• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Fortnite Competitors!

Grab your gear, drop in and start training. Since the launch of Fortnite Battle Royale we've watched the passion for community competition grow and can't wait to empower you to battle with the best.

In the 2018 - 2019 season, Epic Games will provide $100,000,000 to fund prize pools for Fortnite competitions. We're getting behind competitive play in a big way, but our approach will be different - we plan to be more inclusive, and focused on the joy of playing and watching the game.

Stay tuned for more details about competitive structures and eligible platforms in the weeks ahead!
Source: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...e-100-000-000-for-fortnite-esports-tournament

That is A LOT of cash right there.

Edit: to put things in perspective:

To put this in some perspective, in 2017, the top 10 games COMBINED gave out $91.2mm in prize money. Fortnite with the biggest HMB in esports history.

Last edited:

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy for just one year. Clearly they're securing their grasp on their player base as the AAA efforts are starting to hit the scene.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.

That said, how the fuck would competitive Fortnite be interesting to watch. I get watching a streamer, or following a squad, but 100 people? What a nightmare.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I assume that money is not only for the actual prize pool, but also for getting venues, hiring casters and etc.?

Btw. the Ninja event was already pretty good, so I'm looking forward to this. Competetive Fortnite will probably be my go to, when it comes to E-Sports.

They could have funded Half-Life 3 with that money

AAA games are already more expensive than this.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The amount of money this genre is generating is just off the charts. Holy shit they must be making bank big-time for them to drop 100 million bucks on prizes alone.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
One of my favorite quote from Dark Knight...

yHSkGIn.jpg

And the message is that Epic wants to dominate eSports

Oct 25, 2017
I assume that money is not only for the actual prize pool, but also for getting venues, hiring casters and etc.?

Btw. the Ninja event was already pretty good, so I'm looking forward to this. Competetive Fortnite will probably be my go to, when it comes to E-Sports.

AAA games are already more expensive than this.

IT says to fund prize pools

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Just made me realize that they desperately need an actual spectator mode for this.

The amount of money this genre is generating is just off the charts. Holy shit they must be making bank big-time for them to drop 100 million bucks on prizes alone.

What they make in a month probably

Mobile version alone made 50 Million last month and there is an other 3 platforms that you can play the game on.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Serious cash money right there.

I'm not sure how they will turn Fortnite into an eSport though, so many players to account for.

Nov 1, 2017
I guess the only concern is...there is a shit load of money for all of the prize pools but in reality how fun is it to watch? Based off of pubg competitions...pretty fucking boring.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how they will turn Fortnite into an eSport though, so many players to account for.

It's all about having commentators highlighting important encounters, building up a narrative around players that are doing well and keeping matches exciting by emphasizing the top moments. The player count is trimmed quite a lot in the first 5 minutes, after that it's relatively easy to see who's going to do better based on where they are in the map, their gear and their general skill.

If players/squads that are being showcased as possible winners end up getting killed before the final encounter, that's also useful for building drama around those upsets.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Damn.. Lots and lots of money.

That's absolutely gonna gather the attention of pro teams.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
poklane You should probably include the quote about how the Top 10 eSports of 2017 had a combined prize pool of $91.2 million.