are lost to reason. It's like trying to argue with a brainwashed cult member.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Why should I when I have other options that wouldn't put me in this situation? Especially since I mostly play single player games?

I don't need to be bothered to do such frivolous activities over such a horseshit concept that I don't agree with in the first place.

In other words, you did have a workaround able to be used in case of emergencies. Meaning your single player games wouldn't be locked. I understand if you wouldn't want to do it, sure, but going around saying that you would have been completely screwed? Yeah, that's not true.

This is horseshit, no one deserved this regardless if whether there was a workaround. And tethering to play a videogame, are you listening to what you are suggesting?

I live in a country where reliable internet is an extreme luxury. People that casually dismissed this issues are basically "Fuck you, got mine" people

Have you seen the Xbox market share right now (and even during 360)? MS never really cared for markets outside of NA and Europe (though mostly UK). That hasn't changed and I don't think it's going to change. And as mean as it sounds, that's sort of what happens dude. I'm a big fan of the many co-op games being made, but should they not have been made because some people can't access the Internet reliably to play them? Or always online games like Anthem and Sea of Thieves?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm a big fan of the many co-op games being made, but should they not have been made because some people can't access the Internet reliably to play them? Or always online games like Anthem and Sea of Thieves?
How does the existence of coop games at all compare to forcing online at the hardware level to play any games at all?

You're acting like a console with mandatory checkins is inevitable without explaining why.

Dec 12, 2017
This is an interesting take. Sometimes companies get a little too far ahead of where consumers are willing to go and I believe this is unfortunately what happened to Xbox. I believe every console will be like this in the next 10 years or so. The benefits of being always online and always connected could be very interesting.

It's kind of like N-Gage. Nokia predicted that mobile gaming would largely be taken over by cellphones, and they were totally correct, just a little too far ahead of the pack, and granted the device wasn't great either, but the idea was there. Same shit happened with Apple and Lisa / Macintosh 128k. Commercial failures but hugely influential and ahead of their time.

Bethesda's paid mods from a few years ago is another example of a company with a great idea who was a little far ahead of the consumer, and the backlash was completely unjustified and killed a potentially cool marketplace

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
How does the existence of coop games at all compare to forcing online at the hardware level to play any games at all?

You're acting like a console with mandatory checkins is inevitable without explaining why.

No no, that was me talking about the quoted post. Basically the whole "My internet sucks, so why should companies spend time on games I'll never get to play".

In terms of the original plans, I feel like they could have easily been modified into something more consumer friendly. Maybe find an alternative for the check-in. Personally I would have preferred them as my Xbox has been connected to the internet constantly since 2013. Internet for me is a bit of a requirement. If I didn't have it for longer than a day, then a "bricked" console would be absolute last thing on my mind. The biggest advantage for me would probably have been taking advantage of physical sales while still keeping a digital library. I'm pretty sick of disks, and with 100+ games in my library, the amount of disks would have been a bit overkill for me.

Hell, just recently I bought one more physical game (making it a total of 2) and literally within the first day I found the wrong CD in the wrong disk. Yeah not a problem for everyone, but with someone who has little siblings that play on the console all the time, if I had more physical games that would have been a nightmare.

In terms of the game sharing, I already do this with my digital games so I don't really mind that it was "cancelled", and I think the digital sales have been pretty damn stellar the last few years on both consoles.

There definitely weren't enough advantages shown/talked about for the always online model and I also think the industry wasn't ready for the model in 2013, but personally, I would have seen nothing but pros.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There definitely weren't enough advantages shown/talked about for the always online model and I also think the industry wasn't ready for the model in 2013, but personally, I would have seen nothing but pros.

In 2013 Nintendo - of all people - were running their "digital deluxe promotion" where you got a straight rebate of $5 'store credit' for every $50 you spent digitally as a means to incentivise digital purchases.
None of this "24 hour check-in" bullshit necessary and a clear benefit to users who opted to buy digitally.

e:
Put simply, if Ms actually wanted to push digital purchasing they could have - easily - done the following;
- A disk driveless SKU with double the HDD capacity to offset the removal of the BD drive (smaller, quieter, more reliable)
- A 2 year digital purchase promotion where buying games digitally gave you store credit to buy more games digitally (and whatever that rebate would be is more than offset by removing retail margins and that it is store credit to buy further products)
- fuck, throw in 2 years free XBL Gold as a sweetener, it costs them nothing anyway.

It wasn't solely about getting higher margins per game sold by moving customers to digital.
It was about controlling the market at every level from production to end user consumption, and it was about stopping users going offline because they had plans to monitor the shit out of everything you did and watched for resale of targetted advertising

Last edited:

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
In 2013 Nintendo - of all people - were running their "digital deluxe promotion" where you got a straight rebate of $5 'store credit' for every $50 you spent digitally as a means to incentivise digital purchases.
None of this "24 hour check-in" bullshit necessary and a clear benefit to users who opted to buy digitally.

e:
Put simply, if Ms actually wanted to push digital purchasing they could have - easily - done the following;
- A disk driveless SKU with double the HDD capacity to offset the removal of the BD drive (smaller, quieter, more reliable)
- A 2 year digital purchase promotion where buying games digitally gave you store credit to buy more games digitally (and whatever that rebate would be is more than offset by removing retail margins and that it is store credit to buy further products)
- fuck, throw in 2 years free XBL Gold as a sweetener, it costs them nothing anyway.

