• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, at this point? Not Really. I would bet the Fornite earning from iOS and Android will be far more than from PS4 because people playing mobile free 2 play rarely complain about loot box or microtransactions and pump loads and loads of money into those trash gotcha games. Just imagine how much they will give to a quality game like Fornite. On the contrary, console gamers are known for their savviness (or stinginess), they are far less likely to pay because there are so many more great full price games (at a better deal) for them to choose from.

A 70+ million user base is nothing to sneeze at, no matter how many iOS and Android users they get.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I can only hope so. I've said it before and I say it again: no more online barriers is the thing I want the most in the video game hardware market. Just allow everyone to play together. Console wars are dumb. Cross platform and cross buy everything!

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Explain why Epic can't act on this and protest by gimping the PS4 experience if they don't care about the PS4 playerbase.

There are 15K streamers on PSN. That's a sizable number. Now imagine the amount of people playing the game on the PS4.

The PS4 is a big platform. Epic knows this and that's why they're on twitter instead of taking the Minecraft route.

A 70+ million user base is nothing to sneeze at, no matter how many iOS and Android users they get.

I was replying to tbyte64's post:
Epic needs Sony way more than the other way around.

I didn't say Sony needs Epic more than the other way around. What I meant is that Epic may not be so dependent on Sony as many here seems to think. Yes, Epic will lost lots of money if Fornite were not on PS4 but I think the same can be said to Sony as well.

What I was trying to say is that Sony's bargaining power in this matter is no longer that huge as long as mobile platform is on the discussion table. Why should f2p devs care about console platforms when mobile gaming's entry level is close to non existent because of the obiquity of smartphones? I think that's a great argument for Epic or any f2p giants going forward.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Now, I'm not remotely saying Epic would see the same number of players per unit as they would on console, but Apple moved that many iPhones last quarter.
If we're gonna measure the console gaming industry against Apple, then it might as well not exist.

Epic is not gonna gain infinite players and profitability from the mobile versions alone. These consoles are still a large part of their resources.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Not for me. I own both PS4 and Xbox. I don't care for cross-play...and neither anyone of my acquaintances that game.

OK, so another I don't care post from somebody posting on a crossplay thread. You also know the future so you will never know somebody that owns a Switch with a fame you might want to play with in the future. It's a simple question of saying yes I want crossplay or no I don't given the chance.

Oct 27, 2017
But if MS take the lead then they will block crossplay again while Sony will be open for it.

Who has the bigger userbase didn't want to share it.
No they won't. Stop with the hypothetical horsecrap. MS wouldn't play because PSN was vulnerable and had already been down. Why would they open their playerbase to a half assed network. People need to stop using this as an excuse.

Here is the quote from June 2011. "Xbox Live delivers the best entertainment experience unmatched by anyone else, with 35 million actively engaged members. We have a high level of expectation for our game developers to ensure that all Live experiences remain top notch. Because we can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience on other consoles or gaming networks, we currently do not open our network to games that allow this cross-over capability."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku...-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont/amp

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Does it benefit you more than any other pluses there are to be had for being a part of the market leading ecosystem? That's the real question that should be asked.

That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Everyone values the different pros and cons of a console in a different way. Are you capable of answering the question? Or are you another one of the "I don't care about crossplay" team?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Would be great if I could play with my friends on PS4. Don't really know anyone who plays on an Xbox, so my switch to PC kind of took me off multiplayer games overall.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It won't ever happen while Sony is the market leader.

It's still a Japanese company at heart and They would never give away a competitive advantage like this.

You are better off trying to get Nintendo to discount their first party titles in the first 6 months of release.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
No they won't. Stop with the hypothetical horsecrap. MS wouldn't play because PSN was vulnerable and had already been down. Why would they open their playerbase to a half assed network. People need to stop using this as an excuse.

Here is the quote from June 2011. "Xbox Live delivers the best entertainment experience unmatched by anyone else, with 35 million actively engaged members. We have a high level of expectation for our game developers to ensure that all Live experiences remain top notch. Because we can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience on other consoles or gaming networks, we currently do not open our network to games that allow this cross-over capability."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku...-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont/amp

Which is very, very close to the response Jim Ryan gave, except he made a PR blunder and everyone jumped on the "think of the children" angle.

