Do you know any Trump supporters in real life?

• Yes

Votes: 977 81.7%
  • No

Votes: 219 18.3%

• Total voters

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My mom is one of them. She's a first generation Asian immigrant, deeply religious, mistrustful of other minorities (particularly african-americans) except for the "good" ones, and very traditional. If I had to sum up her world view, it's 'Got mine, fuck you.' It's certainly affected our relationship for the worse but she's my mom. I don't think I could ever cut her off fully but after the first few attempts to try and talk to her, I just avoid talking politics or social issues with her.

Oct 31, 2017
My mom is one of them. She's a first generation Asian immigrant, deeply religious, mistrustful of other minorities (particularly african-americans) except for the "good" ones, and very traditional. If I had to sum up her world view, it's 'Got mine, fuck you.' It's certainly affected our relationship for the worse but she's my mom. I don't think I could ever cut her off fully but after the first few attempts to try and talk to her, I just avoid talking politics or social issues with her.

out of curiosity, what kind of asian?

vider

Oct 27, 2017
Slovenia
As someone living in Slovenia (where the incredibly intelligent and well spoken Melania is from), I unfortunately know a lot of racists, xenophobic, homophobic dumb fucks that fully embrace and support Trump. Luckily everyone close to me hates him with a passion.

Nov 1, 2017
I think the most disheartening thing to read from these replies is the sheer number of people that had racist attitudes bubble to surface within a year's time that no one close to them saw.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
Policies such as limited immigration, the removal of illegal immigrants, or the banning of Muslim immigration, while affecting minorities, that is not the base intention. The base intention of these policies, would be to enhance the way of life of Americans as a national group, not a racial one.
The base intention of Trump's Muslim ban was to ban Muslims, though, wasn't it?

And you know, I've heard "ensure national security", but never "enhance the way of life of Americans as a national group". This seems like an odd way of phrasing... something else...

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
If you disagree that water is wet, that is being disingenuous.

Yes, because water being wet is an inherent property.

I do not believe that people being blatantly racist is an inherent quality of anyone. You need to prove that this is the case.

When you say "those are stats" leaving out that they're obviously false stats, that's being disingenuous

Someone asked me what they were. I answered. If they didn't want that answer, then they should have connected their evidence to a conclusion, rather than let me state one.

It wasn't a straw man. It was an analogy.

Those are not mutually exclusive.

I am saying that something is not racist if the claim is not based in race.

You are saying that something is not racist if it is based on false information while implying (at least, I think you are?) that the it is the same as the argument above.

Yet you claim that Donald Trump did not run a campaign based on said racism.

Didn't Sanders write an essay about how women enjoy rape? It seems unfair to say that because someone thinks or does one thing, that it must then be the basis for their political platform.

Does Trump has a history of racism? Yes. Does this mean that he campained on "blatantly white supremacist" ideas? No.

Of course it is. Everyone can see that it is. It's obvious that no one, even the founders of BLM, would EVER argue that police kill more black people than black people kill each other. The attempt to try and divert focus from the issue and say "hey, black people talk about police brutality, but what about BLACK on black brutality?" is so transparently racist, especially when juxtaposed to the insinuation that most whites aren't killed by other whites (patently false) that it's absolutely incredible to me that you can't recognize the intent behind it.

It's a red herring, yes. But that does not make it racist. Poor argumentation is not inherently racist.

It's saying "these subhumans keep complaining about police brutality when they can't even stop killing themselves",

Woah woah woah woah. Is Trump saying that black people are subhuman based on this information? Is this a sentiment of his voter base? Most people who see this statistic would blame it on something cultural, like rap music, not on genetics.

You're trying to play contrarian by atributing the most wholesome intent possible to each questionable Trump act. It's incredibly transparent, and at this point I'm dropping the argument because, as you've repeatedly shown, you just aren't willing to take your fingers out of your ears to argue in good faith.

Capitulating purely because someone on the Internet disagrees with me is pathetic and the most furthest thing from arguing in good faith.

So should or shouldn't the American populous analyze the intent behind their representatives' policy making?

Of course they should. I would never deny that they should. That is the ideal democratic situation. But that ideal will unfortunately never come to be.

