• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one? And why?

• Persona 3 Reload

Votes: 151 49.0%
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Votes: 73 23.7%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 84 27.3%

• Total voters

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I tried Final Fantasy VII Remake until the beating the first boss and it didn't click with me. Maybe I gave up too early. But I am searching for the next JRPG. I don't own FF16 but I am gonna buy it from PSN. I have Game Pass so I can play the other two from there.

Not a big JRPG player. But I really want to play one.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
I love all 3, but Persona 3 seems to have less critics than the other 2 so more chances you'll like it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
What are you looking for?

More old school classics vibe? Hundred Heroes.

More modern? P3R or FF16.

FF16 is also the least JRPG of the three, whichever side of the scale that places it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Persona 3 Reload is an excellent RPG to play. Great combat, exceedingly amazing music, fun cast, and it's Persona. It's always good time.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I'd play Persona 3 on Gamepass. If you like it, you can play Eiyuden later.

FF I'd leave for later since you'd have to pay for it

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Probably Persona. I've not played the remake but have the original, using that as a frame of reference it should be everything you want from a RPG

I don't really consider FFXVI to be an RPG really. It's (imo) a pretty great action game, but a strange hybrid of that action game with a MMO in terms of quest design and story pacing. If that still sounds interesting, it's worth a look, but P3 is a different genre entirely IMO

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eiyuden probably respects your time better than either of the other two options and XVI is barely an RPG at all.

I would probably go Eiyuden > P3 > XVI unless you really feel like playing a 60-hour Devil May Cry game with long stretches of busy work.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
eiyuden ofc, its a well balanced out of the three

p3 is too long and you wont feel the rpgness out of ffxvi as it is devil may cry with the bullet sponge homies

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
What JRPG's do ya like?

My pick is FFXVI because it's a straightforward good ass anime ass story that reminds me of the classic PS1 FF's that had me hooked from start to finish with fantastic characters and performances that should have been Game Award nominee's and while the battle system is not what I wanted, it opens up and does become addicitive when you know how to play with it.

*Also did not enjoy FFVII Remake.

Last edited:

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Can you maybe give details on what didn't click for you with Rebirth or JRPGs? If you want more real time combat, then XVI should at least satisfy that aspect… but I can't really recommend it for anything else beyond the music. P3R completely eclipses it story wise but it'll keep you busy. Can't speak on Eiyuuden.

OP
OP
SilentEagle

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I've never played a Suikoden game and Eiyuden Chronicles has been amazing for me. I'd recommend it to any fan of 90s JRPGs especially if you've never played those Suikoden games because it's all very new and fresh.

I also stopped DQ11.
This is a good hint for me. At least I know I might enjoy from Eiyuden Chronicles since it's not like DQ11 haha. The praise is massive about DQ11. Also it has great reviews but pacing was very slow.
Can you maybe give details on what didn't click for you with Rebirth or JRPGs? If you want more real time combat, then XVI should at least satisfy that aspect… but I can't really recommend it for anything else beyond the music. P3R completely eclipses it story wise but it'll keep you busy. Can't speak on Eiyuuden.
I didn't like the combat that much and I don't mind turn-based combat because I adore Divinity OS and BG3's turn-based combat.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Or, if you haven't played Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon, play that one first.

Great JRPGs for folks not super into JRPGs.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what you like.

Persona games are really slow but have excellent characters and really deep turn based combat. I'm honestly not a huge Persona fan as I find they are overly long, but the quality is undeniable and the Persona system is seriously great.

Eiyuden is a throwback game that is traditional to a fault. It is going to feel more like a comfy adventure with a more throwaway story. This is the game to pick if you want 90s adventure JRPG vibes.

FFXVI is more like a light character action game like Devil May Cry. It has INSANE boss battles but not really any RPG systems. It's more like playing an interactive movie with slick combat. The game has very distinct quality troughs though with MMORPG tier fetch quests that are part of the main plot and get in the way of the insane highs of the glorious boss battles.

