• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one? And why?

• Persona 3 Reload

Votes: 151 49.0%
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Votes: 73 23.7%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 84 27.3%

• Total voters

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend Yakuza 7 over any of the ones you have up top. Especially since you don't play many RPGs.

It's more modern than Eiyuden Chronicles, has a great story, and can be finished within 50 hours.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
From your post, FFXVI easily.

The others are both much more traditional RPGs and whilst FFXVI has some issues, the overall journey is excellent and some of the best set pieces and music ever.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I am not fan of JRPGs but I do really play Japanese game these days.

I have OG P5 for PS4 but I heard P5R has QoL improvements and also native PS5 version. I don't have it so I need to buy it. But not now. I am gonna wait for sale or PS+ release.

Never played Persona 3. I only played Persona 5 for 4-5 hours and enjoyed my time. I think I should choose between P3R and EC but I am gonna download the demo of FF16 if it still exists. Also I really want to dive into rebirth but first game didn't clicked with me after an hour of playing.

Well to be honest with you, it might be worth asking yourself why you keep bouncing off these games and what you expect from a different batch. You say here that you're not a fan of JRPGs, but you liked Persona 5, but you stopped playing after 4 hours regardless. What exactly is it you're looking for? Because if you bounced off Persona 5 and Final Fantasy VII, I'm not sure Persona 3 or Eiyuden Chronicle is going to be all that different. Either way, Persona 3 is the clear winner of your poll. Might as well jump in and see if it does anything different for you.

Oct 26, 2017
Eiyuden Chronicles is alright. I'm only like two hours into it so still really early but I'm enjoying it so far. It's definitely trying to deliberately invoke PS1 JRPGs, so if you miss that era (which I do tbf) it might scratch that particular itch. But I do find some of the characters REALLY annoying so far and the story seems kinda basic. A quick glance at the OT shows Suikoden fans saying the game doesn't live up to the series it's following up on. I only played Suikoden 3 and I can barely remember it so I can't really comment there. But worth keeping in mind, I guess. Still, it doesn't seem bad by any means. But I myself am debating if I want to continue this or Unicorn Overlord. Both are kinda basic in the story department sadly.

Correction: Eiyuden doesn't live up to Suikoden II, which is one of the best games ever made. It's very easy to mistake that for being disappointing or bad. It easily lives up to the series as a whole.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Correction: Eiyuden doesn't live up to Suikoden II, which is one of the best games ever made. It's very easy to mistake that for being disappointing or bad. It easily lives up to the series as a whole.
There were several people saying it didn't live up to the series as a whole but I will let you debate that with people who played the whole Suikoden series.
For myself, I'm around 6 hours into Eiyuden Chronicle and while I think the world map and large party size are fun, the writing and story have been very disappointing to me based on what I was expecting. I'm not going to call it a bad game but it's releasing during a hurricane of quality JRPGs so it's got some tough competition.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to be that guy but FF16 is barely an RPG but I also think it's probably my favourite out of those games listed. If you are pretty rigid about the JRPG "genre" then Persona 3.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
As always with these posts, I highly recommend reading spoiler-free reviews/gameplay videos of the games you're thinking of trying. Suggestions you'll get from here will be the personal opinions of folks, which may or may not appeal to your interests.

My vote goes for Final Fantasy 16. Found it the most enjoyable in my case.

OP
OP
SilentEagle

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
As always with these posts, I highly recommend reading spoiler-free reviews/gameplay videos of the games you're thinking of trying. Suggestions you'll get from here will be the personal opinions of folks, which may or may not appeal to your interests.

My vote goes for Final Fantasy 16. Found it the most enjoyable in my case.
It's hard to find a review for my taste. I've seen games that have been praised a lot but made me bored too quickly. Looks like trying is the best way.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
If you did not enjoy FF7 Remake, I'm not really sure you'd enjoy FF16 as they have way more in common than a lot of people on this forum would have you believe. I loved both for a lot of the same reasons, but FF16 does lean more on action.

If you're looking to try other games that blend action and more traditional RPG elements and are willing to play some older titles, I'd highly recommend picking up the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 collection next time it goes on sale.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
As you are apparently not a fan of JRPGs and you don't want to play "old" games, I do not think you would enjoy Eiyuden. From what I've played of it, you really need to be a fan of the genre in general, but also a fan of old school JRPGs specifically, due to some rather outdated mechanics and game design choices.

But at least you can just try it on GamePass, so no loss if you do try it and don't like it.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
FF16 is an action game mate, I would go with any of the others (even 16 is still a good game). And in case you never tried them, Yakuza 7 and 8 are awesome jrpgs.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
I have OG P5 for PS4 but I heard P5R has QoL improvements and also native PS5 version. I don't have it so I need to buy it. But not now. I am gonna wait for sale or PS+ release.
Yeah if you're gonna give P5 another shot sometime it needs to be Royal. Literally the only thing vanilla has over it is the highest difficulty being more difficult. Other than that it's an upgrade on every level.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing on the list is particularly impressive imo. I was looking for a jrpg recently and decided on Ys 9 after seeing it on steam sale this week. Been really digging it about 10 hours in, so take this as a write-in.