OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
This. There is always a way. You just have to focus.
Thanks for replying!

You mentioned seeing a therapist, was it not working? have you tried finding a new one? My brother had problems with his, found a new one and is now doing much better.

Also, how about looking for a new job? Can you apply for grants or some other form of help to pay for school? And it's good that you are setting goals. It will keep you busy.

Again, glad to see you posting. Feel free to vent and ask questions, please we are here to help you.

How do I join the military? It seems like that would solve all my problems.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
OP, you have a little brother that you are responsible for.

If you commit suicide, you won't suffer anymore, but you're condemning your little brother to literally, a life of suffering, regret, and pain. Your brother will always wonder what he did wrong, if there was something he could have done, if maybe he was a better brother or person or maybe less of a burden, then maybe you'd still be alive and he'd have his big brother there with him. If you commit suicide, you will fuck up his life forever. He will never be the same. You will cause irreparable harm to him, and you'll never be able to fix it. Right now, no matter what, as long as you are here there is a chance, however small, that things will turn around, but once you are gone you will have caused permanent destruction to his life.

Think of your little brother. It's not fair, you didn't ask for it, but you're responsible for him.

What the bloody fuck is with these types of replies? Do you think this helps? It doesn't. It's a complete asshole thing to say to someone who is already obviously in a great deal of pain. Don't say shit like this, you're not helping.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus don't do it. 28 is young. If they want to let you go from your job, take it as an opportunity to do something else. A new start.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

It might, but OP it feels like your main problem is being in a stressing environment. It will help you that's for sure so you already have a way better solution.

Moreover you can go back to school, you are smart and you write that's more than 90% of the students. The loan might be stressing but it will buy you some free time to developp your skills, meet interesting people and figure out what you really want to do for a living and how to achieve it.

I believe in you OP. I am sure you can pull it off and you might surprise yourself.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Don't join the military as a way out/last resort. You are essentially giving your life to the government for a set number of years.

That's better than giving up. It can guarantee a life, income, challenges, and goals. I'm not a fan of the military, but come on man. If the other option is giving up, and the military is an option to travel, get paid, and do something...ABSOLUTELY JOIN THE MILITARY!!! 100%

A good friend of mine was stationed in multiple locations that he enjoyed throughout his tour. Including a 3 year run in Hawaii. Dude got to spend his off time on the beaches...and had a lot of fun in bars/places around the world.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's better than giving up. It can guarantee a life, income, challenges, and goals. I'm not a fan of the military, but come on man. If the other option is giving up, and the military is and option to travel, get paid, and do something...ABSOLUTELY JOIN THE MILITARY!!! 100%

Those aren't the only two options. That's not a healthy way to look at it. A decision like that isn't one that should be made without a somewhat clear mind. The military doesn't be magically make depression go away/

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
That's better than giving up. It can guarantee a life, income, challenges, and goals. I'm not a fan of the military, but come on man. If the other option is giving up, and the military is and option to travel, get paid, and do something...ABSOLUTELY JOIN THE MILITARY!!! 100%
If the OP has a history of depression/mental health issues on his medical records than the military may not accept him and people need to be realistic about that possibility. Additionally, if the OP does not have those issues marked down they still shouldn't ignore them when it comes to applying or decide to enter the military as a last resort. There are surely plenty of other options and the military is very stressful and not a decision to be taken lightly.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)

Look up your local recruiter. Go talk with them. It's at the very least an option. A very legitmate one that can help a lot. It can give you a sense of purpose, direction, focus. You can also take advantage of schooling and many other benefits. Anyway, look this may or may not be the answer but it is a positive way to improve your situation. I have many friends who have joined the Air Force and each and every one is better off for it. Good luck bud and please keep us posted!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
You are letting too much fear get to you. Please don't do it and decide you need help again. It's not worth it.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Those aren't the only two options. That's not a healthy way to look at it. A decision like that isn't one that should be made without a somewhat clear mind. The military doesn't be magically make depression go away/

I don't disagree, but I do have a friend that had basically no way out as far as he was concerned. Very, VERY, poor family. No real connections, depression, awful home life, abuse..etc.