Also my 2 cents the combat in FFVII Remake takes a bit to click as it's pretty deceptively strategically dense so depending on what put you off it I'd give it a little more time. The first time I did the bombing run mission in the demo I hated the combat, then I read a few tips online and tried it again and it became my favorite action based JRPG battle system. I personally find it scratches the "modern JRPG" itch a lot better than FFXVI, but there's many who prefer FFXVI too. Personally this game captures the tone of a PS1 era JRPG better than any other AAA modern era JRPG.

Also Yakuza 7 Like A Dragon is amazing and I think also on PS Plus and Game Pass so I'd also consider that. I like it more than any of these games listed except 7 Remake. The combat is quite simple, and the story is very non-traditional for a JRPG, but I love the characters and side quest writing so much. 7 Also has a fantastic overall story, though I found 8 to be much weaker.

Last edited:

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
FF16 is more of a DMC-lite with fetch quests and a lot of cutscenes. Not much more RPGing going on than the average action game.

Persona 3 Reload is currently my game of the year. It's a beautiful update to an already fantastic game that somehow makes one of the most emotional stories of the genre even more devastating. Hard recommend x

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even love remake all that much but man is it leagues better than XVI.

XVI is fun for 10-15 hours and then steadily declines before taking a sharp nosedive and exploding on impact. I can only assume that people who claim to enjoy it were paid to do so.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would go with Like A Dragon 7 or 8.

If you have a JRPG itch I'm not sure how well FF16 can scratch it.

OP
OP
SilentEagle

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Eiyuden probably respects your time better than either of the other two options and XVI is barely an RPG at all.

I would probably go Eiyuden > P3 > XVI unless you really feel like playing a 60-hour Devil May Cry game with long stretches of busy work.

eiyuden ofc, its a well balanced out of the three

p3 is too long and you wont feel the rpgness out of ffxvi as it is devil may cry with the bullet sponge homies
Yeah maybe long games if the games have pacing problems makes me bored and want to drop it. Maybe Eiyuden is the best choice.
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Or, if you haven't played Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon, play that one first.

Great JRPGs for folks not super into JRPGs.

Yeah I would go with Like A Dragon 7 or 8.
Never played Yakuza game before. I was thinking to play Judgement but I am not sure.
Depends what you like.

Persona games are really slow but have excellent characters and really deep turn based combat. I'm honestly not a huge Persona fan as I find they are overly long, but the quality is undeniable and the Persona system is seriously great.

Eiyuden is a throwback game that is traditional to a fault. It is going to feel more like a comfy adventure with a more throwaway story. This is the game to pick if you want 90s adventure JRPG vibes.

FFXVI is more like a light character action game like Devil May Cry. It has INSANE boss battles but not really any RPG systems. It's more like playing an interactive movie with slick combat. The game has very distinct quality troughs though with MMORPG tier fetch quests that are part of the main plot and get in the way of the insane highs of the glorious boss battles.

Also my 2 cents the combat in FFVII Remake takes a bit to click as it's pretty deceptively strategically dense so depending on what put you off it I'd give it a little more time. The first time I did the bombing run mission in the demo I hated the combat, then I read a few tips online and tried it again and it became my favorite action based JRPG battle system. I personally find it scratches the "modern JRPG" itch a lot better than FFXVI, but there's many who prefer FFXVI too. Personally this game captures the tone of a PS1 era JRPG better than any other AAA modern era JRPG.

Also Yakuza 7 Like A Dragon is amazing and I think also on PS Plus and Game Pass so I'd also consider that. I like it more than any of these games listed except 7 Remake. The combat is quite simple, and the story is very non-traditional for a JRPG, but I love the characters and side quest writing so much. 7 Also has a fantastic overall story, though I found 8 to be much weaker.
I think I just don't like games with pacing problems. DQ11 was extremely boring and I dropped it. Maybe I should give FF7 Remake another chance.

Persona 3 Reload and Eiyuden looks great. I just can't decide haha.

I do have both Game Pass and PS+. Can I jump into Like A Dragon without playing any other Yakuza game?

FF16 is more of a DMC-lite with fetch quests and a lot of cutscenes. Not much more RPGing going on than the average action game.

Persona 3 Reload is currently my game of the year. It's a beautiful update to an already fantastic game that somehow makes one of the most emotional stories of the genre even more devastating. Hard recommend x
I also didn't like Devil May Cry 5 but I enjoyed from 4 a lot. Looks like I'll wait for PS+ release for FF16.
I don't even love remake all that much but man is it leagues better than XVI.

