• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Just FYI, you should put the quote in a quote thingy, because otherwise people are going to think you're from Epic lol

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I respect that they're taking this toxic behaviour seriously but I don't know what they can really do to stop it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I have 0 idea what they can do at this point but I'm glad they're taking it seriously at least.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I didn't really follow the Ooblets situation because I just figured, fair enough, can't hate on devs wanting stability. Were fake screenshots a thing back when that happened? That's...pretty fucked up.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Just couldn't help getting their "multi-store future" marketing buzzwords in. And what's the technical analysis referring to? That time they got caught siphoning your Steam files?

A little surprised that this is when they chose to make a statement rather than the previous times to be honest. The response to Shenmue, Metro, and Phoenix Point seemed more heated.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really follow the Ooblets situation because I just figured, fair enough, can't hate on devs wanting stability. Were fake screenshots a thing back when that happened? That's...pretty fucked up.

Some folks were passing around a doctored discord comment saying "Gamers deserve the gas chamber"

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have 0 idea what they can do at this point but I'm glad they're taking it seriously at least.

Well, they can at least get Sweeney to refrain from things like that "That was Awesome!" tweet he did while the Ooblets team were already dealing with a mountain of muck at their feet.

Oct 27, 2017
I respect that they're taking this toxic behaviour seriously but I don't know what they can really do to stop it.

Nobody can stop it, but Epic can take some heat and PR work away from developers: releasing supporting statements, promoting their game, taking over refunds/support etc.

By this time, EGS should have a plan and guidelines for developers who sign up for EGS-exclusive path.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine getting this upset over fucking video games.
At times I get the impression these attitudes not only don't get any better when it comes this medium, but they actually just keep getting worse. It's baffling and I sincerely don't know how we could make it any better. People really need to gain some perspective. Videogames cannot end up occupying such a central role in your life that you feel compelled to trespass personal boundaries in their "defense".
Well, they can at least get Sweeney to refrain from things like that "That was Awesome!" tweet he did while the Ooblets team were already dealing with a mountain of muck at their feet.
Come on, man. Even if you hate the dude and the deal they made with the fury of a thousand suns, defending your business partners when they are facing this shitstorm is the least you can do.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if people used that energy on actually important topics.

People have the right to be upset over the language used by the Ooblets devs on their EGS exclusivity announcement, but can't be denied that this non-stop hatred for business about videogames, a completely optional hobby where they offer you an entertainment product, and nothing else, must be stopped, or at least chill. I hate capitalism as much as the next dude, but I also understand that without capitalism, the gaming industry doesn't exist.

unAimed

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Many thanks to all of you that continue to promote and advocate for healthy, truthful discussion about the games business and stand up to all manners of abuse."

Would be nice if your CEO could lead by example.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It always sucks when toxic people bandwagon onto a legitimate complaint and make the whole conversation untenable.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Harassment has no place in society. There's no reason to threaten innocent people with injury or death, especially not for financial decisions they make regarding PC storefronts.

That said, it doesn't help when Tim Sweeney is stoking the fires on Twitter and making Epic's words look pretty hollow. If they could get him to say this I'd be more inclined to think they're genuine.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Good on them for coming out in support of the Devs.

They should maybe put a shackle on their CEO. He was happily stocking the flames.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems to happen every day.

People have the right to be upset over the language used by the Ooblets devs on their EGS exclusivity announcement, but can't be denied that this non-stop hatred for business about videogames, a completely optional hobby where they offer you an entertainment product, and nothing else, must be stopped, or at least chill. I hate capitalism as much as the next dude, but I also understand that without capitalism, the gaming industry doesn't exist.

I'm no psychologist but I'd imagine these people aren't very happy in general.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This kinda rings hollow coming from Epic when Tim Sweeney himself is out there spreading misinformation. Like the whole "if steam goes down to 12% we'll stop exclusives", while having admitted himself that 12% is not sustainable for Epic store, that has far less features than steam.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's mentioned in the RockPaperShotgun article linked earlier, but some context:

I think it's fair to think their blog post was too harsh but it in no way justifies the amount of harassment and abuse the developers have had to deal with. Epic should also be doing much more to help developers deal with this stuff, having some statement like this after it already happened doesn't help.

