Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe, just maybe, the game isn't any good and Epic didn't want it on their store. Possibly dev was rejected in the nicest way by whoever curates the store. Instead, of, "your game doesn't meet our minimum standards because it sucks", the dev was given the "we only have room for exclusives" response.

Nah, considerating the amateur quality of their store, i don't think they will have the position to put standards.

They want exclusives because ''cOmPetiTion is gUd'', that's all.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Lol I actually spat out my drink reading this. A business obsession with its market leader is unhealthy? C'mon breh let's do some critical thinking and reasoning.

They are focused on rapid growth through exclusives and will either succeed to be #1 or will not and be shown that buying up exclusives is not a winnable strategy for PC gaming.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I would say I am shocked but it's pretty clear, at least imo, that Tim Sweeneys strategy all along has been to make sure games aren't getting on Steam (at least for their initial launch date.)

This is why EGS will fail long term imo, not that it matters, Tim will remain rich regardless, even if it does fail, there really is no risk for him, just a bored billionaire trying to gain more power it seems.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
It's part of their current strategy.

Pretty sure Playstation has done it too, but no one complains about that.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I actually spat out my drink reading this. A business obsession with its market leader is unhealthy? C'mon breh let's do some critical thinking and reasoning.
Their obsession in labeling Steam as the IRS of PC gaming that does nothing with the money it gets from the devs seems pretty weird as a business decision imo, but I never managed one 🤔

I would have called it Tiny Hawk Pro Skater.
Nice

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They have the money and they can run their business how they like. Devs turning down a guaranteed pay check from Epic vs braving Steam straight up is currently the thing that's really interesting to me.

Systolique

Oct 26, 2017
ITT : people once again discover the foreign concept that is an exclusivity deal, and moderation is okay with extreme toxicity as long as it is aimed towards EGS or Tim Sweeney

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
ITT : people once again discover the foreign concept that is an exclusivity deal, and moderation is okay with extreme toxicity as long as it is aimed towards EGS or Tim Sweeney
ITT: People taking the very briefest of glances at EGS exclusivity threads and assuming actual specifics of details while painting them with a mop.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think it's normal for someone to react to this thread by calling someone a cunt, like the person I referenced?

I would use other words myself, but yeah, I do think that Tim Sweeney just reaps what he sows.

His company are being very aggresive with taking options away from end customers.
They do so with a client that for end users brings nothing new to the table.
His response, and the response from his colleague Sergei Galyonkin is basically just #dealwithit. Just plaing arrogance.

Such actions alongside with such replies is always only going to grow a negative taint around the subject.

It's so very predictable, and yes, normal.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Do you think it's normal for someone to react to this thread by calling someone a cunt, like the person I referenced?

Yeah, uh, guys, that's getting really hostile and weird

You can make your point without going for the jugular, I'm sure

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
EGS can be a crap tier platform, but some people post as if Epic robbed their household. "It's on sight if I catch an Epic thread. Green light in my city." Lol

Their obsession in labeling Steam as the IRS of PC gaming that does nothing with the money it gets from the devs seems pretty weird as a business decision imo, but I never managed one 🤔

Nice

Well I guess as someone who multiple F500 advises businesses, I can tell you "ok." Tim wants to make the argument that Steam money could be better use than just sitting. That's not surprising. Most VCs and funders are focused on capital being used and invested in other areas and not just stockpiling infinitely.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm getting uncomfortable flashbacks to the early days of console gaming that had "You can only publish on this console" clauses.

Fun fact: That died off as a practice because when SEGA tried pulling it on EA, EA went and reverse engineered the Genesis lock out chip, threatening to start their own publishing arm that cut SEGA out of the equation entirely. ...Go figure.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tim Sweeney and Epic deserve respect and praise for their pro-developer initiatives and grants and they deserve shit for their anti-consumer and anti-developer practices they've been using with the Epic Games Store.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So as long it's capitalism, people shouldn't react against it?

No, I think people who are consistantly shocked about Epic games business practices would get an instant heart attack if they read up on our shitty system.

But of course they won't, most will only focus on the single actor here and frame it as an insolated/disloyal competition with Steam.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
So as long it's capitalism, people shouldn't react against it?

e7a.jpg

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
So the public are outraged when games are being sold on EGS, and the public are outraged when games are NOT sold on EGS.

Shouldn't the "hard pass on everything not on Steam" segment of the public be celebrating instead, cause now they can buy the game.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
No, I think people who are consistantly shocked about Epic games business practices would get an instant heart attack if they read up on our shitty system.

But of course they won't, most will only focus on the single actor here and frame it as an insolated/disloyal competition with Steam.

I don't think "shocked" really is the right word there, but I guess it does add some effect to your post when you use it.