It obviously makes no difference at all to Xbox players if there was crossplay last gen and PSN went down for a whole month. Just like Xbox won't be impacted whatsoever should Nintendo-Online have launch issues or the iOS Fortnite build has a connectivity issue.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Online console gaming has been around close to 2 decades and it hasn't happened. It won't either. Competitors don't tend to play nice.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capture.png

https://trends.google.es/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=crossplay
That...doesn't look like it's mainstream.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina

The exactly same excuse Sony used ;)

Bahamut

Nov 5, 2017
I think people need to take their emotions out of it and look at this from a pure business perspective. It makes zero sense for Sony to implement crossplay this gen.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this happening. It takes an advantage away from the dominant platform and gives it to the smaller ones.

Hence how Microsoft did the exact same thing last gen, then changed their tune when they were no longer in the lead.

If this dominance is flipped next gen, I expected Sony and Microsoft's policies to flip too. Again.

Oct 27, 2017
Which is very, very close to the response Jim Ryan gave, except he made a PR blunder and everyone jumped on the "think of the children" angle.

It obviously makes no difference at all to Xbox players if there was crossplay last gen and PSN went down for a whole month. Just like Xbox won't be impacted whatsoever should Nintendo-Online have launch issues or the iOS Fortnite build has a connectivity issue.

You can't say they almost said that. LOL

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't ever happen while Sony is the market leader.

It's still a Japanese company at heart and They would never give away a competitive advantage like this.

You are better off trying to get Nintendo to discount their first party titles in the first 6 months of release.
I think there's a good contrast here too. Nintendo is a Kyoto based company, and likely the only global based company that comes out of Kyoto (I really don't know of any others besides Nintendo). Kyoto is seeped in tradition. Not say like Tokyo, a more modern region, where Sony originates, and where plenty of global Japanese companies come from. Yet Nintendo, the traditional based company is okay with crossplay.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think people need to take their emotions out of it and look at this from a pure business perspective. It makes zero sense for Sony to implement crossplay this gen.

Not only that, but as far as Sony is concerned, they do allow crossplay with the actual users that matter :- Mobile and PC.

Whether you like the reasoning or not, Sony is not in the business of rewarding people who purchase competing platforms.

I feel if crossplay is something you feel that strongly about, you should just sell your PS4 and get an Xbox.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That... Shows how things are changing. That's a pretty sharp change by any standard. The last 5 years were practically flat on crossplay public perception.
Well yeah, because it's actually being implemented, so it went from flatlined to having a small pulse, but that really doesn't shed light on the specific issue of Sony not allowing crossplay getting any sort of real attention.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think there's a good contrast here too. Nintendo is a Kyoto based company, and likely the only global based company that comes out of Kyoto (I really don't know of any others besides Nintendo). Kyoto is seeped in tradition. Not say like Tokyo where Sony originates, and where plenty of global Japanese companies come from. Yet Nintendo, the traditional based company is okay with crossplay.

Because Nintendo is so hopelessly behind in the online space they need all the help they can get. They can only benefit from crossplay in a way that even Microsoft will not.

Considering the way they conduct every other area of their business, I find very hard to believe if Nintendo network was anyway comparable to Live or PSN they would be so keen.

Oct 27, 2017
The Microsoft statement you quoted doesn't mention network security whatsoever. Just nebulous "quality".

Then you did not read the whole sentence from which you just quoted a single word.

"Because we can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience on other consoles or gaming networks, we currently do not open our network to games that allow this cross-over capability."

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I recall hearing differently. Please show me any communication that states from Sony that network security was an issue for then preventing crossplay.
"Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe."

Yes their network security was a issue for them because they don't want to expose their users... basically the same reply of MS using different words.

Iddshane

Dec 2, 2017
I actually hope Sony doesn't cave. A locked ecosystem is better for the health of PlayStation and the gaming industry.

Having a locked ecosystem is the only reason Xbox Game Pass exist right now.

Competition is a good thing.

MS could leave the hardware side of things and go third party if they really want a piece of the PlayStation community.