It wasn't solely about getting higher margins per game sold by moving customers to digital.
It was about controlling the market at every level from production to end user consumption, and it was about stopping users going offline because they had plans to monitor the shit out of everything you did and watched for resale of targetted advertising

You're definitely stretching there. If MS had taken more time and listened to constructive feedback (preferably before the reveal...) then they could easily have altered the entire system to something much more appealing.

And wow, do you have some personal bias against MS or something? You're throwing out some pretty wild theories out there without any real proof.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
No, because people who go all digital on a non-fucked-up system aren't fucking trading anything.

Xbox One BOHICA:
- Disk don't mean shit, go online
- Can't resell to anyone not authorised by MS at prices fixed by MS and that reseller
- Can't play shit if any of the links in the chain break between you and a remote authentication server that may or may not even exist doesn't respond every 24 hours--

"can't resell to anyone not authorised by MS at prices fixed by MS and that reseller" even in that limited form is still an improvement over "can't resell at all, ever" that applies to a Steamworks retail disc. That's the whole point of why for some, a disc under the original Xbox One plans would be an upgrade over a Steamworks Retail disc that's tied to my account.

I don't know why that's so difficult to understand. We're not saying it's an improvement for people who prefer current physical disc resale (it's obviously not!), but it is an improvement over Steamworks Retail disc resale (which effectively doesn't exist, but probably would exist if they had a periodic required check-in, since that type of system makes it much easier to enforce that only 1 license of the game is active, and makes it far more likely for publishers to buy in to that policy and approve their games to use it). And of course Steamworks Discs are the closest comparison to the original Xbox One disc plans. It's not saying "Steam is exactly the same as Xbox Live in every way", it's comparing the DRM policies of discs that are placed under a primarily digital licensing model.

Also, being able to buy "games you don't need a disc to play" from multiple retailers in a simple way that doesn't drastically change how retail games are distributed and allows those games bought on disc to fit into current and future benefits of a digital ecosystem would be an improvement over buying "games you don't need a disc to play" solely from Xbox Live. So the disc "does mean shit" in that regard. If I find a Steamworks retail disc on sale, I can still buy it knowing it'd be tied to my Steam account and I can redownload it at any time, works with family sharing, etc. so I don't have to ask "should I buy this digital or physical?" with every game, the way I do now. And I wouldn't have to search around for relatively rare download cards that don't even exist for every game or random key resellers, the way it's currently done for consoles. The drawback with a Steamworks disc is that it can't be resold afterward, but if IP holders were able to be comfortable that games couldn't be copied indefinitely under a model that allows for relatively routine license transfers, they'd be more likely to buy into that policy. Hence, periodic check-ins.

Whether that matters to you personally is a preference (and it's completely fine to not have that preference!), but it doesn't make anyone a "shill" for preferring it for their personal usage. It just means they're in a minority with their preference.

"But 24hr check-in!!!!"

Yes, which is a drawback! Which is why if having an internet connection once every 24hrs to play your games is too much of a risk, then an Xbox One under the original ideas obviously isn't an appropriate product. Which is fine! Where does this idea come from that every single console needs to appeal to 100% of people all the time? Sony made a $599 console that didn't sell very well initially. I didn't complain and get angry that Sony was being "anti-consumer" because they put out an overly expensive console, I just didn't buy it at launch. I didn't accuse people who did buy a PS3 for $599 of being "shills" or "fanboys". If a company makes a product that only appeals to a minority of people, that makes it a "product that won't sell very much", not an "anti-consumer product that only shills would like".

Last edited:

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
"But 24hr check-in!!!!"

Yes, which is a drawback!
It's a drawback that does not need to exist to provide the nebulous "benefits" it would purportedly bring.
Where does this idea come from that every single console needs to appeal to 100% of people all the time?
No one has said this. But the initial reveal was obviously unappealing to so many consumers that they completely walked it back. Unsurprisingly, people who see a product that does things they don't see as in their interest might be interested in discussing that product.
If a company makes a product that only appeals to a minority of people, that makes it a "product that won't sell very much", not an "anti-consumer product that only shills would like".
These are not mutually exclusive. A product targeted at a niche can also be anti-consumer. And if you think MS wanted to target a smaller audience, I have a DRM-laden online-only TV box to sell you.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It's a drawback that does not need to exist to provide the nebulous "benefits" it would purportedly bring.

No one has said this. But the initial reveal was obviously unappealing to so many consumers that they completely walked it back. Unsurprisingly, people who see a product that does things they don't see as in their interest might be interested in discussing that product.

These are not mutually exclusive. A product targeted at a niche can also be anti-consumer. And if you think MS wanted to target a smaller audience, I have a DRM-laden online-only TV box to sell you.