And I'm not overanalyzing either because no, not every ideological position can be connected to racism through "enough analyzation"

I disagree. This is more of a literary topic, but the interpretation of a work is ultimately up to the person viewing the work. And because of the inherent ambiguity of text, that conclusion could essentially be anything.

Trump and his administration themselves failed to give any reason to believe that the base intention for their policy wasn't rooted in white supremacy. If Trump himself or his policymakers can't give a factual basis for their policy or use the idea that Mexico is flooding us with it's "rapists and criminals", that's on them and not myself for being critical. They're supposed to convince me. They are supposed to make me believe they actually have empathy and aren't simply motivated by a distaste for minorities. That's their job as politicians and not my own to go easy on them.Especially when their own history shows a pattern of white supremacy focused policymaking and political rhetoric. It's possible to talk about.

Being skeptical about the motivations of a person's actions is one thing. Ascribing a ludacris motivation to those actions is another thing entirely.

For example, one could be skeptical of the narrative behind 9/11. But coming to the conclusion that 9/11 was an inside job based on that skepticism is, infact, the anti-thesis of skepticism.

Given that, I don't think it is a super controversial statement to say that Trump has, on numerous occasions, expressed that the motivation behind his policy is to put "American first". Not white people first. Not straight men first. America first. Now, you could be skeptical of his motivations for saying this and chalk it up to nothing more than a bland political speak. An attempt to simply get voters. But being skeptical of his motivations and saying something is "blatant white supremacy" is two different worlds. You can be unconvinced, but saying that "I will put America first" or "Make America Great Again" is code for white supremacy is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Regarding the statistic, I don't really care if Trump didn't create this image. He is the president. Either he should look up/actually know the facts about what he's talking about or check his sources to make sure he's not posting something patently false.

This tweet was put out November 22nd 2015. A full year before he would win the Presidential election.

In this case, either he was just stupid and posted it without thinking which implies he already has it in his head that black people are dangerous and police brutality isn't real which doesn't inspire anything but contempt.

When the image of the "Thug" is the common image when the idea of violence perpetrated by African Americans in the mind of your standard baby-boomer neo-con, it shouldn't come as a shock. This ultimately underlines a view shared by many Americans of life as an African American in an urban area. The image of the "Thug" is not seen as something that is inherent to the nature of African Americans, but rather the cultural biproduct of their environment. So rather, it is not that black people as a whole are seen as inherently dangerous and genetically inferior, but rather that someone who has lived in a dangerous environment for their entire life would then turn out dangerous.

Sorry Chrome , but Trump and his cabinet have a history of racist behavior. Their campaign and then their policies have been a series of unsubtle appeals to their racist base.

I can't imagine what would motivate you to make so many posts in their defense.

One of the first posts I made in this discussion was highlighting how the difference between an ethnocentric contempt of a group based on their culture and a racist contempt of a group based on their race. Both could be considered damning. But saying that Trump's campaign is based on "blatant white supremacy", in my mind is nothing more than an extreme falsehood, absolutely devoid of any nuance or tact. In my mind, such view points are an inherent detriment to society and should be challenged whenever they are seen. So by no means am I defending the actions of the Trump administration. With the exception of Trump working with Democrats on DACA, I have heard little of anything good from his tenure. But criticizing something for what it's not is not something that I am willing to slide by.

If it were to directly target Muslims as a minority group, then Trump would be willing to remove all Muslims from the US on top of permanently stopping Muslim immigration. But the Muslim ban is neither permanent nor are Muslims who are in the US legally being deported. Given this, he is not targetting minorities because they are minorities, but rather that he thinks that there is a problem with the vetting process for bringing Muslims into the US. According to him, the best way to resolve this problem is to temporarily shut down the system such that it can be reworked.

And you know, I've heard "ensure national security", but never "enhance the way of life of Americans as a national group"

"Make America Great Again" was literally his campaign slogan.

False macros and 'statistics' like that one are made with a clear racist purpose, and it was retweeted by Trump.

See above. The image could just as easily imply that there is a problem with the "African American community". The interpretation of the data would vary from person to person, but I think most would go with the idea that it is a cultural problem, not a racial one.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
So, Chrome, Why is it so important to you to use incredible amounts of sophistry and obfuscation to defend a crowd of people who are clearly racist?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Didn't Sanders write an essay about how women enjoy rape? It seems unfair to say that because someone thinks or does one thing, that it must then be the basis for their political platform.

