• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
While other entertainment industries were suffering the costs that came with an uncontrolled pandemic, videogames were booming. It's not a surprise, considering most of America was looking for something (anything!) to do as they hunkered down for what would become months of homestay. The positive? New audiences, both gamers and non-gamers alike, were introduced to the capabilities of gaming to tell impactful stories, present vibrant digitally rendered vistas, and conjure a peaceful reprieve by curating your own private tropical island of adorable animals. (That last one came courtesy of the new Animal Crossing.)

As 2020 comes to an end and hope returns for what a new year can bring, we honor the games that held us over these past nine months.

1.) The Last of Us Part II
2.) Animal Crossing: New Horizons
3.) Final Fantasy VII Remake
4.) Spiritfarer
5.) Hades
6.) DOOM Eternal
7.) Ghost of Tsushima
8.) Demon's Souls
9.) Assassin's Creed Valhalla
10.) Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

ew.com

The best videogames of 2020

Here are our picks for best videogames of 2020 (a.k.a. the games that kept us sane these past nine months of lockdowns).

May 19, 2020
ok so with all these publications throwing in on video games when is better home and gardens releasing their best videogames of 2020 list

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yeah, hey. I'm here. It's me, not Geoff, just to say
13 Sentinels, robbed yet again.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
No RE3. :(
I enjoyed the game, but it would've been much better had they given it the same love they gave RE2.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was good to own a playstation this year. Really overall a lot of great games came out this year. Usually gen transitions years are hit and miss but gaming has been great this year.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
With all the nominations and inclusion on top lists of Hades, I finally bought the game now that it's discounted on Switch right now. Man, what a fun little game this is. I loved Dead Cells, but I might legit prefer Hades. It might just become my favorite rogue lite ever with the superb story, brillant art and really motivating gameplay. I've been playing it all day. Good to see it on another list, seems to be deserving its spot.

In general a solid list, I can agree with many spots. As I haven't played Animal Crossing, I would switch it for Genshin Impact that is easily my most played game of the year. It has a lot of flaws, but it's worth it for the initial exploration and main quests alone. Very fun game, can't wait for the new content next week.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Surprised to see Spiritfarer in almost every year-end lists lately. I felt is went by rather unnoticed when it came out. Is it that that good then? Might have to play it in the end.

SPEA

Oct 29, 2017
Where are the Ori nominations? Did I play a different game then everyone else?

Game is absolutely GOTY worthy.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Love to see the FF7 Remake recognition. It wasn't the best game of the year but it's certainly in the top 3-5.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing all the 13 Sentinels mentions in ResetEra makes me think I should try it, it didn't look like my sort of game in the footage I saw but that was a long time ago (I think the first trailer).

On topic, well done to TLOU2 (Again) and Sony as a whole, their games are getting a lot of recognition with Miles, Demons, Ghost backing up TLOU2. More props need to be given to Dreams :(

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Good to see Demon's Souls on there. I have been confused by its omission from many of the lists we have seen.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Where are the Ori nominations? Did I play a different game then everyone else?

Game is absolutely GOTY worthy.
Yep, I look at all these 'best of 2020' games and I almost always see Ori omitted, even in the honourable mentions sections.

The game is an absolute masterpiece and seeing it being snubbed kind of sucks. In the end its pretty irrelevant to me but I still wish the developers would get more recognition for the game they crafted. I wonder if the game releasing at the same time as Doom and especially Animal Crossing made people forget it.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty solid list, imo.

I really need to get Spiritfarer. If looks really appealing to me, and it's getting a lot of love on these lists.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Good list.

Never came around to get FF7 Remake, although i enjoyed the demo immensely back then. It seems pretty divisive on this board, which makes me hesitant to buy it.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Seeing all the 13 Sentinels mentions in ResetEra makes me think I should try it, it didn't look like my sort of game in the footage I saw but that was a long time ago (I think the first trailer).

On topic, well done to TLOU2 (Again) and Sony as a whole, their games are getting a lot of recognition with Miles, Demons, Ghost backing up TLOU2. More props need to be given to Dreams :(

It's definitely an acquired taste as it's visual novel meets tower defense meets anime AS FUCK. But if you're into all that shit, grab it, you won't regret it.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely an acquired taste as it's visual novel meets tower defense meets anime AS FUCK. But if you're into all that shit, grab it, you won't regret it.

That sounds fucking terrible, to be honest.

But, it's from VanillaWare, which I didn't know until the "googled and nope" post earlier made me curious. So I ordered it. We shall see. Wouldn't be the first time I liked something out of my normal lane.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I keep hearing good things about this, maybe I should ... *Googles* Nah, I'm not playing that.

shame

44485.jpg