Do you really believe that the only way someone would have liked the original Xbox vision is if they were a shill? There's no way you actually think that anyone supporting it is clearly being paid to do so?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Do you really believe that the only way someone would have liked the original Xbox vision is if they were a shill? There's no way you actually think that anyone supporting it is clearly being paid to do so?
I was not responding to the editorial flair put on that second quote, just the idea that a niche product can't also be anti-consumer.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah it's.... It's rediculous. Whatching the press try to hoist ms into position with their drm camera box: I can only say that at that point I thought they could no longer surprise me but I was wrong.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Makes sense. Though I still feel it was only selectively anti-consumer. For people who are always connected regardless, all I really saw were pros.
The issue here is that the pros you saw weren't enabled by check in. The check in is a separate issue that by itself is not beneficial. Those pros could have come without a check in.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"can't resell to anyone not authorised by MS at prices fixed by MS and that reseller" even in that limited form is still an improvement over "can't resell at all, ever" that applies to a Steamworks retail disc. That's the whole point of why for some, a disc under the original Xbox One plans would be an upgrade over a Steamworks Retail disc that's tied to my account.

Except for the fact that there was no indication that that would ever actually come to fruition, because it was only ever a 'future plan' that retail would actively fight against participating in.
So your comparison is "Its still better if you blindly trust MS!".
Valve have made vague mentions of at some point in the future allowing for resale of titles from a library - or more accurately, deactivating a title and refunding you some money by doing so.
So in actuality, vague plans vs vague plans, you're talking about them being the exact same fucking thing.
Except the Xbox One came with Fuck You DRM.

And wow, do you have some personal bias against MS or something? You're throwing out some pretty wild theories out there without any real proof.

Their monetisation strategy to make the X1 an ad-serving device whatever content you were consuming was leaked well in advance as part of their Project Natal roadmap.
The fact that they were already snooping on a bunch of activities anyway was exposed by Edward Snowden, because they were passing a bunch of that data on to the NSA.
Alexa / Siri / Cortana et al listening to what you do and collecting information about your purchasing habits isn't some conspiracy theory, its literally what is happening right now.

Last edited:

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017

What is the easiest and most convenient way to simultaneously support more frequent digital license transfers between users and other users, and users and other retailers, works with both retail disc purchases (allowing for discless play) and digital marketplace purchases, while also guaranteeing to IP holders that only 1 person will own the license at a given time, and works with a consumer base that largely already frequently uses online-only services and has their devices connected the vast majority of the time?

We can't say "just make it like Steam, they already figured this out already, offline play and free weekends!", because we've already explained the missing features Steam has in comparison to the original ideas; primarily, being able to transfer disc and digital licenses both to other users and to retailers on a relatively frequent basis (at least, in comparison to the current status quo of zero license transfers to anyone at any time). Once I can sell my Steamworks retail discs (games from multiple publishers have come on these types of discs over the past ~15 years) in some form or fashion without any sort of periodic online check-in, or I can easily give my license to another person without a periodic online check-in, then we'd be able to more easily say "MS should just do it that way". But until then, why is it just always assumed by default that "the check-in didn't need to exist to provide those benefits"?

Seriously, it's not like I'm tied to 24hr check-ins because I think they're inherently so awesome and wonderful, but I'm looking at the ideas were proposed, and when attempting to balance the desires of users, 3rd party publishers, and game retailers, a periodic check-in of some sort seems like the most straightforward solution, especially if you're explaining up front before putting the product on sale that you're primarily making an internet-enabled device, and your primary customers have all been online the majority of the time anyway.

It's heavily implied by all the "but what about the person who wants to go camping and play Xbox One games?? But my rights!" types of comments. If people just said "this product isn't a good product for those people", that's one thing that I completely understand, but people make it out like MS made some sort of ethical violation by making a product that required internet access (hence all the "anti-consumer" and "consumer rights" talk and the frequency of the word "shills" in these discussions).

Apple TVs and Rokus are "anti-consumer" now? And of course, they didn't "want" to target a smaller audience. They just mistakenly assumed that the majority of their audience, which up until that point consisted of a lot of people who used internet-only services on the Xbox 360 (and gave feedback through internet-required domains like social media and message boards) would be ok with the tradeoffs. They were obviously wrong, but it's not like these were ideas that just came out of nowhere.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... they did state what the policy was, and it was shitty.
Its the people that want to believe that actually MS were trying some brave new customer-focussed initiative if you'd just let them explain how great it was and #fakenews media stopped being haters.

The US media actually did their best shilling for Microsoft, which also included stuff like overselling Titanfall as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What is the easiest and most convenient way
Why should I, the user, care at all about what is easy or convenient for MS when it works directly against my interests? There are other methods that would require more effort that would result in a more consumer friendly outcome. Like an immediate license handoff, for instance.
especially if you're explaining up front before putting the product on sale that you're primarily making an internet-enabled device, and your primary customers have all been online the majority of the time anyway.
Telling someone that you're selling them a shit sandwich doesn't mean they can't complain about the smell.
Apple TVs and Rokus are "anti-consumer" now?
Unsurprisingly, you missed my point with the end of your post. I was describing the initial vision of the XB1 lol

People using online services is not equivalent to being forced to use online services, so MS really fucked up. I'm not even sure what you're arguing if you agree that MS was wrong, since that's been the general point of most people in this thread. Their vision was wrong and the market reflects that.