Does Trump has a history of racism? Yes. Does this mean that he campained on "blatantly white supremacist" ideas? No.

What? What does that have to do with what we're talking about?

You're changing the argument. I didn't say anything about white supremacy. I said Trump ran his campaign based on racism. You said he's got a history of exhibiting said racism.

It makes no sense for you to claim that Trump, who has lived the entirety of his adult life being racist and surrounding himself with racists, then exhibit racist remarks and viewpoints while he's running for president, did not run his campaign on racism (while he continued to display racist remarks and actions throughout that time).

No sense at all.

You also said someone has to frame their opinion around "superior genetics" on order for their viewpoints to be considered racist, which is a contradiction, considering you conceded that Trump has a history of racist behavior. He never made any mention of genetics, ever, either before or after the campaign, unless I missed it.

You seem to be playing contrarian for the sake of it with no intent on actually backing anything up.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are not mutually exclusive.

I am saying that something is not racist if the claim is not based in race.

You are saying that something is not racist if it is based on false information while implying (at least, I think you are?) that the it is the same as the argument above.

No. I'm mocking your insistence that nothing can ever be racist unless it explicitly says that one race is inferior to another, and history and context don't matter.

And now you're defending the stereotype of the black thug. Jesus.

This hyperliteral schtick you're engaged in isn't intellectual, it's the opposite.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Make America Great Again combined with his policies and actions is pretty obvious dogwhistling...

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
You're changing the argument. I didn't say anything about white supremacy. I said Trump ran his campaign based on racism.

Someone initially said that Trump's campaign was based on "blatant white supremacy". Eitherway, I still have yet to see how any of his campaign promises are based in race alone.

You also said someone has to frame their opinion around "superior genetics" on order for their viewpoints to be considered racist, which is a contradiction, considering you conceded that Trump has a history of racist behavior. He never made any mention of genetics, ever, either before or after the campaign, unless I missed it.

Genetics is a primary feature of racism, but not the only topic. His denial of black people homes on the basis that they were black is what I would consider racist. Denying someone a home based on the way they present themselves, however is not racist.

For this reason, saying that an inner city black "thug" is dangerous is not racist, as it is based in presentation, not race. Saying that all black people are dangerous is racist, as it is based in race.

I'm mocking your insistence that nothing can ever be racist unless it explicitly says that one race is inferior to another

That's what racism is, is it not?

Make America Great Again combined with his policies and actions is pretty obvious dogwhistling...

Is American a race? Did I miss something?

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Capitulating purely because someone on the Internet disagrees with me is pathetic and the most furthest thing from arguing in good faith.

What's pathetic is saying that if someone makes up statistics with an explicit intent to discredit black people and make them seem like monstrous predators, that's simply a "bad argument". I'm done talking to you not because you disagree, but because you keep repeating the same justifications ad nauseum when countless posters have put forth well reasoned objections that you discount simply because they don't fit into your incredibly narrow threshold for what could possibly constitute racism. When you can't read subtext and expect racism to be defined only by someone outwardly expressing their feeling that his race is superior to others, you're not interested in having a discussion, just to defend your preconceptions no matter what evidence someone provides.

I'll leave you with this video, maybe it'll help you open your mind a little:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Making America Great Again + endorsement from the KKK and neonazis + VP who supported gay torture camps + racist immigration policies based on fear and racism and not facts along with the racist rhetoric + having a history of treating black people and women like shit + kicking out DACA recipients + cutting healthcare + the history of what America actually used to be like, unwavering support for the police = dogwhistling

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Someone initially said that Trump's campaign was based on "blatant white supremacy". Eitherway, I still have yet to see how any of his campaign promises are based in race alone.

Genetics is a primary feature of racism, but not the only topic. His denial of black people homes on the basis that they were black is what I would consider racist. Denying someone a home based on the way they present themselves, however is not racist.

For this reason, saying that an inner city black "thug" is dangerous is not racist, as it is based in presentation, not race. Saying that all black people are dangerous is racist, as it is based in race.

You're not even bothering to respond to the content of my posts anymore and clumping me with other people. You're making this conversation incredibly clunky by doing so.