Oct 27, 2017
"Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe."

Yes their network security was a issue for them because they don't want to expose their users... basically the same reply of MS using different words.
That's says nothing of network security but playerbase

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This gen wise I don't see it happening unless devs/pubs stop doing half step measures by not fully implementing all platforms they target/want. Until then Sony can probably afford to ride the bad PR until next gen as the noise isn't big enough/mainstream yet. Next gen will hopefully be a full reset on their stance.
I recall hearing differently. Please show me any communication that states from Sony that network security was an issue for then preventing crossplay.
Do you really think that was the issue given "on other consoles or gaming networks,". It's the same angle as Sony just a different less shitty statement.

Last edited:

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
That's just his wishful thinking. There's little financial gain in rival console crossplay, if any at all. And at the end of the day that's the driving factor. MS has completely changed their strategy to reflect "play anywhere" and talk of their games on every console. Sony's bread and butter is "buy a PlayStation to play PlayStation games & to play with PlayStation friends". So no Epic boss, that barrier probably isn't ever coming down.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
That's says nothing of network security but playerbase
Playerbase is behind their network security you know...

Differents words for the same excuse...

Sony used the excuse that their network is the best and they can't guarantee the quality of others?

Lol no.

Sony said "Think of the children" while allowing those children to play against the PC Players lol.
"Think of the children" was a overreacted quote here... the statement was about maintaining the security of their playbase from external agents... anybody can understand they were talking about not opening the PSN network due security of the playerbase.

And yes children plays PlayStation.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This gen wise I don't see it happening unless devs/pubs stop doing half step measures and not fully implementing it. Until then Sony can probably afford to ride the bad PR until need gen as the noise isn't big enough/mainstream yet. Next gen will hopefully be a full reset on their stance.

Do you really think that was the issue given "on other consoles or gaming networks,". It's the same angle as Sony just a different less shitty statement.

Yeah. I have already stated and listed what I mean, instead now the three that are refuting haven't posted anything other than that's what they meant when they stated something else. So please when you can actually post a quote that supports what you mean by not inferring out of context to bend to your narritive please do.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Blue: Fortnite
Yellow: Minecraft
Red: Crossplay

cVJeAkP.png

It's still relatively at a flatline. There's very little pressure for Sony to care at this point considering not all crossplay searches are uproars.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
So, this cross-play thing was announced nearly 1 year ago and companies only understand numbers. Did it affect Sony's revenues in any way? Doesn't seem so.
What can we infer from that? That it isn't as a big deal as many people want it to look like.

Is it a good thing? Nope, it isn't and Sony should do something to allow it, in its own terms. I'm sure things are moving and the barrier will eventually come down. Maybe this gen, maybe next.

Sony used the excuse that their network is the best and they can't guarantee the quality of others?

Lol no.

Sony said "Think of the children" while allowing those children to play against the PC Players lol.

Funny how people forget the first answer Jim Ryan gave, quoting only the children part in a twisted way.
Jim Ryan to Eurogamer said:
It's certainly not a profound philosophical stance we have against this. We've done it in the past. We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance. And I can see your eyes rolling.

But yeah, let's go with the meme. This is the internet and we are all funny.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I have already stated and listed what I mean, instead now the three that are refuting haven't posted anything other than that's what they meant when they stated something else. So please when you can actually post a quote that supports what you mean by not inferring out of context to bend to your narritive please do.
Sorry I should have expanded my point but them stating gaming networks means things like steam/pc which they weren't allowing also. Now if that was the excuse why is it now is so different given "can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience" that would still apply now but doesn't.

What changed was company goals/mindset as now they have an incentive to work on enabling it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I should have expanded my point but them stating gaming networks means things like steam/pc which they weren't allowing also. Now if that was the excuse why is it now is so different given "can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience" that would still apply now but doesn't.

What changed was company goals/mindset as now they have an incentive to work all enabling it to happen.
You could be right

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

cVJeAkP.png

It's still relatively at a flatline. There's very little pressure for Sony to care at this point considering not all crossplay searches are uproars.
I hope people don't ignore this just to try to push the narrative that everyone already wants crossplay.