Last edited:

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
There was literally never any indication you would ever be able to sell a digital licence to another end user.

Transfer, not sell. I'm referring to transferring a disc (which happens to also act as a digital license in this scenario) back to a retailer (effectively a limited version of "trading in a game", so that is a limited form of sale) or transferring that disc/digital hybrid license (for lack of a better term) to another person on your friends list, which were all part of the announcement. I understand that there were announced caveats listed with this, and that it wouldn't be as freeform as me just sending a disc to someone at any time, which is why I've said numerous times that for people used to the physical disc status quo, it isn't a benefit. But that's why I always bring up Steamworks retail discs, because in comparison to that (zero license transfers, ever) then it was a step up, even if it was still limited.

And since for me, a limited form of Steamworks Retail disc resale (which inherently involves transferring a license) would be more useful and more practical for me than an offline mode, that's why I tend to find the original MS ideas preferable.

That's the irony of this whole situation, is that the 24hr check-in was solely used because MS was trying to appease retailers and gamers that trade-in/sell used games (such as Gamestop and people who trade games there), not get rid of them. That's why they specifically mentioned that during theinitial details. If they wanted to actually completely remove used games, then they could have just gone the Steamworks Retail disc route, and just made it a one-time activation with an offline license tied to the console, which is a concept that's existed for 14 years now (unless there are "used" copies of Half-Life 2 on disc out there somewhere that I don't know about).

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Transfer, not sell. I'm referring to transferring a disc (which happens to also act as a digital license in this scenario) back to a retailer (effectively a limited version of "trading in a game", so that is a limited form of sale) or transferring that disc/digital hybrid license (for lack of a better term) to another person on your friends list, which were all part of the announcement.

are you talking about lending someone a game?
Because yes, you can do that on Steam, and no, it doesn't require your entire library to be subject to a mandatory daily check in.
a 'hybrid solution' that brings people who prefer disks all the disadvantages of a digital library, and digital only purchasers all the disadvantages of mandatory hardware level DRM is a solution to a problem nobody has.
Nobody really gives a shit about "a steamworks disk".
Like, legitimately, there are no steam users who prefer a disk for a digital account.
Its such a nonsense thing to keep bringing up.

Steam is a digital platform, its purchases are digital. Nobody wants some half-assed DRM crippled solution just so they can go "But I got a disk!"

Feb 10, 2018
Im fine with the 24hr check ins, the current gen consoles are online all the time downloading patches all the time and my internet goes off like 1 time a year for 5 mins.
But I dont like the no used games aspect.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, Microsoft was not right in any way back then, and it wouldn't be right today. Why? All else aside (and there's a lot to put aside), the DRM system would put an expiry date on all of your games. As soon as the servers go down, boom, there goes all of your games with them.

Of course, someone may respond, that Microsoft could have elected, if they were so kind, to keep the servers on in perpetuity. But that's just the thing: the original pitch would be contingent on Microsoft's benevolence. The Xbox One we actually got, on the other hand, doesn't. No need to just hope that Microsoft is kind and keeps the server on or not--since there aren't any DRM checks, it doesn't matter. No matter what Microsoft does, you can keep playing your games for years to come.

With the original idea, on the other hand, it's a big maybe at best. Maybe they would let you, maybe they wouldn't. Who can say? But I much prefer certainty in this area rather than just hoping a company is kind enough to do so. Don't have to worry about it at all with the Xbox One we actually got. Don't have to worry about it with the PS4. Etc. Like, with the Xbox One we actually got, I know that if I want to go back to it and play, say Ori and the Blind Forest on it, I can do that no problem. Same deal with stuff like the PS4--want to go back and play stuff like God of War, or Bloodborne, or Horizon Zero Dawn or whatever? No issue. But with the original Xbox One idea? Who in the world can say? Instead of knowing you'll be able to play those kind of games, it's completely up to Microsoft's kindness instead, which is in no way an improvement over the current situation.

Having certainty >>>>>>>>>> Having stuff up in the air and just hoping that Microsoft's kindness doesn't run out. Any advantages the original plan may have had just aren't worth that kind of uncertainty and that much being up in the air and just praying that Microsoft plays nice, when, y'know, we can just NOT do that instead, like with the Xbox One we actually ended up getting. The trade-offs just make the whole thing not worth it at all and that hasn't changed one iota.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
Why should I, the user, care at all about what is easy or convenient for MS when it works directly against my interests? There are other methods that would require more effort that would result in a more consumer friendly outcome. Like an immediate license handoff, for instance.

Well, if my interests are "being able to buy Xbox Ones on disc that I can play without needing to insert the disc, and also have the option to trade those same discs in at Gamestop if I want", then what is available now to support that? Where can I use my Best Buy membership to get discounts on games that don't require the disc to be inserted to play, while still allowing me to get rid of that disc later if I want?

To paraphrase, why should I, soul creator, care at all about your interests and not mine? We're all discussing preferences here, I'm just explaining that my preferences and my "interests" differ from yours, and the original ideas fit in line more with my preferences, and that for me, the original ideas would be a net-positive. They would be negative for a lot of other people, including yourself, which is why I don't question you being against it! But why do you get to play the "personal interests" card, but me genuinely acknowledging my own interests is somehow questionable?

