• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
luckily im not in the US but i would change country just for the healtcare alone

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wish I could. Sadly my life in Mexico would be so much worse than it is here, to be honest. However, I'm getting a top-notch education, and will surely leave with the rest of my family once we have the adequate funds.

RabidDwarf76

Oct 27, 2017
I moved back to the states two years ago a few months before the election. I have no desire to leave anytime soon. I'm not opposed to living abroad again if I get an opportunity for work but I don't see the current political climate as a reason to leave. If any of you do make the move I'd be very interest in hearing where you moved to, how you went about doing so, and updates over time of your experiences.

Oct 27, 2017
I have the option to move to Canada, seems like a good bet, since I have family and friends there already, and I've already lived in Toronto for some time when I was younger.

I'm fascinated by the Netherlands, like Norway ... seems like such a chill place to live.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has certainly crossed my mind but I'm not handing this country over that easily. They're still outnumbered. We can do something with that. Now isn't the time to give in and jump ship.

ryul2

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I would have left a long time ago if I could but as of right now I wouldn't be able to get a decent job elsewhere (although i'm going to school at night to hopefully eventually apply to graduate school in a couple of years). That being said, while things are going to shit, I live in WA so it isn't a complete shit show (although the cost of living is high in the Seattle area).

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Ain't going anywhere without family and my best friends. And I'm in California so there's that, at least.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
If I had a lot of money, totally. However, that's mostly irrespective of the political climate. I've always dreamt of traveling the world and living somewhere in Europe or East Asia.

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
I love to, but its not feasible. Especially now that he got fantastic health insurance with a hospital that he works at and I just got accepted to a nursing program so no. I think we'll be okay despite of the fallout. We're definitely NOT having kids for 100% sure though.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
It has certainly crossed my mind but I'm not handing this country over that easily. They're still outnumbered. We can do something with that. Now isn't the time to give in and jump ship.
This. The old conservatives get older and older. The Republicans bread and butter will die in the next few election cycles.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This. The old conservatives get older and older. The Republicans bread and butter will die in the next few election cycles.

I used to think that would be enough, but seeing the rise of young Trumpians just makes me feel like we really won't gain anything when the Boomers start dropping.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I'm more inclined to leave for a decade and see if it gets any better. On the off chance it does, then I'll return to LA. But until then, I wouldn't risk my life for any part of this country outside of LA County.

And yes I know this sounds selfish and opportunistic, but fuck it. I'm a minority that's privileged enough to be able to leave and still have property here. I'm just gonna go full vulture at this point.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see...

1. All my family lives here
2. I have three kids
3. I'm married
4. I own a house
5. I have a good job
6. I like where I live

Nah, I'm good.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to, but with a wife and 2 kids it's not very easy. We've talked about it some and if things continue to get worse I'll probably start looking for a job.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Not yet, no.

If it came to the US Government changing things, like postponing elections, Neo-McCarthyism, etc, then I'd consider having my family go somewhere else. I lack marketable skills aside from being a great networker, where my wife is exceptional in her field. She'd take the kids, and hopefully other folks (if possible), and go somewhere safe.

I'd stay, and I'd defend.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think about it sometimes. I haven't given up yet, though, nor do I really have the resources to leave. My girlfriend has dual citizenship (Jamaican) but Jamaica's got it pretty bad right now.

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Uh there's plenty of people in this thread who said they've already left. What thread are you reading?
the one in which he realizes how little control he has over his life that he can't actually leave a bad situation so he applies his hopeless situation to everybody else. man, it must suck to not be able to just leave. I wouldn't know. Options are great.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only if I get a job offer and work visa somewhere else would I consider, but otherwise no.

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to.

Just at this point, financially it wouldn't work out. I'm sure once I've had some time to research and actually get started things will be different for me. It's always been an option.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
the one in which he realizes how little control he has over his life that he can't actually leave a bad situation so he applies his hopeless situation to everybody else. man, it must suck to not be able to just leave. I wouldn't know. Options are great.
Hopeless? I love it here.

Oct 29, 2017

Granted, not everyone has the resources or ability to leave. They might be too deeply rooted with respect to family, job, friends, home ownership, career, funding, etc. I'm not really going to insult anyone as "complacent" because they can't move or don't want to.

Which is all the sillier when the opposite happens: insulting people who DO have the means to go. Calling people everything form "dramatic" to "cowards". Like I said earlier in this thread, there's people here who seem to think it's a personal affront to their person that there's people out there who don't think the US is the single best country in the world and is worth fighting for at any cost. They've never been exposed to the idea that people might want to leave their country, so they turn to petty name-calling and a dismissive tone.

I'm already a first-generation immigrant. I've already experienced and gone through what a lot of posters in here like to paint as insurmountable complications. I honestly wouldn't mind all that much if I did it again.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind starting over somewhere else. But honestly my family is so damn important to me I want to be close to them for as long as I can.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I'd stay, and I'd defend.

