• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Epic recently hired an Investor relations which(according to Google) is the one who ''effectively control the flow of information between a public company, its investors, and its stakeholders'', so this could mean that EPIC is preparing to have an IPO/going public.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to get a peak at some business details if this is true. I'm sure the SEC filings will have some interesting tidbits.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Another overvalued IPO incoming.

After Roblox I expect Epic Games to be valued at least $50 billion.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I thought they already were lol. Wonder how much they will open at? Seems like it'd potentially be a good stock to get in on the ground floor

Oct 25, 2017
I think this means they can't do free games and crazy $10 coupons much longer. Lots of investors are not going to be happy looking at that kind of expense.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Would be really interesting to know how much of their total revenue is driven by Fortnite related content.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess Epic are just betting on people being invested in Fortnite for the next decade or so.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Epic is far more invested in multimedia production now. they'll be fine whenever fortnite dies
The interesting thing about going public is that there is an expectation from shareholders that growth will happen. I don't think "being fine" for the future is what they're targeting if they're looking to be traded publicly.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'll buy every share and shut down EGS

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Eh seems unnecessary what with the success they had, can only think the big legal battle with apple and Google is proving very costly for them.

Oh well, easy buy

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Epic is far more invested in multimedia production now. they'll be fine whenever fortnite dies

Agree and it's not like they can't create popular games over each decade.

They have had Unreal series to Gears of War to Fortnite.

I imagine they can come up with something when Fortnite dies down as history has shown they can.

Imagine if in game purchases existed in the unreal days. It would have been another fortnite with customization and cosmetics.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Epic is such an amazing success story for the industry. Like Valve it's understandable their lack of interest in developing more new ip/games themselves, they have a huge grip around the industry in many fronts and I don't expect them to slow down.

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, I was under the assumption that Tim wanted to remain the majority shareholder. I suppose that's still possible.

If it does go public, I'm definitely picking up some shares.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel bad for all the employees who actually like their job that are about to get kicked in the face

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
we'll have to see what their evaluation is but between UE4, EGS, and their multimedia ventures i foresee a lot of growth potential here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would Sweeney do it, they must be minted already, seems kinda pointless unless they can't achieve their goals without it. Has Sweeney got Corp envy.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Interesting, I was under the assumption that Tim wanted to remain the majority shareholder. I suppose that's still possible.

If it does go public, I'm definitely picking up some shares.

He's the majority shareholder of a potentially $20bn company - but as a private company it's pretty much impossible for to extract any significant amount of money from that on paper figure.
If he puts up 50% of his shares to float on the stock market, this will make him $10bn in cash and he'll still be the majority stakeholder. those numbers are very conservative, it will all likely be much higher.

Feel bad for all the employees who actually like their job that are about to get kicked in the face
why would they be getting a kick in the face? typically for long-term employees, an IPO works out very well for them.

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
He's the majority shareholder of a potentially $20bn company - but as a private company it's pretty much impossible for to extract any significant amount of money from that on paper figure.
If he puts up 50% of his shares to float on the stock market, this will make him $10bn in cash and he'll still be the majority stakeholder. those numbers are very conservative, it will all likely be much higher.

Tencent have 48,4% stocks in Epic right now, if sweeny sold like the 50% he isn't the majority stakeholders, tencent can even go for an hostile takeover

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Sweeney do it, they must be minted already, seems kinda pointless unless they can't achieve their goals without it. Has Sweeney got Corp envy.
they want UE in more places than just video games. they'll need more investment to grow the engine into a comprehensive production tool. they want shit like Avatar-levels of quality to be built using their engine