And you obviously don't need to care about what's easy or convenient for MS, but if you and others keep confidently proposing that "they could have easily done this without a check-in", you're commenting on software development practices, not "personal interests" at that point. So that's why I asked if there's another way to accomplish the same goals? And if there is another way to accomplish those goals, why hasn't Valve done it already for my Steamworks retail disc games, for instance? If there's such an obvious alternative, why doesn't the biggest digital games retailer in the past 15 years not support it for their disc-based games?

Telling someone that you're selling them a shit sandwich doesn't mean they can't complain about the smell.

Ok?

Unsurprisingly, you missed my point with the end of your post. I was describing the initial vision of the XB1 lol

Unsurprisingly, you missed the point with my post that it's perfectly possible to sell a device that requires internet access, and that doesn't make it "anti-consumer". It just makes it...a device that requires internet access. The XB1 under the original plans, Apple TV, and Roku are all devices that require frequent internet access to be useful for their primary purpose.

People using online services is not equivalent to being forced to use online services, so MS really fucked up. I'm not even sure what you're arguing if you agree that MS was wrong, since that's been the general point of most people in this thread. Their vision was wrong and the market reflects that.

I don't dispute that the market reflects it was an unpopular decision. But to paraphrase you again, why should "the market" matter when it comes to my own personal preferences?

Either way, an Xbox One with the original plans isn't "forcing you to use online services" any more than an Apple TV or Roku being produced "forces you to use online services". It's a company selling an internet required device. If that internet-required device doesn't appeal to you, that's fine! I'm not here to convince you that you have to like the original Xbox One ideas. All my posts are meant to communicate is that for some people, the original ideas fit our personal habits better, and the drawbacks (the 24hr check-in) didn't matter as much. That preference makes us a minority (see: dozens_of_us.gif), it doesn't make us "shills".

There's no law that says gaming consoles "have" to support permanent offline play. Obviously, it's been shown that it's more popular to do so, but I'm simply doing the same thing everyone else is doing and speaking to my personal use case and preferences. I'm not telling you that you have to prefer the original Xbox One plans, it clearly wouldn't be a good fit for how you and a lot of others play your games and view your discs. Yet if I somehow have different preferences, that somehow means I'm paid by Microsoft, lol.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
are you talking about lending someone a game?
Because yes, you can do that on Steam, and no, it doesn't require your entire library to be subject to a mandatory daily check in.

You can? I know there's Steam Family Sharing (which is a good feature to have of course), but that requires the person "borrowing" the game to be online to play it, as evidenced by Steam's own page describing Family Sharing. They're not actually taking over ownership of the license (and they can't use it offline). So it's not the same type of "lending" (I was more referencing "giving" a license away completely).

Unless I'm missing something, of course. Is there any documentation on how to use this feature?

a 'hybrid solution' that brings people who prefer disks all the disadvantages of a digital library, and digital only purchasers all the disadvantages of mandatory hardware level DRM is a solution to a problem nobody has.

It also brings digital only purchases the benefits of a physical disc - being able to buy from multiple retailers and not just Xbox Live/Steam/PSN while retaining discless play and trade-ins, quicker local reinstallation of the base game data (saves on bandwidth), and if someone is the sentimental type, they get a display case as well. Those are obvious benefits of a hybrid solution.

Nobody really gives a shit about "a steamworks disk".
Like, legitimately, there are no steam users who prefer a disk for a digital account.
Its such a nonsense thing to keep bringing up.

I'm sure the people who have bought those discs over the past 15 years gives a little bit of a shit (or people who buy other disc-based PC games that redeem on Origin or Blizzard)

Steam is a digital platform, its purchases are digital. Nobody wants some half-assed DRM crippled solution just so they can go "But I got a disk!"

You sticking your fingers in your ears, going lalalala, and pretending Steamworks (and Origin, and Blizzard) retail discs don't exist, doesn't somehow mean they actually don't exist. Some are boxes with only codes, some are discs and codes together, but they do exist, and have existed for literally over a decade, and people have purchased them, and that makes them a valid part of the "how should physical discs, digital games, and DRM all work?" discussion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can? I know there's Steam Family Sharing (which is a good feature to have of course), but that requires the person "borrowing" the game to be online to play it, as evidenced by Steam's own page describing Family Sharing. They're not actually taking over ownership of the license (and they can't use it offline). So it's not the same type of "lending" (I was more referencing "giving" a license away completely).

There was literally never any indication that users would be able to transfer licences to other users.
Like... you're literally saying its 'better' because everyone was an equal footing because nobody ever actually owned any of their games.

You sticking your fingers in your ears, going lalalala, and pretending Steamworks (and Origin, and Blizzard) retail discs don't exist, doesn't somehow mean they actually don't exist.

