• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
LOL wow have times changed. From the article in Tim Sweeney's own words:

Epic is thrilled with everything Microsoft is doing and we feel that we couldn't be happier with the directions they've taken on all their platforms. There's HoloLens, now an open platform. There's Windows, a completely open platform. And Microsoft is launching new Microsoft services of all sorts through the Windows Store. And then there's also Microsoft Game Pass. And those are existing side by side with everybody else's services. And it's a really healthy ecosystem, which everybody participates in.

"And then there is Xbox. Consoles are a unique thing. They are television-attached gaming devices, as opposed to like general computing platforms. You're not doing spreadsheets there. And so it was a different experience and also generally consoles over their history are subsidized hardware and so the hardware recoup some money from software sales. Epic is completely satisfied that their economic models are fair.

"If a bunch of developers get together and decided to make a console, we would probably do something similar. Funding hardware through software is a completely sensible plan. Epic loves Microsoft. Epic hearts Microsoft."

The full article:

https://screenrant.com/epic-games-microsoft-friends-again/

For those unfamiliar, Tim Sweeney kept accusing Microsoft of trying to harm Steam by creating a closed source Windows app store (that never happened) but now that Epic Games has their own app store they apparently had a change of heart.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Did Epic Games and MS ever have any issues? I thought it was always Tim who had issues with MS?

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Wasn't he the biggest opponent of the windows store when it came out ? those millions they got paid for the Gears IP must've made up for all the evil MS was doing....

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not seeing a change of heart in anything here? Seems quite consistent with his past views even though he and Gabe Newell were ridiculously paranoid about Microsoft before they became a leading proponent of open source software.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He wasn't wrong with how they were handling UWP, something that if successful would have had far greater ramifications than something like EGS being successful.

Wasn't he the biggest opponent of the windows store when it came out ? those millions they got paid for the Gears IP must've made up for all the evil MS was doing....

Pretty sure they sold Gears several years before those comments.

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
I'm not seeing a change of heart in anything here? Seems quite consistent with his past views even though he and Gabe Newell were ridiculously paranoid about Microsoft before they became a leading proponent of open source software.

Dude was saying the W10 store was going to kill PC gaming, dude. That's a pretty big change of heart

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Tim Sweeney: "Installing Linux is sort of the equivalent of moving to Canada when one doesn't like US political trends."

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
If Sweeney lauds Microsoft I fear somethings up, epic games store coming to the xbox ecosystem? Some sort of epicpass to play exclusive epic games

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's one sided. He obviously wants the Master Chief Collection to be an EGS exclusive.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
1*5EwDitk5FLCLdiK-r9jMzQ.jpeg

And a happy and lasting reunion was had by all...

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still think Tim Sweeny made sense when he went on a rant about MS Store. But also, money talks.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are quite a number of developers that have been turning around on MS. MS has been doing a lot of good things.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Tim sweeny saying things however he wants them to be and in any shape regardless if its contradictory to his past statements. At this point nothing surprises me nor is trustworthy coming from this man.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
What he is saying about software subsidising hardware is what people never get when they say steam charging 30% is fair cause Sony and MS do it.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
i mean he's a platform provider now, its poor business to go vilifying everyone - last thing you want to do is jeopardize potential deals. That's why, the only bad things he'll ever get to say will be about Valve.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I never knew there was any real bad blood between Epic and Microsoft. I thought Blezinski was the only one who hated MS.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30% is where console makers make their money in order to continue making new hardware. Millions go into R&D to experiment, innovate, and make hardware. Sony's making hand over fist which is going into the production of the PS5 and whatever hardware features it brings.

EDIT: This goes for every dedicated console manufacturer who's main business is hardware selling software.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
30% is where console makers make their money in order to continue making new hardware. Millions go into R&D to experiment, innovate, and make hardware. Sony's making hand over fist which is going into the production of the PS5 and whatever hardware features it brings.

And they already make millions from console sales, accessory sales, online fees and license fees - the 30% is unwarranted - they can definitely lower the rate.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
That "vocal minority" comment in the end of article ended the article on a pretty weird tone. Is that the right time and place for the author of the article put in that kind of opinion, in an article like this?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles don't make a profit, they cost a fortune to develop, manufacture and market. Looked what happened with Steam machines that didn't have that behind them.

Consoles alone don't make that profit, but with everything else I mentioned, there is more than a comfortable margin + an ongoing revenue stream.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Consoles don't make a profit, they cost a fortune to develop, manufacture and market. Looked what happened with Steam machines that didn't have that behind them.

And still Valve developed Proton, developed hardware (Vive with HTC), develops their own Headset now, develops Streaming apps and solutions, developed a streaming plattform, developed a whole VR plattform, offer their APIs for "free", offers universal refunds, have servers all over the world, offers modding and free cloud saves (I mean you need to pay for cloud saves on consoles ffs), now even offer free dedicated server to selected developers (in beta) etc.
You think that doesnt cost anything to maintain and develop?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And still Valve developed Proton, developed hardware (Vive with HTC), develops their own Headset now, develops Streaming apps and solutions, developed a streaming plattform, developed a whole VR plattform, offer their APIs for "free", offers universal refunds, have servers all over the world, offers modding and free cloud saves (I mean you need to pay for cloud saves on consoles ffs), now even offer free dedicated server to selected developers (in beta) etc.
One small correction, just with Nintendo and Sony you have to pay for cloud saves. Xbox One, cloud saves are free. I realize I'm being pedantic, but I see it thrown around a lot but many forget cloud saves are free on Xbox One, and cloud save storage is infinite.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
LOL wow have times changed. From the article in Tim Sweeney's own words:

The full article:

https://screenrant.com/epic-games-microsoft-friends-again/

For those unfamiliar, Tim Sweeney kept accusing Microsoft of trying to harm Steam by creating a closed source Windows app store (that never happened)

You can't say that never happened. UWP is a thing. What matters is that a closed store wasn't gaining traction with Windows users for many obvious reasons.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Tim Sweeney is such a hypocrite. I hope Spencer shows him the finger when he wants to make exclusive deals for Microsofts games.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

I never said Steam has no costs. I said it's massively expensive to make a console and when they had their version there was no subsidy and they failed badly. All three stuff you mention is nothing cost wise to putting a major console out there.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I never said Steam has no costs. I said it's massively expensive to make a console and when they had their version there was no subsidy and they failed badly. All three stuff you mention is nothing cost wise to putting a major console out there.

Right. And all the other hardware manufacturers in the world continue to make hardware even though it's so dang expensive and hard to turn a profit on. You make it seem like not every venture requires up front investment.

In addition to that, contemporary consoles use modified consumer grade parts. It's not being designed from the ground up like the old days.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Yea, not hard to read into a cynical mindset of Sweeney wanting Microsoft on the EGS which would be notable since they would be only the second storefront to achieve this. As far as the Halo MCC on the EGS alone, I don't see how that would be possible given that Microsoft wants it to proliferate and I don't see how Microsoft could be bought into do that.