It's an option OP shouldn't cross off the list.

He'd probably get access to health care/help through that option too.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
I'm going to contact my bank asking for loans. I will see if I can get close to fifty as I saw was an option.

My credit is very good.

I was sent a.letter in the mail saying I could get maximum 50,000 for school.

Dec 13, 2018
Military sounds like a great option. OP did well in school and proud of what he achieved while he could support himself. While mental health issues are clearly present, extreme financial pressures can obviously exacerbate the situation. Hit up your recruiter, it's not the only option, but you definitely have a drive to get yourself out of your financial situation.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to contact my bank asking for loans. I will see if I can get close to fifty as I saw was an option.

My credit is very good.

You're going to be okay, OP.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect and life will always throw curveballs, but you clearly have some good options available.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
If the OP has a history of depression/mental health issues on his medical records than the military may not accept him and people need to be realistic about that possibility. Additionally, if the OP does not have those issues marked down they still shouldn't ignore them when it comes to applying or decide to enter the military as a last resort. There are surely plenty of other options and the military is very stressful and not a decision to be taken lightly.

This is true OP. However, it's a good idea to look for options, all of them. Don't give up.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This thread is here for members to offer their support to another member. Nobody is expected to be an expert on counseling, but please do not make this difficult conversation even harder with hostility towards one another.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017

My credit is very good.

I have only skimmed the thread, so I apologize if this is repeated advice, but you should also put in a FAFSA application for federal grants. Once you're financially independent from parents, they help a lot to cover the costs of school and then you're also approved for some amount of student loans through Sallie Mae, etc.

Best of luck. We believe you'll get over this and go on to do great things. :)

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

My credit is very good.

Good luck to you, OP. We'll be here if you want to keep sharing how you're doing. Good to see you looking at your options.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I have only skimmed the thread, so I apologize if this is repeated advice, but you should also put in a FAFSA application for federal grants. Once you're financially independent from parents, they help a lot to cover the costs of school and then you're also approved for some amount of student loans through Sallie Mae, etc.

This too. See if there are any local orgs/schools that can help you find out if you qualify for financial aid/grants.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

Head to a local recruitment office. You're 28, right? The Marines cap enlistment at age 28, so you may not be able to enlist (I am not sure if the age cap includes 28 year olds or not), but the Army's age cap is 35.

Speaking with a recruitment officer will get the ball rolling, and they'll explain how the entire process works and how you'll be sorted into a role that best suits your abilities. I definitely think it's worth looking into. Could definitely bring some stability and sense of belonging, and help put you on a better career path :)

Oct 25, 2017
Head to a local recruitment office. You're 28, right? The Marines cap enlistment at age 28, so you may not be able to enlist (I am not sure if the age cap includes 28 year olds or not), but the Army's age cap is 35.

Speaking with a recruitment officer will get the ball rolling, and they'll explain how the entire process works and how you'll be sorted into a role that best suits your abilities. I definitely think it's worth looking into. Could definitely bring some stability and sense of belonging, and help put you on a better career path :)
There are waivers if you are over the age limit. I know people in there 30s that got in

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
FAFSA not only helps for federal grants, but also gets you hooked up with financial loans as well. The loans seem like a lot up front, but the payback on them is supposed to be structured in a way that you can pay them back over like 10 years. GL OP

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd advise again op, to check out an apprenticeship. You'll gain a great skill, schooling is a couple months a year, you get paid while working. Something like Electrician. They make a good amount of money too. Definitely something to look into.

Good luck man, you can do whatever you put your mind to.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
FAFSA not only helps for federal grants, but also gets you hooked up with financial loans as well. The loans seem like a lot up front, but the payback on them is supposed to be structured in a way that you can pay them back over like 10 years. GL OP

THIS. I actually have been out of school since 2012 and have not, for better or worse, made a single payment yet. They're extremely lenient about letting you defer and continuously remind me that they don't work like standard loans and they want to help you through tough times.