What?
Nobody is saying retail disks that are just a download redemption code don't exist.
I'm saying retail oxes that are just a digital redemption code don't fucking matter to the end user.
They are well aware that it is a redemption code in a box.
The "physicality" (or more accurately - complete lack thereof) doesn't matter.
They are buying a digital good and they are well aware that they are buying a digital good. They have zero fucking expectations that they can give that code to someone else and it will work.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Always online DRM for single player games will always be stupid. Period. When I bought a brand new house that wasn't on the cable grid yet, it took the cable company like a week to install the internet. There's lots of instances when people won't have internet, and I don't need an internet paywall and some other company to rely on to play single player games.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
To paraphrase, why should I, soul creator, care at all about your interests and not mine? We're all discussing preferences here, I'm just explaining that my preferences and my "interests" differ from yours, and the original ideas fit in line more with my preferences, and that for me, the original ideas would be a net-positive. They would be negative for a lot of other people, including yourself, which is why I don't question you being against it! But why do you get to play the "personal interests" card, but me genuinely acknowledging my own interests is somehow questionable?
I'm not telling anyone to put my interests ahead of their own. I'm asking them to defend the stance that check-ins are somehow not anti-consumer. Most of the defense of that specific practice is people acting like it would be the only possible way to be able to resell digital licenses or play disc purchases without the disc, which is a position with no factual basis.
And you obviously don't need to care about what's easy or convenient for MS, but if you and others keep confidently proposing that "they could have easily done this without a check-in", you're commenting on software development practices, not "personal interests" at that point. So that's why I asked if there's another way to accomplish the same goals? And if there is another way to accomplish those goals, why hasn't Valve done it already for my Steamworks retail disc games, for instance? If there's such an obvious alternative, why doesn't the biggest digital games retailer in the past 15 years not support it for their disc-based games?
I don't need to be a software developer to be against an idea that works against my interests. I don't need to have a solution to suggest they find a way to deliver benefits without such severe drawbacks.

Two companies can fuck up at the same time. Steam has Steamworks discs (which you keep bringing up despite the fact that no one buying them has any expectation of reselling them), which could potentially be resold if they implemented a way to do that. They haven't. They're not relevant to MS, though, so it's just whataboutism at this point. Steam has not promised this feature, they have not announced that they're working on this feature, so to expect a solution from them is ludicrous. MS did, however, and their solution sucked.
Unsurprisingly, you missed the point with my post that it's perfectly possible to sell a device that requires internet access, and that doesn't make it "anti-consumer". It just makes it...a device that requires internet access. The XB1 under the original plans, Apple TV, and Roku are all devices that require frequent internet access to be useful for their primary purpose.
If the reason for being online is to access online content, that is not inherently anti-consumer. If the reason for being online is to make sure people own content they bought (and is stored locally on their device or a disc) and to revoke access to that content the moment the user is not online (after a duration), that is anti-consumer. Seems pretty clear to almost everyone in this thread. You're trying to compare MS's vision with online services when they're obviously not comparable at all. Online content requires online connection, no shit. The issue here is that ALL content regardless of whether or not you need internet to access it required internet with their 2013 pitch.
the drawbacks (the 24hr check-in) didn't matter as much. That preference makes us a minority (see: dozens_of_us.gif), it doesn't make us "shills".
I've never said the dozens of you are shills. You might be arguing against your own interests by believing the only way digital resale could happen was with a checkin and complete restriction of vendors.

Last edited:

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
There was literally never any indication that users would be able to transfer licences to other users.
Like... you're literally saying its 'better' because everyone was an equal footing because nobody ever actually owned any of their games.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2013/06/06/license/

• Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.
  • Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Like I mentioned before, there's obviously caveats, and it's obviously much more limited than "give or sell your disc to whoever you want at any time", but compared to "your Steam disc is tied to your account forever even if you don't want it anymore", the above is an improvement. I don't get why this is difficult to understand. And of course, we're both just discussing proposals here, as the console was never launched.

I'm only responding to those proposals. None of those proposals sounds over the top or far-fetched or impossible to do, and it would have benefited me (in comparison to other hybrid disc/digital licensing models that exist in gaming) if they launched that way. That's all.

What?
Nobody is saying retail disks that are just a download redemption code don't exist.
I'm saying retail oxes that are just a digital redemption code don't fucking matter to the end user.

Uh, they matter to people who have bought them over the years, such as myself? And also, some of those retail boxes contain discs as well, and aren't just codes in a box.

They are well aware that it is a redemption code in a box.
The "physicality" (or more accurately - complete lack thereof) doesn't matter.
They are buying a digital good and they are well aware that they are buying a digital good. They have zero fucking expectations that they can give that code to someone else and it will work.

Ok? And it still would be an improvement if they could give that license to someone else in some form or fashion after redeeming it on their own account. Just because someone accepts the current limitation and is ok with it doesn't mean it couldn't be improved. A "redemption code in a box" or on a disc that could be transferred to someone else or back to the retailer for credit or whatever is an improvement over the status quo of not being able to do that at all. That would be a benefit to those people who have bought Steam games in a retail store who don't care about losing permanent offline play.

And XB1 disc purchasers under the original plans would also be "well aware that they are buying a digital good" (more specifically, a hybrid disc/digital good). There was no grand secret conspiracy, the proposal and its restrictions were listed on the website 5 months before the system launched (more than enough time to make a decision on how well that type of system works for a given person), and likely would have been part of whatever game packaging as well, just like any other product with internet requirements.