I never said.. anything about campaign promises? What? I originally said that he ran his campaign on racism, and pointed to something he said BEFORE HE EVEN CAMPAIGNED (that he "assumes some of them are good people", in reference to people arriving in the U.S. from Mexico, and also (later on) claiming that a judge couldn't do a good job because he's Mexican). I said nothing about it being the ONLY thing he ran on, however.

Given that race is a socially created taxonomy based on physical (therefore: based in genetics) differences, stating that one group is superior to another based on genetic traits is racist. If such claims are not based in genetics, then they are claims about the culture of a group. Such claims about culture are ethnocentric, but not racist as it has nothing to do with the race of the group and everything to do with the culture of the group.

.. You originally stated that something could only be racist if it has to do with genetic superiority. Now you're changing it to "well, you can also be racist in other ways".

It's like your opinions and arguments change depending on where the wind is blowing you.

Last edited:

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
If it were to directly target Muslims as a minority group, then Trump would be willing to remove all Muslims from the US on top of permanently stopping Muslim immigration. But the Muslim ban is neither permanent nor are Muslims who are in the US legally being deported. Given this, he is not targetting minorities because they are minorities, but rather that he thinks that there is a problem with the vetting process for bringing Muslims into the US. According to him, the best way to resolve this problem is to temporarily shut down the system such that it can be reworked.
Ah yes, "temporary". Just like the War on Terror, or the state of emergency in Egypt imposed after Sadat's assassination attempt (from 1984 until the Arab Spring). Trump doesn't have to advocate for the deportation of citizen Muslims. He doesn't have to be coherent or effectual (which you admit he's not) to have certain intentions. Maybe he just knows he can't do that and feels content trying to ban Muslims from entering the United States. My father knows he can't deport Mexicans but is content in saying something under his breath when he sees them. I knew someone in highschool who couldn't undo the Civil War but was content in never playing basketball with the black kids. Anyway, I have to add that wriggling around what Trump actually believes ("he thinks there is a problem with the vetting process"; why does he think we need to vet all Muslims?) while simultaneously sticking up for his right to not be mislabelled is mildly disconcerting. I don't know why you find it your moral duty to stick up for him.
"Make America Great Again" was literally his campaign slogan.
What a sleight of hand. I merely said that a blanket ban on a religious group hardly qualifies as an honest attempt at putting a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage. You slither, and it pesters me.

You know, I don't care much for the war of words, either. Whether or not Trump is a bonafide White Supremacist, proper noun, is irrelevant to me and it's often niggling that political discussion debases itself into hurled labels, justified or not. But Trump oozes with nauseous unrepentant nationalism and it drips onto everything he touches, well intentioned or not. It's not some cosmic injustice that people would brand him the way they do and if you're really intent on clutching your pearls about it despite having no real skin in the game, I can tell you right now you're just going to derail threads and waste everyone's time.

Last edited:

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Of course they should. I would never deny that they should. That is the ideal democratic situation. But that ideal will unfortunately never come to be.

I disagree. This is more of a literary topic, but the interpretation of a work is ultimately up to the person viewing the work. And because of the inherent ambiguity of text, that conclusion could essentially be anything.

Being skeptical about the motivations of a person's actions is one thing. Ascribing a ludacris motivation to those actions is another thing entirely.

For example, one could be skeptical of the narrative behind 9/11. But coming to the conclusion that 9/11 was an inside job based on that skepticism is, infact, the anti-thesis of skepticism.

Given that, I don't think it is a super controversial statement to say that Trump has, on numerous occasions, expressed that the motivation behind his policy is to put "American first". Not white people first. Not straight men first. America first. Now, you could be skeptical of his motivations for saying this and chalk it up to nothing more than a bland political speak. An attempt to simply get voters. But being skeptical of his motivations and saying something is "blatant white supremacy" is two different worlds. You can be unconvinced, but saying that "I will put America first" or "Make America Great Again" is code for white supremacy is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

This tweet was put out November 22nd 2015. A full year before he would win the Presidential election.