Just a general question, not specifically aimed at you (quoting because you're the last I see who has said this), but what are you doing currently to defend or defy this government? Are you at protests every weekend are you campaigning or helping in a campaign? If the plan for everyone who are chastising people for leaving is just to vote in the next election, well I'll just fill out an absentee form and contribute as much as everyone else while not being stuck in hell.

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Granted, not everyone has the resources or ability to leave. They might be too deeply rooted with respect to family, job, friends, home ownership, career, funding, etc. I'm not really going to insult anyone as "complacent" because they can't move or don't want to.

Which is all the sillier when the opposite happens: insulting people who DO have the means to go. Calling people everything form "dramatic" to "cowards". Like I said earlier in this thread, there's people here who seem to think it's a personal affront to their person that there's people out there who don't think the US is the single best country in the world and is worth fighting for at any cost. They've never been exposed to the idea that people might want to leave their country, so they turn to petty name-calling and a dismissive tone.

I'm already a first-generation immigrant. I've already experienced and gone through what a lot of posters in here like to paint as insurmountable complications. I honestly wouldn't mind all that much if I did it again.
The coward remarks are interesting to me personally too. I'm a former Marine, but my guess is most of the blow-hards on here have no idea what real sacrifice is. Safe in the warm embrace of their parents house over their heads. Not really aspiring to much beyond quips on the internet. What a sad, pathetic existence.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If the plan for everyone who are chastising people for leaving is just to vote in the next election, well I'll just fill out an absentee form and contribute as much as everyone else while not being stuck in hell.
Yeah, if people mean "defend" as in vote, don't worry. I'll make sure to send in that absentee ballot. But the most change people can do (outside of bloody extremes) is probably run for office, and if that's what they mean by defend, then no thanks. I'm not moving to a red or purple leaning state to defend this place.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Just a general question, not specifically aimed at you (quoting because you're the last I see who has said this), but what are you doing currently to defend or defy this government? Are you at protests every weekend are you campaigning or helping in a campaign? If the plan for everyone who are chastising people for leaving is just to vote in the next election, well I'll just fill out an absentee form and contribute as much as everyone else while not being stuck in hell.

Completely understood, and I take your question as one asked in good faith.

For myself, it's advocate, donate, vote. I'm fortunate enough to live in a state where my representatives are virtually 1:1 with my beliefs (MA).

I don't have many connections outside of blue districts, but those that I DO have, I'm working on. Swing state voters, and potentially swing district voters (some are harder than others). Thus far, I think I've made quality progress with one (when he says things like "yeah, this asshole is fucking with things he shouldn't fuck with", I take it as positive), and I'm *this fucking close* with another. If I can change two votes in swing states, then I think that helps.

I also educate my children. Without going into specific details....they get information that they can comprehend (they're young). I hate the fact that my 8 y/o knows what the Nazi's are, what they stood for, and what they did, but those assholes are out there holding up signs and tiki torches and are being shown on the news, so he needs to know.

To what else you wrote...I don't chastise anyone that chooses to leave. It's not anyone else's job to "fix" this. It's mine.

And I also believe that the more people choose to take on the "work" to try to change hearts and minds, and votes, we'll be better off. But I've benefited from lots of things, including privilege. So no, anyone that chooses to leave, may. No judgment.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Completely understood, and I take your question as one asked in good faith.

For myself, it's advocate, donate, vote. I'm fortunate enough to live in a state where my representatives are virtually 1:1 with my beliefs (MA).

I don't have many connections outside of blue districts, but those that I DO have, I'm working on. Swing state voters, and potentially swing district voters (some are harder than others). Thus far, I think I've made quality progress with one (when he says things like "yeah, this asshole is fucking with things he shouldn't fuck with", I take it as positive), and I'm *this fucking close* with another. If I can change two votes in swing states, then I think that helps.

I also educate my children. Without going into specific details....they get information that they can comprehend (they're young). I hate the fact that my 8 y/o knows what the Nazi's are, what they stood for, and what they did, but those assholes are out there holding up signs and tiki torches and are being shown on the news, so he needs to know.

To what else you wrote...I don't chastise anyone that chooses to leave. It's not anyone else's job to "fix" this. It's mine.

And I also believe that the more people choose to take on the "work" to try to change hearts and minds, and votes, we'll be better off. But I've benefited from lots of things, including privilege. So no, anyone that chooses to leave, may. No judgment.

Hey Omega, thanks for the response! Sorry, again, my post wasn't aimed at you specifically, even if it was your post i quoted, so I did not mean to imply you were chastising others for leaving; I've just seen others in this thread do so and was also wondering what their current efforts against the government include.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Hey Omega, thanks for the response! Sorry, again, my post wasn't aimed at you specifically, even if it was your post i quoted, so I did not mean to imply you were chastising others for leaving; I've just seen others in this thread do so and was also wondering what their current efforts against the government include.

No worries, and no offense taken :)

You have NO need to apologize whatsoever.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, life is good where I am. Feel sorry for people that don't have it the same way, but there really isn't much I can do about that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't have the money, don't have the language expertise, studied explicitly in American systems and at the end of the day I'm still a white male living in a blue state so no.