FWIW, I'm set to start finally making payments towards what I owe in a few months.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Also look into scholarships, especially at the institution you decide to go to. I know where I work, a lot of scholarships in our alumni foundation go unclaimed every semester.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My credit is very good.

you're going to be fine bro. hang on and try to smile once in a while ;) things well get better, believe me, i suffer from chronic depression and other ills and no matter gow dark shit gets, there's always a path, man, always a way to enjoy live a bit better :)

all the best to you and your brother, you're stonger than you think

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Quit that job. Even if it paid $100 an hour it's not worth what it's doing to you. Do you have someone you could stay with in the meantime? You're clearly very smart, there's plenty other jobs out there for you.

Oct 27, 2017

My credit is very good.

So here's some advice about student loans, don't do them through a bank, get them from the government. Most private loans do not have a grace period while you are in school which means repaying them as soon as the loan is divested to you. Government loans you are in deferment while in school, and subsidized loans even cover the interest.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa

Milly79

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have only skimmed the thread so far, but don't Mods typically alert local authorities on these matters?

Oct 30, 2017
My dad was a very wise man and he once told me that Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Don't quit OP. You'll find a way to improve your situation.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

My credit is very good.

That or FAFSA will get you plenty to get you into a million different careers or directions that are clean starts. Debt sucks but it is NOTHING compared to death. Choose something that interests you or at least can help you to HEAL and recover mentally and emotionally and try a new path. Just hang on and keep trying. Everyone here is here for you.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have you considered moving to a foreign country in south america perhaps ?

The cheaper cost of living and new environment can really change things

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Don't do this man. You can always find another job, it is not worth killing yourself over. You are still young, think of your little brother. I know life can be very difficult but being alive and physically healthy is a gift in itself that you need to appreciate.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I completely understand these feelings, OP, and get them every day. It is not the answer though, and you will be missed.

Please seek help. DM me if you need to talk, as well. I will never ignore the mesage(s), and won't judge.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway

My credit is very good.

giphy.gif

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Sell what you have and leave everything behind. Buy a plane ticket and come back in a few years if ever.

Also don't do it of course because you can't see clear right now.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

My credit is very good.

That is a good idea, TC. Look at your options. You know your job is making you extremely unhappy, so it is time to figure out the next step. Struggling is awful. I know that. But struggling, and suffering, can subside. You can recover. You can definitely be happy. Taking your own life is irreversible. There is no recovering from that. Please don't do anything too rash.

Were here for you, man!

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Please dont do it. Literally nothing is gained and everything is lost. Call a hotline, do whatever it takes, just live.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

My credit is very good.

Hi LexingtonKruger It's heartening to see you're looking into options for the future. After you've talked to the bank, I encourage you to talk to a financial aid counselor at the college you want to attend. Applying for financial aid through the U.S. Dept. of Education - as opposed to private lenders - gets you better rates and better protections. At 28, you have sterling credit? That's a pretty big friggin deal. It's a testament to your discipline and solid decision-making.

Thank you for posting this thread. I'm happy I got to know your forum name and a little bit of your background. I'm going to remember you and your story. I hope you stick around. I'll seriously miss you if I don't see you post anymore.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Try using a Credit union vs a common banks like BoA or WF
You've got farther in life than I have even though it's unfortunate, you can do it. People, many people have made it out if this.
Just give it that extra push. You CAN and WILL do it and live your life to the fullest in the best and the worst.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it looks like we were able to help, OP. Please keep us updated! We are all rooting for you! Things will work out!

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey I've been in your shoes.
It does get better.
If you want to talk pm me.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Good stop gap is a minimum wage part time throwaway job to pay the Bills and pad your resume so there is less of a gap in employment. It will make the loan go further, and you wont feel pressure to keep it.

Good Luck OP