The way you've responded to this makes it seem like you're under the impression that people had already bought XB1 games on discs, and then MS came along and removed features after the fact, therefore MS mislead and took something away from consumers and should not be trusted. I don't even get why "trust" even plays a role in this discussion at all. The entire time, all I ever thought was "if this goes through as described, it'll be useful for me". I don't need to invest my "trust" in MS because at that point before launch, I never bought anything and all I'm judging is the proposal on the web site, and the proposal on the web site wasn't anything over the top or impossible sounding. I never said "everyone will love this, no drawbacks whatsoever" or "people who are against this must be Sony fanboys" or whatever other absurd strawman people seem to have in their heads. It's just that on a practical day to day level, "being able to play games without a disc, but also getting other benefits of a disc and a limited form of resale/license transfer with those discs" is more useful to me than "I must be able to permanently play my games when I'm offline no matter what".

Why that's considered such a shocking preference, to the point where people think I could only feel this way because I'm paid off by MS, seems odd to me.

Nov 30, 2017
In other words, you did have a workaround able to be used in case of emergencies. Meaning your single player games wouldn't be locked. I understand if you wouldn't want to do it, sure, but going around saying that you would have been completely screwed? Yeah, that's not true.

Have you seen the Xbox market share right now (and even during 360)? MS never really cared for markets outside of NA and Europe (though mostly UK). That hasn't changed and I don't think it's going to change. And as mean as it sounds, that's sort of what happens dude. I'm a big fan of the many co-op games being made, but should they not have been made because some people can't access the Internet reliably to play them? Or always online games like Anthem and Sea of Thieves?

I didn't say I would have been screwed, I said the machine would have been a brick sitting there. You are just putting words in my mouth.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
might be my last post on the topic, but I've enjoyed the discussion so far!

I'm not telling anyone to put my interests ahead of their own. I'm asking them to defend the stance that check-ins are somehow not anti-consumer. Most of the defense of that specific practice is people acting like it would be the only possible way to be able to resell digital licenses or play disc purchases without the disc, which is a position with no factual basis.

It's anti-consumer in the trivial sense that "some consumers will have their usage habits affected negatively by this if they happen to buy it", but that sort of drains the term of any useful meaning if that's all you mean by anti-consumer. Literally every product in existence has something "anti-consumer" by that standard.

And the reason why I'm "acting like it would be the only possible way" is because that's literally been the only example in gaming history where all of the concepts were proposed as features in unison for every game available on the platform. My "evidence" is that the only time a major video game company has proposed all of these features simultaneously has also involved a periodic check-in to tie it all together, and from my base knowledge of how the console industry works, that's likely the easiest technical way to support all sides of it. You can definitely support some of the below ideas without an online check, since there's obvious evidence in other places to show it's possible:

-You can support discless play even after buying a disc (steamworks retail discs)
-You can support trading in and lending discs (the status quo on consoles)
-you can get 3rd parties on board to release games on a system with without them worrying about piracy (also the status quo on consoles/PC)
-You can support family sharing without the primary user being online, though other people need to be online to use it (steam family sharing)

But I haven't seen any evidence that you can get all of those features simultaneously (beyond just people saying it on message boards). It's never been done before (and still hasn't been done, even on Steam, which is the closest comparison and why it gets brought up), so we're all kind of starting from scratch here.

If someone comes along and supports all of that without an online check-in, then great! I'll prefer that even more. I don't have any special love for 24hr check-ins, it just happens to not be a dealbreaker for me and my usage habits. My position is not really any more complex than that.

I don't need to be a software developer to be against an idea that works against my interests. I don't need to have a solution to suggest they find a way to deliver benefits without such severe drawbacks.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever said you have to "support" the idea anyway. I routinely acknowledge that those ideas wouldn't work for you and a lot of other people. Those drawbacks are severe for people who want to play single player games offline. No argument from me on that.

But why do people continue to assume that those drawbacks are therefore "severe" for every single person in all cases? The only response is "well, they changed it and more people agree with me, so there". Which is a weird response, because I never disputed that more people would agree with the status quo.

It seems weird to go on and on about how consumers should prioritize their own interests, and then turn around and ignore that not every consumer has the exact same interests when buying game consoles.

Two companies can fuck up at the same time. Steam has Steamworks discs (which you keep bringing up despite the fact that no one buying them has any expectation of reselling them)

Why is it accepted that "no one has any expectation of reselling" those discs, and that's just part of the limitation of Steam, but if I said "I have no expectation of selling Xbox One games the way I would sell a PS4 game", that's somehow a perplexing viewpoint? And why is it so surprising to be interested in potential ways to add a feature to support selling retail discs, while also supporting discless play, even if it comes at the "cost" of being connected to the internet?

Why do I seemingly need to prioritize offline play in the exact same way other people do? I acknowledge that offline play is a high priority for a lot of people. It happens to not be a high priority for me, so when people go on about "severe" drawbacks, I want them to acknowledge that it's severe for them, and there's no need to universalize that belief and assume it's therefore severe for everyone.

, which could potentially be resold if they implemented a way to do that. They haven't. They're not relevant to MS, though, so it's just whataboutism at this point. Steam has not promised this feature, they have not announced that they're working on this feature, so to expect a solution from them is ludicrous. MS did, however, and their solution sucked.