When the image of the "Thug" is the common image when the idea of violence perpetrated by African Americans in the mind of your standard baby-boomer neo-con, it shouldn't come as a shock. This ultimately underlines a view shared by many Americans of life as an African American in an urban area. The image of the "Thug" is not seen as something that is inherent to the nature of African Americans, but rather the cultural byproduct of their environment. So rather, it is not that black people as a whole are seen as inherently dangerous and genetically inferior, but rather that someone who has lived in a dangerous environment for their entire life would then turn out dangerous.

I'm not going to not expect Americans to be more discerning of their politicians just because that "isn't the current reality of democracy". I don't really care. If people don't want to educate themselves or ask themselves more questions about what motivates the people who create the things that affect their lives, they shouldn't get angry if people get pissed at them for awful decision making. If that'll never happen, then they'll have to learn to put up with blowback from those who have to suffer at the hands of elected politicians.

If someone has a history of stealing your identity and they ask for your credit card information and social security number you wouldn't consider ascribing unwholesome motivations to their intent behind their asking as unfair. It's not ludicrous to say that a man who has a history of feeding into racism and white supremacy might use those as a jumping off point for what laws he seeks to implement. Trump does not have to say "I hate black people and want them to suffer and be oppressed by straight white men". He does that through his behavior. He expresses his racism through the way he interacts with the world. When he says "Make America Great Again" and his base eats it up yet can't answer when America was "great" for anyone other than people who were straight, white and male, what else is one supposed to glean from that beyond that such people don't actually read history or make policy from anything other than the perspective of the people they see as the most valuable to consider.

I was wrong about calling him president but it doesn't really matter if it was before or after. He was still a public figure. At the time he'd announced his candidacy anyway which was even more of a propellant into the public conversation. If he's a person who wants to be taken seriously at any point, let alone be a man of power and influence, knowing if what he posts is kosher and not potentially dangerous or damaging is paramount.

The phrase "one of the good ones" wouldn't even exist if people who espoused it didn't think all black people were or had the potential to be violent thugs. If people who posted statistics like Trump actually had a concern about the environment "thugs" came from rather than the inherent condition of the people from there, they wouldn't encourage police brutality. They'd post more useful and truthful statistics about the state of the school to prison pipeline, racially based job discrimination, wage gaps between minority and majority races, gentrification, school integration. These are ways to change the state of the environment if they actually cared but rather they post false statistics about how blacks kill more of themselves and white people than police which does nothing but speaks to some genetic coding in black people. The "image" of a thug is just that, an image. Perpetuated throughout the entirety of US history with the distinct purpose of making black people seem like an undesirable racial group. It's an image that's easily dispelled if the people who bought into it actually made any effort but they don't.

Oct 31, 2017
The crazy part is that this poster might not even be trolling and honestly may believe that he's making well reasoned arguments in good faith...

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
User was warned for trolling, attention sucking, endless poor arguments.
but because you keep repeating the same justifications ad nauseum

Because the same arguments keep coming up.

when countless posters have put forth well reasoned objections that you discount simply because they don't fit into your incredibly narrow threshold for what could possibly constitute racism

So I should think that a word means something it doesn't? I'm not denying that what these people are saying is bad. But calling something racist when it's not, like I said, waters down the term. If anything can be racist, then it leads to people asking "what's so bad about racism" then. I do not want that to happen.

You're not interested in having a discussion, just to defend your preconceptions no matter what evidence someone provides.

If I was interested in defending my ideas, I would never have started this discussion in the first place. Last I checked, this started off with me saying that Trump didn't campaign on blatant white supremacy. I am challenging their views. Defending my own simply comes with the territory of a debate.

endorsement from the KKK and neonazis

The alt-right can endorse whoever they please. But I see no reason to give them the capacity to taint whoever they throw their political support behind.

racist immigration policies based on fear and racism and not facts along with the racist rhetoric

Muslims are not a race. Mexican immigrants are not a race.

having a history of treating black people and women like shit

And these were part of his platform how?

kicking out DACA recipients

Trump simply ended DACA. What happens to the people who were protected by it is up to Congress. Iirc, he gave them 60 days for some sort of proposal which will probably involve amnesty.

cutting healthcare + the history of what America actually used to be like, unwavering support for the police = dogwhistling

To whom? All of these are essentially neo-con policies? Is he dogwhistling to his neo-con base?