What is your recommendation here though? Don't react at all? Just accept things being shitty? Don't express what you feel about it, on a forum for discussions, because the system overall is so shitty that we're all doomed anyway?

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Epic is trying to avoid another Shenmue 3 situation. If they (Skatebird devs) promised Steam keys in their KS, then they (Epic) definitely don't want to pay for another game's refunds. I've never heard of Skatebird until now, so they're definitely going to get a lot of free publicity out of this. They'll save some money on that marketing budget.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I guess the process of adding games to EGS must still not be automated, huh? That or they're literally just not interested in any games that they can't take off of Steam.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like Epic is trying to avoid another Shenmue 3 situation. If they (Skatebird devs) promised Steam keys in their KS, then they (Epic) definitely don't want to pay for another game's refunds.

Oh no no. Epic mostly definitely are ok with repeating the Shenmue 3 debacle over and over again. It's the devs here who in this case said no. Epic doesn't give two cents about what promises are made to backers, as long as they get another exclusive to their store.

I guess the process of adding games to EGS must still not be automated, huh? That or they're literally just not interested in any games that they can't take off of Steam.

It's so manual that it's the reason that some of their own games are not sold on their Store, but on Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
I was always partial to Gran Flamingo. Some people like Burnout Parakeet, of course.
I am really sad Burnout Parakeet is not a thing. Why isn't it a thing. The name is perfect.

So the public are outraged when games are being sold on EGS, and the public are outraged when games are NOT sold on EGS.

Shouldn't the "hard pass on everything not on Steam" segment of the public be celebrating instead, cause now they can buy the game.
Literally nobody is outraged a game is being sold on EGS, but I guess your strawman wouldn't work without leaving some words out, right?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

Even the developer on their tweets seems pretty ok with it. Yeah, Epic should have taken the bird game, but stuff like this happens when the store is curated. It used to be like this with Steam. Who knows of how long it will be like that on Epic.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
This right here. This is the moment EGS has become indefensible. I was fine until now, but this is straight up fucked. If this had happened before I missed it. So mad.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It seems unclear if the game was rejected for a grant, or to be listed at all. If it's just that they rejected it for exclusive benefits because the devs already promised Steam keys, that seems perfectly reasonable.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
I can't wait for their shitty excuse for a storefront to still not have taken off by the time Fortnite fades away.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no no. Epic mostly definitely are ok with repeating the Shenmue 3 debacle over and over again. It's the devs here who in this case said no. Epic doesn't give two cents about what promises are made to backers, as long as they get another exclusive to their store.

Hmm, I guess I misunderstood that twitter post, it seemed like Epic was turning them down because they promised Steam keys on their KS. Either way I would have never heard of this game if Epic wasn't involved somehow lol.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe they just were being kind and didn't want to say to Megan's face her game is crappy. (Which is arguably considering the demo is pretty fun imo)

As I said, who knows really

Hi! regarding the "crappy" comment that's getting you so much blowback- it's early, not crappy. Anyone with experience playing games in a pre-alpha state can tell the quality. Megan Fox is a developer with a fairly decent track record, and while her previous games may not have been top-tier indie they were at least solid. Skatebird had a demo for its Kickstarter that people really liked despite its obviously super-early, buggy nature. Going off the developer's track record it's fairly clear this is going to be a fun, cute, bird-based skateboarding title that will get plenty of polish and content before release and all the necessary support after.

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Make your choice, you either don't want Shenmue 3 situation again or not (epic doesn't from this decline)...you know what Epic wants, what do you expect?
i mean the solution that benefits literally everyone is that the backers get what they were promised and the dev gets to sell on another store in addition to the other one

there are no downsides

epic can't do this because their technology is terrible

maybe they should improve it

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
It seems unclear if the game was rejected for a grant, or to be listed at all. If it's just that they rejected it for exclusive benefits because the devs already promised Steam keys, that seems perfectly reasonable.

My understanding is that the grants were independent of EGS. Could be wrong though.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Hi! regarding the "crappy" comment that's getting you so much blowback- it's early, not crappy. Anyone with experience playing games in a pre-alpha state can tell the quality. Megan Fox is a developer with a fairly decent track record, and while her previous games may not have been top-tier indie they were at least solid. Skatebird had a demo for its Kickstarter that people really liked despite its obviously super-early, buggy nature. Going off the developer's track record it's fairly clear this is going to be a fun, cute, bird-based skateboarding title that will get plenty of polish and content before release and all the necessary support after.
I don't think you're quite getting what they're saying.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks EGS for letting me know about this cool game you don't want to support. Looks like I'll be getting it on Steam and supporting them that way!

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

I am not outraged, I am suprised and now amused and by their incompetentance.

I can see why Steam is not fighting Epic they can just sit back and grab some popcorn and watch Tim destroy EGS for them