Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brown is a composite caused by all three primary pigments mixing, or mixing red, black and yellow. It's not just a shade, per se - it's a combination of colors.

Red and yellow make orange, black darkens it. I suppose I'm using the term wrong, but my point is that it's unique among the popular 'colors' used by the general population in that it is technically dark orange rather than a specific combination of primary colors.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
im not sure if people actually watched the video (or it might have been in his other color video) but theres an important thing that seems to be being missed

hes largely talking about rgb and recreations of it, not just brown out in the world. specifically brown on your monitor or phone or even just leds he bought

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Red and yellow make orange, black darkens it. I suppose I'm using the term wrong, but my point is that it's unique among the popular 'colors' used by the general population in that it is technically dark orange rather than a specific combination of primary colors.
Brown isn't red + yellow + black. It's any color + its complement.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I understand what the video is trying to say, but the optical illusion doesn't work for me. The change in the background just shifted the square from light to dark brown.

Dark Orange is quite a beautiful colour, actually.

il_340x270.2320669796_3f0w.jpg

8744ecbc4c398a7269c0dcfd6465b57b.jpg

de3e7efd1b830b602b706a2e0d81733c.jpg

Brown tends to lean more towards yellows, but I think Dark Orange leans more on reds. There is space for brown, but I also think there's enough room on the colour spectrum for all sorts of shades and hues of orange and brown. :P

My artist brain says: Close! But there's a world of difference as well between tints and saturations that come with it.

If I need a colour that's "dark orange" then it'll surely be different then something that needs to be coloured "brown". Pretty sure most people deciding living room colours can appreciate that haha.
See, I would describe all three of these images as being brown.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brown isn't red + yellow + black. It's any color + its complement.

That's true, I guess I'm getting confused with what they're saying in the video vs actual pigment mixing. I know in RGB you just add black to orange to approach brown. It really is just darker orange when I make brown in Photoshop.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That square looked brown the whole time for me, never orange.

I guess my superior brain just can't be fooled.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Did you guys never mix paint in 3rd grade art class? Brown is yellow red and blue mixed in different quantities

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Colour theory is neat. You can trick the brain into interpreting hues and values differently by way of what its placed next to.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it looked orange the whole time, and I am in a dark room. However, once he started writing text with the "dark orange" colors it did appear brown.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
That's true, I guess I'm getting confused with what they're saying in the video vs actual pigment mixing. I know in RGB you just add black to orange to approach brown. It really is just darker orange when I make brown in Photoshop.
Lol, I didn't watch the video but your comment made me realize/suspect it was just made by someone having a mindblown.gif moment re:additive vs subtractive color.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I think OP made a mistake time-stamping the video. The whole thing is worth a watch, and when most of the 300 IQ color wizards in this thread actually watch it they're going to feel pretty embarrassed.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Don't perceptions of colour tend to change between cultures and languages anyway?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
How can the best color not be real?
Visible light has a wavelength of 400–700 nm, which ranges from blue, to green, to red.
A rough approximation looks like this:

visible-spectrum-iajvs.png

If we display it another way, this triangle represents the range of colors humans can see:
cie_1976_ucs31ktg.png

On this chart, the spectrum is represented by the outer edge, ranging from 420nm (blue) in the lower left, wrapping around to 515nm (green) in the upper left, and 680nm (red) in the upper-right.
That line along the right edge, between 420 and 680 nm with no label on it?
Those are colors our brain invents for "in-between blue and red" in the absence of green.

It's not that we can't identify shades of purple, magenta, crimson etc.
But there are no pure wavelengths of light which correspond to those colors. It's how our brain perceives mixtures of multiple wavelengths of light.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
I mean isn't colour just a spectrum?

Black, grey and white are just contrasts of the spectrum

also where is the cut off point of dark orange and light brown?