How is it whataboutism? It's literally the closest relevant game/disc licensing comparison that exists in the video game world. This entire discussion is about the pros/cons of hybrid disc/digital licensing models, why wouldn't the most well known precedent for this be a part of the discussion? None of this exists in a vacuum, after all.

If the reason for being online is to access online content, that is not inherently anti-consumer. If the reason for being online is to make sure people own content they bought (and is stored locally on their device or a disc) and to revoke access to that content the moment the user is not online (after a duration), that is anti-consumer. Seems pretty clear to almost everyone in this thread. You're trying to compare MS's vision with online services when they're obviously not comparable at all. Online content requires online connection, no shit. The issue here is that ALL content regardless of whether or not you need internet to access it required internet with their 2013 pitch.

My content is also revoked as soon as I take the disc out of my machine, even though there's literally no technical reason at all for the disc to access it (remember, the actual playable game is on your hard drive, not your disc). People seem to hate when that's brought up, but it's a pretty basic fact of how modern consoles operate. If we're so concerned about not having arbitrary restrictions over accessing content, then why isn't there an uproar over that?

Why is requiring a plastic disc to prove you own content (even though the disc isn't actually needed for anything related to running the game) not "anti-consumer", but me preferring an online check instead of inserting a plastic disc is "anti-consumer"? By the logic of "I should never have to prove I own content I already bought", it seems like they're both bad. But if someone appreciates the other benefits of using a plastic disc to prove ownership, then it's gonna be less bad for them. But if someone prefers discless play and having the internet handle the "prove ownership" part, while still retaining other benefits that come along with having a disc (such as the ones proposed originally related to resales), then the status quo is worse for them. Even if yes, they are in a minority.

I've never said the dozens of you are shills. You might be arguing against your own interests by believing the only way digital resale could happen was with a checkin and complete restriction of vendors.

Once there's a licensing model that supports all the original proposed ideas, and doesn't have a 24hr check-in, then you can say I'm "arguing against my own interests" by preferring the 2013 plans with the check-in. Currently, Steam is probably the closest, with Xbox Live/PSN coming second (though there are a couple situations where Xbox Live/PSN is better than Steam), and Nintendo last. But there's currently no company that supports all of the original proposed ideas in unison, so I can't see how I'm arguing against my own interests when there's literally no licensing model in use for games that fits *all* my interests that currently exists now. Just simply asserting "they could have did it another way" doesn't actually make it so, until another game company actually proposes the idea (which should be happening soon, since apparently, the alternatives are so obviously easy to do).

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2013/06/06/license/

Like I mentioned before, there's obviously caveats, and it's obviously much more limited than "give or sell your disc to whoever you want at any time", but compared to "your Steam disc is tied to your account forever even if you don't want it anymore", the above is an improvement. I don't get why this is difficult to understand. And of course, we're both just discussing proposals here, as the console was never launched.

I'm only responding to those proposals. None of those proposals sounds over the top or far-fetched or impossible to do, and it would have benefited me (in comparison to other hybrid disc/digital licensing models that exist in gaming) if they launched that way. That's all.

Uh, they matter to people who have bought them over the years, such as myself? And also, some of those retail boxes contain discs as well, and aren't just codes in a box.

Ok? And it still would be an improvement if they could give that license to someone else in some form or fashion after redeeming it on their own account. Just because someone accepts the current limitation and is ok with it doesn't mean it couldn't be improved. A "redemption code in a box" or on a disc that could be transferred to someone else or back to the retailer for credit or whatever is an improvement over the status quo of not being able to do that at all. That would be a benefit to those people who have bought Steam games in a retail store who don't care about losing permanent offline play.

And XB1 disc purchasers under the original plans would also be "well aware that they are buying a digital good" (more specifically, a hybrid disc/digital good). There was no grand secret conspiracy, the proposal and its restrictions were listed on the website 5 months before the system launched (more than enough time to make a decision on how well that type of system works for a given person), and likely would have been part of whatever game packaging as well, just like any other product with internet requirements.

The way you've responded to this makes it seem like you're under the impression that people had already bought XB1 games on discs, and then MS came along and removed features after the fact, therefore MS mislead and took something away from consumers and should not be trusted. I don't even get why "trust" even plays a role in this discussion at all. The entire time, all I ever thought was "if this goes through as described, it'll be useful for me". I don't need to invest my "trust" in MS because at that point before launch, I never bought anything and all I'm judging is the proposal on the web site, and the proposal on the web site wasn't anything over the top or impossible sounding. I never said "everyone will love this, no drawbacks whatsoever" or "people who are against this must be Sony fanboys" or whatever other absurd strawman people seem to have in their heads. It's just that on a practical day to day level, "being able to play games without a disc, but also getting other benefits of a disc and a limited form of resale/license transfer with those discs" is more useful to me than "I must be able to permanently play my games when I'm offline no matter what".

Why that's considered such a shocking preference, to the point where people think I could only feel this way because I'm paid off by MS, seems odd to me.
Why do you keep bringing up Steam discs in a discussion about MS trying to disrupt a decades old physical game market that hasn't existed for Steam, ever? It has literally nothing to do with this discussion.