What? I originally said that he ran his campaign on racism, and pointed to something he said BEFORE HE EVEN CAMPAIGNED (that he "assumes some of them are good people", in reference to people arriving in the U.S. from Mexico, and also (later on) claiming that a judge couldn't do a good job because he's Mexican. I said nothing about it being the ONLY thing he ran on, however.

1. His statements on Mexican immigrants are not racist
2. His statements on Curiel are racist, but that his little to do with his actual policies

You originally stated that something could only be racist if it has to do with genetic superiority. Now you're changing it to "well, you can also be racist in other ways".

Race is rooted in genetics. If someone denies someone something because of their race, it is based on their genetics (as that is what determines race in our society) and is therefore racist. Apologies for any confusion.

don't know why you find it your moral duty to stick up for him.

Saying that Trump's campaign is based on "blatant white supremacy", in my mind is nothing more than an extreme falsehood, absolutely devoid of any nuance or tact. In my mind, such view points are an inherent detriment to society and should be challenged whenever they are seen. So by no means am I defending the actions of the Trump administration. With the exception of Trump working with Democrats on DACA, I have heard little of anything good from his tenure. But criticizing something for what it's not is not something that I am willing to slide by.

I merely said that a blanket ban on a religious group hardly qualifies as an honest attempt at putting a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage.

In which case I misread you. I thought you were making a claim that you never heard him say he would improve the lives of Americans.

You slither, and it pesters me.

I'mma sneeky snek

no tred pls

I'm not going to not expect Americans to be more discerning of their politicians just because that "isn't the current reality". I don't really care. If people don't want to educate themselves or ask themselves more questions about what motivates the people who create the things that affect their lives, they shouldn't get angry if people get pissed at them for awful decision making. If that'll never happen, then they'll have to learn to put up with blowback from those who have to suffer at the hands of elected politicians.

Ultimately, people become content with blowback. It becomes the status quo. If you tell them that the person they voted for is racist, despite them not thinking that they are, then you're more than likely going to make them feel content with racism, rather than do anything meaningful to combat it. The "Libruls call anything racist" sentiment is very much alive among the Republican voter base, and that's not something I want to see.

When he says "Make America Great Again" and his base eats it up yet can't answer when America was "great" for anyone other than people who were straight, white and male

His voter base would disagree with that sentiment wholeheartedly. To them, the concept of "privilege" is nothing more than a liberal concoction designed to illicit a guilty response from anyone who is part of "the system". So it's not that they won't answer, in fact they believe that there was a time in which the US was equal for everyone. You can disagree with what they believe all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that they do indeed believe it to be true.

The phrase "one of the good ones" wouldn't even exist if people who espoused it didn't think all black people were or had the potential to be violent thugs.

I doubt such people think that all black people are bad. Rather, they believe that there is a cultural problem that plagues African Americans.

If people who posted statistics like Trump actually had a concern about the environment "thugs" came from rather than the inherent condition of the people from there, they wouldn't encourage police brutality.

To such people, it is not police brutality. People do not see the world the same way and then come to different conclusions. When someone hears that a black man was assaulted by a cop, the liberal will think that the cop acted out of malice or an overuse of force, while the conservative thinks that the cop's actions were out of self defense or necessary. So they do not encourage police brutality, because to them the problem does not lie with the police officer, but rather with the man who was assaulted.

They'd post more useful and truthful statistics about the state of the school to prison pipeline, racially based job discrimination, wage gaps between minority and majority races, gentrification, school integration.

Again, such problems to them do not exist. Such things are not left out because they are being willfully ignorant or because they do not fit their agenda, but rather that they contest whether or not such problems exist in the first place.

These are ways to change the state of the environment if they actually cared but rather they post false statistics about how blacks kill more of themselves and white people than police which does nothing but speaks to some genetic coding in black people

I fail to see why it inherently would speak to the supposed racial inferiority of black people. Like the disparity in pay between blacks and whites, it can be examined culturally and racially.

Perpetuated throughout the entirety of US history with the distinct purpose of making black people seem like an undesirable racial group.

Not black people as a whole group (although, perhaps on some deep subconscious level, but that is more a biproduct than an purpose), but rather the idea of "black culture" along with anyone who conforms according it.