XVI is fun for 10-15 hours and then steadily declines before taking a sharp nosedive and exploding on impact. I can only assume that people who claim to enjoy it were paid to do so.
Offf. That's rough. Yeah I am gonna wait for PS+ release for FF16.
May I introduce you to: FFVIII?
Too old for me. I want to experience newer games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think I just don't like games with pacing problems. DQ11 was extremely boring and I dropped it. Maybe I should give FF7 Remake another chance.

I do have both Game Pass and PS+. Can I jump into Like A Dragon without playing any other Yakuza game?

Yes. Like a Dragon 7 is a perfectly fine starting point for a new player. Infinite Wealth (LAD8) less so, but it's still quite good.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

You can absolutely play LAD 7 without playing other Yakuza games. My warning to you is the start is a bit slow due to setup so give yourself a good hour or two to get into it but once it opens up it is great from then on with very few pacing bumps.

Between Eiyuden and P3R I think Eiyuden is way more to the point and snappy so maybe easier to get into if you're concerned about pacing.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend the new Yakuza games but honestly they are pretty slow moving, the first of the new ones less so, but the latest is not well paced at all imo. That said the persona games also are not paced well imo, and I don't think I'd even categorise XVI as an rpg, so I guess pick the middle one

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I really want to replay it but I hate what the remaster did to Squall's character model.

Old school, eh?

bestlookingguyhere.jpg

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I have not played any of your options but would hesitantly second Like a Dragon 7. It's fantastic though and through, but it's also quite long which might not work for you. From the poll options Eiyuden is so new that you might want to wait for public opinion to really land somewhere, Persona is long, and Final Fantasy XVI is probably fine but if you're really hunting for a distinctly Japanese style RPG I'm not sure if it's the best suggestion (though it's also half off right now on PSN so that's a pretty good deal).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you haven't played it already, I'd recommend Persona 5 Royal over P3R. Persona 5 Royal is a very long game (around 90-100 hours), but it's much more engaging right from the start than most JRPGs. P3R, on the other hand, takes a while before the story gets interesting.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Have you played Persona 3 before? If not, I highly recommend that one. It's by far the best story and gameplay out of the three. As long as you're into anime stuff, you'll have an absolutely EXCELLENT time. It's also a good intro into the larger Megami Tensei franchise, which has even better games. But if you HAVE played Persona 3 before, then I don't know if this version adds enough to be worth it to anyone other than a hardcore fan, and most of those already played it. lol

Eiyuden Chronicles is alright. I'm only like two hours into it so still really early but I'm enjoying it so far. It's definitely trying to deliberately invoke PS1 JRPGs, so if you miss that era (which I do tbf) it might scratch that particular itch. But I do find some of the characters REALLY annoying so far and the story seems kinda basic. A quick glance at the OT shows Suikoden fans saying the game doesn't live up to the series it's following up on. I only played Suikoden 3 and I can barely remember it so I can't really comment there. But worth keeping in mind, I guess. Still, it doesn't seem bad by any means. But I myself am debating if I want to continue this or Unicorn Overlord. Both are kinda basic in the story department sadly.

Final Fantasy XVI is... well I have a lot of issues with it. I'm not going to call it a bad game. But I am going to call it a boring game. The story, characters, and gameplay all start off really fucking good. But by a few hours in the monotony sets in. TERRIBLY dull dialogue, awful side quests, boring characters, average story, non-existent RPG mechanics. It's an action game spread out to the length of a RPG and the pacing suffers significantly for it. Other people love it though, so I suggest giving it a chance yourself one day. But ultimately it's a Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry hybrid that fails to live up to either series imo. If you're really looking for the next great Final Fantasy game, it's FFVII Rebirth.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

I know you're just posting the meme, but the replacement character model just completely ignores the game's artstyle.

Nomura's designs in FFVIII are quite grounded and realistic in their facial features and proportions - a deliberate departure from his very Toriyama like designs from FFVII. But the remaster just throws that out and makes him look like a generic anime protagonist:

2291199_1.png

They still sell the original version, or you can emulate.

That solves some other issues too.

