Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I've been getting 2 to 3 emails a week for the last month at least that my Epic account has been locked due to repeated login attempts. And I haven't played Fortnite since the end of last year.

Edit: and this is still after changing my password a couple times. I've also emailed customer support to just close the account but they never replied.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SO, just so I'm clear, everything (including SecureSafe) is down with OPP (other people's PC's) holding the passwords. What is this self-hosted services, Ownclous/Nextcloud? I run my own server? Or an OPP that just extra-promises security?
I'd be happy with an encrypted local DB on my phone. SecureSafe was something my wife was using and they use their own servers in Switzerland so eh I dunno. Mostly it was the "hey pay us money now" popup and lack of transparency on the password count and limit that cheesed me off. I mean, I'm kind of an old-school dude now, I guess. This solution for me is a replacement for the secret little notebook.
Self-hosted as it implies means your own server. Nextcloud/Owncloud are just examples of software to allow for easy management/hosting of your data so you can access it like Google drive/Onedrive or any other modern cloud storage.

What I meant was the company like SecureSafe as you said host the data so if you chose to sync the data across your devices. So it's more of a matter of do you trust the company to hold your data and if there was ever a breach do you trust the way they store data? As it means your data could still be safe if they store your data well. Keepass/KeepassXC/Enpass and the like just give you more options in cloud providers choosing who to trust with that data. But as you only use local storage then it's not a problem.

Last edited:

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
funnily enough i got an unsuccessful login warning recently - it was news to me that i even had an account. checked my password manager and turns out i created an epic account at some point in the past. guess my email address has been harvested at some point and there are now automated bots trying to steal peoples fortnite accounts. i've now turned on 2fa.

interestingly i've seen a bit of chatter about this recently from several sources. has this been going on for a while, or is it just really ramping up now?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This seems to be very widespread. I've also received several this past month.

I wonder if it's to do with this breach - https://www.troyhunt.com/ive-just-a...eaches-with-80m-records-to-have-i-been-pwned/

hyzV0E3.png

It's the most recent one where my email was included also it was from an other leak can't think any other recent massive email leak or the like unless I missed something.

Also in case you haven't heard of it before https://haveibeenpwned.com/ allows you to check you email against known services that have been comprised in the past.

I bet it's this.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Before enabling two factor authentication, I received an email on a daily basis indicating my account had been locked due to incorrect login attempts. Not sure what was going on, but I'm glad they implemented it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have gotten more notifications about people trying to log in to my Epic account in 2018 than I have for all other services combined previously. It's nuts. Fortunately I use unique, very strong passwords everywhere. And I enabled 2FA when they implemented it.

This game is bringing out the crazies.

GRIMREEFZ

Oct 27, 2017
MPLS
I get an email every few days saying my EPIC account is locked... Origin and Uplay and Rockstar launcher all happen too on occation but EPIC is every few days. And i have ZERO $$ invested in their games. Its dumb.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I made an account a week or so ago, still haven't actually played fortnite, and within days I was getting login attempt emails. Sounds like Epic has some shit to work out.

Drexion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are they hacking fortnite accounts for?
The skins?
This is exactly what I'm wondering. Fortnite is free, so why is it a target ? Just because some accounts might have cosmetic microtransactions purchased ? Doesn't seem worth the effort as they are not tradeable.

Also, the unreal engine forums were apparently breached back in late 2016, though I think that forum used a separate user database from their other game release forums.
1oosry.jpg

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I also had this issue, and it seemed like they had their support email disabled when I attempted to rectify it. Let's hope there wasn't a data breach because they've recently had a huge influx of new users.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly what I'm wondering. Fortnite is free, so why is it a target ? Just because some accounts might have cosmetic microtransactions purchased ? Doesn't seem worth the effort as they are not tradeable.

Also, the unreal engine forums were apparently breached back in late 2016, though I think that forum used a separate user database from their other game release forums.
1oosry.jpg
Yh I remember reading about this and I think that's the case as this doesn't show up in my email report and I have had an epic account before then.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017

Getting emails and passwords en masse like that can have a lot of people who use the same password for other accounts elsewhere.
They have no interest in the game, it's what you as a person have.

EvoTech

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Remember to use a dedicated email for every type of things like this and obviously use a unique password. Enable 2F as well.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, who exactly does this affect?

Ps4 fortnight players?
Is it mandatory to have an epic account to play it?
I can't check right now but I don't recall having set one up.

Also if it is compromised what exactly do they have?
Just an email and password for an epic account, NOT PSN account right?