The crazy part is that this poster might not even be trolling and honestly may believe that he's making well reasoned arguments in good faith...

I know right. It's craaaaaaaaaaazy.

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
My parents and My good friend's husband.

My parents and I only talk about politics in broad generalities. And with the husband I just let him go off about things and pick my spots where I push.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
1. His statements on Mexican immigrants are not racist
2. His statements on Curiel are racist, but that his little to do with his actual policies

Race is rooted in genetics. If someone denies someone something because of their race, it is based on their genetics (as that is what determines race in our society) and is therefore racist. Apologies for any confusion.
Saying "I assume SOME Mexicans who come to the US are good people" isn't racist? Alright!

It's the same racist concept for both statements. His comments suggest be believes Mexicans are inferior. He assumes they are bad people, and he also assumes they are bad at their jobs.

It makes no sense to claim one is racist and the other is not.

..Ok, so you're changing your argument, yet again, from "if it's not explicitly stated that one race's genetics are superior over another's, it's not racist" to "well, ALL racism is rooted in genetics, so you don't need to explicitly state that it's about genetics to have racists views"

If such claims are not based in genetics, then they are claims about the culture of a group. Such claims about culture are ethnocentric, but not racist as it has nothing to do with the race of the group and everything to do with the culture of the group.

This is the whole "blowing in the wind" thing I was talking about before. You can't seem to stick with one argument.

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
Saying "I assume SOME Mexicans who come to the US are good people" isn't racist? Alright!

It's the same racist concept for both statements. His comments suggest be believes Mexicans are inferior. He assumes they are bad people, and he also assumes they are bad at their jobs.

He assumes that that is the case for Mexican immigrants. Note how in that speech he says "They're not sending their best", meaning he thinks that there are Mexicans who would benefit the US, but do not come.

It makes no sense to claim one is racist and the other is not.

One is saying that someone's opinion on the matter is illegitimate because of their race.
The other is saying that the desirable of a people of a race are not coming to the US.

One deals with the race of one person, the other deals with a cultural subset of people within a race.

..Ok, so you're changing your argument, yet again, from "if it's not explicitly stated that one race's genetics are superior over another's, it's not racist" to "well, ALL racism is rooted in genetics, so you don't need to explicitly state that it's about genetics to have racists views"

This is the whole "blowing in the wind" thing I was talking about before. You can't seem to stick with one argument.

It's all ultimately the same argument. Getting upset over something that minor just seems pedantic to be honest.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was driving back from lunch today when I pulled up behind a pick up truck that had two very stickers/magnets on the tailgate. One said "THE MEDIA IS A BRANCH OF THE CORRUPT DEMOCRATS." and the other said "JESUS LOVES YOU....AND TRUMP DOES TOO."

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm finding that some people who I thought were left and actually pretty far right and probably Trump supporters who don't wanna admit it. My co-worker is teaching a class about media and all but admitted to getting info from Fox News. Sigh..

I was driving back from lunch today when I pulled up behind a pick up truck that had two very stickers/magnets on the tailgate. One said "THE MEDIA IS JUST A BRANCH OF THE CORRUPT DEMOCRATS." and the other said "JESUS LOVES YOU....AND TRUMP DOES TOO."
It's sad because a lot of that shit is what trolls would say online.. but some people legitimately believe it.

Which is why it's hard to tell who's trolling and who isn't, sometimes.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. My friend is a conservative Republican til the end. He's a cool dude and we still hang but he had to vote for trump even if he didn't like him. Now we just both laugh at how much of an idiot trump seems to be.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

And you know, I've heard "ensure national security", but never "enhance the way of life of Americans as a national group". This seems like an odd way of phrasing... something else...

I don't see how "banning Muslims is good for the country" (which is essentially what this poster said) isn't racist.

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
Ah yes, "temporary". Just like the War on Terror, or the state of emergency in Egypt imposed after Sadat's assassination attempt (from 1984 until the Arab Spring). Trump doesn't have to advocate for the deportation of citizen Muslims. He doesn't have to be coherent or effectual (which you admit he's not) to have certain intentions. Maybe he just knows he can't do that and feels content trying to ban Muslims from entering the United States. My father knows he can't deport Mexicans but is content in saying something under his breath when he sees them. I knew someone in highschool who couldn't undo the Civil War but was content in never playing basketball with the black kids. Anyway, I have to add that wriggling around what Trump actually believes ("he thinks there is a problem with the vetting process"; why does he think we need to vet all Muslims?) while simultaneously sticking up for his right to not be mislabelled is mildly disconcerting. I don't know why you find it your moral duty to stick up for him.
What a sleight of hand. I merely said that a blanket ban on a religious group hardly qualifies as an honest attempt at putting a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage. You slither, and it pesters me.