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I mean, they could stop buying exclusives. It's Epic's policies that are resulting in this backlash, some of which has gone way too far and is rightfully condemned. If they don't want to stop ruining the PC gaming scene, they could at the very least get Tim to stop throwing petrol on the flames.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Oh, going by just the title I assumed this was a thing on Epic's own misinformation these last 9 months.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
just wanna say, ppl who know they go to bat against EGS, even if you think you aren't included in this pls reassess

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is what happens when you base your identity around a certain platform, it's console wars all over again where people take it to the extreme.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The response to this has been embarrassing. I'm saying that as someone who's all on board the "fuck EGS" train.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
2 or 3 days after Ooblets' ill-conceived announcement, Epic CEO Tim Sweeney took to Twitter and decided to rile people up further with his usual sad attempts at being funny. Is that what they mean when they say they will support their partners? The CEO will try to meme the mob into silence?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, man. Even if you hate the dude and the deal they made with the fury of a thousand suns, defending your business partners when they are facing this shitstorm is the least you can do.
It's not when what you are actually clearly doing is kicking the hornets nest for shits and giggles.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
just wanna say, ppl who know they go to bat against EGS, even if you think you aren't included in this pls reassess

I don't see why this should make me reassess. It's completely possible to be unhappy with how Epic handles itself and its service without resorting to being a knobhead about it.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019

People have the right to be upset over the language used by the Ooblets devs on their EGS exclusivity announcement,

I don't think they do to be honest. I'm sure there was a lot of anxiety on the devs part about this and they could have handled it better for sure. But some people have been overreacting to the original blog post like the devs came over to their house and punched them in the gut.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
Fake screenshots and personal harassment are inexcusable no matter what the dev did (whose attitude is to blame on a certain level in this situation though), but this is a bit hypocritical of Epic considering its CEO, Tim Sweeney, was contributing to all the situation with flaming tweets, and basically ignore everything about the "healthy, truthful discussion" and valid complaints about the EGS.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This is what this is in answer to, coming from the Ooblets Devs themselves:

"We really misjudged how angry so many people would be," Cordingley and Wasser said in a message to the Ooblets Patreon community.

"This whole thing has just devastated us. We've been getting thousands if not tens of thousands of hateful, threatening messages across every possible platform nonstop. It's especially hurtful since we've had such a positive, supportive relationship with our audience throughout development."

The Patreon community has also been the source of messages of support, Glumberland said, but the intensity of the response was such that "I have been crying nonstop for the last two days and feeling like the world has collapsed around me."

"I couldn't have guessed the scale of what it would feel like to be the target of an internet hate mob," the statement said. "I already had a lot of empathy for other targets of previous hate mobs, which is why we wanted to address that sort of thinking in our announcement, but I had no idea it was this bad."

Fake screenshots and personal harassment are inexcusable no matter what the dev did (whose attitude is to blame on a certain level in this situation though),

That's some Grade A victim blaming you got there. The devs carry 0% of the responsibility for getting targeted by a hate mob for releasing the game on another digital store than some wished and the communication around it. None.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck off RPS you streaks of piss.

People shouldn't be sending death threats over fucking video games. For any reason. Actually it's not even over video games, it's over a fucking launcher. People need to grow the fuck up. Get outta here with this 'well you shouldn't poke the bear nonsense'. That bear being smelly, unwashed basement dwellers with nothing else worth doing that threatening people over something that doesn't really matter.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why this should make me reassess. It's completely possible to be unhappy with how Epic handles itself and its service without resorting to being a knobhead about it.

I just mean some ppl may not be aware of how far they are going attacking EGS and may have normalized certain aggressive behaviors as justifiable. It is good to self-reflect when abuse is happening imo and see how much you are personally contributing even if u dont characterize yourself as a participant. Especially since it isn't just about death threats being sent but also creating an environment where someone may think that it's ok to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.