This affects people who use the same password at several sites, with one of them having their database leaked somewhere.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Yeah, I did this when I kept getting emails a few weeks back saying my account was locked after too many failed login attempts. It was getting pretty ridiculous.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Getting emails and passwords en masse like that can have a lot of people who use the same password for other accounts elsewhere.
They have no interest in the game, it's what you as a person have.

The game is popular and the cosmetics are well liked. On top of that there are Twitch Prime exclusive cosmetics. They're interested in selling the accounts.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Can anyone confirm if it's possible to play BR on PS4 without using an Epic account? I played once a long time ago and don't remember if I set one up or not, and using their password recovery form I don't receive an email.

Didn't connect any payment details to it but it would still be nice to know in case it's linked to my PSN and I've forgotten it exists.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my Epic account was compromised a little bit ago. Checked here at the time and didn't see a thread so thought it was an isolated case and just me and they got in through another means and I ended up reusing a password/email combo or something.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dammit CliffyB! Stop trying to stop people from playing Fortnite!

/s

I just turned on mine. There was two tries yesterday.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I've had the same warning more than a few times in the past 2 weeks. Finally changed my password and added 2 factor authorisation. Never even played Fortnite, I just checked out Unreal Tournament last year once..

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've been getting "multiple login attempts" from epic the past couple of weeks. I reset my password at that point just to make sure.

Oct 25, 2017
So if I've only played on consoles (ps4), should i have anything to worry about? I don't think i've linked accounts together, nor do i have any emails from epic. Kinda confused about this.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone confirm if it's possible to play BR on PS4 without using an Epic account? I played once a long time ago and don't remember if I set one up or not, and using their password recovery form I don't receive an email.

Didn't connect any payment details to it but it would still be nice to know in case it's linked to my PSN and I've forgotten it exists.

If I recall, Fortnight BR is just like Paragon in that you don't have to have an Epic account to play it on consoles. Connecting your console account to an Epic account gives you the ability to play the same account on PC in addition to consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I got multiple unsuccessful login attempt emails as well, though I haven't logged into my Epic Games account in years. I changed my password and turned on two factor authentication. Not sure how this happened all of a sudden.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
My friend got hacked, she's on pc and they changed her name to Russianspy and stole 600 dollars via paypal or something. So yea something is fishy with Epic right now.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Self-hosted as it implements means your own server. Nextcloud/Owncloud are just examples of software to allow for easy management/hosting of your data so you can access it like Google drive/Onedrive or any other modern cloud storage.

What I meant was the company like SecureSafe as you said host the data so if you chose to sync the data across your devices. So it's more of a matter of do you trust the company to hold your data and if there was ever a breach do you trust the way they store data? As it means your data could still be safe if they store your data well. Keepass/KeepassXC/Enpass and the like just give you more options in cloud providers choosing who to trust with that data. But as you only use local storage then it's not a problem.

I appreciate the clarification. Do you know of any good iOS apps for storing encypted passwords just on the phone itself? If it support TouchID, is it still local?

EDIT: Eh I'm asking for Google-work I can do myself. I'm on it. 1password looks good, some others. Thx

Dammit CliffyB! Stop trying to stop people from playing Fortnite!

lol Radical Hax

Last edited:

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I got an email about this about a week or so ago, so I changed my password (was already unique to Epic, but to be 100% safe on that) and turned on 2FA.

I'm guessing these are people that have info stolen from virtually every other site out there just trying out as much login info as they can on Epic's site with how huge Fortnite is.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten a few emails about someone trying to brute force their way into my epic account. I went on and activated 2FA just in case even though I do absolutely nothing with that account and have no payment info on it whatsoever.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting the emails for months. It started when Fortnite hit big. I never use it and don't have anything on it, and it seems they don't have the password so I don't worry about it.

What does worry me is once or twice a year for years now I receive an email that my Xbox account has been logged into despite me changing the password and having 2FA turned on. Never noticed any purchases or anything, but I do have achievements unlocked in Gears of War 1 which I never got as well as being leveled up in several of the Gears multiplayers even tho I never played them.

Drexion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is the thing that kills Fortnite?
Nothing's stopping this train anytime soon. Within half hour of the servers coming back up this morning there were 250k people watching it on twitch. Epic probably deserves some slack, as no one predicted the insane meteoric rise this game has had, not even the game's most ardent supporters. It regularly has more than 3 mil concurrent players, even established studios will have problems with that kind of playerbase load on their servers.

Fun fact, it's current insane success doesn't even include China, where it has less than 1% of the market. (source) Truly insane. Expect other tripleA studios to start pumping out clones in the near future.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that explains the nonstop epic emails I have been getting for months. Thought they were fishing links so didn't touch them also haven't used epic in like a decade