You know, I don't care much for the war of words, either. Whether or not Trump is a bonafide White Supremacist, proper noun, is irrelevant to me and it's often niggling that political discussion debases itself into hurled labels, justified or not. But Trump oozes with nauseous unrepentant nationalism and it drips onto everything he touches, well intentioned or not. It's not some cosmic injustice that people would brand him the way they do and if you're really intent on clutching your pearls about it despite having no real skin in the game, I can tell you right now you're just going to derail threads and waste everyone's time.
gotdamn!!!!!!@! hot fire!!!!!

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This thread is an example of what happens when you let trump supporters in. Gish gallop, deflection deflection deflection, dishonest debate tactics, and wasting the time of everyone who knows their arguments are full of shit.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is an example of what happens when you let trump supporters in. Gish gallop, deflection deflection deflection, dishonest debate tactics, and wasting the time of everyone who knows their arguments are full of shit.

Seriously.

Most people should know by now that Trump supporters do not debate in good faith (either because they can't or they're being intentionally obtuse) or they're full on virulent racists.

Let me summarize every debate with a Trump supporter that has ever taken place in real life or the internet.

"Trump is a racist."

"What that is impossible where is the proof?!" <--- This should be a fucking red flag that you're about to enter a debate semantic debate on racism.

[Insert Mexican quote]

"But he said that some were good people though, if he were really racist he'd say all Mexicans!"

[Muslim ban]

"ISLAM IS NOT A RACE!"

Do y'all see where I'm going with this? Stop getting roped in by this shit. You're wasting your time.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This isn't directed at anyone specific but it still amazes me that anyone with an inkling of knowledge about American history specifically pertaining to civil rights and not see a campaign slogan as "Make America Great Again" anything other than questionable, and that's not even getting in to the context of the man or platform it's coming from.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yes. My friend is a conservative Republican til the end. He's a cool dude and we still hang but he had to vote for trump even if he didn't like him. Now we just both laugh at how much of an idiot trump seems to be.
Why did he have to vote for Trump and why do you both laugh at someone who's intent on causing very real misfortune for millions?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I went to dinner over summer with my parents and their co-workers, a husband and wife. The wife said she named a deer she saw Melania, and her baby Barron. So yeah, there's that..

And some of the shit they said at dinner.. I did have to hold my tongue. Can't imagine if they were my parents.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, I don't live in America though. Pretty much everyone I know thinks he is a walking, talking moron

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean yeah some of his stuff is so outrageous it can be humorous, but as someone who could have gotten majority fucked by the healthcare bill and civil rights laws I find it kind of gross that someone who "had to" vote for Trump is now laughing at what an idiot he is. He's always been an idiot and someone who voted for him shouldn't really get that luxury.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Shouldn't get the luxery of what exactly? What do you think the punishment should be for those that voted for Trump?
There shouldn't be a punishment obviously, but it just seemed kinda gross that someone who absolutely had to vote for the R candidate despite being a terrible piece of shit is now laughing at him, despite by the rest of the original poster's description he's gonna keep on voting in people with Trump's same ideals, just with a bit more tact.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
There shouldn't be a punishment obviously, but it just seemed kinda gross that someone who absolutely had to vote for the R candidate despite being a terrible piece of shit is now laughing at him, despite by the rest of the original poster's description he's gonna keep on voting in people with Trump's same ideals, just with a bit more tact.

Would you rather he cheer for him or laugh at him?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Would you rather he cheer for him or laugh at him?
I'd rather he actually stop supporting the party that helped put Trump in power. Laughing at him is kind of silly if you're not going to change your voting habits to move away from people with the same exact policies.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of, but it's because he thinks Trump isn't a part of the 'deep state' that runs the world. I don't even know how to argue with that.