People really need to figure out how to get people to care enough to make a stink about this.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

cVJeAkP.png

Seems like it's less of a ball in Sony's court. More like an extremely resilient dust bunny.

You can tell it's a very hard concept for some to grasp, just because there's a 50 page thread on an enthusiast forum mostly filled with circular arguments, doesn't mean this issue is actually on anyone's radar in a mainstream sense.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

cVJeAkP.png

Wow... I mean, it pretty much speaks for itself.

If people really want cross-play and they really want to pressure Sony into doing it, they really need to start thinking beyond a daily thread on a web forum.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That raises a completely different question though. Indeed, it very well may be the case that most people don't even know what crossplay is and just have no idea about anything about it and likely have no particular feelings due to that. Pretty hard to have any feelings if you have no clue what's going on or what something even is or anything. It very well may be just a vocal minority that cares in anyway, about this, at all.

...But in that case, why wouldn't Sony do it regardless? If it's just a vocal minority? Because that argument concedes that most people don't know about crossplay, and if they don't know about it, how would they, say, suddenly notice if it were to be enabled? They (Sony) surely have nothing at all to worry about in that case. Can't hurt sales or anything if most people don't even know what "crossplay" is to begin with. People would have to know about if for it to even have the chance of hurting anything. But if most people don't know, and very possibly will never know or care about this one way or the other, how could it possibly hurt them?

I know that's not what you're arguing here, but it's an interesting train of thought to me--any admission that most people don't even know what crossplay is would also be an admission that it would be pretty difficult to hurt sales or damage Sony in any meaningful way. At which point, you're just left with the benefits of consumers. Like I said, I know that's not the argument you're making. But it's very interesting to go down the road of how most people might not even be familiar with crossplay and whether it does or does not exist and what that all does or doesn't mean, and whether people would notice or not if it were to be enabled, etc, because going down that road just seems to completely destroy a lot of the arguments against Sony not letting it be turned on, but that's me.

Implementing crossplay would come at a cost. Not necessarily financial, but in development time, customer and server support, infrastructure, etc. It also exposes your playerbase to potential exploits on other platforms. For example, what happens if someone manages to hack Call of Duty on the Nintendo Switch, and now suddenly everyone on a PS4 is exposed to this cheating despite owning and using the secure console? What recourse could Sony have?

What's the point of exposing your platform to these costs and risks to system integrity when only a minute fraction of your customers are asking for it?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Implementing crossplay would come at a cost. Not necessarily financial, but in development time, customer and server support, infrastructure, etc. It also exposes your playerbase to potential exploits on other platforms. For example, what happens if someone manages to hack Call of Duty on the Nintendo Switch, and now suddenly everyone on a PS4 is exposed to this cheating despite owning and using the secure console? What recourse could Sony have?

What's the point of exposing your platform to these costs and risks to system integrity when only a minute fraction of your customers are asking for it?

Given that cross-play is optional in almost every implementation so far, I'm not sure the above argument holds any weight. PS4 users could simply set their PS4 game to only play with PS4 gamers, to avoid the cheaters on the compromised platform. These kinds of options are things that Sony or any platform holder can mandate as a policy to devs who implement cross-play.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
If Epic want it so bad, they should put the twitter fingers away and explain to Sony why it would be in their best interest (if it even is) to allow it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Eh...the PS eco-system is MUCH bigger than a single game especially Fortnite.
Yes, its popular but it just one of many big brands on the systems. If EA, Activision and Ubisoft would pressure Sony it would be something different. But even then they would be pretty much dead without the PS4 - all their projections are based on having access to that massive PS userbase.
Fortnite works for Sony because Sony does not have PubG. Fortnite is the biggest game on that console. You put too much weight into the PS4, None of those companies would be dead with out Sony, a large chunk of that user base also has aXboxand/or PC. Those companies will be just fine.

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
I still remember when Microsoft was very adamant about not wanting cross platform play a few years back. Sony tried for a long time and I think thats how portal came to be crossplay too, may be wrong there. Sony played the same victim card, the same way MS is doing right now, difference is PS3 was catching up to 360 yearly, Xbox one isn't catching up to PS4 .