Yeah - I have the original on Steam and the Playstation store, but I was hoping to play portable so I might have to dig out my Vita.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I didn't like the combat that much and I don't mind turn-based combat because I adore Divinity OS and BG3's turn-based combat.

Ohh I see. Out of what you've suggested, I would definitely vouch for P3R and defer to those who mention Eiyuuden. I saw you mention taking issue to bad pacing and I would second staying clear of FFXVI, poor pacing is one of its biggest failings. I'd keep an eye out for Metaphor ReFantazio and Shin Megami Tensei V Vengeance too in terms of battle system, though the latter will have to prove it has better story pacing than its initial version.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Buy Eiyuden and FFXVI, but wait for Eiyuden patch and starts FFXVI instead. P3R is fine, but I would wait for female protagonist version.

Also if you haven't played Chained Echoes, get on it ASAP.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I know you're just posting the meme, but the replacement character model just completely ignores the game's artstyle.

Nomura's designs in FFVIII are quite grounded and realistic in their facial features and proportions - a deliberate departure from his very Toriyama like designs from FFVII. But the remaster just throws that out and makes him look like a generic anime protagonist:

2291199_1.png

Yeah - I have the original on Steam and the Playstation store, but I was hoping to play portable so I might have to dig out my Vita.

Yeah, was just poking fun. I understand the argument about the style being too different from the original intent. <3

OP
OP
SilentEagle

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Persona 3 Reload for sure. I really liked FFXVI but if you're looking for "JRPG" qualities, you might find it lacking.
I am not fan of JRPGs but I do really play Japanese game these days.
If you haven't played it already, I'd recommend Persona 5 Royal over P3R. Persona 5 Royal is a very long game (around 90-100 hours), but it's much more engaging right from the start than most JRPGs. P3R, on the other hand, takes a while before the story gets interesting.
I have OG P5 for PS4 but I heard P5R has QoL improvements and also native PS5 version. I don't have it so I need to buy it. But not now. I am gonna wait for sale or PS+ release.
Have you played Persona 3 before? If not, I highly recommend that one. It's by far the best story and gameplay out of the three. As long as you're into anime stuff, you'll have an absolutely EXCELLENT time. It's also a good intro into the larger Megami Tensei franchise, which has even better games. But if you HAVE played Persona 3 before, then I don't know if this version adds enough to be worth it to anyone other than a hardcore fan, and most of those already played it. lol

Eiyuden Chronicles is alright. I'm only like two hours into it so still really early but I'm enjoying it so far. It's definitely trying to deliberately invoke PS1 JRPGs, so if you miss that era (which I do tbf) it might scratch that particular itch. But I do find some of the characters REALLY annoying so far and the story seems kinda basic. A quick glance at the OT shows Suikoden fans saying the game doesn't live up to the series it's following up on. I only played Suikoden 3 and I can barely remember it so I can't really comment there. But worth keeping in mind, I guess. Still, it doesn't seem bad by any means. But I myself am debating if I want to continue this or Unicorn Overlord. Both are kinda basic in the story department sadly.

Final Fantasy XVI is... well I have a lot of issues with it. I'm not going to call it a bad game. But I am going to call it a boring game. The story, characters, and gameplay all start off really fucking good. But by a few hours in the monotony sets in. TERRIBLY dull dialogue, awful side quests, boring characters, average story, non-existent RPG mechanics. It's an action game spread out to the length of a RPG and the pacing suffers significantly for it. Other people love it though, so I suggest giving it a chance yourself one day. But ultimately it's a Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry hybrid that fails to live up to either series imo. If you're really looking for the next great Final Fantasy game, it's FFVII Rebirth.
Never played Persona 3. I only played Persona 5 for 4-5 hours and enjoyed my time. I think I should choose between P3R and EC but I am gonna download the demo of FF16 if it still exists. Also I really want to dive into rebirth but first game didn't clicked with me after an hour of playing.
Buy Eiyuden and FFXVI, but wait for Eiyuden patch and starts FFXVI instead. P3R is fine, but I would wait for female protagonist version.

Also if you haven't played Chained Echoes, get on it ASAP.
I do have Game Pass so I am gonna play Eiyuden from there. I don't think it will leave the system soon.